Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ron Wood: Gimme a Some Neck
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 3, 2016 02:12

Dandy is correct. Nico Zentgraf's site is your best source for credits, in this instance.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: March 3, 2016 04:57

I know every word of the album liner - every crackle and skip on that record. The most important record for me as a teenager (along with Exile). I still have the original record I bought from Toad Hall in Rockford, Illinois. One of my private gems that I'll always keep. I used to drink to that record. I'm 11 years sober now - and at age 47 still remember how this record used to make me feel.

I have the digital version now on my iPod. I never really notice the muddy mix. Listening with a more critical ear this evening - I hear it---- but it never bothered me as my record player as a teenager was a crappy Radio Shack turntable I bought at a garage sale with my Dad. That turntable changed my life.

Sorry such a maudlin post. But Gimme Some Neck brought back a memory or two.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 3, 2016 06:56

I've Got My Own Album To Do & Now Look are Fantastic Albums...in every way.
Gimme Some Neck & 1,2,3,4...bit of a coke party...and delivering albums for a record contract with CBS that Ronnie Wood didn't remember signing...

PECMAN

Date: March 3, 2016 07:23

I love Ronnie's first five solo albums. They're the equal of the Stones at times.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 3, 2016 07:42

Rocky,

I agree with the albums...not so much with the production.

Wish Mick & Keith would have let him have more songs with the Stones.
What a great addition that would have been.

PECMAN

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 3, 2016 16:19

It is a good album but I prefer his first solo album

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 3, 2016 19:59

His vocals with Keith on the epic NOW LOOK version of "Breathe On Me" are a highlight, but his work with Bobby Womack on that album (check out "I Got A Feeling" ) is some of the best stuff he's ever done.

As far as Gimme Some Neck...why ruin Charlie Watts by engineering the drums to sound like turned over trash barrels?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-03 20:01 by loog droog.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 4, 2016 00:08

Just ordered it on CD. I listened to it, on my phone, via Tidal App, today.

Many years' back I had a Songs of Bob Dylan album, which featured various artists covering Bob. E.G you had The Everly Bros doing Abandoned Love, Rod Stewart's version of Mama You Been On My Mind, Wishbone Ash's Dusty Old Fairgrounds, Elvis Presley's Tomorrow Is Such A Long Time, etc. One of the best things on it, though, was Ronnie cutting the mustard on Seven Days.

I will, hopefully, enjoy Gimme Some Neck; it's coming with a Blind Willie Johnson tribute album, recently released on Alligator Records.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: March 4, 2016 00:36

Is there a different version of Breathe On Me than was released on his IGMOATD Loog Droog? I would be keen to hear it

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 4, 2016 00:58

woodyweaving
Is there a different version of Breathe On Me than was released on his IGMOATD Loog Droog? I would be keen to hear it

Breathe On Me was released on Now Look and then recorded again for Slide On This.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 4, 2016 01:17

loog droog
woodyweaving

Breathe On Me was released on Now Look and then recorded again for Slide On This.

A different, shorter version was issued on the b-side of "I Can Feel The Fire" in 1974.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 01:20 by Deltics.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 03:41

I am very partial to the live version of Breath on Slid on This Live. I know, Keith isn't on it, but man it is beautiful. The harmonies with Bernard is probably his finest vocal moment. And Ronnie is just singing with a craggy grade and beauty. And Ronnie's guitar is beautiful on this version.

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 04:58

Always thought it was interesting how some of Keith's best work was on Ronnie's solo albums.

His harmony vocal on Breathe On Me almost brings you to tears it's so beautiful.

Sure The One You Need is just a great piece of classic rock and roll.

He does some great playing on Gimme Some Neck.

On a different note, I remember buying the album when it first came out. I was 14 and all my classmates were into disco and the bad pop of the day. I fancied myself quite the badass for cranking this one up loud!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 4, 2016 05:19

we can only hope that Jagger / Richards lets him contribute on the new record...his solo material is as good if not better....than solo glimmers... i agree with posts above

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 4, 2016 06:45

I just had a former radio d.j. sell me her U.S. white label promo copy of Gimme Some Neck last week. It looked like it had never been played. It also had two interesting extras; a typed letter on Columbia stationery warning radio programmers about offensive content on "F.U.C Her", and a sealed LP sized jigsaw puzzle replica of the cover art.

I played the album, which I hadn't heard in years. I didn't even realize that there actually is a Dylan connection, but was hearing a lot of Dylan's "Street Legal" era sound.

Date: March 4, 2016 08:53

sodapop
I know every word of the album liner - every crackle and skip on that record. The most important record for me as a teenager (along with Exile). I still have the original record I bought from Toad Hall in Rockford, Illinois. One of my private gems that I'll always keep. I used to drink to that record. I'm 11 years sober now - and at age 47 still remember how this record used to make me feel.

