Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones-songs written post 1982 that are truly worthy of praise
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 08:12

treaclefingers

I think the later material suffers mostly because it's compared to the early stuff.

Actually, the newer material benefits by being compared to the old stuff if only because I doubt many of us would bother listening to it otherwise.

Songs written post 1982 which are truly worthy of praise? I can come up with half a record.

1. Undercover
2. One Hit
3. The Worst
4. Rough Justice
5. Plundered My Soul

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2016 10:15

Plundered is exile-era but OK

Plundered
Thief in the night (worth of praise is a stretch)
She was hot

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:28

"Slipping away"
The band's epitaph

Date: May 31, 2016 11:28

Turner68
"Slipping away"
The band's epitaph

Before they asked the question «How Can I Stop»...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:32

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
"Slipping away"
The band's epitaph

Lol...

Classic call and response
"How can I stop?"
"Don't stop"

Date: May 31, 2016 11:35

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
"Slipping away"
The band's epitaph

Lol...

Classic call and response
"How can I stop?"
"Don't stop"

One More Shot...

What's next - One More Try? Oh, they did that one already... winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 31, 2016 12:24

Their 20 best songs from 1982-2012 are not worse than their 20 best songs from 1970-1981. It´s only just because we got older and harder to satisfy with every year. So much good stuff is totally neglected only because many people prefer 70s-Stones for nostalgic reasons. The Stones were great in each decade of their career.

Imo, its very presumptous to say that none of the songs post 1982 deserves to be praised... get the glue out of your ears... what a haughty behaviour to diss all Stones-efforts post 1981...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 31, 2016 12:38

HMS
Their 20 best songs from 1982-2012 are not worse than their 20 best songs from 1970-1981. It´s only just because we got older and harder to satisfy with every year. So much good stuff is totally neglected only because many people prefer 70s-Stones for nostalgic reasons. The Stones were great in each decade of their career.

Imo, its very presumptous to say that none of the songs post 1982 deserves to be praised... get the glue out of your ears... what a haughty behaviour to diss all Stones-efforts post 1981...

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 31, 2016 14:30

Sure, HMS. But in that case even Sir Michael is presumptuos. Just look at the setlists on the recent tours (club gigs not counted). The lions's share and more thereto is before 1981.

Date: May 31, 2016 14:35

Stoneage
Sure, HMS. But in that case even Sir Michael is presumptuos. Just look at the setlists on the recent tours (club gigs not counted). The lions's share and more thereto is before 1981.

Sir Michael wants as many as possible to attend their shows - hence Brown Sugar instead of Miss Amanda Jones smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 31, 2016 19:33

HMS

As one, who personally would have preferred concert setlists, outside encores, to consist almost exclusively, for instance, of material from their two latest albums, I want to say that not a few songs from later than, I have to say, 1983, may be better than they are conventionally rumoured to be, and ought to praised for that, but still largely cannot measure with songs from 1983 or earlier. I have usually claimed that a couple of later albums, and I think some songs as well, may be seen as verging on the semi-great, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 19:35 by Witness.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 31, 2016 19:54

HMS

Must be the evil curse of MT...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 20:19

Doom and Gloom, I was listening to it in my car this morning. You could call it Ragnarök rock.

Posted by: ParachuteMan ()
Date: June 1, 2016 01:26

The following post-1982 songs are among my all-time Stones favourites:

Love Is Strong
Like A Rolling Stone
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
Slipping Away
Highwire

Additionally, I definitely consider the songs on the following list „truly worthy of praise“:

One Hit (To The Body)
Harlem Shuffle
Dirty Work
Sleep Tonight
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Rock and a Hard Place
Can’t Be Seen
You Got Me Rocking
The Worst
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Already Over Me
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
How Can I Stop
Don’t Stop
It Won’t Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Oh No, Not You Again
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Doom and Gloom

Overall, I would say it is a better and longer list of great music than what the vast majority of the bands that recorded post-1982 can show.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 1, 2016 05:44

