Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Any rumors of what's next for 2016?
Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: March 25, 2016 20:46

Olly
Rollin92
It would be a bitter pill to swallow if the next shows aren't in the UK

The Stones have certainly played very few shows outside of London in the UK in recent decades.

If you look at the statistics regarding shows in England specifically, outside of London, the figures are remarkable. In the last quarter century, the Stones have played more than twice the number of concerts in the American city of Boston than they have in the whole of England with the exception of the capital city:

Shows performed in England in the last 25 years (excluding London and festival appearances). Population of England excluding London = 44.5 million

4:

Sheffield - 09/07/95
Sheffield - 06/06/99
Manchester - 05/09/03
Sheffield - 27/08/06

Shows performed in Boston, USA in the last 25 years. Population of Boston = 656,000

9:

22/03/99
23/03/99
03/09/02
21/08/05
23/08/05
13/01/06
15/01/06
12/06/13
14/06/13 PLUS three more shows for a total of 12

I understand that any band will perform where they can sell tickets, but surely the Stones could sell out concerts in the following English cities:

Newcastle
Leeds
Manchester
Birmingham
Bristol

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 25, 2016 20:52

ChrisG
PLUS three more shows for a total of 12

Which three have I missed?

Olly.

Date: March 25, 2016 21:48

Nate
When it comes to cities in the UK then London is in a league of its own no other city in the UK comes anywhere near London.

Nate thumbs up

Of course, in terms of population, available accommodation, travel infrastructure, wider attractions for tourists, etc.

But Leeds, for example, is the third most populous city in the UK with an urban population of over 1.7 million.

The Stones haven't played there for 34 years.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the Stones have played in Birmingham, England and the UK's second biggest city, since the 1960s.

Personally, I don't think the Stones will play another show in England outside of London, but I'm curious as to the lack of shows elsewhere in the country, as I think there would be a demand.

The only way to know for sure is if a show is announced and tickets put on sale I suppose.

Olly.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:21

I think they could sell out stadium gigs in;

Manchester, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh if we are talking UK

Park or festivals are also a possibility .........Roundhay and Knebworth for August anyone ?

sc uk

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:42

Olly
Nate
When it comes to cities in the UK then London is in a league of its own no other city in the UK comes anywhere near London.

Nate thumbs up

Of course, in terms of population, available accommodation, travel infrastructure, wider attractions for tourists, etc.

But Leeds, for example, is the third most populous city in the UK with an urban population of over 1.7 million.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the Stones have played in Birmingham, England and the UK's second biggest city, since the 1960s.

Personally, I don't think the Stones will play another show in England outside of London, but I'm curious as to the lack of shows elsewhere in the country, as I think there would be a demand.

The only way to know for sure is if a show is announced and tickets put on sale I suppose.

1973 Birmingham Odeon was the last time. They did did Stafford bingley hall a few years later.

Birmingham would sell out, no problem. Just wonder if there is somewhere big enough thou.

Date: March 25, 2016 23:58

odeon73,

Several decently sized stadiums in Birmingham, Villa Park would be the best bet:

Villa Park (42,682 seats)
St Andrews (30,000 seats)
Edgbaston Cricket Ground (25,000 seats)

Arenas:

Barclaycard Arena (15,800 seats)

Olly.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:07

buttons67
maybe they will come to scotland again. long time since they have been here.

would love to see them at hampden or murrayfield again, or maybe an indoor gig at a smaller venue.

scotland is an insignificent crappy wee cold country, just south of the artic circle for those that are interested.

Buttons Very interested, and know from the past they would love to play Edinburgh Castle at the end of The Edinburgh Festival which is always last week in August.

Also 1976 - 2016 Knebworth 21.08 1976. 40 Years watch out I think August in the UK could be a busy time : Hamilton Racecourse ??? - are you - Lucky In Love !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-26 00:10 by Tonstone.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:35

Olly
ChrisG

I came up with 16 shows in the Boston metro area in the past 25 years. Foxboro is where the Patriots play, it's close enough. 11 within the city limits. My additions in bold. The Stones clearly love to play in Boston, no doubt, Bang got 4 shows, Licks got all three venues sizes - small, medium, large....by far the smallest city to get a club/theater show.

8 arena shows
7 stadium shows
1 theater show

4/9/94
5/9/94
20/10/97
21/10/97
22/03/99
23/03/99
03/09/02
05/09/02
08/09/02
12/01/03
21/08/05
23/08/05
13/01/06
15/01/06
12/06/13
14/06/13

Mike
setlist.fm

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-26 00:51 by mnewman505.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:45

Olly
Nate

Nate thumbs up

isn't it like a 10 minute drive to london from anywhere in england? you could park your car in birmingham and just walk to the show, no?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:53

Olly
odeon73,

Several decently sized stadiums in Birmingham, Villa Park would be the best bet:

Villa Park (42,682 seats)
St Andrews (30,000 seats)
Edgbaston Cricket Ground (25,000 seats)

Arenas:

Barclaycard Arena (15,800 seats)

Would be a hard shout for me if it was villa park, either st Andrews or Edgbaston

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 00:55

treaclefingers
Olly
Nate

Nate thumbs up

isn't it like a 10 minute drive to london from anywhere in england? you could park your car in birmingham and just walk to the show, no?

