Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 2016 World Ice Hockey Championships in Russia
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2016 02:14

So, time for quarterfinals already. Beginning on Thursday. Here is my, personal, forecast.

- Czechia - USA
- Canada - Sweden

- Finland - Denmark
- Russia - Germany

Canada lost to Finland today with 4-0 and will not lose against Sweden in the Quarterfinals. Sweden hasn't convinced anyone so far. Czechia will probably win against USA but you never know with the Americans. On a good day they can win against anyone. In the old days you could never bet on Finland. These days you can. And Germany's chance to win against Russia is pretty negligible. So the semifinals will probably look like this:

Czechia - Canada
Russia - Finland

What do you think?

Re: OT: 2016 World Ice Hockey Championships in Russia
Date: May 18, 2016 08:08

The Czech Republic and Russia are the best teams I've seen in this tournament - by far..You swedes were saved by the referee against Norway smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2016 09:15

Snillen Spekulerar... smiling smiley

I Think Finland will be the Winners this year...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2016 09:29

You're right, Dandy. But that wouldn't have changed anything anyway. And I might add, as Come On said, that the Finns have looked good also.
Anyway, the final games will be interesting to watch. Even if the Swedes finds an early exit...

Date: May 18, 2016 09:36

Will be exciting indeed!

Yes, the finns look strong, too.

Two points against Sweden and points against Russia (we were actually pretty close there) would have meant a quarter final for us, right?

Well, I'm just dreaming, of course smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2016 10:00

DandelionPowderman
Will be exciting indeed!

Two points against Sweden and points against Russia (we were actually pretty close there) would have meant a quarter final for us, right?

Mmmm...without Thoresen Norway is ^^^^^**¨¨ smiling smiley

Is he on holiday or what?

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2016 10:01

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Will be exciting indeed!

Mmmm...without Thoresen Norway is ^^^^^**¨¨ smiling smiley

Is he on holiday or what?

He quit the national team, unfortunately. Zucca isn't to bad of a replacement, though smiling smiley

Thoresen's father is taking over as the head coach, though..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-18 10:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 18, 2016 10:38

Allright...If I were head coach for Tre Kronor and my son was the best hockey-player in the country I would have started a particular ordering...

Son & Father

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2016 10:49

Zucca is the best player in Norway, though smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: May 18, 2016 11:12

Jim Craig going to auction gold medal from 1980 and flag and jersey.

Date: May 18, 2016 11:58

DandelionPowderman
Zucca is the best player in Norway, though smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Thoresen was second best Point-machine in Swedish Hockey Legue this season, and played in my Team Djurgårdens IF...Pffttt Zucarelli...NY Rangers...MoDo....

tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2016 12:05

grinning smiley

Date: May 18, 2016 12:11

DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley

BTW DP, what happens with Vålerengen this season? You got our Star Left defender Jesper Arvidsson...Djurgårdens defence is a Deep hole right now after he left...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 20, 2016 08:35

I know, Rolling Stones fans gives a shit about hockey. Anyway the semifinals will look like this: Canada-USA and Russia-Finland. Both matches will be played tomorrow in the newly built Ice Palace in Moscow.
My guess is that this will lead into a final between Canada and Russia. Team Sweden went out in the quarterfinals two World Cups in a row now. The headcoach, Pär Mårts, is heavily criticized in Swedish media for this.
Luckily this was his last tournament anyway. In September we will have another tournament coming up - World Cup of Hockey. Whatever that is? Looks like a joke to me. Apparently the NHL has something to do with this.

Date: May 20, 2016 08:42

Come On
DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley

BTW DP, what happens with Vålerengen this season? You got our Star Left defender Jesper Arvidsson...Djurgårdens defence is a Deep hole right now after he left...

Roy Johansen takes over as the head coach. That alone will make sure they win the league. Be careful with saying "Vålerengen" to the fans - it's Vålerenga, preferably "Vål'enga" grinning smiley

Date: May 20, 2016 08:46

In the same way Djurgården is "juu'gårn" to Djurgården fans...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 09:03

I'm not sure how much attention the tournament is getting in Canada. As I've mentioned in previous years, I'm sure the players on Team Canada and probably Team USA view this as a consolation for not making the Stanley Cup Playoffs or getting knocked out early of the playoffs.
I'll be watching if Canada makes the finals. I hope they face Finland since Finland beat us 4-0 in the final game of the round robin!

