Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Bowie Prom - Fri 29 July BBC 4
Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: July 29, 2016 15:09

Haven't seen this posted yet so:
Tonight BBC4 (and thereafter on iPlayer no doubt): Bowie Prom BBC4

"A celebration and reinterpretation of the music of the late David Bowie with the Berlin-based musicians' collective Stargaze and its artistic director André de Ridder. They are joined by guest singers and collaborators including Marc Almond, Laura Mvula, John Cale, Paul Buchanan, Conor O'Brien, Amanda Palmer and countertenor Phillippe Jaroussky, and with arrangements from Jherek Bischoff, David Lang, Anna Meredith, Greg Saunier, Josephine Stephenson and Michael Van der Aa. This rare collaboration promises to deliver a unique re-imagining of the Bowie catalogue with fresh interpretations of his classic works."

John Cale was on BBC this morning talking about this

Re: OT: David Bowie Prom - Fri 29 July BBC 4
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 29, 2016 15:38

Thanks for this, gonna check it out.

Date: July 29, 2016 15:43

Bastion
Thanks for this, gonna check it out.

Couple more good BBC links here:

Crossover Composer?

Paul Morley - Bowie Mixtape

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 29, 2016 18:29

Thanks very much!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 31, 2016 03:34

[pitchfork.com]

David Bowie’s Blackstar Band Announces New Album, Shares “A Small Plot of Land” Cover

Beyond Now is dedicated to and inspired by Bowie

Saxophonist Donny McCaslin and his band were prominently featured on David Bowie’s final album, Blackstar. Now, they’re releasing a new album called Beyond Now, which is both dedicated to and inspired by Bowie. It’s out October 14 via Motéma Music. The album’s personnel is comprised of three Blackstar instrumentalists—bassist Tim Lefebvre, drummer Mark Guiliana, and Jason Lindner—along with guitarist Nate Wood and producer David Binney. The album includes original compositions of McCaslin’s along with covers of Deadmau5, MUTEMATH, the Chainsmokers, and Bowie. One such Bowie cover, “A Small Plot of Land,” from his 1995 LP Outside, has been released as the first single. Listen to it below via Entertainment Weekly. “David Bowie was a visionary artist whose generosity, creative spirit, and fearlessness will stay with me the rest of my days,” McCaslin said in a press release. “Beyond Now is dedicated to him and to all who loved him."

DONNY MCCASLIN - BEYOND NOW : [motema.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-31 03:38 by kowalski.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 1, 2016 03:07

Iggy Pop did SOME dj'ing...very sweet and touching....often adding some personal story or information before or after the tune..worth the listen if you are a Bowie fan or an Iggy fan...[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-01 04:28 by Rip This.

Date: August 3, 2016 03:15

Thanks for the link! Except for the lullabyzed version of Starman by Marc Almond I've found it awful for the most part though smiling smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 3, 2016 15:23

I thought it was terrible and was so looking forward to the program as well.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 3, 2016 23:56

odean73
I thought it was terrible and was so looking forward to the program as well.

I watched the last 10 mins and thought exactly the same, sorry I know they were trying to do something different and not just play his songs but.......well I just didn't get it and I'm sure Bowie would have cringed in his grave.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 4, 2016 03:01

listen to Iggy's show...that's really good.

Date: August 4, 2016 07:00

Definitely more interesting :

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 4, 2016 07:05

kowalski
Definitely more interesting :

video: [www.youtube.com]

I watched that one some days ago and on the related videos there was this Jumpin' Jack Flash version:

Date: August 4, 2016 08:04

Another kind of tribute to Bowie :

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 4, 2016 11:00

I enjoyed it. Apart from that rapper anyway. Haven't seen it since it went out last Friday but from memory I thought The Man Who Sold The World and Blackstar were very good. I love Marc Almond but his singing was flat but I enjoyed his contributions anyway cos it's him and he loves Bowie. I didn't think much of John Cale, who I was looking forward to, but the After All ending was nice.

Date: August 4, 2016 16:26

rebelrebel
I enjoyed it. Apart from that rapper anyway. Haven't seen it since it went out last Friday but from memory I thought The Man Who Sold The World and Blackstar were very good. I love Marc Almond but his singing was flat but I enjoyed his contributions anyway cos it's him and he loves Bowie. I didn't think much of John Cale, who I was looking forward to, but the After All ending was nice.

Yes, mostly agree with you, although I loved JC, especially the "Waiting for the Man" inspired version of Sorrow. Kind of a tribute to a tribute of a tribute if you see what I mean. Lady Grinning Soul (Anna Calvi) was very good too, wonderful song.

By the way everyone needs to vote for Blackstar in the Mercury Prize...

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 5, 2016 10:30

JumpinJimF
rebelrebel

Yes, mostly agree with you, although I loved JC, especially the "Waiting for the Man" inspired version of Sorrow. Kind of a tribute to a tribute of a tribute if you see what I mean. Lady Grinning Soul (Anna Calvi) was very good too, wonderful song.

By the way everyone needs to vote for Blackstar in the Mercury Prize...

Agreed! How did I forget Lady Grinning Soul? That was an excellent interpretation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home