Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

This Place Is Empty - Best Keith Ballad
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 23, 2005 20:37

Keith has been pursuing the crooner type ballad songs for a good 20 odd years with mixed results but i really do think he's hit the bullseye with This Place Is Empty. It goes without saying Keith isn't technically a good singer but i think he excells himself on this new song. He gives a lovely performance - really sensitive and sincere. He gives the song some lovely touches that really heighten the song's effectiveness.
I find its simplistic charm a real antidote to a lot of the slick overproduced sounds that are around today.

It's definitely Keith's best crooner type song and a future Stones classic.

Re: This Place Is Empty - Best Keith Ballad
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 23, 2005 20:44

Yes, it's a real pearl, I love it!

Posted by: doster ()
Date: August 23, 2005 20:52

I'm really taken with it too. Love the slide work. Charlie is really kicking it.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: August 23, 2005 21:00

I enjoy it as well.

When was the last time we actually had a rocker from him? I guess you could count "Can't be seen" from Steel Wheels but even then...it's been probably since "Wanna hold you" since we had a good one.

I sure wish he would do "Little T&A" on this tour!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 23, 2005 21:11

I really enjoy it. It has real honest emotion, which Losing My Touch definitely didn't.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: August 23, 2005 21:23

It sure beats Infamy, why did he ever choose to pick that one live? Come on boys some more Mother Little Helper and Sway and some suprises tonite!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 23, 2005 22:23

I come to a completely different conclusion: I think it's one of his weaker ballads. I think it reaches for something like We Had it All, but it never gets there, musically. I think LMT is far better, frankly.

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:04

it's the best song of the new album i heard so far

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:05

I think TPIE is a fantastic ballad. The intro sounds like a seventies outtake and the lyrics are really heartfelt IMO. It's not overdone, it ain't slick, it's just everything I expect from Keith. BTW, listen how Charlie enters the song. It's incredible.

You should also check out Love Hurts from the Gram Parsons tribute (the duet with Norah Jones). Truly beautiful... i've listened to it at least 50 times in the last couple of days!

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:40

A great Keith tune- I like alot. Agree with Doster, Charlie is really driving this bitch, much like his drums do on most of what I heard on the new album.

T&A- your opinion is respectfully noted as usual smiling smiley!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:56

I love this track too, out of the tracks Ive heard; RJ,SOL,ONNYA,RFD I like this song the best. Less than 2 weeks for the new album everyone!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:07

Thanks Keith for such a cool, easy strolling ballad much like your fine fine self.

Often found unconciously tape-looping in my skull...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 24, 2005 13:30

>> it goes without saying Keith isn't technically a good singer <<

okay, against my better judgement i am going to go ahead and take exception to this, just because it is a constant puzzlement to me that so many people - including many who seem to dig Keith a lot - repeat this kind of thing. if you mean "Keith doesn't have the lungpower that Mick has": true enough - and there's a lot more to great singing than lungpower. if you mean "Keith does unexpected things with his singing, things that are harder for some people to 'get' than is typical for these genres of music": absolutely. what Keith does with his voice is "technically" excellent - why else do you think he's so effective? and he keeps getting better.
the sweetvoiced guitarist we hear on the 60s and 70s stuff is very fetching indeed, but "technically" Keith started making great leaps forward as a lead vocalist in the 80s. he found his "sweet spot", he unleashed all that texture and *feeling* that seems to bowl people over so much that they don't even notice how melodic he is. his LV turns are almost always real challenging melodically; and he makes it sound as natural as breathing and totally inimitable at the same time. that is no accident; that is *brilliant*.
listen to This Place.
listen to Careless Ethiopians on True Love.
listen to Love Hurts from Sin City.
forget the gormless journalists' one-dimensional comments and *listen* to what Keith is doing with his voice. and if all else fails, think logically: it's not some kind of fluke that he's one of the two lead vocalists in the greatest band in the history of everything. that cat can *sing*.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 24, 2005 13:38

It was about time somebody said it! Thanks with ssssoul!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:02

Well said, with ssssoul!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:06

Edward Twining Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It goes without saying Keith
> isn't technically a good singer

good singing is more to do with feeling than how many top A's you can hit. In that respect, Keith is a 'good' singer, as is Bob Dylan

It also depends on the style you're singing in. Pavarotti might be an incredible singer with a great vocal range, but I doubt he'd be able to do much with Jumpin Jack Flash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home