Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: SHould the Stones do a Brian Jones Tribute and who would play guitar?
Date: February 29, 2016 22:48

Brian is all over BB, and even plays on LIB..

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 29, 2016 22:51

DandelionPowderman

03.07.2019 - 50 years for his death.

Date: February 29, 2016 23:15

mtaylor
DandelionPowderman

03.07.2019 - 50 years for his death.

Correct.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: February 29, 2016 23:31

JamesPhelge00
As the Stones remembered yet another Brian Jones birthday - after this 50 years stuff should they now be thinking about organizing a Brian Jones Tribute Concert? This would be a nice gesture in remembering the guy who played such a major part in getting the band off the ground

Who would you choose to play Guitar on Brian's behalf??

My personal would be Eric Clapton - Brian new him and Eric was there all those early gigs in 62 - 63 - and played similar set list with The Yardbirds. He may need to brush up on slide a bit first tho'...

Anyway, just a thought if it could happen at last. Would be a cool evening.

I wouldn't be able to go as I'm banned from going to Stones gigs YCAGWYW lol...

[www.jamesphelge.com]

but, why banned, Mr. Phelge? why, oh why?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2016 00:31

dcba
buttons67
the stones were a team and brian was part of this team, and the era he was in the band was the era that defined them.

I certainly don't agree. BJ was associated with one era of the band 63-67 defined by faithful and inspired covers of US tunes (blues or soul) then by delicate pop tunes on which BJ expressed his talent.

The era that defined the Stones starts in 68-69 and BJ had next to no involvement in it. Mick Taylor on the other hand... thumbs up

To me it is their R&B period, the most part of which constitutes their first out of four golden eras, that defines the Rolling Stones. After that, it is a development through major peaks and relative slumps, involving changing styles and impact.

Date: March 1, 2016 00:36

The Brian era is not one single era, musically. There are at least three, and they're all crucial for the band evolving.

The more I listen to the Stones, the more convinced I get of late Brian era albums being the best they ever released.

I love SF, Exile and SG, but Beggar's Banquet - what an album!

The Satanic Sessions should be the bible for Stones fans. It's THE document of their career - of a band working towards their peak as hungry musicians thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 00:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:20

DandelionPowderman
The Brian era is not one single era, musically. There are at least three, and they're all crucial for the band evolving.

The more I listen to the Stones, the more convinced I get of late Brian era albums being the best they ever released.

I love SF, Exile and SG, but Beggar's Banquet - what an album!

The Satanic Sessions should be the bible for Stones fans. It's THE document of their career - of a band working towards their peak as hungry musicians thumbs up

roughly speaking: roots, pop, and mature/experimental eras? is between the buttons filed under the second or third era?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 29, 2016 19:55

DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor plays on as many tracks on Let It Bleed as Brian Jones does.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2016 08:39

It would be impossible to do a tribute to Brian. How do you create his greatest talent, feel? Maybe Ronnie and Mick Taylor were better guitar players, at least lead wise, but neither comes near to the emotional loveliness of Brian.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:06

I second "but, why banned, Mr. Phelge? why, oh why?"

Date: March 30, 2016 11:20

djgab
I second "but, why banned, Mr. Phelge? why, oh why?"

He was backstage hugging Keith on the Voodoo Lounge tour. I wonder what happened after that. What did you do, James, gob again? winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:24

His wife is a Beatles fan ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2016 12:05

My wife is a U2 fan...things one have to live with...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 30, 2016 12:22

Well I guess you could both meet have-way and
crack open a bottle of bubbly...hold hands and sing along to Joy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2016 12:27

smiling smiley I guess so...It's don't the most important with Girls what team or band they support, really....

2 1 2 0

Date: March 30, 2016 12:30

OUCH!!.....You better start running NOW!!!!!....get outta town ...hide in a cave

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2016 18:09

I don't see it happening for all the reasons other posters mentioned.
But if someone were to put on a Brian tribute re. his time with the Stones, wouldn't guitar be the least important instrument to worry about?
Thinking about BJ with the Stones you hear marimba, sitar, mellotron, saxophone, flute, dulcimer, harmonica.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2016 21:01

Palace Revolution 2000
But if someone were to put on a Brian tribute re. his time with the Stones, wouldn't guitar be the least important instrument to worry about?
Thinking about BJ with the Stones you hear marimba, sitar, mellotron, saxophone, flute, dulcimer, harmonica.

