Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Continental Drift' early version
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 1, 2016 18:44

I'm gonna drop this here for those who haven't had the pleasure of hearing this by itself.

From the Bootleg 'Training Wheels'

[youtu.be]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: 'Continental Drift' early version
Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 1, 2016 18:55

Marhsall
I'm gonna drop this here for those who haven't had the pleasure of hearing this by itself.

[youtu.be]

Very cool... I love this track... it floods memories of such great times
and it is cool the early versions exist... and they allow them to run around in the wild to be heard

Its only rock and roll but I love it

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 1, 2016 19:12

Marhsall

[youtu.be]

Yeah, heard it on training wheels. Great version. better than the official one, imo.
Jeroen

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2016 21:49

i just don't know what the hell happens with these latter day stones albums.

you listen to the bootlegs and they are jamming their asses off ,it's the old stones.it could be from any year,them playing in rehearsals from the steel wheels and voodoo lounge era is as good as any other time,they are kicking it-then we get the album.

somewhere in there the "rolling stones sound" is completly being lost.i would have thought they were washed up if i didn't go see them live.listen to "hold on to your hat" it sounds dirty,gritty clasic stones.then you listen to steel wheels and it on just doesn't have it.
you can't blame 80's production because it happened through the 90's and on bigger bang too,you can't blame don was because he works for the stones not the other way around.

training wheels is a great bootleg but listening to it just frustrates me.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 1, 2016 22:01

well, i think it Is to blame on the producer, the sound on Steel Wheels for instance is so bland, while on Training Wheels, as Motlow is writing , The band is sounding great.

Thank god for bootlegs as Training Wheels.

Jeroen

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 1, 2016 22:50

This is the version from "Monitor Mixes"

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2016 00:22

Hey guys, thanks for those alternate mixes...always loved that wild, mystical song.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 2, 2016 05:25

No mix gets thru Mick Jagger folks. Regardless of "producer".

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 2, 2016 08:49

lem motlow

you listen to the bootlegs and they are jamming their asses off ,it's the old stones.it could be from any year,them playing in rehearsals from the steel wheels and voodoo lounge era is as good as any other time,they are kicking it-then we get the album.

somewhere in there the "rolling stones sound" is completly being lost.i would have thought they were washed up if i didn't go see them live.listen to "hold on to your hat" it sounds dirty,gritty clasic stones.then you listen to steel wheels and it on just doesn't have it.
you can't blame 80's production because it happened through the 90's and on bigger bang too,you can't blame don was because he works for the stones not the other way around.

+1 i subscribe each and every word
baffling
but yes... mick...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-02 08:54 by maumau.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 2, 2016 14:05

'Continental Drift' early version' , This version has Mick jagger experimenting with a drum machine and a Korg synthesizer, Matt Clifford was involved and you can hear Keith scratching a bicycle wheel. I find it interesting that The Stones went to Morocco to record the Master Musicians of Jajouka for the Steel Wheels album, an instrumental version was used throughout The Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle Tour before the band entered the stage and that was pretty Cool. In 2003 I attended the Crossing Border Festival in the Hague to see the Master Musicians of Jajouka with Lee Renaldo "Sonic Youth".smiling smiley

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 15:49

Can anyone post a we transfer link to the training wheels set? Saw different versions and remixes of the same set out there, not sure which is best?

Date: August 2, 2016 16:46

Love all the pics in the video too

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:57

Continental Drift was excellent as an intro in 1989/90, maybe the best intro they ever had - but as a song it is absolutely horrible. I dont know how this could end on a Rolling Stones record, its completely weird and the Stones do hardly participate in that... whatever. It´s an intro, just an intro, no song at all. Weakest spot on Steel Wheels. Even Thief In The Night shines compared to that... whatever it is.

Date: August 2, 2016 17:11

A lovely tune. It was nice that the Stones tried to experiment again, something they have so many times earlier on with great results, imo. This embryonic version is a nice document of the song's creation.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2016 18:49

Nice sounding indeed, but a bit too far out to be considered a great Stones song - it just rambles on and on.
It's like an experimental ambient soundscape run amok as heard at an ectsacy induced rave - perhaps in that sense it was ahead of it's time .
Might have worked better edited to 30 seconds and inserted in a middle section of a genuine tune.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 2, 2016 22:16

HMS
Continental Drift was excellent as an intro in 1989/90, maybe the best intro they ever had - but as a song it is absolutely horrible. I dont know how this could end on a Rolling Stones record, its completely weird and the Stones do hardly participate in that... whatever. It´s an intro, just an intro, no song at all. Weakest spot on Steel Wheels. Even Thief In The Night shines compared to that... whatever it is.

My boy Gazza absolutely loves it, Perks digs it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 3, 2016 02:52

lem motlow

I wanna add some kind of 'Facebook'-styled "LIKE"-thumb here...
BV, how do I do that?

Date: August 3, 2016 11:03

RoughJusticeOnYa

BV, how do I do that?

thumbs up
(It's one of the emoticons you can add to your posts)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-03 11:04 by Deltics.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 3, 2016 14:15

I have both SW outtakes "deliveries' on silver fs on ebay. See Hot Stuff forum.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 3, 2016 14:56

Interesting to listen to, thanks for sharing. What fascinates me is if they already knew at this time that they wanted to add the Joujouka instruments to it or were they still just mucking around?

Date: August 3, 2016 15:02

Training Wheels:
[we.tl]

Monitor Mixes:
[we.tl]

Links good until August 10

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: August 3, 2016 15:54

Deltics
Training Wheels:
[we.tl]

Monitor Mixes:
[we.tl]

Links good until August 10

MUCH THANKS!!!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 3, 2016 16:19

Deltics
RoughJusticeOnYa

BV, how do I do that?

thumbs up
(It's one of the emoticons you can add to your posts)

Date: August 3, 2016 17:51

Koen
Interesting to listen to, thanks for sharing. What fascinates me is if they already knew at this time that they wanted to add the Joujouka instruments to it or were they still just mucking around?

At one stage Mick felt that the Burundi drummers should be approached to ad percussion cause of the North African or Eastern feel in the song, but a sequence of events where history was about to repeat itself dedicated otherwise. Brian Jones had recorded the G'naoua and the Maalimin of Jajouka in 1968. Bachir Attar, the son of the then chief, had written to the Stones inviting them over to Morocco to record.

Date: August 3, 2016 17:57

The Stones in Morocco. BBC documentary.

Part 1
[www.youtube.com]
Part 2
[www.youtube.com]
Part 3
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 3, 2016 18:07

runaway
Koen

At one stage Mick felt that the Burundi drummers should be approached to ad percussion cause of the North African or Eastern feel in the song, but a sequence of events where history was about to repeat itself dedicated otherwise. Brian Jones had recorded the G'naoua and the Maalimin of Jajouka in 1968. Bachir Attar, the son of the then chief, had written to the Stones inviting them over to Morocco to record.

the Burundi drummers?

Date: August 3, 2016 18:08

Deltics
The Stones in Morocco. BBC documentary.

Part 1
[www.youtube.com]
Part 2
[www.youtube.com]
Part 3
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home