I have the digital version now on my iPod. I never really notice the muddy mix. Listening with a more critical ear this evening - I hear it---- but it never bothered me as my record player as a teenager was a crappy Radio Shack turntable I bought at a garage sale with my Dad. That turntable changed my life.

Sorry such a maudlin post. But Gimme Some Neck brought back a memory or two.

More of this stuff, please! thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 4, 2016 09:47

Javadave
I just had a former radio d.j. sell me her U.S. white label promo copy of Gimme Some Neck last week. It looked like it had never been played. It also had two interesting extras; a typed letter on Columbia stationery warning radio programmers about offensive content on "F.U.C Her", and a sealed LP sized jigsaw puzzle replica of the cover art.

I played the album, which I hadn't heard in years. I didn't even realize that there actually is a Dylan connection, but was hearing a lot of Dylan's "Street Legal" era sound.

I'm looking forward to listening to it. I have Own Album, Now Look, and Feel Like Playing. I know that Ronnie was beginning a coke-induced slide, but while I purchased it, I'm just wondering about the idea of selecting Roy Thomas Baker as a producer. Queen were always ghastly, and over-produced, but then I'm in the minority, as I'm not a Queen fan.

Date: March 4, 2016 19:59

There was a band interview for EMOTIONAL RESCUE I believe (I think it was with Mary Turner for Westwood One) where the question of using outside producers again came up and Ronnie blurted out that "we tried Roy Thomas Baker, but we didn't like the sound he got" and Mick says, "Ronnie, shut up" and laughs and then says, "we don't talk about that." Given that the basic tracks were cut during the Paris sessions January - March 1978, I've always presumed Roy Thomas Baker being given Ronnie's album was a dry run to see if he would produce the Stones and given Ronnie's comment, no one was satisfied with the results so it didn't happen. When the band signed with CBS, an outside producer was a stipulation of the contract.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 4, 2016 20:51

A wonderful album!And then came along 1,2,3,4.Wow!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 4, 2016 21:01

Gimme Some Neck

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: March 5, 2016 00:19

Thank you! And yeah I'm a massive woody fan I knew it was released on Now Look but was actually recorded during the sessions for IGMOATD and got all mixed up! Thanks again guys smiling smiley

P.S I wish Woody and Keef didn't smoke, it would have saved their voices. I loved Ronnie's harmony work with Ronnie Lane and Mac in the faces.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 5, 2016 00:32

Rocky Dijon
There was a band interview for EMOTIONAL RESCUE I believe (I think it was with Mary Turner for Westwood One) where the question of using outside producers again came up and Ronnie blurted out that "we tried Roy Thomas Baker, but we didn't like the sound he got" and Mick says, "Ronnie, shut up" and laughs and then says, "we don't talk about that." Given that the basic tracks were cut during the Paris sessions January - March 1978, I've always presumed Roy Thomas Baker being given Ronnie's album was a dry run to see if he would produce the Stones and given Ronnie's comment, no one was satisfied with the results so it didn't happen. When the band signed with CBS, an outside producer was a stipulation of the contract.

Interesting. Thanks!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 5, 2016 00:39

exilestones
Gimme Some Neck

[www.iorr.org]

Great thread & pictures and all about GIMME SOME NECK!
Thank you exilestones!

Edit:

Some GIMME SOME NECK I posted on the other thread about RONNIE's SOLO-albums called My Fav Ron Wood Solo Album:

1. I FEEL LIKE PLAYING
2. GIMME SOME NECK
3. I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO
4. SLIDE ON THIS
5. NOW LOOK
6. 1234

7. NOT FOR BEGINNERS

GIMME SOME NECK was a favourite album of me age 15. Played it to dead. Just got into the Stones with SOME GIRLS in 1978 so a SOLO-album by Ron Wood with Charlie, Mick and Keith playing on it in 1979 was really cool! I loved it more than EMOTIONAL RESCUE a year later I think.

I FEEL LIKE PLAYING really surprised me. Did not expect such a great album at all by Ronnie in 2010. Only disadvantage is the of order the songs. WHY YOU WANNA GO AND... is a great song but not an opener, SWEETNESS IS MY WEAKNESS as a second song... Great SONGS all around but THING ABOUT YOU (song no. 5) is the natural opener of the bunch.... "Smell my guitar baby..."!!!

NOW LOOK was made up of leftovers from I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO and a new session with Bobby Womack. I think it is much weaker. Breathe On Me is a fantastic song and I Can't Stand The Rain a nice cover, but the rest of the songs on it are not significant.

Edit: There are some interesting BONUS-tracks from I FEEL LIKE PLAYING. Also a must have. Early versions of Tell Me Something, I Don't Think So, Why You Wanna Go And...., Spoonfull and I Gotta See. They make up a nice bonus disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-05 00:51 by RipThisBone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home