Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: 19th Nervous Breakdown (New)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 6, 2016 14:20

Together with 'Paint it black' one of the best pop-songs from the sixties...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 6, 2016 14:33

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
19th Nervous Breakdown and Mother's Little Helper should be warhorses in concert!

+1

An absolute crackerjack of a track, and a crying shame it's rarely played. Perhaps a candidate for the setlist at the Alleycat grinning smiley ?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2016 18:21

Silver Dagger
And ain't this version at the Double Door, Chicago in 1997 one of the best. What a surprise to have it at that half tempo too.

[www.youtube.com]

It's okay, and it's great that they played it, but it's one of those tunes that doesn't seem to translate as slower. The frantic energy of the original is part of what makes it such a great song.

That live version is more subdued. Yeah, granted, they're not ever going to play it like they did in the mid-1960s because they're not that band.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 7, 2016 04:48

marcovandereijk
Found Bill's quote on the brilliant timeisonourside.com website, but it does not say
what year it's from:

Bill Wyman
I played a small-bodied Framus on that one. Not the red Framus bass that I used a lot onstage around that time but the one with the brown and yellow stripes across it that looked like a humbug. It was semi-acoustic. Andrew (Oldham) or Keith said something like, Why don't you do something at the end there, some kind of a lick that will fill up the space between the vocals and the band? I came up with that Bo Diddley thing really, I just bounced the string with the top of my finger on the pickup, and ran my finger down the string. That is what created that so-called "dive-bombing" sound. Can't do it on guitars I own now.

So it was Bill.

Date: September 7, 2016 08:37

Wry Cooter
marcovandereijk
Found Bill's quote on the brilliant timeisonourside.com website, but it does not say
what year it's from:

Bill Wyman
I played a small-bodied Framus on that one. Not the red Framus bass that I used a lot onstage around that time but the one with the brown and yellow stripes across it that looked like a humbug. It was semi-acoustic. Andrew (Oldham) or Keith said something like, Why don't you do something at the end there, some kind of a lick that will fill up the space between the vocals and the band? I came up with that Bo Diddley thing really, I just bounced the string with the top of my finger on the pickup, and ran my finger down the string. That is what created that so-called "dive-bombing" sound. Can't do it on guitars I own now.

So it was Bill.

Apparently it was smiling smiley

However, it's strange that he didn't mention that this was a Brian trick. Now it sounds like something Bill invented..

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 7, 2016 11:46

DandelionPowderman
Wry Cooter
marcovandereijk
what year it's from:

Bill Wyman

So it was Bill.

However, it's strange that he didn't mention that this was a Brian trick. Now it sounds like something Bill invented..

Didn't a lot of musicians already do this before Brian or Bill? I am thinking, for instance, the intro to Roadrunner?

Date: September 7, 2016 12:01

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Wry Cooter
marcovandereijk
what year it's from:

Bill Wyman

So it was Bill.

Didn't a lot of musicians already do this before Brian or Bill? I am thinking, for instance, the intro to Roadrunner?

Of course, but it was Brian who used to do this in the Stones smiling smiley

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 7, 2016 13:11

A true classic.
I suspect the reason why they rarely play it live is simply cause Mick & Keith realise they're unable to do it justice.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 7, 2016 16:58

GasLightStreet

That live version is more subdued. Yeah, granted, they're not ever going to play it like they did in the mid-1960s because they're not that band.

Yes, rip The Rolling Stones. sad smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:50

New early takes of 19th Nervous Breakdown and Mother's Little Helper have surfaced according to Elliot (online) and Zentgraf.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 19, 2017 16:55

Monsoon Ragoon
New early takes of 19th Nervous Breakdown and Mother's Little Helper have surfaced according to Elliot (online) and Zentgraf.

They were posted by ABKCO as "Copyright Preservation" a couple of months ago on YouTube. They've now been taken down.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 19, 2017 17:07

Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

They were posted by ABKCO as "Copyright Preservation" a couple of months ago on YouTube. They've now been taken down.

Unfortunately they are not on the new 5cd The Legend Of Emerald with "all" outtakes and alternates 1961-66.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 19, 2017 18:16

Monsoon Ragoon
Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

Unfortunately they are not on the new 5cd The Legend Of Emerald with "all" outtakes and alternates 1961-66.

