Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: 2000 Light Years From Home
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 12, 2016 11:15

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

2000 Light Years From Home

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: July-September 1967
Recording location: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
Producers: The Rolling Stones
Chief engineer: Glyn Johns

First Released: 8th December: The Rolling Stones (LP) ‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’
Label: Decca TXS 103

Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Bass: Keith Richards
Mellotron: Brian Jones
Synthesizer: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Background vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Maracas: Mick Jagger
Claves
: Eddie Kramer

2000 Light Years From Home

Sun turning round with graceful motion
We're setting off with soft explosion
Bound for a star with fiery ocean

It's so very lonely
You're a hundred light years from home

Freezing red deserts turn to dark
Energy here in every part

It's so very lonely
You're 600 light years from home

It's so very lonely
You're a thousand light years from home

It's so very lonely
You're a thousand light years from home

Bell flight 14, you now can land
See you on Aldebaran
Safe from the green desert sand

It's so very lonely
You're 2000 light years from home

It's so very lonely
You're 2000 light years from home

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 10:56 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: 2000 Light Years From Home (New)
Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:05

Still an amazing track. Restored versions of the Jumping Jack Flash and Child Of The Moon video's recently turned up re edited by George Wada Dog Paw Production. Which look great. Hope the same happens with the 2000 LYFH video soon.

Date: September 12, 2016 12:08

It's in my top 5-list – what a track!

All the live versions I've heard were excellent, too, even the one where Mick struggled for a bit at Glastonbury.

Should be played at EVERY Stones show thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:33

The album Their Satanic Majesties Request is 50% terrible BS and 50% very good stuff. "2000 lightyears" clearly belongs to the category of very good stuff (together with Citadel, Rainbow, and slightly less, Lantern and Another Land).

The lyrics are quite silly, but the song sounds great. Live I find it works less well, and I am not very fond of Mick Jaggers "psychedelic dancing" either, but it's to their merit that they give it a try sometimes. I would prefer a more experimental approach to it maybe, but that's probably hard to do these days.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:44

DandelionPowderman

All the live versions I've heard were excellent, too, even the one where Mick struggled for a bit at Glastonbury.

I share your love of this song and loved it live on Steel Wheels, but played at every show? Eh, I used to think that about some songs like SFTD until they became play-by-the-numbers warhorses. Maybe it's best to save some songs for a rare treat. Even Midnight Rambler used to be such a treat because you never knew if you were gonna get it.. Now you just expect it and it's not as big a thrill.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:49

....like where did it come from ?? ... like Sympathy ya cant compare it ta anything else....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:50

Fans of The Beatles can say what they like about Their Satanic Majesty's Request being a poor relation to Sgt Pepper but here is one of several songs from the album that blew the Fabs away in 1967.

The Beatles' might have set psychedelia in popular motion but here were the Stones pushing it to the furthest reaches of sonic space, creating a masterpiece that has stood the test of time.

2000 Light Years From Home just dazzles in its kaleidocopic vision of space travel. Let's not forget that this fabulously disorientating piece of music was composed and recorded before space exploration was popularised by the release of the film 2001 in 1968.

This is one of Brian's standout moments on Satanic too - his ethereal mellotron creating those mesmerising cold, glacial sheets of sound that really make it seem the whole song so other-worldly and spacey.

And keeping it all together while this fascinating reverie takes us on a journey into space is Charlie's brilliant drumming - especially that dramatic burst after the middle eight before Jagger bursts back in with the line 'Bell Flight 14'.

For teenagers of a certain age, this was the stuff that pipedreams were made for. It remains to this day one of the very finest pieces of psychedelia ever written.

Date: September 12, 2016 12:56

It's somewhere in my TOP10 list..........a songs that never get bored.....................

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 12, 2016 13:05

From Tokyo, 1990: youtube

One of the few "psychadelic" songs I do appreciate, mainly because of the guitar work
during the verses.
I am not very fond of these instrumental breaks without any melody or rhythm. Main objective
I have, is that it is hardly clear where the sounds are coming from. Pre recorded?
Synthesizers? Mostly noise that I find hard to dance to.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 12, 2016 13:06

Love it. Was great to hear it live at the 1990 Manchester gig.

