Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SHould the Stones do a Brian Jones Tribute and who would play guitar?
Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:00

As the Stones remembered yet another Brian Jones birthday - after this 50 years stuff should they now be thinking about organizing a Brian Jones Tribute Concert? This would be a nice gesture in remembering the guy who played such a major part in getting the band off the ground

Who would you choose to play Guitar on Brian's behalf??

My personal would be Eric Clapton - Brian new him and Eric was there all those early gigs in 62 - 63 - and played similar set list with The Yardbirds. He may need to brush up on slide a bit first tho'...

Anyway, just a thought if it could happen at last. Would be a cool evening.

I wouldn't be able to go as I'm banned from going to Stones gigs YCAGWYW lol...

[www.jamesphelge.com]

Re: SHould the Stones do a Brian Jones Tribute and who would play guitar?
Date: February 29, 2016 13:09

Cool idea!

But Clapton grew so far away from Brian's style musically, didn't he – with the «guitar hero»-thing?

What about Dick Taylor?

And I think a tribute would perhaps be more accessible if one Stone arranged it (Mick, Keith or Charlie).

Lots of guests participating, honoring Brian.

Eventually, the Stones could do an encore number or two together.

I would go seeing such a show indeed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:35

What Dande wrote all sounds right to me.
How'd you get yourself banned, James? If a sssoul may ask

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:47

Every gig they play is a Brian jones tribute in my opinion

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:58

The Stones will never do that.
The past is far from their minds. Plus they are much too lazy to rehearse their early catalogue. And the Stones love to appeal to young people, hardly anyone of the young folks knows who Brian Jones was. They do not even know Charlie.

I became a Stones-fan in 1982 and even then Jones was just a figure of the group´s past without any actual relevance. Now, some 35 years later Jones doesn´t mean anything to hardly anyone. So why should the Stones play a tribute to Brian Jones, people would shake their heads, wondering "Brian WHO????".

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: February 29, 2016 14:11

"Brian WHO????"

That would be the very best reason to do a tribute,
but they won't and I don't blame them. As things are it rolls like a freight train and works fine, no sense slowing things down making people think too hard about "things".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-29 14:15 by jambay.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 29, 2016 14:29

They've already done a Brian Jones tribute, the Hyde Park concert. Trust me that's more than they'll do for Bill when he dies.

Date: February 29, 2016 14:37

Rollin92
They've already done a Brian Jones tribute, the Hyde Park concert. Trust me that's more than they'll do for Bill when he dies.

Reading poetry is not the same as a Brian Jones tribute concert, which Hyde Park wasn't.

Date: February 29, 2016 14:42

DandelionPowderman
Rollin92

Reading poetry is not the same as a Brian Jones tribute concert, which Hyde Park wasn't.

I totally agree with you but in the Stones land of Jagger/Richards that's all he's getting. Reading poetry is no true tribute to Brian but it'll still be more than Bill gets.

Date: February 29, 2016 14:43

Rollin92
DandelionPowderman
Rollin92

I totally agree with you but in the Stones land of Jagger/Richards that's all he's getting. Reading poetry is no true tribute to Brian but it'll still be more than Bill gets.

That's true smiling smiley

Date: February 29, 2016 14:49

It's very sad that it's true, but I think that despite knowing each other for over 50 years on a human level the Stones are still capable of treating each other badly sometimes and still surprising each other when they do so.

Date: February 29, 2016 14:53

Rollin92
It's very sad that it's true, but I think that despite knowing each other for over 50 years on a human level the Stones are still capable of treating each other badly sometimes and still surprising each other when they do so.

When reading Phelge's book, one gets the impression that they never wanted Bill in the band – not even in the beginning..

They openly talked about getting a new bass player.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 29, 2016 15:18

Why are you banned from Stones gigs?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 29, 2016 15:44

Turner68

Well put. thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 29, 2016 15:54

once the Stones became a hard working band, touring in the US for the first time,

imagine the resentment Keith and Mick must have felt when Brian missed several gigs, claiming illness..

then they find he was partying...

add to that all the times he took extra money from gigs, when they were struggling..

and his general mean-spirited behavior, well-documented..

its not hard to see why a tribute at this stage of their career is probably not gonna happen..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 29, 2016 16:09

They kind of did one already during the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour with the intro music. Also Terrifying was in the set list occasionally. Then there was the butterflies on the video screen and Micks jacket during Miss You at the Hyde Park gigs in 2013. They haven't forgotten him. Well, except for maybe the Dartford Plaque debate.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 29, 2016 16:13

HMS
The past is far from their minds. Plus they are much too lazy to rehearse their early catalogue. And the Stones love to appeal to young people, hardly anyone of the young folks knows who Brian Jones was. They do not even know Charlie.

I became a Stones-fan in 1982 and even then Jones was just a figure of the group´s past without any actual relevance. Now, some 35 years later Jones doesn´t mean anything to hardly anyone. So why should the Stones play a tribute to Brian Jones, people would shake their heads, wondering "Brian WHO????".

