Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT. Izzy Stradlin new song!!
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 19, 2018 20:46

gotdablouse
Palace Revolution 2000
Yes Izzy has released a ton of albums. They're just not that easy to find.

And they have absolutely nothing memorable going for them. Actually I don't think Izzy's written a song that I (or anyone ?) can remember since he left GnR in 1991 ! Amazing when you think that he was behind most of the riffs of Appetite and much of the material on UIY. Guess it shows that having great ideas is not enough to write good songs.

Well, for one, Izzy gives ZERO to the Music Industry. He direct-releases to iTunes etc. and cuts out all the marketers and everything else associated w/ "the industry." He doesn't release singles.

So, that leads to the simple fact that he gets almost no press. Which explains some of why this has "nothing memorable"....most people never hear it. I am certain that several of his songs could've become "hits" had they been promoted.

His only official single was "Shuffle it All" in like 1992 or so. It's a good song. As is "Train Tracks" (from the same album).

Give "Fire: the Acoustic Album" a listen. Some quality tracks on there. Not all of them, but some winners - "box" & "infrastruck" are my favs. Several of them I keep saying to myself "Man, if he had Axl singing and Slash on lead...."

you can hear the "heart" of Guns in many of his songs.

"Old Hat" is another one that comes to mind....so does "Chop Away"

Date: December 19, 2018 20:48

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
He has a new song out coming out sometime next month as well with former GNR drummer Matt Sorum. You can't make this GNR land stuff up. Axl, Slash and Duff finally get back together to play their first shows together in 23 years, Izzy, Steven and Matt Sorum are NOT included, BUT Izzy puts out his first songs in like 5 years, one of which has the help of one Mr. Matt Sorum. Unbelievable.

izzy has played with axl and duff and I believe slash over the last 15 years. he simply isn't a big tour guy and that's part of the reason he left the band to begin with. as far as I know he has an open invite to walk up on stage and play with GNR whenever he wants to and that's been the case at least the last 10 years.

Up until this tour. He publicly tweeted (had to start a friggen Twitter to set the record straight) that he had nothing to do with this tour and was not asking to participate. Yes, he has played with all 3 of them in the last 10 years. Seemingly having an open invite, but he was specifically kept out of this thing. He has said as much. Not trying to start anything, but just clearing that up.

Yup. He said Axl, Slash & Duff didn't want to split the money equally w/ him (which, if true, is sooooooo lame).

[loudwire.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 20, 2018 08:53

Wonder what would’ve happened had Mick used Izzy instead of Dave Stewart as his collaborator.hearing him do some of the vocals on that first Ju Ju hounds album would’ve been interesting.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 20, 2018 12:15

lem motlow
Wonder what would’ve happened had Mick used Izzy instead of Dave Stewart as his collaborator.

Mick likes innovators, people who look forward not backward. With all respect due Izzy's a conservative rocker. He likes the Stones (golden era) the Dolls and other classic artists.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2018 12:25

Yep ….. ^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: December 20, 2018 16:03

gotdablouse
Palace Revolution 2000
Yes Izzy has released a ton of albums. They're just not that easy to find.

And they have absolutely nothing memorable going for them. Actually I don't think Izzy's written a song that I (or anyone ?) can remember since he left GnR in 1991 ! Amazing when you think that he was behind most of the riffs of Appetite and much of the material on UIY. Guess it shows that having great ideas is not enough to write good songs.

I have to agree with you, Blouse. I like Izzy, and what he stands for. But there is a lot to be said for editing yourself, and dynamics. Two very different matters, but that is what IMO is weak about his material - too much of one, and too little of the other. Since he barely makes any money off a release, maybe he needs quantity vs. quality to make anything.

Date: December 20, 2018 16:51

That's because Izzy's lazy. In a 1991/1992 RS interview Axl Rose remarked that once he had recorded a demo on his 4-tracks the song was done for him.

Said diffrently if there's not somebody around him to arrange and put some flesh on his (great) song ideas they remain great song ideas.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: December 20, 2018 17:40

80% of his songs are basically the same song. A basic rocker with the same cord structure and guitar solo about hitting the road and how hot the weather is. Im not exagerating, I was a fan, but this really frustrated me...I expect more from a rock legend like him

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 20, 2018 17:57

[www.youtube.com]

Izzy Stradlin - Sweet Caress from 2002 On Down The Road

This is a great song and great mood and arrangement.

Date: December 20, 2018 20:03

dcba
That's because Izzy's lazy. In a 1991/1992 RS interview Axl Rose remarked that once he had recorded a demo on his 4-tracks the song was done for him.

Said diffrently if there's not somebody around him to arrange and put some flesh on his (great) song ideas they remain great song ideas.

This is a really good point, but I don't think "lazy" is the right word. I think he loves to write the core of songs (or songs themselves). I think he is simply disinterested in some elements of the process.

Axl's statement is kind of amusing. It took him 14 years to put out an album (which sucked).

Given those 2 extremes, you could see where this pairing would fall apart.

From what I remember hearing, Izzy got sick of all the re-working and editing and processing of the Use Your Illusion albums (which were heavily over-processed, IMO).

But, yeah...you're 100% correct about the "flesh" part. Writing great music is a lot more work than people think.

