Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: Aerosmith news and rumours
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:08

Aerosmith Without Tyler?

First there was the AC/DC saga....now this?
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-28 00:04 by bv.

Re: OT: Aerosmith Without Tyler?
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:25

HonkeyTonkFlash

What are you supposed to do if everyone's ready but one person isn't? I see their point.

But then you have to look at the fan's point too, is it still Aerosmith? Will they still go see them?

Many bands are defined by their singer and guitar player in the casual fan's mind and they're no different so I'm not sure if this will fly (some pun intended!).

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:28

Many fans equate Tyler / Perry as being the band much as many casual fans might equate Mick and Keith as BEING the Stones...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:34

I think Whitford is just saying it to say it. Aerosmith kind of like to screw with each other, either real or not. Tyler doesn't tell them in advance what he's gonna do, and they were open about the last time Tyler "took a break" they auditioned other singers. Usually, they don't go much further than that and Tyler WILL actually do his things (ie, the country stuff he's doing now, American Idol).

Personally, I think this is just something they are saying to spook him, and I think they should. They could in theory do whatever they want, and when Tyler treats them like this they have as much right to kind of put him on edge as he does with them. But again, its a weird relationship where they always seem fine (they have shows lined up), but they like to get on each other's nerves. I fully doubt this happens, but I support them saying it. I completely think it was more in jest than the headline seems.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:57

IMO, they stunk when Perry wasn't with them and they tried other guitarists years and years ago. Aerosmith to me will always be the poorman's Stones. I think they overestimate their worth to the musical landscape if they try and pull off a tour without Tyler. I won't go no matter who they have, so have at it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 19, 2016 15:59

pure garbage

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:07

They'd have to play very small venues at greatly reduced prices. I doubt any promoter would even seriously consider booking a tour like that. RollingFreak is right; they're just trying to "screw" with him, not unlike the way Page tried to screw with Plant when he auditioned other singers (including Tyler) to replace him in a reformed Led Zeppelin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-19 16:08 by tatters.

Date: May 19, 2016 17:13

RollingFreak
I think Whitford is just saying it to say it. Aerosmith kind of like to screw with each other, either real or not. Tyler doesn't tell them in advance what he's gonna do, and they were open about the last time Tyler "took a break" they auditioned other singers. Usually, they don't go much further than that and Tyler WILL actually do his things (ie, the country stuff he's doing now, American Idol).

Personally, I think this is just something they are saying to spook him, and I think they should. They could in theory do whatever they want, and when Tyler treats them like this they have as much right to kind of put him on edge as he does with them. But again, its a weird relationship where they always seem fine (they have shows lined up), but they like to get on each other's nerves. I fully doubt this happens, but I support them saying it. I completely think it was more in jest than the headline seems.

This reminds me of the fax Mick supposedly sent Keith in the 80s, telling him he wouldn't be working with him for some years...

Then again, Mick getting out of the Stones bubble may have saved the Stones's longevity as well...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2016 18:03

They could always call on Axl Rose.

Axl-smith....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 19, 2016 18:17

Aerosmith wouldn't be the same without Tyler.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 19, 2016 20:48

whitem8

... who wrote 90% of their songs.
I think that Taylor is important for Aerosmith as Mick is for Stones.
He is a Singer.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 19, 2016 20:54

they floated this one other time and steven told them flat out the first date of their "tour" would be a court date.

so they have the chance to spend a fortune on lawyer fees and being tied up for months.then if they win, their "aerosmith" can enjoy a long string of dates playing county fairs, auto and van shows and maybe doing a musical break during a monster truck competition.

it's like when keith actually mentioned something about replacing jagger-i'd like to have watched the promoter literally laugh in his face when he tried to book a show."you want to book giants stadium but micks not with you??uh,great. which section of the parking lot would like to set up bleachers in?

it falls under the category of -don't even fckng think about it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 19, 2016 21:48

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

This reminds me of the fax Mick supposedly sent Keith in the 80s, telling him he wouldn't be working with him for some years...

Then again, Mick getting out of the Stones bubble may have saved the Stones's longevity as well...
i think it was reality staring at him in the face as far as the bottom line and how many pounds he could make with the Glimmers versus his solo efforts .

Date: May 19, 2016 21:51

pepganzo
whitem8

... who wrote 90% of their songs.
I think that Taylor is important for Aerosmith as Mick is for Stones.
He is a Singer.