I Think I'm Going Mad
Jump On Top Of Me Baby
Brand New Car
Love is Strong
Rough Justice
Oh No Not You Again
Back of my Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Under the Radar
Flip the Switch
Out of Control....especially live
Anybody See My Baby...studio
Too Tight....fun killer filler
Saint of Me...live
I Go Wild
Mean Disposition
Terrifying
Sexdrive
Continental Drift
Almost Hear You Sigh
Can't Be Seen
Break the Spell...thought I was the only one who liked this one...lol!
One Hit to the Body
Undercover
She was Hot
Too Much Blood
Too Tough
All the Way Down

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 1, 2016 10:22

Each and everyone is. I mean a song like 'Winning Ugly' really shows how incredible good a song like 'Anybody seen my Baby' is...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 1, 2016 10:58

HMS
Their 20 best songs from 1982-2012 are not worse than their 20 best songs from 1970-1981.

Yeah, I’m not sure many on this forum would agree with you. I am sure, however, that since 2015, you’ve been this forum’s No. 1 nutcase...I don’t think I’d insist that lunatics are more prone to having bad taste in music than others but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were true.

Date: June 1, 2016 12:24

Swayed1967
HMS
Their 20 best songs from 1982-2012 are not worse than their 20 best songs from 1970-1981.

Yeah, I’m not sure many on this forum would agree with you. I am sure, however, that since 2015, you’ve been this forum’s No. 1 nutcase...I don’t think I’d insist that lunatics are more prone to having bad taste in music than others but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were true.

You obviously belong to that group of people whose ears are filled with glue. If you would only listen you wouldnt call me lunatic and nutcase. IMO,many of the songs mentioned in this thread prove that I´m right. There is greatness to be found in each decade.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2016 07:37

KRiffhard
HMS

thumbs up

i also thumbs up...but sadly hms is on record loving dirty work, so it really puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2016 21:14

There's so many...I like DP's list among others. Whoever said they were finished after Tattoo You has missed a lot of cool stuff:
Just a few of my faves -
She Was Hot
Tie You Up
All The Way Down
Hold back
Fight
Mixed Emotions
Slipping Away
Almost Hear You Sigh
Mean Disposition
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
Low Down
Flip The Switch
Already Over Me
Don't Stop
Thru and Thru
Thief In The Night
Rough Justice
Oh No Not You Again
Let Me Down Slow
The Biggest Mistake
The Worst
Doom And Gloom
so many more....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 21:26 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 3, 2016 00:04

Almost Hear You Sigh and Jump On Top of Me.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: June 3, 2016 01:34

None. There is not a single song post 1982 that I seek out to give a listen. A few Keith and Ronnie solo tunes, sure. The there is just way too much great music pre-1982 to enjoy without going down market.

Date: June 3, 2016 01:39

SuperC
None. There is not a single song post 1982 that I seek out to give a listen. A few Keith and Ronnie solo tunes, sure. The there is just way too much great music pre-1982 to enjoy without going down market.

You're missing a lot of great music my friend.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 3, 2016 01:51

Hairball
If I'm being totally honest, and in comparison to pre-'82...nothing is 'truly worthy of praise'.

X2

Date: June 3, 2016 02:01

DaveG
Hairball
If I'm being totally honest, and in comparison to pre-'82...nothing is 'truly worthy of praise'.

X2

Fer sure - nothing post-1982 is as magnificent as what they did on Beggar's Banquet thru Exile On Main Street, or even Tattoo You but that's only because those albums were miles ahead of EVERYTHING. Like the Stones in that era were so much better than so many other bands, but that doesn't mean the other bands weren't good. For instance, I like Heart. But the Stones are a 15 and Heart's an 8 or 9. It's just that on a scale of 1-10, the Stones were about a fifteen in that era. So another band's music - or Stones post-82 music might not be a fifteen but it's still damn good music and fun to enjoy; be my opinion ever so humble...winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 02:04 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: June 3, 2016 12:37

If their post 1989-albums seem weaker, then only because of the fact that they used the extra-space that the CD offers. So they kind of lost their sense what to leave in and what to leave out. That leads to 20 minutes of subpar material on each post 89-release, songs that IMO would not have been released in the 60s/70s.

