Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: OT: Aerosmith Without Tyler?
Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 20, 2016 09:24

Aerosmith never clicked with me.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 20, 2016 19:44

Like AC/DC, I liked what this band did in the 1970's, period. Both AC/DC and Aerosmith hit a commercial formula in the 1980s and never went back to making truly original and creative music. AC/DC lost Bon Scott, so their change in sound, while I never liked it much, was at least inevitable, but Aerosmith became a radio-superfriendly pop music entity all on its own. But at least it was Aerosmith, you know? A big fan could go for the nostalgia. Without Steven Tyler, Aerosmith is absolutely not Aerosmith. Sammy Hagar?? Yikes. Disaster. Anyway, I think it is mostly irrelevant, as the band has really been nothing special for over 36 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2016 20:08

Tate
Like AC/DC, I liked what this band did in the 1970's, period. Both AC/DC and Aerosmith hit a commercial formula in the 1980s and never went back to making truly original and creative music. AC/DC lost Bon Scott, so their change in sound, while I never liked it much, was at least inevitable, but Aerosmith became a radio-superfriendly pop music entity all on its own. But at least it was Aerosmith, you know? A big fan could go for the nostalgia. Without Steven Tyler, Aerosmith is absolutely not Aerosmith. Sammy Hagar?? Yikes. Disaster. Anyway, I think it is mostly irrelevant, as the band has really been nothing special for over 36 years.

I agree Tate, but would say closer to 40 years.
I like several tunes from their first few albums, but mainly because it brings back memories of my best friend at the time who was a die-hard fan.
He played those albums relentlessly - whether anyone else liked it or not.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 21, 2016 00:19

ultimaterocker
Piecing bits of various interviews to make a "story". Nothing to see here...See you on the Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017

I'll wait for the highly anticipated "reunion tour" in 2019!

I even liked Aerosmith in the early 80's after Perry/Whitford quit and they had Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay on guitars! Rick's daughter is Minka Kelly, the gorgeous actress who was on Friday Night Lights.

Date: May 21, 2016 00:50

i think every aerosmith album up until 1990 was great

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:01

Respect their early stuff, not really a big fan, but 'No More No More' definitely gets them into rock and roll heaven.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 21, 2016 04:17

Hairball
Tate

I agree Tate, but would say closer to 40 years.
I like several tunes from their first few albums, but mainly because it brings back memories of my best friend at the time who was a die-hard fan.
He played those albums relentlessly - whether anyone else liked it or not.

We would not have gotten along very well. When someone tries to make me listen to music because thats what they like we have a big problem.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 21, 2016 07:16

I love Aerosmith

That band would not be the same if Steven Tyler was not in the band.

Aerosmith Rock

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 21, 2016 13:13

from aerosmith facebook page.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 21, 2016 16:44

wonderboy
Respect their early stuff, not really a big fan, but 'No More No More' definitely gets them into rock and roll heaven.

Got that right!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 21, 2016 17:51

I love Tyler and Aerosmith but they've not been great for years. And now with Tyler going COUNTRY, well that is a huge turn-off for me! He seems to be in it just for the money. angry smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 21, 2016 18:09

pepganzo
from aerosmith facebook page.

Lol gotta be huge BS. I believe that the rumor is untrue, but there's no way they were all just on the phone with each other talking about how excited they are for the tour. Maybe their LAWYERS were all on the phone hammering out contracts, but all 5 members of Aerosmith were not recently on the phone with each other talking about the upcoming tour lol. But I applaud the effort.

And while this obviously is a confirmed denial, which is nice, I don't put it past the band to have let this gain traction, as I've said I think they should. They definitely put it out there (didn't Brad Whitford say it in an interview?) and I always find it fun the way Aerosmith operates. They never would have gone through with it, but they have the right to put it out there and light a fire under Tyler's ass. I do like that since it was so obviously just talk and never going to happen they shut it down now. Speculation is fun, but this was not going to be an AC/DC type thing.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 11, 2016 15:00

Long John Stoner
Aerosmith to me will always be the poorman's Stones.

Yeah, but check this out. Not sure what year it's from but an absolutely riveting performance ... primal rock and roll of the highest caliber, IMO.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 22:44 by drewmaster.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 11, 2016 23:48

drewmaster
Long John Stoner

Yeah, but check this out. Not sure what year it's from but an absolutely riveting performance ... primal rock and roll of the highest caliber, IMO.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew
Just looking at their haircuts, this could be well over 10 years old. However, they're still VERY capable of putting on a great show. Steven Tyler is one of the few rockers blessed with absolutely indestructible vocal cords, and the rest of the band is musically tight.

