Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: First Listen: Iggy Pop, 'Post Pop Depression'
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 19, 2016 12:38

Got the cd yesterday. As usual, the download I got awhile back was just an appetizer, the sound quality on the cd being so much better. This is a great album. Paraguay is stunning.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 19, 2016 12:49

A lot reminds me of Bowie................

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 19, 2016 13:57

Post Pop Depression is a keeper so far. Great tracks all throughout and what an exceptional band.

Made me listen again to my (old) QOTSA and Artic Monkeys albums... Particularly "Humbug"...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 19, 2016 14:45

worthwhile effort...but hard to focus on Iggy with J Homme in the band...he brings that QOTSA feel that kind of is distracting...even though i like it...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 19, 2016 15:50

I'm digging PPD! It just goes to show new musical partners can make the oldest cat in the alley sound inspired.

Date: March 19, 2016 18:25

mr edward
I'm digging PPD! It just goes to show new musical partners can make the oldest cat in the alley sound inspired.

Really looking forward to the show a week from Monday. Looks like they're playing most, if not all, of the new record. Rest of the set is from the 2 Berlin records + Repo Man. Repo Man an unusual choice but a good one. I read a review from the South by Southwest show & Iggy got inspired & dove off the stage into the crowd. He just can't help himself, God bless him.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 20, 2016 17:35

Iggy cool on BBC radio, a great storyteller and the man knows his music and it's always nice to hear some new music. I luv the new album vinyl PPD!

Date: March 30, 2016 10:36

Recovered (except for some ringing ears) from the first "official" show of the tour. It was fantastic. Go if you get a chance! To me is was a subtle tribute to Bowie. Iggy played all of the new record & most of the Berlin records. The only song outside of that was a killer version of "Repo Man". The drummer from Arctic Monkeys is the real deal & the rest of the band was more than up to the task. The crowd worshipped & Iggy basked in the glory. He seemed genuinely touched by all the love.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 15:10

I can't wait! Seeing him in Chicago and Detroit. Been heavily listening to Post Pop, The Idiot, and Lust for Life. I wish he would insert Turn Blue into the sets! And Dum Dum Boys!

Date: March 31, 2016 12:14

whitem8
I can't wait! Seeing him in Chicago and Detroit. Been heavily listening to Post Pop, The Idiot, and Lust for Life. I wish he would insert Turn Blue into the sets! And Dum Dum Boys!

I always liked "Blah Blah Blah" & it had Bowie involvement. In particular, "Winners & Losers". It's a quibble though. The set is stupendous as is. Enjoy!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 31, 2016 18:05

Very jealous of everyone here able to get to these shows.

The new album is brilliant, and these setlists look great.

Date: March 31, 2016 19:32

Yeah, Blah Blah Blah didn't do much for me. Too safe for Iggy, too straight. And Bowie's production was mired in 80s cheese (leftover cheese from Tonight). But the songs were good and the tour live songs were much better than the studio versions. More guitar oriented than cheesy synth of the album.

My first live Iggy show was at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor for the Zombie Birdhouse tour. I love that album, strange and eclectic. And I was able to meet Iggy that day at Schoolkids Records and had him sign The Idiot and Soldier. It is interesting he isn't doing any Stooges songs on this tour! I do wish he would throw a few in from New Values with this band, they would be cracking. Especially I'm Board and Billy Was a Runaway! Great stuff!

Date: March 31, 2016 19:46

whitem8

IAW you in 'Turn Blue'. But I don't think he ever did this one live since shortly after the release of LFL album. Maybe it was on the Bowie-as-keyboardist tour.

Date: April 7, 2016 20:44

Well saw Iggy in Chicago last night, and heading to Chicago to see him tonight. In one word, WOW! Amazing. His band is spot on, tight, and locked into the Berlin vibe. Only songs from Lust for Life, The Idiot, and his new one. All done with ferocious beauty and passion. Iggy can sing! The man is a foce of nature, and sang with a tone and style that I have rarely seen from him. He was astounding. If you can, GO!

Date: April 8, 2016 00:59

whitem8
Well saw Iggy in Chicago last night, and heading to Chicago to see him tonight. In one word, WOW! Amazing. His band is spot on, tight, and locked into the Berlin vibe. Only songs from Lust for Life, The Idiot, and his new one. All done with ferocious beauty and passion. Iggy can sing! The man is a foce of nature, and sang with a tone and style that I have rarely seen from him. He was astounding. If you can, GO!

+ "Repo Man" at the show I saw. Hope you got that one. It was unexpected & cool! I second the GO sentiment!smoking smiley

Date: April 8, 2016 17:30

Yup he's doing the same set list at every show so far. I saw him again in Detroit last night. Much tighter show than the Chicago show. Chicago was great but a few starting errors. But not in Detroit. The band was locked in tight! The crowd had a lot of old time Stooges fans, and I am not sure what they made of the Berlin show. But the entire audience was on their feet for the entire show! I had much better seats at this show and the sound was amazing. Thrilling! Iggy did stay on stage at the end after the band left, and gave a great thank you to Detroit. He just kept going on on and on how Detroit is No. 1 for concerts, best people in the world, etc. I started to leave and got up to the door way and a guy was telling his buddies, "he's not done! He's gonna come out again!" I leaned over and said "I saw him in Chicago last night, I think this is it." And as I turned to head for the door the house lights came on and music started playing. The end. I did also think he might come back out and do 1969 or I Wanna Be Your Dog, but nope! Great show!