And nobody could recreate the way he sounded playing them. It was nice to hear the Stones play She's A Rainbow, but it wasn't Nicky Hopkins. I can't think of another band where it's so important to hear the original players on the studio cuts. Maybe that's why the Stones have had so few successful covers of their songs. It's the singer.....

Date: March 31, 2016 20:07

24FPS
Palace Revolution 2000

And nobody could recreate the way he sounded playing them. It was nice to hear the Stones play She's A Rainbow, but it wasn't Nicky Hopkins. I can't think of another band where it's so important to hear the original players on the studio cuts. Maybe that's why the Stones have had so few successful covers of their songs. It's the singer.....

Absolutely. IMO this is why it is so very hard to cover Stones songs. People seem to always get it wrong. They play too fast; have distorted guitars, lots of sus4 chords in reg tuning - the Stones don't do it like that. Stones actually play most tunes pretty slowly; and very often it is the combination of parts playing against each other, or with each other, that provide the tension and thrill. Not one loud, shrill guitar.
Anyway, I got derailed. I meant to say that yes, I agree. With Stones it always had to be done the 'Stones Way'. Listening to outtakes; especiallyt w/o vocals I am often struck just how raggedy and sparse, and barely clipped together these songs are. It's a good thing.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 31, 2016 23:44

Wot he said. ^

Date: March 31, 2016 23:46

+2

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 1, 2016 11:52

Nobody should play guitar.

Somebody should jsut muck about with sitars, dulcimars, daft wind instrumnents and ethnic percussion winking smiley

Date: April 1, 2016 12:59

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS
Palace Revolution 2000

Absolutely. IMO this is why it is so very hard to cover Stones songs. People seem to always get it wrong. They play too fast; have distorted guitars, lots of sus4 chords in reg tuning - the Stones don't do it like that. Stones actually play most tunes pretty slowly; and very often it is the combination of parts playing against each other, or with each other, that provide the tension and thrill. Not one loud, shrill guitar.
Anyway, I got derailed. I meant to say that yes, I agree. With Stones it always had to be done the 'Stones Way'. Listening to outtakes; especiallyt w/o vocals I am often struck just how raggedy and sparse, and barely clipped together these songs are. It's a good thing.

Another thing that struck me, particularly in regards to Brian's contributions, is that I bet he must have added his parts either with a vocal already in place, or at the very least with him knowing what the vocal was going to do.There are many BJ parts that I find brilliant. Then I will hear an outtake w/o lead vocal, and it comes off very different. Might have lost a lot of its luster. And I realize that he very much wrote the part to harmonize and fly with the vocal. I love that kind of stuff.

BTW - a Q to Phil and Dandy: isn't there an ongoing thread where IORR members post that they may have done with their own band? A different one from the Stones project?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-01 13:04 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 1, 2016 13:33

<BTW - a Q to Phil and Dandy: isn't there an ongoing thread where IORR members post that they may have done with their own band? A different one from the Stones project?>

Yep, it's called «OT: Post Your Band»

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 1, 2016 14:40

Spud
Nobody should play guitar.

Somebody should jsut muck about with sitars, dulcimars, daft wind instrumnents and ethnic percussion winking smiley

Maybe they could ask Yoko Ono smoking smiley

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: April 1, 2016 15:19

I offered Keith the possibility to meet up in London with one of Brian's surviving builders. He knew the whole pool side story and was willing to tell Keith in person. The builder, now living outside the UK, was willing to travel all this way. A middleman texted Ron wood the invitation and we asked him to pass it on to Keith. No reply. It goes to show they just don't want to know.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 1, 2016 20:38

Why on earth after all this time would they be interested in yet another person's slant on how they remember [or mis-remenber] events.

There been so much b*llocks spouted & printed over the years and one more person's two cents worth isn't going to resolve anything.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2016 21:15

Exactly. ^

Especially when one of the @#$%& involved claims to have been 'doing it for the kids'.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home