Not just that, but he's also the sole bit of greatness you can always rely on. Semi-like the Stones, even though Charlie is there too. But part of what make's the Stones still great is that Mick can always be counted on to blow the roof off the place. In a way, he carries the Stones on his back, when most are probably there for Mick and Keith. Tyler is very much the same. I've seen them 3 times. Say what you want, and I was skeptical about seeing them too, but Tyler blew me away. He knows how many days off he needs to put on a good show and he delivers. Sounds great, is still a dynamic frontman, and is exactly the Steven Tyler you remember/want to see. There are less people than you think that are his and Mick's age that can still do it without missing a beat, and I will champion him as one.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 20, 2016 00:01

I've never really understood why the guys in Aerosmith seem to give Steven Tyler a hard time. In the time it's taken for him to do one solo album Joe Perry has done two, toured twice solo and now even Brad Whitfield is touring and has a new album out. I appreciate that Tyler is a bit of a prat but I think he is more committed to Aerosmith than some of the others.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 00:09

mr_c_ox
I've never really understood why the guys in Aerosmith seem to give Steven Tyler a hard time. In the time it's taken for him to do one solo album Joe Perry has done two, toured twice solo and now even Brad Whitfield is touring and has a new album out. I appreciate that Tyler is a bit of a prat but I think he is more committed to Aerosmith than some of the others.

Why do you feel that Steven is more committed to Aerosmith than Joe? Joe always complains that Steven makes plans and doesn't tell them in advance, whereas Joe lays all the cards on the table well beforehand and so no one is caught unaware.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 20, 2016 00:13

This happens every 5-6 years. Joe, Joey and the others orchestrated a press campaign against Steven in about 2009 - helpfully coinciding with promo for Joe´s solo album with the German bloke. Eventually everything was patched up. And Joe blamed the whole thing on the media.

Date: May 20, 2016 00:49

DeanGoodman
This happens every 5-6 years. Joe, Joey and the others orchestrated a press campaign against Steven in about 2009 - helpfully coinciding with promo for Joe´s solo album with the German bloke. Eventually everything was patched up. And Joe blamed the whole thing on the media.

Joe states in his book that while they did consider planning to tour without Steven in 2010, they never got to asking people or holding auditions. He says "I mentioned that Steven sent us a letter asking for 2 years off, but the other thing in the article, that I had confirmed plans to replace him, I never said, and the press completely blew some very offhand comments I made out of proportion. I never said we were holding auditions, which we never had by the time Steven said he was willing to come back."

Date: May 20, 2016 01:15

Toxic34
mr_c_ox

Why do you feel that Steven is more committed to Aerosmith than Joe? Joe always complains that Steven makes plans and doesn't tell them in advance, whereas Joe lays all the cards on the table well beforehand and so no one is caught unaware.

Thats really it. I'm a big Tyler supporter, but he deserves the hard time. He outright goes out there and says, even still, that HE should get more money than the rest of the guys. I may even agree with him, but I don't think you say it. And when you do, expect the hard time they give him. When you go and just say "hey, I'm peacing for a year", expect them to be a little pissed. When you say "hey, I'm gonna do American f**king Idol and I'm not even gonna tell you about it first", I completely support them ragging on him. They can't do it without him, but he can't do it without them either. So the infighting, it kind of sucks, but it all seems to resolve itself and usually it seems its warranted.

Date: May 20, 2016 01:21

It gives them press as well winking smiley

Seriously, this feud is a blueprint of WWIII..

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 01:39

Tyler is doing a North American solo tour this summer, Perry's touring with Alice Cooper as The Hollywood Vampires. Aerosmith has tour dates booked for September.

Date: May 20, 2016 01:49

Toxic34
DeanGoodman

Joe states in his book that while they did consider planning to tour without Steven in 2010, they never got to asking people or holding auditions. He says "I mentioned that Steven sent us a letter asking for 2 years off, but the other thing in the article, that I had confirmed plans to replace him, I never said, and the press completely blew some very offhand comments I made out of proportion. I never said we were holding auditions, which we never had by the time Steven said he was willing to come back."

All true. From my book:

Perry hit the promo trail in October 2009 for his fifth solo album. He had recorded the songs quickly in Aerosmith's ample enforced downtime -- some were initially targeted for the next Aerosmith record -- with the help of an unknown German singer his wife had discovered on YouTube. Touring commitments would keep him on the road through March 2010. Everyone followed the same line of questioning: Is Aerosmith over? The prognosis was bleak. Perry said he had not written a song with Tyler in 10 years, and that it wasn't his fault.

"I'm down in my studio every day, writing, and for some reason he wants to write with people like Mark Hudson and whatever," he told me. "I haven't actually sat down with him. I finally got him to come down for one day, and we did it like the old way and it was encouraging because we came up with some good stuff. Basically we used to write songs -- he would play the drums and put a microphone in front of him, and I would play guitar and record riffs. We'd come up with this stuff. And later he started playing keyboards because he could play drums on the keyboard and we would write songs like that. But for some reason, it just started 10 years ago, we never wrote again, no matter what kind of situation.... I can't explain it. I don't see anything, at least from my end, that couldn't have been on an Aerosmith record. But without his input, it's just not that way anymore."

He did not think Tyler had heard his album. Communication between Tyler and the rest of the band was through emails sent by his manager.