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: April 8, 2016 18:12

Got the album yesterday and have listened to it again & again what feels like hundreds of times. Especially the first 3 tracks Break Into Your Heart, Gardenia and American Valhalla got me hooked. And the intro to Sunday, this drums.....fantastic.

Agree that the album surely has a Bowie / Berlin feel to it.

As I never saw Iggy live so far, I now treated myself to a ticket for the show next month in Hamburg. Location should be great, only about 3500 capacity. Roll on 8 May!

Date: April 8, 2016 18:17

WOW! That will be great to see him in Germany! You'll love it!

Date: April 8, 2016 18:28

whitem8
WOW! That will be great to see him in Germany! You'll love it!

Oh yessss, pretty sure of that. Here are some pics of the location. It was a big hall used as wholesale market for food. Luckily I still got a ticket for the standing area and as I'm rather short I will surely manage to get to the front rows. Already the thought of this gets my adrenaline level rising now.

Date: April 8, 2016 18:55

No pics in your post. But this is clearly a show dedicated to his friend Bowie and to Berlin. Mass Production is truly epic live!

Date: April 8, 2016 19:06

Try clicking on the link in the word Here ;-) Works for me.

Date: April 8, 2016 21:11

karimamilena
Try clicking on the link in the word Here ;-) Works for me.

Looks like an interesting venue. Hope the sound is good. I was in the 11th row center in Seattle. The theater was a classic old movie/vaudeville hall from the 1920s/1930s that was restored by someone who retired from Microsoft. Seats 3000. Definitely 1 of the better halls in Seattle. I think everyone who gets to see this show is lucky as there aren't many stops on the tour. The band is fantastic. All very talented musicians up to the task. The drummer from Arctic Monkeys will blow you away!

Date: April 8, 2016 21:31

Glad to read that you loved the show so much. Reassures me that my last late night ebay purchase wasn't a stupid move. Yes, I also guess there won't be to many occasions anymore to be part of an Iggy live show. And in the past I have already missed too many shows from various musicians.

Aaaah, where is the time travel machine when you need it?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 12, 2016 17:35

I saw Iggy at the Orpheum in Boston last night. Great show. LOUD (and actually the sound mix wasn't great - kind of bass heavy). But 'the last man standing' of the Bowie/Iggy/Lou trio (who'd have thunk, right?) can still bring the goods. Playing almost all of his quite good new Post Pop Depression and most of both The Idiot and Lust For Life - plus Repo Man - it really was tremendous. Both Iggy and the band sounded superb. Go see him if you can. Ears still ringing!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 13, 2016 06:31

I really want to see Iggy again, only got to see his solo tour once (he did not do solo material when he played with The Stooges) and would love to hear those songs again. Problem is, seated venue, outside, Greek in La, tickets around $300 for the good ones (face value). What happened? I saw The Stooges for $70. Iggy was $40 when I saw him. Suddenly he's a $XXX ticket in a seated venue? Good for him, I'm glad he got popular again...just not sure what changed. If having The Stooges back together did not get this level of excitement, I just do not know what did this time.

Sadly, I'm going to miss the expensive seated outdoor venue in LA. I shoulda made the Teragram...that was my error.

Date: April 13, 2016 12:27

sdstonesguy
I really want to see Iggy again, only got to see his solo tour once (he did not do solo material when he played with The Stooges) and would love to hear those songs again. Problem is, seated venue, outside, Greek in La, tickets around $300 for the good ones (face value). What happened? I saw The Stooges for $70. Iggy was $40 when I saw him. Suddenly he's a $XXX ticket in a seated venue? Good for him, I'm glad he got popular again...just not sure what changed. If having The Stooges back together did not get this level of excitement, I just do not know what did this time.

Sadly, I'm going to miss the expensive seated outdoor venue in LA. I shoulda made the Teragram...that was my error.

I paid $100 in Seattle for 11th row. The seated thing not a factor, everybody stands anyway. Having been to the Greek, I'd get a less expensive seat. You will not be disappointed! You are right, $300 too much. I guess the price of living in LA (probably NYC, too).

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 13, 2016 23:25

I almost forgot to tell you all...
I, too, saw Iggy in Detroit and it's all true.

GO.

The Fabulous Fox Theater in Detroit is almost too nice for an Iggy show.
Towards the end of the set, he dangled his legs off the edge of the stage and said "Alright mother @#$%&, I'm coming in"

Proceeded up the center aisle straight to me and we held hands.
True story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 23:32 by Kurt.

Date: April 14, 2016 04:03

Awesome Kurt! Yup that was during Fall in Love With Me. Great you got to do that! I saw you! I was sitting not far from you.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 14, 2016 16:36

whitem8
Awesome Kurt! Yup that was during Fall in Love With Me. Great you got to do that! I saw you! I was sitting not far from you.

cool smiley smileys with beer
We have good taste in music, you and me!
And everyone else here!
winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 16:38 by Kurt.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: April 14, 2016 16:48

DEmerson
I saw Iggy at the Orpheum in Boston last night. Great show. LOUD (and actually the sound mix wasn't great - kind of bass heavy). But 'the last man standing' of the Bowie/Iggy/Lou trio (who'd have thunk, right?) can still bring the goods. Playing almost all of his quite good new Post Pop Depression and most of both The Idiot and Lust For Life - plus Repo Man - it really was tremendous. Both Iggy and the band sounded superb. Go see him if you can. Ears still ringing!

I agree a great show and very loud. Iggy crowd surfed and later on went into the aisles to sing a song. Classic stuff. The new songs sound great especially Gardenia. Almost Bowie like.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home