Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Cure
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2016 11:11

With the Cure starting a major tour soon, I thought I'd put up this post. For me, the Cure is my bucket list band. For various reasons I have never been able to see them live & they are 1 of my favorite bands. Disintegration is never far from my cd player & hasn't been for 30 years. When they announced the tour, they said Seattle was going to be announced later. My fears came true & they are again playing the Sasquatch festival. It's a major pain in the butt. The venue is a 3 hour drive each way & @ this point you have to buy a pass for the whole 4 days. Over $300. So, I think I'm going to bite the bullet & get a broker ticket to see them in a smallish theater in Vegas. I'd much rather see them in that setting than in a festival. Robert has Reeves Gabrels on guitar now & that is a huge plus. Enjoyed him with Bowie several times. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but anybody have any thoughts or concert stories? "Hopelessness & prayers for rain...". smoking smiley

Re: OT: The Cure
Date: January 21, 2016 11:12

How many of the original members will be on the tour?

Date: January 21, 2016 11:14

DandelionPowderman
How many of the original members will be on the tour?
I believe its down to Robert & Simon Gallup. Pretty much the key components to their sound for me. I hear that they do really long shows (50 songs & 4 hours in Mexico City!). That's another thing about the festival thing. Shorter sets.

Date: January 21, 2016 11:18

Thanks thumbs up

Date: January 21, 2016 11:36

Could be quite the rockin' week. I'm seeing the Who in Seattle on 5/15 then looks like the Cure 5/19 in Vegas. The Scorpions are doing a residency @ the Hard Rock in Vegas that week, too. Not quite as into that one but it could be fun.

Date: January 26, 2016 10:45

I took the dive & got my ticket for the Cure in Vegas. Trip all set up. I'm excited! One good thing about Vegas is that I was able to work it & got 3 nights @ Mandalay Bay basically for free. Now to wait until mid May....

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 26, 2016 14:17

Kind of amusing how The Cure go out on tour once every 8-10 years and are always the rock critics darlings.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 28, 2016 21:59

I saw the Cure a few years ago and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Robert Smith sang and played his heart out for nearly 3 hours. I was up high in the arena, watching with binoculars, and he was fully engaged with the fans close to the stage. He truly loves to perform and is grateful for his fans. Unforgettable.

He always seems lovely in interviews as well.

Date: May 23, 2016 15:24

Back from Vegas & happy to report that the Cure were stunning. Everything I wanted & more. This tour they are playing stuff from their whole career, including some songs that haven't been performed since the 1980s. Most shows are getting 2 new songs that are really good, also. Normal show is close to 3 hours & 30+ songs. Setlists are changing nightly. The show I saw started with the first 3 songs from Disintegration. I almost had a heart attack! They ended up doing 6 songs from that album & they were wonderful. The show I saw was in a small 3000 seat theater & they couldn't fit their whole stage/light set up. The lights were excellent none the less. & the sound was phenomenal. I always liked Reeves Gabrels when he played with Bowie & he is truly adding some excellent guitar to the Cure. They were tight. Robert Smith appeared to be really enjoying himself & was very engaged. If you like the band at all, I would highly recommend going to see them this tour. It was truly a magical show for me, 25+ years in the making.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 23, 2016 23:19

Glad it lived up to your expectations.

Date: May 28, 2016 15:50

Happily I was able to get a ticket for a show in the Portland, OR area tonight. It's 5 hours of driving round trip but pretty easy. The tickets were very reasonable. I've seen all of my favorite bands multiple times (Stones 20ish for example) except for the Cure. The Vegas show was my first for them & it was amazing. Add to that they are changing the setlists every show. They rehearsed approx. 90 songs for the tour & about 70 have been played so far. Who knows how many more chances I will get? It's a holiday weekend in the states so I will have a few days to recover, haha.smoking smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 28, 2016 22:07

I saw then on the "Wish" tour in Worcester, MA at the Centrum. They were phenomenal. Three guitar lineup at that point as I recall. Very long show -- can't say there was a single song that I had hoped to hear that we didn't get.

Funny story. I was 26 and took my then girlfriend to the show. Had to pick her up from work in Cambridge to get there on time. So, she was dressed in work clothes -- skirt and blouse, and I was probably in blue jeans and a shirt. We were the OLDEST people in the building and EVERYBODY else was wearing black with heavy eye makeup. We looked a couple of old farts!

T@3

Date: May 28, 2016 22:26

TeaAtThree
I saw then on the "Wish" tour in Worcester, MA at the Centrum. They were phenomenal. Three guitar lineup at that point as I recall. Very long show -- can't say there was a single song that I had hoped to hear that we didn't get.

Funny story. I was 26 and took my then girlfriend to the show. Had to pick her up from work in Cambridge to get there on time. So, she was dressed in work clothes -- skirt and blouse, and I was probably in blue jeans and a shirt. We were the OLDEST people in the building and EVERYBODY else was wearing black with heavy eye makeup. We looked a couple of old farts!

T@3

Haha. Ya, I'm past the guyliner stage & there not enough hair to dye black. It's a good day to get out of Seattle. Raining here. Portland it isn't & is 10 degrees warmer. Good excuse to get out of the house & I'm sure Mr. Smith & company will put on another good show. I've gotten involved on Cure fan forum. Nice people there. The reports have been all good. & these are the real hardcore fans.

Date: June 5, 2016 12:46

Report from my 2nd Cure show of the tour: As stated above, I went to Portland from Seattle last weekend to catch my 2nd show in a week & a half. It was even better than the Vegas show I saw. Evidently, the band hadn't played Portland in 20 years. They were absolutely on fire. 34 songs over 3 hours. Reeves Gabrels on guitar was stellar & Robert Smith was great on lead, also. Robert does the lead on a lot of the older stuff. The whole band is playing at the top of their game & the video/light presentation was really good. Different. Over 2 shows, I saw 66 performances with 45 different songs. If you like the band at all, go! You won't be disappointed. Another plus is the band is keeping their ticket prices very fan-friendly. The Portland show was at a shed & other than some space on the lawn, sold out. About 15,000 there. I scored a pretty good ADA seat at the last minute for $40. The tshirts were $25 & tour book $10. Very reasonable. I really hope this lineup puts out a new album. If the 2 new songs they are doing on the tour are any indication, it will be a good one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1286
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home