Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I shouted out...
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 15:13

Seems this verse is some times left of live versions of Sympanthy for the Devil.

thoughts?

Re: I shouted out...
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2016 15:25

At different times, places, the line was probably considered to be offensive to the audience...similar reason as to why you never hear the black girls line from Some Girls.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:12

It hasn't been included in the live versions for a long time and neither has the Troubadours ill-fated trip to Bombay

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:34

question.. why? those lyrics arent offensive, imo..

the song has other more offensive lyrics, if one wants to hear it that way.

for example the reference to the Nazi death camps..

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:40

Captain Teague
It hasn't been included in the live versions for a long time and neither has the Troubadours ill-fated trip to Bombay

You sure? I could swear I heard "who get killed before they reach Bobbay" on the last EU tour ...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:34

Because it's gotten to be so goddamned long of a song! Mick probably can't remember where he's at so...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:43

I think it's cut out to make live version shorter not because it's too offensive. They also cut some lyrics in Memory Motel. I don't think Mick ever sung all verses live.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 2, 2016 18:02

I have read several times that it was the Kennedy family who requested it be removed.Reportedly John John had requested it for a concert they were going to attend in Boston, and they have left it out since..
Unsubstantiated rumor though, but it seems plausible.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 2, 2016 18:36

franzk
I think it's cut out to make live version shorter not because it's too offensive. They also cut some lyrics in Memory Motel. I don't think Mick ever sung all verses live.

and yet they still manage to make satisfaction 8 minutes long lol

Date: August 2, 2016 19:51

The verse was sung in 1969. Since then it's not been sung from everything I can find back to 1975.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:02

GasLightStreet
The verse was sung in 1969. Since then it's not been sung from everything I can find back to 1975.

He sung it in '94 (Oakland)...

video: [youtu.be]

and Rio '95...

[youtu.be]

...and the Miami '94 pay-per-view as well, so I assume all of the Voodoo Lounge Tour.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:06

Unbelievable that anybody could attend a Stones concert and be offended by this or any of their songs. If they bother you, then don't go. It's not like it's a surprise the Stones are provocative.
And for all the clueless, non-Stones fans out there, Mick Jagger does not think he's the devil. He was an actor playing the part in a song. He rarely writes autobiographical songs.

Date: August 2, 2016 20:12

Jah Paul
GasLightStreet

and Rio '95...

[youtu.be]

...and the Miami '94 pay-per-view as well, so I assume all of the Voodoo Lounge Tour.

OK. I haven't checked on any of the VOODOO boots I have because it's not on them! But I'll take your word for it.

Did he sing it in 1970?

It's funny that they released STICKY FINGERS and didn't tour it at all and started recording in France not too long after it came out. Mick said they didn't do SFTD live for ages but in reality, sure, it was a few years on the calendar, but it was only 3 tours they didn't play it between 1970 and 1975.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:41

wonderboy
Unbelievable that anybody could attend a Stones concert and be offended by this or any of their songs. If they bother you, then don't go. It's not like it's a surprise the Stones are provocative.
And for all the clueless, non-Stones fans out there, Mick Jagger does not think he's the devil. He was an actor playing the part in a song. He rarely writes autobiographical songs.

Yes it is amazing how long the "devil worship" meme persisted. It's almost as if no-one thinks of actually listening to the lyrics:

"when after all, it was you and me"
"fought for ten decades, for the gods they made".

Clue: it's real live people that do the bad things (and good things for that matter).

[see also: Street Fighting Man - it's about not fighting...and so on]

Date: August 2, 2016 20:54

GasLightStreet
Jah Paul
GasLightStreet

and Rio '95...

[youtu.be]

OK. I haven't checked on any of the VOODOO boots I have because it's not on them! But I'll take your word for it.

Did he sing it in 1970?

It's funny that they released STICKY FINGERS and didn't tour it at all and started recording in France not too long after it came out. Mick said they didn't do SFTD live for ages but in reality, sure, it was a few years on the calendar, but it was only 3 tours they didn't play it between 1970 and 1975.

I just casually checked a couple of those videos, plus listened to the Miami pay-per-view...he also sang it on the Pasadena boot for the show I attended that tour.

I had checked '89 first and noticed he didn't sing it then, so I thought for a moment maybe the line was never sung in the "modern era" (89-present). Was surprised to hear it in '94/95.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 2, 2016 23:57

Mick probably got weary of one too many grammarnazis incorrectly (or correctly) coming up to him at the concert after party and telling him that the proper grammar is "You and I" and not "You and me"... and eventually he probably thought fk this, I am here to meet groupies not discuss grammar, so from now on, no one gets to hear those original lyric sung live...

