Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Sparks playing New York
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 15, 2017 23:05

The band, Sparks, are playing New York City. Smallerish band. I feel like people know about them but from so many different ways its hard to pinpoint exactly where from. I have loved them for decades and this'll be my first time actually being able to see them. Let me rephrase, I am a fan of their album Kimono My House which I think is one of the greatest albums of all times. They have other good stuff, but that album stands head and shoulders above the rest. I highly suggest seeking it out if you've never heard it.

I'm hoping, and failing, to get them to play the album in full at one of these shows. They've done it in the past but never in New York and I can't imagine anyone would be upset by it. I have reached out to them on Twitter, they have responded with a simple "nope." But liked a tweet I made about it a different time so its odd. I made a petition. Maybe nothing gets done, but who knows what can happen if you ask for things. I only have so many chances anyway:

[www.change.org]

Anyone else a fan of this band? Or that album? This would be a dream come true to see this album, if anyone feels like signing. Up to you. We all have our obsessions and in no way do I want this in place of new material they'll be touring. But if I have one shot most likely to see them, I'd die to hear this album.

Re: OT: Sparks playing New York
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 15, 2017 23:22

RollingFreak
The band, Sparks, are playing New York City. Smallerish band. I feel like people know about them but from so many different ways its hard to pinpoint exactly where from. I have loved them for decades and this'll be my first time actually being able to see them. Let me rephrase, I am a fan of their album Kimono My House which I think is one of the greatest albums of all times. They have other good stuff, but that album stands head and shoulders above the rest. I highly suggest seeking it out if you've never heard it.

I'm hoping, and failing, to get them to play the album in full at one of these shows. They've done it in the past but never in New York and I can't imagine anyone would be upset by it. I have reached out to them on Twitter, they have responded with a simple "nope." But liked a tweet I made about it a different time so its odd. I made a petition. Maybe nothing gets done, but who knows what can happen if you ask for things. I only have so many chances anyway:

[www.change.org]

Anyone else a fan of this band? Or that album? This would be a dream come true to see this album, if anyone feels like signing. Up to you. We all have our obsessions and in no way do I want this in place of new material they'll be touring. But if I have one shot most likely to see them, I'd die to hear this album.

I'd go see 'em in a second if they played Lil' Beethoven in its entirety. Such a great record from the early 00's ... "Suburban Homeboy" may be the quintessential Sparks tune:

I am a suburban homeboy with a suburban 'ho right by my side
I am a suburban homeboy and I say yo dog to my pool cleaning guy
I hope I'm baggy enough for them
I play my Shaggy enough for them
I'll pop a cap up some fool at the Gap
'Cause I'm a suburban homeboy

I am a suburban homeboy with a suburban ho right by my side
I am a suburban homeboy and I say yo' dog to my detailing guy
I bought me cornrows on Amazon
I started listening to Farrakhan
My caddy and me he looks just like Jay-Z
And I'm a suburban homeboy

I am a suburban homeboy with a suburban ho right by my side
She's known as Miss Missy Tannenbaum and she's one freak bitch, ain't no lie
She's from the projects in St. Tropez
She looks like Iverson in a way
She yo yo's me and I yo yo her back
And I'm a suburban homeboy

Date: August 15, 2017 23:30

I say as much in my petition! Its an awesome album! I just feel its too divisive and specific. Kimono is their seminal and breakthrough record and it would be like asking Bruce to play Born To Run if he were a much smaller artist. Its not like anyone would be upset. And they play so little here that I think its fair many have probably never heard most of the album. But Lil Beethoven is an excellent album, and one of the very few of their other albums I do know very well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:00

I don't know their albums only their hits from the beginning '74 '76 they released some great singles with a enjoyable sound........I just went through their Kimono album and it sounds great from start to finish.....I even recognized the album cover from the record shop I guess ;o)

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: August 16, 2017 00:43

Sparks are a great live band.
I saw them in the 1970s at Hammersmith Odeon when they had their big hits.
Have seen them many times since.
They play Shepherds Bush Empire in Sept 2017.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 16, 2017 04:30

The funny looking keyplayer is even more static than Bill Wyman!
Rockandroll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Date: August 16, 2017 04:52

rollmops
The funny looking keyplayer is even more static than Bill Wyman!
Rockandroll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

I'd say with passing time, he has become the more normal looking one. The singer looks positively bizarre now. Saw them with the guy from Franz Ferdinand.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 16, 2017 13:26

Not a fan but I know what its like to be a fan.

I signed your petition.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2017 18:18

Sparks already did a show where they performed the entire "Kimono My House."

In 2008, they put on a series of concerts where they performed ALL their albums

[allsparks.com]

I've seen Sparks live many times since '75. While I love their third and fourth albums (Kimono and Propaganda) I think the fifth one (Indiscreet, produced by Tony Visconti) is one of the most brilliant albums of all time.

They have produced so much great music over the years, and while there have been ups and downs, they have really been back on track since Lil' Beethoven.

A memorable show for me is when they performed The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman at the John Anson Ford Theater in 2011. The Mael brothers should be writing for Broadway musicals. Their clever songs are under-appreciated by the rock music audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 22:46 by loog droog.

Date: August 16, 2017 20:04

Valeswood
Not a fan but I know what its like to be a fan.

I signed your petition.

Thank you. You're the first one. The other two were me lol. Its sad to see others can't just sign something, but I get it. At least you get what its like being a fan. I'm fine if it doesn't happen, but we all have dreams. This is one of mine and here's the shot. They're like 70, its not coming again.

