Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill Wyman song on It's Only Rock 'n Roll 1974
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 2, 2016 13:48

24FPS
Rockman
24FPS
Bills LAST album, from a few months ago, is his best. It's certainly better than Keith's. It even has a single which is quite good.

The single sounds John Cooper Clark reciting in front of a backing band

I don't even know who John Cooper Clark is, so I totally enjoyed it. And so do some people I've turned on to it who don't know who Bill Wyman is.

I also don't know John Cooper Clark but Bill's 'reciting' reminded me of the late Johnny Cash

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 2, 2016 15:31

Palace Revolution 2000
One can only speculate but had Mick and Keith taken him full on seriously, and looked upon his song ideas as equals...

Equals? Not even close! Again, as stated over & over, whenever this debate comes up -- Bill didn't care one bit about songwriting, not until he saw what Mick and Keith were making extra for it. He states in his own words, Mick and Keith would hole up in a room writing, while he and Brian would go scouting for chicks.

Date: May 2, 2016 18:37

LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
One can only speculate but had Mick and Keith taken him full on seriously, and looked upon his song ideas as equals...

Equals? Not even close! Again, as stated over & over, whenever this debate comes up -- Bill didn't care one bit about songwriting, not until he saw what Mick and Keith were making extra for it. He states in his own words, Mick and Keith would hole up in a room writing, while he and Brian would go scouting for chicks.
Just specufunkalizing...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:46

Call it like it is. Mick and Keith had a gift as brilliant writers. Bill...maybe a little but, but if he had not been in The Rolling Stones nobody would've bought his solo albums. Love him as a bass player but as a solo act, ehhh....

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:53

HonkeyTonkFlash
Call it like it is. Mick and Keith had a gift as brilliant writers. Bill...maybe a little but, but if he had not been in The Rolling Stones nobody would've bought his solo albums. Love him as a bass player but as a solo act, ehhh....

Would you say the same about Woody? And Charlie...though of course his solo work has not required him to compose, as such.

Date: May 2, 2016 19:25

jlowe
HonkeyTonkFlash

Would you say the same about Woody? And Charlie...though of course his solo work has not required him to compose, as such.

Valid questions. I personally like Woody's solo material very much and feel he's a pretty good writer. I like his voice too, although many don't. Of course his career as a solo would never have been so well received if people didn't already know him as a Face / Stone. Charlie's great but the main reason anybody listens to his jazz projects is because they love him from the Stones....so being in a famous band helps. I'm glad fame gave Woody's solo stuff a boost because I think he's very good. Bill...well, I love him playing bass in the Stones but his solo material doesn't sound that good in my opinion. But to each their own...

Date: May 2, 2016 19:29

Palace Revolution 2000
LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000

Just specufunkalizing...

Understood. Still I think once Mick/Keith clicked in and knew they could write hits, it was too late for the others. The time to get in was early on when they decided to move away from covers. Andrew picked Mick & Keith, I would have to assume, due to their greater dedication over the others (using Bill's book as evidence of that).

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 3, 2016 11:32

Though Andrew picked Mick and Keith they still had that Nanker-Phelge Thing going. Out of that one or another could have emancipated himself by offering a composition. As Martin Elliott f.e. puts it there are attempts on Songs by Brian and Bill in the ealry years.

Date: May 3, 2016 11:47

jlowe
HonkeyTonkFlash

Wood's most successful solo album was released before he joined the Stones, though...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 3, 2016 13:21

HonkeyTonkFlash

It must really bug The Glimmer Twins that Bill had the biggest solo hit in the UK of all of them with "Si, Si, Je Sius un Rock Star".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 3, 2016 16:50

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
HonkeyTonkFlash

Wood's most successful solo album was released before he joined the Stones, though...
True, but he had achieved some fame as a member of The Faces by then.

Date: May 4, 2016 04:41

Poor Bill. The poor gets blasted for his supposedly bad cup of tea in Keith's book. Is it just me but this seem a very petty criticism of Bill? Make no mistake that I love Keith and his book. I just felt like he got the short end of the stick from Keith. By Keith's account, Bill was just lucky to be with them and was only with them because of his top equipment. As the only Rolling Stone who I ever met, I feel badly for Bill. He deserved better than what Keith slopped on his plate.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2016 07:30

charlesbaudelaire
Poor Bill. The poor gets blasted for his supposedly bad cup of tea in Keith's book. Is it just me but this seem a very petty criticism of Bill? Make no mistake that I love Keith and his book. I just felt like he got the short end of the stick from Keith. By Keith's account, Bill was just lucky to be with them and was only with them because of his top equipment. As the only Rolling Stone who I ever met, I feel badly for Bill. He deserved better than what Keith slopped on his plate.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

I wouldn't feel bad for Bill. He's kicked enough holes in their mythology to knock the Glimmer Twins down a couple pegs. If Keith felt Bill was really lucky just to be there, he wouldn't have tried repeatedly, to first get him not to retire, and then to leave the door open for future tours. Come on, Bill's carved out a good life. He's well respected among his peers. He got off the sinking Stones ship as it sank artistically. Years ago he said he had no desire to play the same songs over and over. Well, he was right. Now it's almost like Keith and the others go comically out of their way to praise Darryl, when it's obvious he doesn't enhance their sound like Bill did.

Date: May 4, 2016 07:37

charlesbaudelaire
...By Keith's account, Bill was just lucky to be with them and was only with them because of his top equipment...

Actually that is by Bill's account. Bill always said that was why the Stones brought him on board, Keith was likely just repeating it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2016 10:01

LeonidP
charlesbaudelaire
...By Keith's account, Bill was just lucky to be with them and was only with them because of his top equipment...

Actually that is by Bill's account. Bill always said that was why the Stones brought him on board, Keith was likely just repeating it.

But that's such B.S. They certainly became tight after 1965, with Bill moving over to Keith's side of the stage permanently. And there's plenty of instances on the DVD from back then of Keith and Bill smiling at one another and having a joke.

Date: May 4, 2016 15:48

24FPS
LeonidP
charlesbaudelaire

But that's such B.S. They certainly became tight after 1965, with Bill moving over to Keith's side of the stage permanently. And there's plenty of instances on the DVD from back then of Keith and Bill smiling at one another and having a joke.

Okay, but not sure how that makes it BS? That would have been '62.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:12

According to the story, Bill also had cigarettes and didn't mind sharing them. I think LeonidP may be right, that we are taking an inside joke among the band members too seriously.

Date: May 4, 2016 17:29

blivet
According to the story, Bill also had cigarettes and didn't mind sharing them. I think LeonidP may be right, that we are taking an inside joke among the band members too seriously.

Yes, forgot about the cigarettes! And agree, I think it was more a joke/self deprecating humor from Bill, with possibly a touch of truth -- and nothing that was to be taken seriously in any way ... i mean if Bill was truly offended, why would he stay on for the next 30 years!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:25

i mean if Bill was truly offended, why would he stay on for the next 30 years!

He had 5000 cartons of black-market cigarettes ta get rid of ... he sure was glad when Ronnie joined

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home