Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dirty Work revisited
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 24, 2016 19:52

Here's an interesting bit about everyone's favorite - lol - album.....
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: Dirty Work revisited
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2016 20:31

Even though his motives were completely self serving, I'm thrilled Mick didn't tour behind Dirty Work as I agree with his assertion that it would have been the end of the band.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 24, 2016 20:32

Thanks, nicer article.

I know I am in the minority but have always really like Dirty Work. Kind of in the middle to middle upper part of the catalog. Its an good listen, not a classic.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 24, 2016 20:35

Well, it's true. I'm surprised Jagger never mentioned how lousy of a follow-up it was after the even worse Undercover album. (Maybe Jagger himself had more invested in that turkey). One can imagine Wyman thinking, "Okay, one more big pay day, and I'm out of that zoo. Would you like fries with that?"

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 24, 2016 20:43

timmyj3
Thanks, nicer article.

I know I am in the minority but have always really like Dirty Work. Kind of in the middle to middle upper part of the catalog. Its an good listen, not a classic.

Actually, I also liked it when it first came out...but I was a rabid 26 year old fanatic who would've been thrilled with anything at that point. I still like it more than most people here seem to but to my more mature ears I can see why it's not that highly esteemed.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 24, 2016 21:58

I wish it was remastered and the horrible 80s production style was stripped away. Bet it would sound much more appealing

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 24, 2016 22:07

Always liked the album.

Date: March 24, 2016 22:10

HonkeyTonkFlash
timmyj3
Thanks, nicer article.

Actually, I also liked it when it first came out...but I was a rabid 26 year old fanatic who would've been thrilled with anything at that point. I still like it more than most people here seem to but to my more mature ears I can see why it's not that highly esteemed.

I was a rabid 21 year old, and tried desperately to like it.

I turned to the Smiths for solace in the absence of quality RS output.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: March 25, 2016 00:24

I loved Dirty Work when it was first released, I still love it now. Wonderful album. Tough and aggressive rockers, great covers. And that's just the first side. Then you have a great electro-funk number, stripped-down Rock & Roll and a Keith ballad. Every track is great. What's there not to like? Never understood the hate the album attracts. Then again, the Ron Wood era (with Wyman still in the band) is my favorite era of the band (along with the Brian Jones era) and I never had much time for the Mick Taylor "golden years" (except for the 1969 tour). I prefer the rough, dirty, punkish side of the band and Dirty Work is perhaps the best example of that style.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 25, 2016 00:47

Not a good album if we hear it with today's ears but back then it was a real miracle, they sound so raw, so dangerous, so angry... the 90% of the albums released back then (85,86) were hair metal/keyboards sounding albums, Dirty Work is a great guitar driving album, sadly the songs were not good by Stones standards.
One Hit is a treasure there, the song is so good than the rest of the album seems like a deception.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2016 01:44

georgelicks
Not a good album if we hear it with today's ears but back then it was a real miracle, they sound so raw, so dangerous, so angry... the 90% of the albums released back then (85,86) were hair metal/keyboards sounding albums, Dirty Work is a great guitar driving album, sadly the songs were not good by Stones standards.
One Hit is a treasure there, the song is so good than the rest of the album seems like a deception.

Really? Harlem Shuffle is maybe their last great single, and Bill carries the damn thing. One Hit is great, but most of the rest sounds like it wasn't even put together that great, like you can hears the seams.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 25, 2016 02:28

Good album-- Keith did a really good job under the circumstances

Date: March 25, 2016 07:22

bob r
Good album-- Keith did a really good job under the circumstances

what circumstances...you mean writing with Chuck and Woody?

yeah, that'd have been brutal.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 25, 2016 17:50

georgelicks

thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 25, 2016 21:50

dirtywork is a poor album. not 1 you would use to turn people onto the stones.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 25, 2016 22:26

MrEcho
I loved Dirty Work when it was first released, I still love it now. Wonderful album. Tough and aggressive rockers, great covers. And that's just the first side. Then you have a great electro-funk number, stripped-down Rock & Roll and a Keith ballad. Every track is great. What's there not to like? Never understood the hate the album attracts. Then again, the Ron Wood era (with Wyman still in the band) is my favorite era of the band (along with the Brian Jones era) and I never had much time for the Mick Taylor "golden years" (except for the 1969 tour). I prefer the rough, dirty, punkish side of the band and Dirty Work is perhaps the best example of that style.

smileys with beer
thumbs upthumbs up
Fully agree.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:24

I always see it as a good album..not their best but...! I can't understand why fans don't like it...