Date: May 20, 2016 09:54

DGA35
I'm sure the players on Team Canada and probably Team USA view this as a consolation for not making the Stanley Cup Playoffs or getting knocked out early of the playoffs.

I wish our NHL-players had that attitude. I'm afraid some of them view this as an intrusion on their summer holidays. A few of them don't even bother to have a legit reason not to show up.
Which would have been unthought-of in the past

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 09:55 by Stoneage.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 20, 2016 10:03

I noticed that, looking especially at the Swedish and U.S. line-ups: a lot of the best available players presumably turned down the invitation to play. The Finns definitely look like the team to beat and Patrick Laine is lighting it up.

Date: May 21, 2016 15:33

Semifinals today:

- Russia - Finland 15:15 CET (09:15 in New York)

- Canada - USA 19:15 CET (13:15 in New York)

My forecast: Russia and Canada wins. What do you think?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 21, 2016 16:15

Just watching.
Really interesting matches today.

Date: May 21, 2016 17:48

Well, Finland leads after two periods, 3-1. A really good game. I can't see how the Russians are gonna turn this one around...

Date: May 22, 2016 11:33

So, Russia failed. Again. On home ground in Moscow. I wonder if President Putin will attend today's final? Anyway, I will root for Finland today. Hyvä Suomi! Go Laine and Aho!

- Final: Canada - Finland 19:30 CET (13:30 NY time)

Date: May 22, 2016 23:03

Congrats to Team Canada!! Good game. When Canadian teams get picked, they usually look for younger players and then add a couple veterans. Most times any of the superstars that are available don't get asked or decline after a long NHL season. Watching the celebration, they show the crowd and some Finnish fans in tears. That shows how much this tournament means to the European countries, where as I'm sure most Canadian fans back home will think oh we won? That's nice.
This September is the World Cup of Hockey in Toronto so I'm sure that's what a lot of Canadian players are looking forward to, although none of this current Team Canada lineup was chosen to play in that tournament for Canada. Corey Perry and Brad Marchand might get chosen.

Date: May 22, 2016 23:24

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the result. It was looking like Finland was unstoppable, especially with Laine lighting it up. I gotta say I have very little interest in the World Cup of Hockey-looks like a cash grab for the NHL to me. Do we need another tournament? Anyway, congrats to both teams today-I wasn't allowed by my daughter to watch but will watch the highlights later.

Date: May 22, 2016 23:38

Hey Andrewm, I feel the same with you about the World Cup of Hockey, especially since the NHL plays in the Olympics now, although I hear that might not last.
I'm a die hard Blackhawks fan, so the last thing I want to see is someone like Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford, etc. get injured in this tournament and miss part of the NHL regular season.

Date: May 23, 2016 00:22

Yeah, I hear you. I'm a Leafs fan so, presuming that they pick Matthews first overall, I'd hate to see him make the Under 23 team, then get injured. I figure with our luck that'll happen.

Date: May 23, 2016 00:23

How can representing your national team in the world championship be less important than playing for your club in the national league?

Beats me..

Date: May 23, 2016 00:41

Who said it was? I think it's more complicated than one being more important than the other. For one thing, assuming you're referring to the NHL, your "club team" is paying you a lot of money and you play with those teammates all year. Secondly, as has been mentioned many times each time this tournament occurs every year, the Worlds just aren't that big a deal in North America. Certainly far more stock is put in the Olympics. I understand that is a contentious issue. I can only speak to the Canadian team in noting that players seem more keen to go, even after the rigours of an 82-game season (or more, if you were in the playoffs), the last few years than they used to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 00:49 by andrewm.

Date: May 23, 2016 01:02

Understood, but there has to be a way to make space for the world cup, surely? Make a break, extend the season, or something. I dunno...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home