This looks like the same old, same old rehashed yet again.
[page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 19, 2017 18:27

Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon
Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

This looks like the same old, same old rehashed yet again.
[page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

But it seems to be the most complete attempt until now, even incl. the unfinished My Girl take.

Re: Track Talk: 19th Nervous Breakdown
Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:49

This song is not really my kind of stuff!
Not bad, not good!
I was always a little bit bored.
A song, for having a break, to go to the kitchen and bring some more beer!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 00:02

Yes for me a classic in every sense of the word. When I was growing up a song talking straight like this meant everything. They secured my fanship fast and forever with just a few like these. No body else was touching this stuff. Not in pop and rock and roll anyway....maybe old blues guys or something...but no one was dealing w real stuff like this on pop radio and etc...
Great lyrics, fantastic bridge; this was a cut above in every way.
These Hollywood sessions were fantastic. The lyrics showed intelligence and courage and straightforward connection with that edge. This and Have You Seen Your Mother and I knew it forever even as a young teen. This was something else; this was beyond pop music pleasantries; this cut thru the nerves down to the bone and it rocked like hell while doing so. I can't even give this one a numerical score or anything. It's one of the foundational struts of their inherent legitimacy for me. It set them way apart from everybody else. This Rolling Stones thing was very serious after this one. It was a graduation into something else. Beautifully performed too, down to those excellent harmonies...I think it was just the five of them too; no guests on other instruments that I'm aware of...correct me if wrong please....

they did this on Ed Sullivan pretty much exactly two years after The Beatles did their first American performance there. This was something so entirely different. They did Satisfaction that night too. A single for goodness sake. I don't even think it had an album attached to it....very very powerful. It was either Number 1 or Number 2 here. It was a huge hit. It was daring and different AND a huge hit. And deserved to be. It's delicious in every way...and appropriately cutting. This is the kind of stuff that really made me a very serious fan for life.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 20, 2017 22:38

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 20, 2017 23:11

They performed it Opening Night, BB Soldier Field, 9/23/97, I Was There, 14 Row!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 21, 2017 05:29

frtg55
This song is not really my kind of stuff!
Not bad, not good!
I was always a little bit bored.
A song, for having a break, to go to the kitchen and bring some more beer!

Hmmm...too much beer can affect your judgement sensibilities.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 21, 2017 06:08

A new appreciation for it because the RS songs most talked about are Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, etc. and it gets pushed to the background.

Just like in a song game we play, we've mentioned Have you seen your mother baby (standing in the shadow); it's really a great work but under recognized.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:56

On our ACID first trip I tried so hard to rearrange your mind

Date: March 21, 2017 10:39

Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

A closer listen lead me to believe that some of these «early versions» are the takes they used to mime/sing over for Ed Sullivan and other shows. At least 19th Nervous Breakdown is, surely?

Date: March 21, 2017 10:44

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

A closer listen lead me to believe that some of these «early versions» are the takes they used to mime/sing over for Ed Sullivan and other shows. At least 19th Nervous Breakdown is, surely?

Where to get them now? And why did they release it online? Why doesn't ABKCO release a box set? It would sell 100.000s. I'm sure the 60s outtakes we know is only 20-40% of what's existing, not counting the studio rehearsals.

Date: March 21, 2017 10:50

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
Monsoon Ragoon

Where to get them now? And why did they release it online? Why doesn't ABKCO release a box set? It would sell 100.000s. I'm sure the 60s outtakes we know is only 20-40% of what's existing, not counting the studio rehearsals.

Drop me an email.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 21, 2017 13:13

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Wry Cooter
marcovandereijk
what year it's from:

Bill Wyman

So it was Bill.

Of course, but it was Brian who used to do this in the Stones smiling smiley

thumbs up

Date: March 21, 2017 14:06

The new version of 19th Nervous Breakdown has the same vocal track as the known outtake, but more/different overdubs (incl. an exotic guitar/instrument). Mother's Little Helper is the usual backing track with different vocals, Keith does the "introduction". Thanks DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 2, 2017 13:59

Listen to Bo's ( or the Duchess' ) guitar intro here please:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 2, 2017 14:53

Boring.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 2, 2017 16:00

This song took some time to grow on me but now I consider it one of my faves. Also like the "Got Live If You Want it Version", a precursor to punk.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 2, 2017 21:45

...one of my 5 favourites...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home