Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Happy 40th Black and Blue!
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:25

Another vote for the whole album from here. Hand Of Fate Hey Negrita Memory Motel Hot Stuff Crazy Mama Melody Cherry Oh Baby even Fool to Cry I don't skip a track

A memory...hearing them inside playing Crazy Mama at soundcheck Granby Halls Leicester

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:49

HonkeyTonkFlash
When Black and Blue came out, I was not thrilled with the first songs I heard on the radio, Fool To Cry and Hot Stuff. They grew on me though, and now I love this funky little album!
[www.examiner.com]

One of their best!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:53

deardoctor
7 killer
1 filler (cherry)
one of their best and their last big experiment. after that they lent back into their classic style.

True.
I think BB is better than It's Only Rock and Roll, an album that has got similiar element in some tracks. Better sound, better tracks, three great lead guitarists.

I love also this pictures from this album.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 21, 2016 19:10

Like it, one of the albums I used to play quite a bit.
Great sound, great grooves. Memory Motel is a guilty pleasure.
An album made by a great band that just showed up with some good riffs and rhythms and put an album together. I know a lot of critics in the 70s were looking for theme albums and grand statements so this one didn't get good reviews. But it's held up.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 21, 2016 19:30

deardoctor
7 killer
1 filler (cherry)

Agree ... but substitute Cherry for Fool To Cry as the filler track

one of their best and their last big experiment. after that they lent back into their classic style.

Disagree, Miss You/Emotional/Undercover ... certainly those are as experimental as songs on B&B

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 21, 2016 20:28

latebloomer
Hairball
Hot Stuff and Hand of Fate are the only ones I listen to regularly anymore.
Sometimes Crazy Mama, and occasionally Memory Motel - "She got a mind of her own And she use it well..." - the best part.

Isn't it, though?? Just a little line that absolutely kills...Keith's voice sounds so sweet and pure and sexy as hell. Love the whole album, actually.

Cripes, I think that line is one of the worst they ever cranked out, at least during their pre-1983 period. It sounds so schmaltzy and phony.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 20:42

Thought the album was OK when it came out, though wasn't that keen on Fool to cry as a single at the time......

But.....Now thoroughly enjoy it all except cherry ....... Which I always skip

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 21, 2016 21:31

wonderboy
Like it, one of the albums I used to play quite a bit.
Great sound, great grooves. Memory Motel is a guilty pleasure.
An album made by a great band that just showed up with some good riffs and rhythms and put an album together. I know a lot of critics in the 70s were looking for theme albums and grand statements so this one didn't get good reviews. But it's held up.

thumbs up

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 02:37

I just can't believe it has been 40 yrs that blows my mind!

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 04:06

on my iPod my Black and Blue playlist is

Slave
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Memory Motel
Hot Stuff
Hey Negrita
Melody
Worried About You
Crazy Mama

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: April 22, 2016 04:53

Hand Of Fate and Memory Motel are classic tracks imo

Hot Stuff, Fool To Cry, Crazy Mama, Melody are quite enjoyable

Hey Negrita is average (take or leave it)

Cherry O Baby ugh

I agree great sounding album! MEZ

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:44

I got Black n Blue on my 16th Birthday, June 24 1976. Boy, i loved it then, and still do. Great album and great album cover too.

Jeroen

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:04

corriecas
I got Black n Blue on my 16th Birthday, June 24 1976. Boy, i loved it then, and still do. Great album and great album cover too.

Jeroen

I was also 16 in 1976 and the release of a new Stones album was indeed an event! I also thought it was a great cover; it was the first time in quite awhile that a new Stones LP featured their faces so prominently and it was a great shot.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2016 17:31

corriecas

Jeroen

The 29th of May 1976 concert in The hague,Holland was my first Stones concert. With my Brother, who turned me on into the Stones. Hope i will see my 31st concert pretty soon.
Jeroen

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:09

good sounding album but weak on some songs although the album does grow on you after a while.

it needed more than 8 songs, they could easily have found good recordings to beef it up a bit,

crazy mama and memory motel being the best on the album.

fool to cry and hand of fate are average.

hot stuff and hey negrita depend on the mood but are quite funky.

cherry o baby and melody dissapoint.

it needed maybe one blues and a couple more rockers similar to if you cant rock me, heartbreaker type of song and possibly slave and that would have boosted it into the almost classic album territory.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:11

I love it, just such a cool, wonderful album. Get's a lot of love from the likes of Izzy Stradlin', Nikki Sixx (who chose it as 'Coolest Album Ever'), and Steve Tyler who chose 2 B&B tracks among his Top-10 Stones.

Soundwise it's perfect, and it's simply a decadent, druggy and damn fine album. Not a classic of course, not a major work, but all 8 songs just flow so well together; and it's eclectic nature is definitely part of it's charm. 'Memory Motel' would be a first rate Stones tune, as would 'Hand of Fate'. 'Crazy Mama' I have always loved, a classic-sounding rock track with sounds so simply but as always with the Stones, look how they turn that simplistic open-G rock track into something compelling.

Wonderful album smiling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:13

This album was a high point for Mick's vocals, imo.
His phrasing was good, his voice was still strong. In the years that followed, I think he became more mannered or started barking the lyrics.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:06

Best Engineered Album they ever did. The sound quality is amazing to this day.
Only 16 track recording.

Were the beach shots taken in Montalk LI at Andy Warhol's house?

Pecman

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:19

buttons67

it needed more than 8 songs, they could easily have found good recordings to beef it up a bit,

it needed maybe one blues and a couple more rockers similar to if you cant rock me, heartbreaker type of song and possibly slave and that would have boosted it into the almost classic album territory.