The issue is with all the internal drama. Tyler is planning on releasing his solo country album this year and going out on tour, so who knows what's going to happen.

I don't think they have any great music left in them anymore as a band. They've promised a "return to their roots" for over 20 years, but every time they put something out, it's the same old stock hard rocker/power ballad/outside songwriter formula.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 12, 2016 00:30

drewmaster
Long John Stoner

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

The Honkin' on Bobo period if Joey´s drum head is anything to go by. This was also before Joe starting doing his hair like Bonnie Raitt. Great clip, thanks. I last saw them in Berlin, the day before the Stones' Waldbuehne gig, and they were phenomenal. The Stones-Aerosmith crossover is overplayed, and not very accurate.

Steven announces farewell tour for Aerosmith in 2017
Posted by: swaff ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:18

Not sure how I feel at the moment, you?

Re: Steven announces farewell tour for Aerosmith in 2017
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 27, 2016 03:08

Let 'em. They've had their run. Tired of all the infighting and narcissistic behavior from Tyler. Will he stay? Will he go? Will they get another lead singer? Will anyone care?

Date: June 27, 2016 04:03

I never was a huge Aerosmith fan, but I guess I;m a little upset that in a sense, it's giving off a vibe of 'One more down, X more to go...'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 04:03 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2016 05:46

scarf production across the globe will plummet .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 27, 2016 06:57

scarf production across the globe will plummet ....

Dang it... I was just cleaning my closets and old scarves to sell on ebay... and now scarfexit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 06:58 by jambay.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 27, 2016 18:58

They don't have one song that I like. Well maybe just one.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 27, 2016 19:11

See also here: [www.iorr.org] thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 19:24 by Koen.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 27, 2016 20:25

More Hot Rocks
They don't have one song that I like. Well maybe just one.

Adams Apple was pretty good.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 27, 2016 20:39

The only decent thing they ever did.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 27, 2016 21:11

Great live band. I'll see them live.
Honking on' bobo is also a very good blues album.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 21:18

stanlove

[www.youtube.com]
I don't understand how a Stones fan can completely hate Aerosmith.

I can understand fans who dislike the polished '80s/'90s Aerosmith. I don't agree, as I think Permanent Vacation, Pump, and even Get a Grip and Nine Lives all have a ton of great songs, but I get not liking the over-production and the outside songwriters.

But to hate '70s Aerosmith? I just don't get it.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 27, 2016 21:31

keefriff99
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

I can understand fans who dislike the polished '80s/'90s Aerosmith. I don't agree, as I think Permanent Vacation, Pump, and even Get a Grip and Nine Lives all have a ton of great songs, but I get not liking the over-production and the outside songwriters.

True - I've always felt that Aerosmith appealed to my Stonesy tastes in music. I feel the Stones are much better but Aerosmith are also very good. And it's really not fair to call them a Stones rip-off; image-wise they resembled the Mick and Keith thing but sound-wise they had their own thing. They were more hard rock than Rolling Stones type rock and roll.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 27, 2016 21:37

keefriff99
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

Their first five albums were tremendous. 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 right in a row. A pretty amazing even justifiably historic run of greatness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-30 22:41 by hopkins.

Date: June 27, 2016 22:14

hopkins
keefriff99
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

Their first five albums were tremendous. 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 right in a row. A pretty amazing even justifiably historic run of greatness. I mean 5 GREAT albums in a row, pretty impressive, but they lost me after that, and, for me, they became progressively more horrid after that and I haven't really cared about their music or shtick since, tho I was a huge huge fan when they started and for five years after. In their time (that time-frame anyway) they were truly great. Very few bands make 5 great albums, especially in a row, so they deserve respect for that imho. Great players and tremendous excitement that was well deserved. Also, to make light of a stage accident and serious injury to any performer is cruel. Steven's new faux country cashville slop is not something to forgive imo. If offered an all access pass to one of the farewell shows, I would not attend.
No doubt, Tyler is a businessman, but to me there has always been something genuine about him. So, the Country-ved project seems somehow legit to me. I don't think there is a market for it, but..

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 27, 2016 22:26

Toys in the Attic

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home