This and Rainbow etc did a lot to inspire the late 1980s psychedelia/Madchester stuff. More than Pepper did I reckon.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2016 13:28

A wonderfully trippy, far-out journey to the furthest reaches of the galaxy. One of the many gems on the woefully-underrated TSMR album, 2000LYFH transports me every time.

Drew

Date: September 12, 2016 13:41

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

I share your love of this song and loved it live on Steel Wheels, but played at every show? Eh, I used to think that about some songs like SFTD until they became play-by-the-numbers warhorses. Maybe it's best to save some songs for a rare treat. Even Midnight Rambler used to be such a treat because you never knew if you were gonna get it.. Now you just expect it and it's not as big a thrill.

The main reason is that I can't see how it would become stale (like SFTD, SMU and HTW).

It's due to the genius writing, the atmosphere of the song and the arrangement, I believe.

Date: September 12, 2016 13:44

marcovandereijk
From Tokyo, 1990: youtube

One of the few "psychadelic" songs I do appreciate, mainly because of the guitar work
during the verses.
I am not very fond of these instrumental breaks without any melody or rhythm. Main objective
I have, is that it is hardly clear where the sounds are coming from. Pre recorded?
Synthesizers? Mostly noise that I find hard to dance to.

The sounds are pre-recorded (like on the mellotrone played by Brian on the original), but the playing is live. i.e. you get a violin sound, but the notes are played there and then.

Mind you, the stuff that Matt played after the song in 1989/90 is NOT something I enjoyed very much smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2016 13:58

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

The main reason is that I can't see how it would become stale (like SFTD, SMU and HTW).

It's due to the genius writing, the atmosphere of the song and the arrangement, I believe.

You are write about the genius factor. Granted, I wouldn't complain about hearing it more often live...unless they played the soul right out of it like what happened to Sympathy For The Devil. I used to think hearing that live was a huge thrill. Of course, that was based on my impression from Ya Yas and Love You Live. Was still thrilled to hear it in 1989 and could even forgive the drum loop, but when they repeated that arrangement tour after tour after tour...

Date: September 12, 2016 14:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

You are write about the genius factor. Granted, I wouldn't complain about hearing it more often live...unless they played the soul right out of it like what happened to Sympathy For The Devil. I used to think hearing that live was a huge thrill. Of course, that was based on my impression from Ya Yas and Love You Live. Was still thrilled to hear it in 1989 and could even forgive the drum loop, but when they repeated that arrangement tour after tour after tour...

I think Mick's SFTD-delivery became worse by the years as well.

2000 LYFH is more of an atmosphere than a song, imo, hence Mick's «disinterest» wouldn't be able to kill it as much, perhaps smiling smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 12, 2016 16:16

The Stones in space in 1967, Brian Jones weird playing the mellotron made this song timeless - one of my favourite

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 12, 2016 16:37

Always loved it ... I was in shock when it made a live appearance, back in that 1989 PPV special, now its about time they do the same w/ 2000 Man (i guess that will be the next track talk).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2016 17:04

Killer tune, absolutely awesome.

Date: September 12, 2016 17:21

LeonidP
Always loved it ... I was in shock when it made a live appearance, back in that 1989 PPV special, now its about time they do the same w/ 2000 Man (i guess that will be the next track talk).

