Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards Lend Support to 'We Are Not Afraid' Campaign
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 14, 2016 19:41

Keith Richards, Robert Plant, Ringo Starr, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel and over 175 more artists have lent their support to "We Are Not Afraid," a global campaign aimed at raising funds for the refugee crisis and victims of religious and political violence.

Yoko Ono, Iggy Pop, Brian Wilson, Debbie Harry, Jeff Tweedy, Chuck D, Buddy Guy, My Morning Jacket, Nile Rodgers and many more have also joined the campaign, which centers around the song "We Are Not Afraid" by Nigerian singer Majek Fashek.

On September 29th, a video for the track, directed by Kevin Godley, will features images of the 175 artists involved in the campaign holding signs declaring they are "Not Afraid."

All proceeds generated by the project will be donated to Human Rights Watch (HRW) and the International Rescue Committee (IRC).

"The idea for We Are Not Afraid resulted from the increasing senseless violence experienced by citizens of this world and a desire to try and make a difference by bringing awareness to the issues and the organizations dedicated to helping the victims," the campaign, created by concert promoter Steve Weitzman, states on its website. "At countless rallies of support following attacks around the world people can be spotted holding NOT AFRAID signs. These images inspired this effort."

"Irrational hatred is a cancer of humanity's own design," Godley added. "To succumb would mean the failure of our species."

Other artists involve include Questlove, Pussy Riot, George Clinton, Susan Sarandon, Thurston Moore, Fiona Apple, Fred Armisen, Phil Lesh, Ralph Steadman, the Doors' Robby Krieger and John Densmore, Shepard Fairey and more. See the full list of participating artists at We Are Not Afraid.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Keith Richards Lend Support to 'We Are Not Afraid' Campaign
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 14, 2016 20:50

Keith in Politics?

Great to see Kevin Godley doing the video.............last week I did some investigation on his video background with Lol Creme great guys

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 15, 2016 16:08

NICOS
Keith in Politics?

Humanity, not politics.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 15, 2016 17:21

marcovandereijk
NICOS
Keith in Politics?

Humanity, not politics.

I see it as humanity as opposed to politics as well.

On the photos page there are a couple of artists who modify the "Not Afraid" line with a slightly political slant but, even so, I still read it as far more a humanitarian movement than political. On the "about" page it doesn't lead me to believe that it's political though there could be some overlap. It states: "All proceeds generated by the project will be donated to Human Rights Watch (HRW) and the International Rescue Committee (IRC)". Possibly someone with more knowledge of these organizations than I have could advise us as to their leanings. I have not researched them. Nor have I donated to them.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 16, 2016 02:12

Date: September 16, 2016 11:41

marcovandereijk
NICOS
Keith in Politics?

Humanity, not politics.

thumbs up

Date: September 16, 2016 11:44

I'm baffled by people who see this as a negative thing. How can it be?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2016 14:54

DandelionPowderman
I'm baffled by people who see this as a negative thing. How can it be?

Artists supporting a global campaign aimed at raising funds for the refugee crisis and victims of religious and political violence
seems to me a very fine and upstanding thing indeed. The series of photos doesn't impress me, though.
It's too easy to see it as lem motlow describes, and some of them (Keith included) weren't even into it enough
to hold up a blank card (or hand) for the organization to photoshop the slogan onto.
I reckon the video will make a better impression. The goals here deserve it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 16:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 16, 2016 16:42

Great humanitarian cause, great message for young people and old to hear in this age of regressive intolerance.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 17, 2016 00:57

Aaaaaannnnnddddd ... here we go again ... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 17, 2016 02:34

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-17 07:03 by triceratops.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 17, 2016 03:34

not closed yet?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 17, 2016 11:41

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

[iorr.org]

There are few rules on IORR:

Please do not offend
Please do NOT discuss other private persons in the public
Please NO politics and NO religion talks
Off Topic posts may be deleted if they are too many and/or silly

Bjornulf

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10