A few days later Perry's wife and I got into a public spat when I wrote a story based on some of her Twitter comments. Billie Perry decided it was a good time to tell the world that she did not particularly care for Aerosmith's recordings, and had never listened to any of their albums in their entirety. “I am not a fan of Aerosmith’s music without the live performance behind it,” she wrote. “Honestly I have never listened to 1 CD all the way through. I listen in the studio when they record. I’ve never put an Aero CD on my player. I did order a few songs from iTunes, but have not listened.” I facetiously noted that she was hardly being the "dutiful wife" and she ripped me on her Twitter page, but then deleted the post.

In November Whitford and Kramer spoke to me on successive days in an anti-Tyler campaign orchestrated by a former publicist for the band. It was clear Aerosmith was going through a belated and public mid-life crisis not too different from the ugly one that tore the Rolling Stones asunder during the mid-80s. I assumed Aerosmith would similarly get over it, and felt the bandmates were wrongly using the media to communicate with Tyler . The band's threats to replace Tyler were ludicrous. Did they really think fans would pay good money to see, say, Sammy Hagar or Paul Rodgers sashay around the stage singing "Walk This Way"? Alas, Tyler 's camp ignored numerous requests for comment, so the stories were inevitably one-sided. Still, it was good to speak for the first time with the relatively low-profile Whitford and the newly minted author Kramer.

Whitford said he and Tyler had had a contentious relationship for many years, with neither of them that anxious to talk to the other. "I just find him ... very difficult to talk to. Most people say, 'How's it going? Nice day.' And (with Tyler ) it won't be, 'Yeah, it is a nice day.' All of a sudden it's drama."

He feared Tyler might be back on drugs, though he had no evidence. "I suspect there's a lot more going on than we know about. He has a well documented history of drug abuse, and I find myself very suspicious. I haven't seen him do this or ... have any personal knowledge, but the isolation is very typical of addictive behavior, and his -- what I call -- irrational behavior."

"I get the sense that Steven has put us on his list of 'My Problems' and somehow we've created his problems, and that's the furthest thing from the truth," Whitford continued. "Time and time again we've supported him, and been backing him up for almost 40 years. I think there's times when we've been one of the things that he was always able to count on."

Kramer, who considered Tyler "my brother and my friend for 40 years," was reluctant to accuse him of getting back on drugs: "I think that Steven has just made some poor choices as of late, and he's got some bad influences around, and I think for the most part he's his own worst enemy … I just really hope that Steven puts the focus on Steven and gets healthy."

I asked Kramer if this was all one big scare tactic, a bid to shock Tyler back into the fold. "Not at all, not at all," he said. And he added, less convincingly, "Not by any means, not by any means."

But of course no one had made serious entreaties to prospective singers, underscoring the hollowness of their threats and the inherent media manipulation. As expected, Tyler did return to the fold, and the band launched a four-month tour of the Americas and Europe in the summer of 2010, ending just in time for him to begin his judging stint on American Idol. By all accounts, his new gig was well-received though I couldn't bring myself to tune in. His bandmates and fans had little choice but to indulge his self-branding efforts. He also released a solo single, which sank without a trace, and a memoir, which the Boston Globe described as a "barely-literate hack job." The long-threatened solo album was put on the backburner.

History threatened to repeat itself in 2011 when the band played some more shows in South America: Tyler slipped in the shower of his Asuncion hotel room and broke some teeth. But this time the concert was merely delayed by a day. His bandmates publicly marveled at his show-must-go-on ethos.

Indeed Perry, eager to enlist the media to promote his agenda when it suited him, now blamed the media for fomenting ill will with Tyler . "The media always wants to sling mud and lies at people's personal expense," he said on Twitter.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 20, 2016 01:49

steven once said something about aerosmith that made me think of the stones-

"we could be fighting like cats and and dogs backstage before a show but when we get out there and they hit that first note everything is alright again.
there's this look between us... and we just get it on"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2016 01:57

geeeeez no Tyler .... scarf sales will plummet ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 20, 2016 02:03

DeanGoodman

All true. From my book:

Took a look see if your book was out. Might be an interesting buy. Read my post on this site about my problems with the credibility of John Densmore's book about his legal fight against Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger? If not, here it is: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 02:19 by Toxic34.

Date: May 20, 2016 03:13

Pretty good summation. He had a point about the use of Doors of the 21st Century, but the rest of it was baloney.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 03:45

HonkeyTonkFlash

They should have packed it in about 1982. They have become a version of bon jovi and there aint much worse than that

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 20, 2016 04:41

Long John Stoner
. Aerosmith to me will always be the poorman's Stones.

t.

The homeless mans Stones..

This is the only good moment Aerosmith ever gave me.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 08:00

stanlove

This is the only good moment Aerosmith ever gave me.

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not Aerosmith's biggest fan, but it's big of you to kick a man when he's down. Total class. You're really elevating the conversation.

No, not really.

But do tell us more about how your deepest joy is reached though the pain and suffering of others. Very telling.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: May 20, 2016 08:10

Piecing bits of various interviews to make a "story". Nothing to see here...See you on the Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home