And yes loog droog, they've performed it a few times. Once when they did all their albums, once for Morrisey at his special request. Both of those were in London. Then they did it two or three times in LA for its 40th anniversary with an orchestra. Listen, if I knew about that, or any of them, I would have been there. But they are rather small in America. I messed up. But they're playing two nights in NY. Play it ONE of those. I still want new material and their current show. I'm not asking for nostalgia. Its just there are so many chances for it and time is running out. I'm sure many New York area fans are like me and have missed it in the past or didn't know about it. The only reason I'm asking is because they get its significance and have done it before. I'm not Morrisey but I am a fan. If they don't, I'll live. I love many of their other albums and WANT to hear the other material. But this trumps most of it and would be a dream. I agree they are horribly under appreciated, but thats why I'm asking. Cause its so unlikely I'll get this chance again in America. I'll travel if I hear about them doing it again. I agree everything since Lil Beethoven has been a second or third or fourth life for them.

I wish more would sign the petition so it could show people want it but I'm fine making all the noise myself. The worst that happens is they don't do it but I gave it my all. No one else is gonna put up a fight like this for Sparks, so I'll champion it.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: August 17, 2017 01:13

I just signed the petition. I won't get to see these shows but I saw them play Kimono My House at UCLA Royce Hall with a full band. It was outstanding and I hope you and other fans get the same opportunity.

Date: August 17, 2017 11:48

likecats
I just signed the petition. I won't get to see these shows but I saw them play Kimono My House at UCLA Royce Hall with a full band. It was outstanding and I hope you and other fans get the same opportunity.

Thanks man! Genuinely really appreciate it. Since you've seen it, I guess you understand. Thanks again, means a lot. Had I known about your show I would have flown out for it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2017 00:55

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2017 01:16

ROCKMAN

Date: October 4, 2017 02:57

Doing a signing on Monday, then shows Tuesday and Wednesday! I unfortunately don't think they'll take my request of full Kimono My House but I do plan to go Monday and ask. Hopefully they don't punch me in the face. Its almost so disappointing their new album is very good cause there's even less reason to play Kimono now. But I still contend they barely play America and usually when they do its just California where they're from and its insanely out of place to ask for this for New York. I am just happy with how much press they are doing though.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 4, 2017 04:02

At one time they tried to recruit Brian May from Queen.

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 12:01

One of my relations asked me to go and see sparks last week, i declined his offer, due to seeing the stones in Amsterdam and thinking it was an extra cost i could do with out.

After reading this, i am regretting not going now and my relation said it was a really good concert and a very enjoyable night out.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 4, 2017 12:47

They have hit a rich seam of songwriting recently. Theiir latest album Hippopotamus is excellent - up their with their greatest work. I saw them at Rough Trade East in London a month ago and they put on a fine performance before coming out to sign albums.

I was a fan back in the day and saw them in 74 when they first became popular in the UK. I then lost touch with their music until a mate lent me their album Lil Beethoven, released in 2002. Probably their best album - I'd go as far as calling it a masterpiece. Don't miss them.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: October 4, 2017 14:52

Saw them in Manchester last month. Absolutely brilliant live, great show and a great band with them too - don't hesitate if you get the opportunity.
The new album is excellent too.
Always liked them but first time watching them - so glad I did!!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 4, 2017 18:54

They have 3 nights booked this month in LA...great venue too.

I spun a few tracks last night, checked the live performances too...I was excited to try something new (to me), but I just do not get them. I can hear the influence on erasure/smiths/etc., but I like those bands better.

Date: October 6, 2017 23:19

sdstonesguy
They have 3 nights booked this month in LA...great venue too.

I spun a few tracks last night, checked the live performances too...I was excited to try something new (to me), but I just do not get them. I can hear the influence on erasure/smiths/etc., but I like those bands better.

They 100% aren't for everybody. I'd argue they aren't even for me. I'm a very big fan of that one album of theirs Kimono My House. I think its great 70s rock. Great witty funny lyrics, great guitar, great melodies. Its a monster of a record that never got its due so I hold it dear. The rest? There's some good stuff but a lot of crap. Most of it I put up with because of that one record and because I've known them so long I just feel obligated to follow. But I'm no hardcore. Their new album really does nothing for me besides a few tracks, hence why I'm really pushing for Kimono. But I get why their fans like it. Lil Beethoven I hated but cracked up at when it came out now I have very fond feelings towards it and think its great. But again, in the vein of I don't know much else and it works for that length, then gets grating.

I'll be thrilled with my setlist no matter what but full Kimono is still the goal. At this point I'm just going to support that they've been around so long which is amazing given their ridiculous career. Had no idea they ever tried to recruit Brian May. I can see it, but definitely would have been odd for him and them knowing his career now!

Date: October 9, 2017 20:05

Time to ask them in person about Kimono My House in 6 hours!! Just thrilled to be meeting them either way, but hoping for a miracle!

Date: October 10, 2017 19:51

Tonights finally the night! Was an honor to meet them last night and get their new album signed. For a band that doesn't have that much traction in America, I do genuinely appreciate the time they've taken to promote, play shows, do signings. Its all stuff they really don't HAVE to do but its great they do. With or without Kimono My House tonight it should be an excellent show and I'm super excited to finally be seeing them with a band. Hope it doesn't disappoint and I'll keep one glimmer of hope up that they answer my prayers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home