Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gered Mankowitz photos
Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: March 27, 2016 19:21

Sorry if this has been posted before.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Gered Mankowitz photos
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 27, 2016 19:57

Thanks my fellow Scot cooheid smiling smiley (great name btw - whit a stoater! ) I missed the article but certainly recognise a few (but not all) of the photies winking smiley. All eyes have been on Cuba in the last few days so don't think anyone else has picked this up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-28 19:56 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 28, 2016 19:54

cooheid
Sorry if this has been posted before.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Nice find! Thanks

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 28, 2016 20:08

Thanks indeed - I love Gered Mankowitz's photos and there are a couple there I've never seen before.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 30, 2016 13:43

Off the Hook: The Rolling Stones by Gered Mankowitz shows what life was really like on tour in the Sixties
The photographs give a behind-the-scenes glimpse of life with the band, who were then at the height of their early fame

A new exhibition at Mayfair’s Snap Galleries is offering a glimpse at what life was like with the Rolling Stones during their heyday.

Off the Hook: The Rolling Stones by Gered Mankowitz, opening Friday April 1, shows the intimate access the now-famous photographer had with the band between 1965 – 1967. The Stones were at the height of their early fame, having scored their first UK number one in 1965 with The Last Time, which they followed up international smash hit, Satisfaction.

Highlights of the exhibition include the album covers of studio albums Out of Our Heads and Between The Buttons, and a reimagining of the 1965 passport pictures Mankowitz took of original members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts and Brian Jones. Jones was later fired in 1969, and soon after died in his swimming pool. Wyman retired in 1993.

There are also rare, unseen shots from the band’s 1965 North American tour. Explaining his privileged access to the band, Mankowitz said: “There was just the five of them, me and the roadie, there was nobody else. We were just a group of young men... there was no entourage, no security, no press, no publicist, no stylist, no make-up, no road crew, no lights no set: nothing.

“I was so lucky that [the band's then manager] Andrew Loog Oldham decided to give me the chance to work with the Stones. My association with the band consolidated my career and I will be forever grateful.”

More shots from Mankowitz’s years with the band have been collected for new book Backstage: The Rolling Stones by Gered Mankowitz. Snaps include the band hanging out and sharing toffee apples with American blues pioneer Bo Diddley, Jagger trying on giant tracksuits, and poker games with Patti LaBelle and The Bluebelles.

Off the Hook: The Rolling Stones by Gered Mankowitz will run from April 1 until May 28 at Snap Galleries, 12 Piccadilly Arcade, London SW1 (020-7493 1152, snapgalleries.com)

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 30, 2016 14:59

Nice. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 30, 2016 17:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-30 18:59 by MingSubu.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 30, 2016 19:02

A couple of pics by Mankowitz.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 30, 2016 19:04

MingSubu
A couple of pics by Mankowitz.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing. thumbs up

Date: March 31, 2016 22:15

Here's an interview with Gered Mankowitz: [www.blouinartinfo.com]

Date: August 16, 2017 17:30

Christian Furr and Gered Mankowitz discuss their collaborative Art collection '45RPM' Interview by Rachel Mantock for the Resident magazine at 45 Park Lane.
View works online at [furrmankowitz.com]

Artists Furr & Mankowitz talk about their new ‘45RPM’ limited Art collection

Date: October 9, 2017 18:56

Rock stars through the lens

David Montgomery and Gered Mankowitz share the stories behind their famous photographs of Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones and other rock ‘n’ roll stars

Gered Mankowitz
The Rolling Stones, Caged

‘This shot was taken in early 1965 during my first session with the band just outside my studio in Mason’s Yard, which was behind Piccadilly Circus. The previous week a well-known and popular newspaper had labelled the band as being no better than wild animals who should be caged, because they had urinated on a garage forecourt where the owner had refused to let them use the toilets – all very rock and roll! This was our response which was widely used by the band at the time and has always been one of my favourites.’

David Montgomery
The Rolling Stones, Chelsea, 1970s

‘I shot the Sticky Fingers album promotion one late evening during the week at my Chelsea studio. The shooting was scheduled for 7pm. Needless to say, Keith showed up at 10pm and Mick breezed in at about 10.30pm. Mick had real charisma, which shows right down to the fact that he’s holding the Andy Warhol album cover upside down. We shot in the studio for a bit then I took them to the end of Edith Grove to my local chip shop. We took some pictures in their and had fish and chips.’

[life.spectator.co.uk]

The Backstage Sessions - Gered Mankowitz

The Backstage Sessions - David Montgomery

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 9, 2017 19:08

thanks

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2017 23:22

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Always loved those Edith Grove fish n chip shots .....

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2129
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home