Date: March 25, 2016 23:28

buttons67
dirtywork is a poor album. not 1 you would use to turn people onto the stones.

Actually, lots of my friends (who don't like the Stones) really like DW.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:31

Worst album ever,Just shit

Date: March 25, 2016 23:40

jp.M
I always see it as a good album..not their best but...! I can't understand why fans don't like it...

you should try listening to it. seeing it just doesn't do it justice.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:51

treaclefingers
jp.M

I am listening to it since 1986....!!

Date: March 25, 2016 23:54

jp.M
treaclefingers
jp.M

I am listening to it since 1986....!!

oh dear.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:00

treaclefingers
jp.M

Yes good quote TF. Listening to it now, most people judge Stones albums based on past output. I listen and say if that was a bands debut album how would it fare, On listening not seeing!!!] I would say that this is one awesome angry well produced band.A possitive ace that rocks like a bitch. Not a big fan of Back To Zero,or Winning Ugly, drop these two tracks, bring in a couple of outtakes we then have a great Album under the circumstances.Just my thoughts.

Date: March 26, 2016 00:25

Tonstone
treaclefingers
jp.M

Yes good quote TF. Listening to it now, most people judge Stones albums based on past output. I listen and say if that was a bands debut album how would it fare, On listening not seeing!!!] I would say that this is one awesome angry well produced band.A possitive ace that rocks like a bitch. Not a big fan of Back To Zero,or Winning Ugly, drop these two tracks, bring in a couple of outtakes we then have a great Album under the circumstances.Just my thoughts.

i would agree with you that it sounds angry...mick sounds angry that he's being made to sing keith/woody/chuck songs.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:28

treaclefingers
Tonstone
treaclefingers
jp.M

i would agree with you that it sounds angry...mick sounds angry that he's being made to sing keith/woody/chuck songs.

Yes and that brings out an edge... Just listened to the Album all the way through a great listen.

Date: March 26, 2016 00:42

Tonstone
treaclefingers
Tonstone
treaclefingers
jp.M

Yes and that brings out an edge... Just listened to the Album all the way through a great listen.

yes, that edge goes all the way through...makes me angry just thinking about it.

Date: March 26, 2016 00:54

No it's not a good Stones album; but I think it's Jagger who made the difference. First off he didn't bring any songs of his own, and then he didn't seem to really try to add his own magic to the riff songs that the boys had come up with.

Re not touring, only Jagger knows the real story on that one. He says the band was in no shape to tour, and I believe him.
It would have been so great to see them transform those songs into powerhouses on the road though.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 26, 2016 01:34

Revisiting DIRTY WORK...

This could have been a better vinyl LP album in 1986 with only 9 tracks:

Side A:
1. The (hidden) Piano Instrumental snipped by STU (Worried Life Blues).
2. ONE HIT (to the body) - 12" inch version
3. HARLEM SHUFFLE
4. WINNING UGLY
5. DIRTY WORK

Side B:
6. STRICTLY MEMPHIS (ext. version with B. Womack adlibs, known from bootleg)
7. FIGHT
8. HAD IT WITH YOU
9. SLEEP TONIGHT (long version)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2016 23:52

The only way to improve the worst album The Rolling Stones ever (and one of if not the worst of all bad albums released in the history of rock) released would be to delete it from their catalog entirely.

Since that won't happen except for your own library, the only way anything from that pathetic ear destroying piece of garbage is as an EP:

Harlem Shuffle
Had It With You
Too Rude
Sleep Tonight

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 28, 2016 00:23

Dirty Work is like a dose of Ecoli...you got it through some expectation of enjoyment, once you have it it is a truly miserable experience and one that you would do anything to avoid revisiting.

A recording of feeble songs bar maybe one or two, a production which is akin to the sound of someone scraping their nails down a blackboard, even the cover is vile. This is almost the worst Stones recording saved from that postion by the equally inept A Bigger Bang.

For those of you who enjoy it, then carry on enjoying it, but I haven't revisited it since about a week after I bought it and that's the way it will stay....Anyone want to buy a barely played vinyl copy?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home