I think Izzy-Axl is a good demonstration of why bands are so hard to keep together. You have different visions, work ethics and interest levels to keep in check along w/ all the other baggage people bring to the group. Add lots of drugs and egos and....well....Guns n' Roses in a nutshell.

All of this goes to the point of why the Stones are so special.

Date: December 20, 2018 20:04

dedospegajosos
80% of his songs are basically the same song. A basic rocker with the same cord structure and guitar solo about hitting the road and how hot the weather is. Im not exagerating, I was a fan, but this really frustrated me...I expect more from a rock legend like him

agree.

not surprising that the best songs on "Fire: the Acoustic Album" are co-writes.

Izzy's cool either way, though.

Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: December 21, 2018 06:01

A great album for a half hour car ride - Ride On, especially like California, Needles, and Here Comes the Rain.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 21, 2018 10:48

stickyfingers101

From what I remember hearing, Izzy got sick of all the re-working and editing and processing of the Use Your Illusion albums (which were heavily over-processed, IMO).

Yeah Izzy said around 92 that the recording sessions for UYI took about 2 months. Then they waited for a whole year for "the guy" to come up with lyrics.

But if your read this thread Izzy basically deserted the G&R ship even before the YUI sessions started : he would send new song ideas by mail and never showed up again after he tracked his guitar parts.

[www.forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Date: December 21, 2018 15:09

dcba
stickyfingers101

Yeah Izzy said around 92 that the recording sessions for UYI took about 2 months. Then they waited for a whole year for "the guy" to come up with lyrics.

But if your read this thread Izzy basically deserted the G&R ship even before the YUI sessions started : he would send new song ideas by mail and never showed up again after he tracked his guitar parts.

they wait a year for axl to come up with lyrics ? makes about no sense if izzy said that for various reasons. a ton of these songs were written completed before 1990.
don't cry
November rain
back off b****h
civil war
bad obsession
the garden

these songs have no contributions at all in the writing from axl
you aint the first
double talkin jive
pretty tied up
so fine

then of course there are 2 cover tunes.

so 12 of the songs were ready before 1990. so axl took a year to write lyrics for another what? 10 songs . I don't buy that at all

Date: December 21, 2018 17:25

dcba
stickyfingers101

Yup. I think a lot of that had to do w/ the fact that Izzy sobered-up around 1990 and, well, hanging around junkies and drunks is generally a bad idea if you are trying to stay sober.

Plus, Axl showings at the studio were (apparently) "few and far-between" during a lot of the UYI sessions (Axl, apparently, also didn't like all the drinking/drugging....plus he's a lunatic and wanted to record the lyrics w/o the rest of the band around and f_ck around w/ the arrangements on his own terms....he recorded that hideous "My World" alone and the rest of the band didn't even know it was on the album (apparently) until it was released.

Supposedly, Izzy got the album, saw the track, put it on (b/c he had no idea what it was) and said "what the f_ck is this crap?"

I think Izzy just got sick of it all...which makes sense (esp. if you are trying to be sober).

Date: December 21, 2018 18:02

[www.youtube.com]

Izzy Stradlin - Spoonful

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 22, 2018 15:00

I’ll just drop this one here...

video: [youtu.be]

Date: December 22, 2018 15:01

Why you ask?

Date: December 22, 2018 15:02

And if you still don’t like Izzy then this is for you...

Date: December 22, 2018 19:12

[www.youtube.com]

Rare Izzy Stradlin Interview 1992

Date: September 9, 2019 15:06

Looking for some help/insider knowledge here:

Unreleased Guns N' Roses songs have been leaking out lately with the reason supposedly being that a storage locker owned by Tom Zutaut was recently sold.
Inside was a stash of music possibly including unreleased JuJu Hounds material.

Anyone ever heard or know anything about an Izzy/Ronnie collaboration titled 'Skeleton' recorded late 1992 or early 1993? Possibly written at Ronnie's house?!

Inquiring minds want to know...

Date: September 9, 2019 16:07

Kurt

Unreleased Guns N' Roses songs have been leaking out lately

Where?
Don't bother they're from the Chinese Demoncracy sessions... confused smiley

if you want an insider story about the making of the UYI albums check the thread about these records at stevehoffmann's site. There's a guy who was there who shared interesting stories... (like Izzy was so repelled by the decadent drugged ambiance in the studio that he sent his contributions/song ideas... by mail!). grinning smiley

That would lend credence to 1992 Izzy claims that he's credited on some UYI songs he doesn't even play on at all (DTJive comes to mind : there's no way he could have played the guitar solo on that one. Slash played all the guitar parts on that one, and he delivered a deliberately clumsy solo to emulate Izzy's style).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-09 19:16 by dcba.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 9, 2019 19:54

There's a list of unreleased songs here [en.wikipedia.org]

It mentions 2019 leaks of CD songs indeed, will have to try to get a hold of them.

On a related note I saw a great concert of Duff McKagan with the Shooter Jennings band at the Trabendo (of all places!). His songs are a bit plodding but his sining sounds better live oddly enough. Shooter Jennings and his band are great, country rock at its best, got some good blood going for him of course ;-) I taped it so if there's any interest I can upload it, just PM me.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-09 19:56 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 9, 2019 21:49

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Izzy Stradlin - Stuck In The Middle With You - by Stealers Wheel

Nice, pretty cool solo version! I like it.

Date: September 9, 2019 22:23

i want the rest of the chinese democracy stuff released

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home