Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ron Wood: Gimme a Some Neck
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 2, 2016 11:00

Love the album, but hate the sound. I'm not a studio Engineer but would this fall under the category of being severely brickwalled?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 14:05 by Maindefender.

Re: OT: Ron a Wood Gimme a Some Neck
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 2, 2016 11:33

No.The album predates that deliberate process of artificially limiting the dynamic range .

I only have it on the original vinyl... but I think its just quite a thick muddy mix, with lots of instruments & voices competing to occupy the same frequency ranges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 11:53 by Spud.

Date: March 2, 2016 11:37

It's the worst mix (and recording?) in history.

As we heard on the New Barbarians's tour, many of the songs are very good, though.

PS: This is not OT (Ronnie, Charlie and Keith play on it) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 11:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 2, 2016 11:57

That New Barbarians tour had some real potential, a shame Keith and Ron were so wasted.

Date: March 2, 2016 11:58

erad
That New Barbarians tour had some real potential, a shame Keith and Ron were so wasted.

There are gigs when they weren't so wasted..

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 2, 2016 12:24

DandelionPowderman
erad

There are gigs when they weren't so wasted..
If you could shoot me an email to eradster@gmail.com with some links I would be ever so grateful man smiling smiley

Date: March 2, 2016 14:05

Spud
No.The album predates that deliberate process of artificially limiting the dynamic range .

I only have it on the original vinyl... but I think its just quite a thick muddy mix, with lots of instruments & voices competing to occupy the same frequency ranges.

Damn shame, any chance it can be revisited and remixed?

Re: Ron Wood: Gimme a Some Neck
Date: March 2, 2016 14:08

Re: OT: Ron Wood Gimme a Some Neck
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 2, 2016 14:15

raucous....+ a couple of great tunes....nice record.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: March 2, 2016 14:28

My favorite Ron Wood solo album by far. I love the raw live sound of the album and pound for pound has the best songs overall, than any other Wood solo album, although his first album is a close second.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 2, 2016 15:40

Great album but strange that he chose a producer most noted for working with Queen...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 2, 2016 15:50

its a fun album of Ronnie Wood humor and exuberance.

musically its interesting that Charlie is on a few tracks, along with Pops Popwell, who was a bassist for the Crusaders..

I spent a lot of time listening to it on a not great record player, during my student years. it makes for a great memory now..

...of a love that used to mean so much to me'...

Date: March 2, 2016 16:01

DandelionPowderman
Ask this guy

Probably just glad to be there…….it doesn't even match his reputation as a producer

Date: March 2, 2016 16:05

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Ask this guy

Probably just glad to be there…….it doesn't even match his reputation as a producer

The legend says that the partying (and the endurance) was beyond belief...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 2, 2016 16:07

What's with the 'a's? Did I miss something? Or are we all under the influence of the "olé" Tour, featuring "Ronnah Woodah on guitarra!!"...?
(Sorry to all who consider this lame joke in bad taste - it probably is; but at least there's no personal offence nor hurt intented.)

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 2, 2016 16:09

I love the cover and it's original inlay with lots of doodles and songlists etc. by Ronnie. It gives some information about the Some Girls sessions in Paris too. Songs like Fiji Jim,Do You Think I Really Care, Everything's Turning To Gold are mentioned on a list titled The Stack Room.

Date: March 2, 2016 16:16

A nice write up on the preparations for the Gimme Some Neck-tour in Rolling Stone Magazine here.

Date: March 2, 2016 16:19

RoughJusticeOnYa
What's with the 'a's? Did I miss something? Or are we all under the influence of the "olé" Tour, featuring "Ronnah Woodah on guitarra!!"...?
(Sorry to all who consider this lame joke in bad taste - it probably is; but at least there's no personal offence nor hurt intented.)

I didn't even get it. What do you mean? smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 2, 2016 16:27

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

...the thread title when I posted my post was: "Ron a Wood Gimme a Some Neck"...

Date: March 2, 2016 16:42

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

...the thread title when I posted my post was: "Ron a Wood Gimme a Some Neck"...

Ah! I didn't see that grinning smiley

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 2, 2016 18:01

A complete decline in recording and sound engineering...I've Got My Own...and Now Look have an amazing sound for a record done in a home studio...well recorded...well engineered.

Ron Wood goes and gets the producer of Queen and The Cars Roy Thomas Baker..and it comes out sounding like a muddy demo...The recording sessions must have been just a big coke party.

7 More Days is the highlight for me.

PECMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 2, 2016 19:07

^^^

yes 'Seven Days' is a great tune. a gift from Dylan to Ronnie..

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2016 19:58

I love almost any Ronnie solo, Not For Beginners is the only one I don't rank up w/ the rest, and possibly only because I've only listened to that one 2 or 3 times -- might have to give it a spin or two to see if I've misjudged that one.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 2, 2016 20:25

RoughJusticeOnYa
What's with the 'a's? Did I miss something?

OP is probably from Canada smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 2, 2016 21:06

Great album, one of my favs by him, albeit, yes, some strange production choices. But the songs are top notch. F.U.C Her is amazing, as is Worried No More, and of course Buried Alive. Great record.

Re: Ron Wood: Gimme Some Neck
Date: March 2, 2016 21:17

What song(s) does Mick Taylor play on? Does anyone have an exact personnel list for each song? Unfortunately the CD's credits are so small it's very hard to make out. I hope to still have this in vinyl at home…..smiling smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 2, 2016 22:01

..a perfect LP record....songs, recording, cover, inlay...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2016 22:30

whitem8
Great album, one of my favs by him, albeit, yes, some strange production choices. But the songs are top notch. F.U.C Her is amazing, as is Worried No More, and of course Buried Alive. Great record.

My favorites on this one too, along w/ Come to Realize

Date: March 2, 2016 23:22

Maindefender
What song(s) does Mick Taylor play on? Does anyone have an exact personnel list for each song? Unfortunately the CD's credits are so small it's very hard to make out. I hope to still have this in vinyl at home…..smiling smiley

I think Taylor only played on Ronnie's two first albums.

Date: March 2, 2016 23:35

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

I think Taylor only played on Ronnie's two first albums.

Hopefully I still have the vinyl to confirm personnel but Taylor listed.
[www.google.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home