What you deserve with your attitude towards the band's history, is that the Stones went on tour with, say for instance, Lady Gaga, played whole concerts with someone like her, and released a live album from those concerts. Then you would praise the effort, telling us about how the Stones love to appeal to young people. Or wouldn't you?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 29, 2016 16:47

Turner68

+1 thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 29, 2016 17:14

DandelionPowderman
Rollin92

When reading Phelge's book, one gets the impression that they never wanted Bill in the band – not even in the beginning..

They openly talked about getting a new bass player.

Somewhere along the line they must have changed their minds, though. Seriously, if Mick and Keith had really and truly wanted to dump Bill they would have done it. What would have stopped them? And then of course they offered him his old position back for four or five very lucrative tours.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 17:37

Witness
HMS

What you deserve with your attitude towards the band's history, is that the Stones went on tour with, say for instance, Lady Gaga, played whole concerts with someone like her, and released a live album from those concerts. Then you would praise the effort, telling us about how the Stones love to appeal to young people. Or wouldn't you?

No I don´t like the Stones sharing the stage with the likes of Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift. But playing for younger folks makes the Stones happier than playing for old folks, I guess. It gives them a feeling of being still relevant to other people than fans who are followers for 3, 4 or even 5 decades. Apart from that I cannot see a reason for a Brian-Jones-tribute anyway. He´s not written a single song for the Stones, he made them nearly crash and finally got dropped or left a few seconds before being dropped. Why should they want to honor this man now? He caused a lot of trouble.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 29, 2016 17:55

Paint it Black and Satisfaction are in their setlist and a Brian Jones tribute would be great by fellow musicians I think.

Date: February 29, 2016 17:56

HMS
Witness
HMS

Apart from that I cannot see a reason for a Brian-Jones-tribute anyway. He´s not written a single song for the Stones, he made them nearly crash and finally got dropped or left a few seconds before being dropped. Why should they want to honor this man now? He caused a lot of trouble.

It might most of all be a tribute to whom they themselves once were, when he was one of them. That implies a question of original identity which Brian contributed to. Without which, they never would have had the career onwards that they have. Holding in high esteem also what they started out as.

It could, for instance, be done with a reference to the London Exhibition.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 29, 2016 18:00

JamesPhelge00
As the Stones remembered yet another Brian Jones birthday - after this 50 years stuff should they now be thinking about organizing a Brian Jones Tribute Concert?

If you are really James Phelge, of all people you will surely know that nobody tells the Stones what they should do smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 29, 2016 18:16

Why should they pay tribute to a guy they didn't like and whose departure coincided with the beginning of their golden age (69-73)?

Respect for the band founder/leader? Nah we're talking about the Stones here, not the Dave Clark Five!

Date: February 29, 2016 18:48

dcba
Why should they pay tribute to a guy they didn't like and whose departure coincided with the beginning of their golden age (69-73)?

Respect for the band founder/leader? Nah we're talking about the Stones here, not the Dave Clark Five!

To some other readers, there were more golden eras in the Stones career than one, and that third golden era, in my take of it, had even already started with the release of BEGGARS BANQUET, which can hardly be thought about without "No Expectations" and Brian's inspired contribution.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 29, 2016 19:09

the stones were a team and brian was part of this team, and the era he was in the band was the era that defined them.

they should play more songs from the jones era in my opinion, that would be the closest possible to being a tribute, maybe a mention too from jagger.

Date: February 29, 2016 19:44

Koen
JamesPhelge00
As the Stones remembered yet another Brian Jones birthday - after this 50 years stuff should they now be thinking about organizing a Brian Jones Tribute Concert?

If you are really James Phelge, of all people you will surely know that nobody tells the Stones what they should do smoking smiley

And if you read his book you would know that if anybody did that, it was him smiling smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 29, 2016 19:52

Please answer the question on everybody's lips:

MingSubu
Why are you banned from Stones gigs?

Also, when was the last time you spoke to a member of the Stones, out of interest?

Olly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 20:03

No, a Brian Jones tribute will never happen, at least not sponsored by the Stones. And no, I don't think they'll be mean when Bill dies. (Assuming he would die before the others). Charlie and Bill are still tight, according to Bill, and Mick said he has dinner with him when he's in London. Alexis Korner might have gone something like that but he's gone. Brian will only be appreciated and his contributions appreciated by hardcore fans. Most of the audience had no idea who Mick Taylor is when I saw the Stones in 2013.

Now, some day, when we are all long gone, and the Stones are not looked at in the prism of current times, Brian may well be evaluated differently. They'll never be able to erase his image, which people will still find fascinating.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 29, 2016 22:43

buttons67
the stones were a team and brian was part of this team, and the era he was in the band was the era that defined them.

I certainly don't agree. BJ was associated with one era of the band 63-67 defined by faithful and inspired covers of US tunes (blues or soul) then by delicate pop tunes on which BJ expressed his talent.

The era that defined the Stones starts in 68-69 and BJ had next to no involvement in it. Mick Taylor on the other hand... thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home