Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: We Love You (New)
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 22, 2016 19:48

Well, need a brilliant pianist on a real piano.
Seriously no diss to Chuck.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 22, 2016 19:50

2nd thought:
Please forgive me,
'She's A Rainbow'
played in Chile 2016
was
a fantastic treat.
Thank you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:41

Dandelion is actually the better song on the single, but We Love You has its own merits. Brian looks so wasted in the video that it takes away from his grand additions to the song, and among his last contribution of note.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:26

These years in the mid 60's pop and rock music developed very quickly.
We Love You followed that pattern. Wasn't what you were used to when it came out.
Great song! Still like it very much.
Would be a wet dream to hear live. One of the most exciting Stones-songs played live for several decades is 2000 Light Years From Home which worked great live. We Love You might do, too.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 23, 2016 21:25

Glad to see loved by all!

Not only an eggcellent track, but it is a huge part of Stone history, you can't read a book on the Stones without them going into the whole arrest, public support, etc. and the Stones recording this as thanks.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: February 24, 2016 04:05

Here's what I wrote about "We Love You" on an epic album-by-album thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum two years ago:

For me, "We Love You" is the best thing that the Stones released in the 1960s, and because I think their best work occurred in that decade, it's the best thing they ever recorded. To these ears, it is easily the most powerful song they ever recorded. Everything comes together: a stunning Jagger vocal, unbelievable harmonies, huge, pounding drums, swooping bass, the most sinister piano they ever committed to tape, and, to top it off, my favorite mellotron performance of all time, courtesy of Brian Jones, who sends this recording into both hell and the stratosphere. IMO, his concluding mellotron solo is the single greatest individual studio performance a Rolling Stone ever performed. In an all-too-short career filled with stunning musical contributions, this is his greatest moment.

(Forgive me when I also say that about 37 other songs...)

Hyperbole to some, but I cannot communicate clearly enough how fantastic I think this song is.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 24, 2016 12:12

Although their psychedelic period is clearly one of my least favourite periods of the Stones, even so, they made a few songs then which are still enjoyable and We Love You is one them (She's A Rainbow, Citadel, 2000 Lightyears and Child Of The Moon are other examples).

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 15:09

An all time Stones classic. The "riff" on the piano, the footsteps, the clanging door, the hypnotic melody, the trippy lyrics, the phasing production with all the sounds upfront, then "slipping" away to the background, to be replaced by other sounds that slowly appear. Just all round greatness.

Rod

Re: Track Talk: We Love You
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2016 02:09

"We Love You" to me is one of the prime contenders for being the best piece of music ever from the Stones.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:23

A Great Great song ! - which really stuck in my mind, - since I heard it for the first time, - around 1971 . . . .

Some info, - for the Hard-Core-Collectors . . . .smoking smiley

WLY is probably the studio-recording that exists in most different "versions" - Officially released :

*) - The 3.10 Radio-edit

*) - Normal Stereo version, - left to right, - 4.39

*) - Single-version, Mono,/ very narrow Stero- version running 4.20 - 4.25

*) - Stereo version, - left to right, ending with John Lennon shouting "Good Health"

*) - Single-edit, - ending "normally" - but after a few seconds silence, -
the distorted riffs from the ending of "Dandelion" appears.

*) - Unique edit from Japan-compilation - The distorted piano-riff that ended
the "Dandelion"-single - starts this edit ! - First the distorted piano-riff
then the Door-Slamming, - and then the piano-riff at it´s full ! ! !

*) - Stereo-version, - reverse, - right to left !

One of my favorites ! ! !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 00:34 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 2, 2016 13:26

I would love the band to have a crack at this one live. It's completely do-able.
Chuck on piano, Ron on Tron plus they've got the backing singers to be John and Paul.
Will they do it ?
About as likely as an ABKCO/Stones 60s Sessions box set release later this year.
Shame. I've already raved about it here. It's been one of my fave Stones tracks for over 30 years. A sarcastic middle finger to the Establishment and John and Paul make it clear whose side they're on. The video is great too.
A stone cold psychedelic classic. Combined with Dandelion it is one of their very best non-album singles taking both sides into account - perhaps only bettered by JJF/COTM.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2016 23:08

HenrikBB
A Great Great song ! - which really stuck in my mind, - since I heard it for the first time, - around 1971 . . . .