Their 60s, 70s and 80s albums had the typical vinyl-runtime of 40 minutes (often less), but they always had a lot more songs than ended up on LP. But back then they cherry picked what to release. It had to be very good instead of so-so to be part of the new album. Who knows what clunker they might would have given to us in the 70s if disc-space had allowed to release 18 tracks on a single album.

Well if you think they were done post 1982, be it. But as had been said before, you are missing a lot of very good music. I guess mostly Taylorites think that way (''without Taylor they cant be good...'') IMO the Taylor years is not their peak - their artistic peak are the single releases from 1965-1970, an extraordinary string of marvelous songs as documented on "The London Years".

The Taylor-years consists of an way-too-long-loaded-with-fillers double album and two rather weak half-baked albums (IORR, GHS). The only fabulous album the Taylor-years produced was Sticky Fingers, a great album but also no masterpiece. I could easily compile an album with tracks from Steel Wheels, Dirty Work and Undercover that would be far superior to Sticky Fingers (and far superior to Exile, of course).

The Ron-Wood-years gave us far more great music than the Taylor-years ever did, IMO.

Posted by: TransmaniaconMC ()
Date: June 3, 2016 12:55

Hi everybody,
I restrict myself down to 10 songs:

1. Out of Control
2. Rock and a hard place
3. Saint of me
4. Almost hear you sigh
5. Terrifying
6. Love is strong
7. Out of tears
8. She was Hot
9. Slipping Away
10.Continental Drift

Hm. no ABB-song...

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 3, 2016 15:18

Wow, lots of folks here are missing out on some great stuff from the modern-day Stones.

One fallacy we all face is that there are many "Album tracks"" from yesteryear that so many want to call greatest hits (Time Waits for No One comes to mind) from back when, until so many post-82 tracks are summarily dismissed. I find that Jagger is often a HORRIBLE singles-selector. Thus, HIS lead track is often far from the best on the LP. I mean Anybody Seen MY Baby and Streets of Love come to mind. Thus, the following are not all hits, and there are some deep cuts, but I think that these compliment and round out a playlist with Rocks Off, Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, and Satisfaction among others.....

Undercover of the Night
One Hit
Dirty Work
Slipping Away
Fancyman Blues
Highwire
Love Is Strong
Suck on the Jugular (hated by many, but the groove cannot be denied)
You Got Me Rocking
Saint of Me
You Don't Have to Mean It
Rough Justice
Back of My Hand
Driving Too Fast
Infamy
Oh No, Not You Again
Doom and Gloom
One More Shot

NOTE: Covers do not count (Stones songs "written" after 82) and the reissues of Exile and Some Girls do not count, either if we are to believe that these were outtakes from back then.

FINAL NOTE: Of the above, I rank Rough Justice and Back of My Hand among the band's ALL-TIME classics as in worthy of inclusion on a "Stones' Greatest Hits" on a single CD of no more than 20 songs.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 3, 2016 15:28

For me, it's baffling that so many fans don't see the greatness in tracks like Almost Hear You Sigh, Feel On Baby, Terrifying, Continental Drift, Laugh, I Nearly Died and How Can I Stop – all songs where they really went for something more than the easy «no brain-rocker» or some well-trimmed formula.

However, that's the beauty of music. We all have different opinions on it smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2016 15:35

Basically, for a popular artist, a song is valued based on its impact on the general public (not only Stones fans). Few songs past Tattoo You has had that impact on the rock/pop scene.
Their last real hit song was SMU. And even Commander knows that hits are vital to stay relevant on the popular scene. Even for an iconic band like The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home