This is a vinyl´s days product, its running time is approximately 40 minutes, isnt it? The songs are rather long and that´s why they limited it to 8 songs. Had they added only two more songs, running time would have been close to 50 minutes or even more. Vinyl starts to sound less good if the running time gets over 45 minutes, that´s in the nature of production.

Date: April 22, 2016 23:37

Well, here's a hatchet job on the album that I totally disagree with...
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 00:43

LieB
latebloomer
Hairball
Sometimes Crazy Mama, and occasionally Memory Motel - "She got a mind of her own And she use it well..." - the best part.

Isn't it, though?? Just a little line that absolutely kills...Keith's voice sounds so sweet and pure and sexy as hell. Love the whole album, actually.

Cripes, I think that line is one of the worst they ever cranked out, at least during their pre-1983 period. It sounds so schmaltzy and phony.

well.... you are wrong

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 23, 2016 18:35

potus43
LieB
latebloomer
Hairball

well.... you are wrong
Totally!

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: April 24, 2016 18:37

I've always made allowances for this album, given that the band was in flux. 1975-1976 Mick Taylor had left, Keith's drug addiction was severely limiting his abilities, the band was using these sessions to audition a new guitarist & the music scene was shifting toward disco, etc. I cannot help but feel that a healthy Keith Richards would have done all of the guitar work on these songs [as he did for most of Let It Bleed], and the results would have been extraordinary. For me, 'Hey Negrita' & 'Memory Motel' are the best songs. I've always felt that 'Hand Of Fate' & 'Crazy Mama' have a great riff - but are incomplete / unfinished. 1969-1972 Keith would have punched up the Guitars; overdubbed additional guitar parts to give these songs more punch and drive. 'Hot Stuff' never really impressed me. Hate it as an opening track, lyrically disappointing. I've learned to accept the high falsetto of 'Fool To Cry' [would be a great song without it]. 'Cherry Oh Baby' & 'Melody' are nice changes / experiments to the Stones canon.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2016 12:27

If you add Slave and Worried, here you have a new 70s masterpiece

Date: April 25, 2016 15:25

KeithNacho
If you add Slave and Worried, here you have a new 70s masterpiece

I would have gladly traded those two for Cherry and Fool To Cry!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 25, 2016 17:44

Well done boys!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 25, 2016 18:17

I wish they had released a single of Hot Stuff/Worried About You during the TOTA '75.

Putting out Hot Stuff a year earlier would have shown them to be way ahead of the disco trend, instead of lagging behind it.

And it would have been exciting to have them play at least one brand new song burning up the radio. The albums released for the tour were Old Stuff: Made In The Shade, and Metamorphosis (on London). The songs from IORR (put out the previous year--not old by today's standards but it seemed that way because Rock N Roll Time ran a lot FASTER then) were the newest things played, but felt like day-old doughnuts instead of out-of-the-box fresh

And Hot Stuff and the B&B sessions just SOUNDED so much better...more sonic punch than GHS or IORR. It would have been a great indicator that the Stones were back in the game, in control, and looking forward.

But the record business had changed by '75 where major artists (except for McCartney) were no longer releasing non-LP 45s. "Relay" by The Who in ('73?) was I think the last time anyone did that. The album was king, and songs were saved up, with singles used to promote them.

Anyway, putting myself back in time and seeing them at the Forum a couple of nights, I can only imagine what the impact would have been had they served up Hot Stuff on that tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 19:40 by loog droog.

Date: April 25, 2016 20:49

loog droog
I wish they had released a single of Hot Stuff/Worried About You during the TOTA '75.

Putting out Hot Stuff a year earlier would have shown them to be way ahead of the disco trend, instead of lagging behind it.

And it would have been exciting to have them play at least one brand new song burning up the radio. The albums released for the tour were Old Stuff: Made In The Shade, and Metamorphosis (on London). The songs from IORR (put out the previous year--not old by today's standards but it seemed that way because Rock N Roll Time ran a lot FASTER then) were the newest things played, but felt like day-old doughnuts instead of out-of-the-box fresh

And Hot Stuff and the B&B sessions just SOUNDED so much better...more sonic punch than GHS or IORR. It would have been a great indicator that the Stones were back in the game, in control, and looking forward.

But the record business had changed by '75 where major artists (except for McCartney) were no longer releasing non-LP 45s. "Relay" by The Who in ('73?) was I think the last time anyone did that. The album was king, and songs were saved up, with singles used to promote them.

Anyway, putting myself back in time and seeing them at the Forum a couple of nights, I can only imagine what the impact would have been had they served up Hot Stuff on that tour.

Fair enough but I'm not among those who consider the 1975 tour to be a tour without an album to support. IORR came out late in 1974 and the tour began in the spring of 1975; I always considered the 1975 tour to be the IORR tour. It was the first time that songs from that album were played live.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 26, 2016 02:43

UCR remembers that billboard...

How the Rolling Stones’ ‘Black And Blue’ Ad Campaign Spawned a Music Industry Revolution

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 26, 2016 07:14

HonkeyTonkFlash

Fair enough but I'm not among those who consider the 1975 tour to be a tour without an album to support. IORR came out late in 1974 and the tour began in the spring of 1975; I always considered the 1975 tour to be the IORR tour. It was the first time that songs from that album were played live.

Your are right.

But I believe that if had Taylor not bailed just before the Black and Blue sessions, the Stones would have had a new album completed and released to coincide with the '75 tour.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home