...and nobody has tried correcting him since.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 3, 2016 00:15

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-03 00:24 by Deltics.

Date: August 3, 2016 00:24

Deltics
jambay
Mick probably got weary of one too many grammarnazis incorrectly (or correctly) coming up to him at the concert after party and telling him that the proper grammar is "You and I" and not "You and me"... and eventually he probably thought fk this, I am here to meet groupies not discuss grammar, so from now on, no one gets to hear those original lyric sung live...

You and me is correct.
Take out the "you and" from the line and you're left with "Who killed the Kennedys when after all, it was me".
"It was I" is so wrong.
Your friendly grammar nazi.
You're welcome.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

incorrectly (or correctly)... people were still interfering with Mick finding groupies... so... you know...

Date: August 3, 2016 00:25

grinning smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 3, 2016 00:27

while we're at it..

SFTD on Ya Ya's is one great reworking of a studio version..

( same for Rambler, Live With Me, and Stray Cat Blues for that matter..)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 3, 2016 01:00

jambay
Deltics
jambay

You and me is correct.
Take out the "you and" from the line and you're left with "Who killed the Kennedys when after all, it was me".
"It was I" is so wrong.
You're welcome.

incorrectly (or correctly)... people were still interfering with Mick finding groupies... so... you know...

Darn, I thought I'd deleted it before it was seen. That'll teach me to read things properly first!
eye rolling smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: August 3, 2016 01:29

This line had been sung on EVERY version of Sympathy until 2002. The last Sympathy where this lines were included was the last of 1999 [www.iorr.org]. It's been left out since the Licks tour.

Date: August 3, 2016 01:45

Stonesfan2146
This line had been sung on EVERY version of Sympathy until 2002. The last Sympathy where this lines were included was the last of 1999 [www.iorr.org]. It's been left out since the Licks tour.

Not on EVERY version...not Atlantic City '89, or other '89-90 shows...unless my ears are somehow missing it.

(Atlantic City '89)

Date: August 3, 2016 03:16

Deltics
jambay
Deltics
jambay

You and me is correct.
"It was I" is so wrong.
You're welcome.

Darn, I thought I'd deleted it before it was seen. That'll teach me to read things properly first!
eye rolling smiley
grinning smileysmileys with beer

I guess the key is to remember not to get between Mick and his groupies... or we all suffer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-03 03:22 by jambay.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 3, 2016 15:40

wonderboy

You might think a little bit differently if it was your dad and uncle.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: August 3, 2016 15:45

Jah Paul
Stonesfan2146

Not on EVERY version...not Atlantic City '89, or other '89-90 shows...unless my ears are somehow missing it.

(Atlantic City '89)

Oh yeah, thanks for noticing that. On the Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle tours the verse was replaced with an extremly long and great solo of Keith smiling smiley

Date: August 3, 2016 19:01

Stonesfan2146
Jah Paul
Stonesfan2146

(Atlantic City '89)

Oh yeah, thanks for noticing that. On the Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle tours the verse was replaced with an extremly long and great solo of Keith smiling smiley

I forgot to mention the solo...very very cool! smileys with beer

Date: August 3, 2016 19:01

Stonesfan2146
Jah Paul
Stonesfan2146
This line had been sung on EVERY version of Sympathy until 2002.

Not on EVERY version...not Atlantic City '89, or other '89-90 shows.

(Atlantic City '89)

It hasn't been sung since 1969 for sure until 1994, as noted by Jah Paul (and as far as I can tell it was first played on the VOODOO tour October 15 in Las Vegas), and a few recent years as well. He sang it in 1997 in St Louis:

[www.youtube.com]

The VOODOO Miami PPV videos have been pulled from YouTube by Eagle Rock. I guess you know what that means. Think they'll leave Keith's incredible screw up during his solo in SFTD that was so funny?

Date: August 3, 2016 23:18

jambay
Deltics
jambay

You and me is correct.
"It was I" is so wrong.
You're welcome.

I read, or heard somewhere that Jagger had originally written about only JFK ( would the line have been "who killed John Kennedy"?), but before they were done with it, Robert had also been killed. And he had to change it. Has anyone else read that?

Date: August 3, 2016 23:20

Yes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home