I wish. The UK is a very expensive place to travel around.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 01:07

Rollin92
treaclefingers
Olly
Nate

Nate thumbs up

I wish. The UK is a very expensive place to travel around.

Not kidding Rollin92. I live near Swindon and train fares, especially involving trips into or via London are outrageous. The Stones are always going to gravitate towards London as it's the home city of all 4 band members.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 26, 2016 03:16

If they return to States has to be a venue that can attract big $$$ ..maybe Vegas or NYC.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 26, 2016 03:31

mtaylor
crawdaddy
Wembley Stadium for a few dates and a club show at Royal Albert Hall, sometime this Summer.
Big bucks for RAH I'm sure, or something like Led Zep did and good luck will get you a couple of tickets.
Will be a nice thing to happen when Exhibitionism is on in London, and I also reckon that will be extended after September 4th, unless they have commitments to take that on Tour around the world.

Only my predictions.........and hopes...............but it's possible. thumbs up
Yeah, they will close the PROMS for 2016.

I really think they will play London while the exhibit is on..... waiting to visit my relatives until that happens! The Royal Albert Hall would be nice - I used to live at 77a Albert Hall Mansions as a kid - saw my first ever concert at the Royal Albert Hall - Dusty Springfield and Freddie and the Dreamers - lol!!!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 26, 2016 06:06

Exhibitionism opens in a couple weeks. I expect it to be like the 50 launch at Somerset House in 2012. I don't expect an impromptu performance, a surprise club date, or anything else. It's an exhibit. It's a different kind of celebration. After that, as Mick said, they'll finish up the album after taking a break. We already know Universal is penciling in a 4th Quarter 2016 release date. The album will not be a huge platinum affair. It will debut well and then pass. They expect this in all likelihood. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a third Dylan cover. Specifically "Just Like a Woman." We'll see.

After that? As Charlie intimated it's solo time. Band 2 hopes to record an album in Miami. Mick already stated he would like to do another solo album. Ronnie has been slowly amassing new songs as well. Not expecting Keith to do another album so maybe a producing gig is in order. It's the slow decline. No point in imagining a new album kicking off a major tour. The ongoing variations of 50 AND COUNTING is the best we can hope for and even that might not always be an annual guarantee. Let's see if there are any remarks about future touring plans, otherwise I suspect they may have decided OLE is the end of the current iteration of anniversary tours.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 06:10

A new album. Maybe some shows. NY possibly. Vegas maybe. Stay tuned

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 26, 2016 08:22

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 15:09

Ah, I get you, the O2, which is of course in Greenwich. Keith touching the sign to advertise the show, 52 years in advance so that everyone knows winking smiley A 1-off show there to promote Exhibitionism would be good, especially now with the band ' tour-ready'.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: March 26, 2016 17:00

mnewman505
Olly
ChrisG

I came up with 16 shows in the Boston metro area in the past 25 years. Foxboro is where the Patriots play, it's close enough. 11 within the city limits. My additions in bold. The Stones clearly love to play in Boston, no doubt, Bang got 4 shows, Licks got all three venues sizes - small, medium, large....by far the smallest city to get a club/theater show.

8 arena shows
7 stadium shows
1 theater show

4/9/94
5/9/94
20/10/97
21/10/97
22/03/99
23/03/99
03/09/02
05/09/02
08/09/02
12/01/03
21/08/05
23/08/05
13/01/06
15/01/06
12/06/13
14/06/13

Mike
setlist.fm

Also 20/9/06, Gillette Stadium.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 26, 2016 17:16

I don't think they will do Europe this year....

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 26, 2016 18:04

Unlikely they would bother releasing a new album and not touring it...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 18:20

USA for sure. Including Mad Sq garden

About the future...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:25

Was the Cuban Havanna concert finally the last Rolling Stones concert (to paraphrase every Stones press conference)? In a way I think the free concert in Havanna was a very fitting end.
I hear some rumors about a new album but I guess that's only wishful thinking. What do you think? Will this tour continue on another continent? Will there be a new Rolling Stones album?

Re: About the future...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:28

Yeah there'll be an album for sure and more shows .... Keith the Faith

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:33

Glad to hear you are keeping the faith, Rockman! They say that the last thing you lose is faith. So hold on tight...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:37

I know for a fact 100% that they were in a studio in London before Christmas working on a new album and we should expect that now this tour is finished they will return to the studio sometime soon to continue working on it.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:42

Will it be new material or another live album, or a couple of songs from Mick and Keith?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:44

They should go into the studio but if there are to be any live shows this year it is only fair that they should happen in the UK first! I still think Exhibitionism in London presents a perfect excuse for a show or 2 but I'm really doubtful that there will be further shows, at least this summer.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 28, 2016 03:51

I agree that there could well be a show or two in London this summer while the exhibit is running..... fingers crossed!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2016 04:15

A new album, new stage show (now that the YCAGWYW with choir has done every continent) and a bunch of them in the UK with a major festival - preferably Knebworth..............

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home