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 12, 2016 17:38

I wouldn't consider psychedelic music as part of the Stones forte, but they do excel at it with this tune (though She's a Rainbow and Dandelion are much better tunes imo ).
Interesting to note the about face they did after this experimental detour with Beggars Banquet...pretty much the antithesis of all the spaced out trippy dippy psychedlic stuff which sounded a bit contrived coming from them. This tune has always sounded a bit too sci-fi for my taste as if it could be the theme song for the Star Trek tv series (Spock and Captian Kirk floating around in space, etc.). Curious as to why the Stones would abandon it all - did they realize it wasn't really who they were as a rock and roll band? Keith recently dismissed the Grateful Dead and Sgt. Peppers...maybe he was the one who decided enough was enough with all the psychedlic shenanigans. I do like alot of psychedelic music from other bands during this period, with the absolute best being Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. As for the Stones, glad they moved on in a completely different direction and gifted us with some of the best rock and roll albums ever recorded by any band.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 12, 2016 18:47

Hairball
I wouldn't consider psychedelic music as part of the Stones forte, but they do excel at it with this tune (though She's a Rainbow and Dandelion are much better tunes imo ).
Interesting to note

It might not have been part of their forte but they sure did make some of the most vibrant psychedelic music at the time. We Love You is a psychedelic masterpiece that out-Beatles the Beatles with its message of love. (The Beatles said All You Need Is Love but the Stones were more direct in their sentiment with their message of We Love You.

Paint It Black, Citadel, and as you mentioned, She's A Rainbow and Dandelion are superb examples of psychedelia. Listen to exceptional later tunes like Jigsaw Puzzle, Monkey Man and Stray Cat Blues and you can still hear the psychedelic edge inherent in their music at this time.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 12, 2016 18:54

Like an development of Miss Amanda Jones...Pop in Space...Good one...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 12, 2016 19:20

...They also played at Glastonbury Festival.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 12, 2016 19:20

Without the slightest doubt the best track on TSMR, a stellar tune with great unique atmosphere. The studio version imo can´t be transfered onstage in all it´s glory but the live-versions are definitvely worth listening. I was blown away when I experienced that song live in 1990, what amazing visual effects!

I absolutely love the way the live version of 1989/90 blends into Sympathy, just awsome. Never noticed Mick struggling at Glastonbury although I listened to/watched the concert a couple of times.

Date: September 12, 2016 19:41

HMS
Without the slightest doubt the best track on TSMR, a stellar tune with great unique atmosphere. The studio version imo can´t be transfered onstage in all it´s glory but the live-versions are definitvely worth listening. I was blown away when I experienced that song live in 1990, what amazing visual effects!

I absolutely love the way the live version of 1989/90 blends into Sympathy, just awsome. Never noticed Mick struggling at Glastonbury although I listened to/watched the concert a couple of times.

Mick was woefully off key in the first verse. Looked like he was having trouble hearing the band well enough to pick up the right notes. If you really couldn't hear that, then that tells me something about your ears and why you can't tell the difference between things like Bill Wyman and other bass players, etc. Don't mean to be insulting but it seems like you don't have a good ear, seeing as how you slag off albums like Exile and praise Dirty Work.

Date: September 12, 2016 20:05

BB is not a clean break from TSMR, imo. The footprints of BB's predecessor are all over tracks like Jig Saw Puzzle (the mellotron), "Citadel #2" (Stray Cat Blues) and even in the spaced-out blues Parachute Woman + in JJF and Child Of The Moon.

IMO, BB wouldn't have been as great without the freakiness that still was there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-12 20:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 12, 2016 20:14

DandelionPowderman
BB is not a clean break from TSMR, imo. The footprints of BB's predecessor are all over tracks like Jig Saw Puzzle (the mellotron), "Citadel #2" (Stray Cat Blues) and even in the spaced-out blues Parachute Woman + in JJF and Child Of The Moon.

IMO, BB wouldn't have been as great without the freakiness that still was there.

Good points DP. I don't think anything in the Stones catalog is a clean break from whatever preceded it. Even on albums that made radical left or right turns, discerning ears can hear the DNA of what they evolved from...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2016 20:17

HMS

(/quote]

ONE of the best. She's A Rainbow is an absolute classic. One day I'll get off my ass and made a Psychedelic Stones compilation. Dandelion is another keeper.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 22:34

This must have been one of Stu's favorites! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 13, 2016 00:44

Here's a nice remix; cool video too ...

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home