Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Snap, Crackle, Beat! - Rice Krispies - Rolling Stones '64
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 29, 2016 22:06

Not sure if this has been posted here before?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Snap, Crackle, Beat! - Rice Krispies - Rolling Stones '64
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 29, 2016 22:16

spikenyc
Not sure if this has been posted here before?

[www.youtube.com]

A million and one times.
For some reason the internet has just discovered this, it's been reported as a new finding by several websites over the last couple of days.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
[www.esquire.com]
[www.salon.com]
Most of us here have known about it for years, nay, decades.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-29 22:40 by Deltics.

Date: July 29, 2016 22:30

The contract with J. Walter Thompson Company from February 6, 1964, signed by Brian Jones.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 29, 2016 22:35

Brian Jones, Esq...!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 2, 2016 07:55

Hello Deltics;

Where did you get/find this contract/agreement?This contract is a great find. I am wondering if this is real? A couple reasons...1. Brian Jones signature looks odd (Just my opinion). 2. The Rice Krispies song was recorded in 1963*? 3.The Rice Krispies commercial airing premiered on BBC TV on January 1st 1964 (Probably version #1... The animated version) Version #2... was the Juke Box Jury version which probably got was aired later???..This contract is dated Feb. 6 1964..
If real. Wondering why Oldham didn't have his name on it .He was conducting most of the bands deal himself by then....From this it looks like the band leader was still Brian.(yes,.. I know age in signing contracts in the U.K. could also be the reason Brian signed it)
James

* Interview I did with Glyn Johns in the 90's

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 08:24

VideoJames
Hello Deltics;

Where did you get/find this contract/agreement?This contract is a great find. I am wondering if this is real? A couple reasons...1. Brian Jones signature looks odd (Just my opinion). 2. The Rice Krispies song was recorded in 1963*? 3.The Rice Krispies commercial airing premiered on BBC TV on January 1st 1964 (Probably version #1... The animated version) Version #2... was the Juke Box Jury version which probably got was aired later???..This contract is dated Feb. 6 1964..
If real. Wondering why Oldham didn't have his name on it .He was conducting most of the bands deal himself by then....From this it looks like the band leader was still Brian.(yes,.. I know age in signing contracts in the U.K. could also be the reason Brian signed it)
James

Hi James, in looking at Nzentraf's website, it says that the song was recorded on Feb 6 1964 at Pye Studios with Jonathan Rollands producing and Glyn Johns engineering.

Date: August 2, 2016 11:02

DGA35
VideoJames
Hello Deltics;

James

Hi James, in looking at Nzentraf's website, it says that the song was recorded on Feb 6 1964 at Pye Studios with Jonathan Rollands producing and Glyn Johns engineering.

I found the contract here: [wksu.org] (scroll to the bottom).
Note that it's also signed by Eric Easton.
Also, the advert would have been shown on ITV not BBC, the Beeb doesn't have any advertising.

I don't know if this is legit or not:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-02 11:10 by Deltics.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 2, 2016 12:13

Thanks Deltics;

Thanks for the correction..I meant ITV ....but out of habit and being from the U.S.A. I just say BBC TV.A habit I should stop doing.considering how many different TV shows I have from the U.K. "RSG,Thank Your Lucky Stars,Top of he Pops, Granada TV Specials" etc.. etc.
I knew about Jonathan Rollands as producer and Glyn as engineer, but in my interview with Glyn about the Rice Krispies commercial, I recalled that he corrected me and said he worked at IBC at the time. I think/believe (I would have to go back and listen to the tape to be 100% sure) he said they may have pressed acetates at Star Sound later on??
Getting the facts straight on what happened from 1962-1963 with the Rolling Stones is a real tough job.. I am so glad I spoke and interviewed people involved with the Stones and the band from 1973 till 1997.
That acetate could be real but with so many bootleg acetates coming out over the past 15 years it gets tough telling the real ones from the fakes. If that is yours I hope it is real.
Thanks for reply and info
James

Date: August 2, 2016 13:07

VideoJames
Thanks Deltics;

Thanks for the correction..I meant ITV ....but out of habit and being from the U.S.A. I just say BBC TV.A habit I should stop doing.considering how many different TV shows I have from the U.K. "RSG,Thank Your Lucky Stars,Top of he Pops, Granada TV Specials" etc.. etc.
I knew about Jonathan Rollands as producer and Glyn as engineer, but in my interview with Glyn about the Rice Krispies commercial, I recalled that he corrected me and said he worked at IBC at the time. I think/believe (I would have to go back and listen to the tape to be 100% sure) he said they may have pressed acetates at Star Sound later on??
Getting the facts straight on what happened from 1962-1963 with the Rolling Stones is a real tough job.. I am so glad I spoke and interviewed people involved with the Stones and the band from 1973 till 1997.
That acetate could be real but with so many bootleg acetates coming out over the past 15 years it gets tough telling the real ones from the fakes. If that is yours I hope it is real.
Thanks for reply and info
James

The acetate isn't mine, the image was posted by a Facebook acquaintance.
It looks a little too 'clean' to me to be genuine but who knows?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:40

Why did Rice Krispies stop uses that song? You would think the bigger the Stones got the more effective the song would be.

Date: August 2, 2016 18:42

stanlove
Why did Rice Krispies stop uses that song? You would think the bigger the Stones got the more effective the song would be.

The contract stipulates that it could only be used up to twenty times nationally.
This was in the days when ITV was made up several different regional television companies.

The ITV regions after the minor change in contracts in 1964.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-02 19:01 by Deltics.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:50

stanlove

I hate to say it, but it's not a very good song...maybe that's the reason

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:51

Deltics
stanlove

The contract stipulates that it could only be used up to twenty times nationally.
This was in the days when ITV was made up several different regional television companies.

The ITV regions after the minor change in contracts in 1964.

Wow! That's what I call thorough...

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 3, 2016 19:55

It's weird that this just seems to be coming out in the press now. I have played this on my radio show a few times, the last time probably a year ago.

It's actually pretty cool.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2016 20:22

I remember Keith talking about Start Me Up with Microsoft about how people were making such a big deal and he of course laughed and said something along the lines of "Oh this isn't our first one, mate" and talked about the Rice Krispies jingle.

I looked for it but can't find anything. But there is this little bit here, scroll to the bottom of page 344 and it continues on the next page:

[books.google.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 4, 2016 10:31

stanlove

I was growing up in England when this ad was being aired, and it was never identified at the time as being by the Stones.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 4, 2016 11:13

Aquamarine
it was never identified at the time as being by the Stones.

I believe that smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 4, 2016 19:46

There was a Mad Men episode where the agency was trying to get a pop group to do an ad and they mentioned this jingle. The execs even went to so far as to go to see the Stones at Forest Hills in 1966 (the show got the date right, gotta give em props for that). However, even being in the industry at the time, would this jingle have been known to people in the US?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 5, 2016 01:29

Did the composer (Brian) receive any royalties or is it even registered ?

Date: August 5, 2016 01:48

jlowe
Did the composer (Brian) receive any royalties or is it even registered ?
The contract says that "It is understood that J. Walter Thompson and/or the Kellogg Company of Great Britain have full and exclusive rights in this recording and composition".
The Stones got a flat fee of £400.
The "lyrics" were provided by J. Walter Thompson agency, the music could have been "written" by any number of popular beat combos of the day!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 5, 2016 03:02

The music sounds similar to their version of Route 66.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home