Some info, - for the Hard-Core-Collectors . . . .smoking smiley

WLY is probably the studio-recording that exists in most different "versions" - Officially released :

*) - The 3.10 Radio-edit

*) - Normal Stereo version, - left to right, - 4.39

*) - Single-version, Mono,/ very narrow Stero- version running 4.20 - 4.25

*) - Stereo version, - left to right, ending with John Lennon shouting "Good Health"

*) - Single-edit, - ending "normally" - but after a few seconds silence, -
the distorted riffs from the ending of "Dandelion" appears.

*) - Unique edit from Japan-compilation - The distorted piano-riff that ended
the "Dandelion"-single - starts this edit ! - First the distorted piano-riff
then the Door-Slamming, - and then the piano-riff at it´s full ! ! !

*) - Stereo-version, - reverse, - right to left !

One of my favorites ! ! !

That one I have to check out.....it sound like Lennon without listing..........

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 16, 2016 20:09

Jayce
Here's what I wrote about "We Love You" on an epic album-by-album thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum two years ago:

For me, "We Love You" is the best thing that the Stones released in the 1960s, and because I think their best work occurred in that decade, it's the best thing they ever recorded. To these ears, it is easily the most powerful song they ever recorded. Everything comes together: a stunning Jagger vocal, unbelievable harmonies, huge, pounding drums, swooping bass, the most sinister piano they ever committed to tape, and, to top it off, my favorite mellotron performance of all time, courtesy of Brian Jones, who sends this recording into both hell and the stratosphere. IMO, his concluding mellotron solo is the single greatest individual studio performance a Rolling Stone ever performed. In an all-too-short career filled with stunning musical contributions, this is his greatest moment.

(Forgive me when I also say that about 37 other songs...)

Hyperbole to some, but I cannot communicate clearly enough how fantastic I think this song is.

What Jayce said.

We Love You is amazing!

Date: March 16, 2016 20:13

dandelion1967
35love
Okay, couldn't remember this one, these too simple lyrics, but saw Nicky Hopkins mentioned, who I love, so looked it up this a.m.

[youtu.be]

Not my thing at this point, and besides the intro, not enough Nicky H as I hoped.
Marianne Faithful in the video was cool.

I always found so rough they hide Nicky. He is the engine of the song, and in this video Keith is shown on the piano. Same sh*t in the Angie video, with Taylor faking the greatest piano solo ever. In Rock and Roll circus is was also hidden, only to be seen when Jagger is near his Steinway grand. I can't believe people still talk of him as a session musician, he was deep in the core of the Stones during 1967-1969. Ok, not official member, but c'mon, he's not the guy playing tabla on Gomper.

Keith is shown playing a MKII mellotron in the video, as is Brian.

Chralie played tablas on Gomper. winking smiley

Date: March 16, 2016 23:31

DandelionPowderman
From timeisonourside.com:

«We Love You - well it's funny. It's last month's message for this month! I had a piece off one of the Goons LP I wanted them to use for the sound of the prison gates at the beginning... We Love You was really a case of creating the music in the studio. Although Mick and Keith had the basic idea for some time».

Bill Wyman 1967

That could mean anything. We have some words and it goes like "we looooove yoooooou!" to full on chords and melody.

Date: March 17, 2016 00:23

Witness
"We Love You" to me is one of the prime contenders for being the best piece of music ever from the Stones.

+1

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 17, 2016 00:36

One of their best-- Brian Jones is amazing on this, as is Nicky Hopkins

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 17, 2016 02:45

I saw the Knack do this on their last tour, 1981. I think Burton Averre was playing piano on it, I don't think he adapted it to guitar. They did a great version. Ended with feedback and psychedelic stuff.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: March 22, 2016 18:42

Time to repeat a few facts: Some Beatles was in Decca studios the weekend June 10th-11th where Rolling Stones was workning on We Love You. The song had been in writing since February and in recording since May.

The Beatles begin working on All you need is love June 14th.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 22, 2016 23:01

I like the piano and the sound of the closing door but that´s all I like about this song. It isnt my cup of tea, to be honest it belongs to my least favorite Stones songs.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 22, 2016 23:22

Steen G
Time to repeat a few facts: Some Beatles was in Decca studios the weekend June 10th-11th where Rolling Stones was workning on We Love You. The song had been in writing since February and in recording since May.

The Beatles begin working on All you need is love June 14th.

Do you mean Olympic Studios ?
Don't think the Fabs or the anti-Fabs set foot in Decca Studios that year as far as we know....just to repeat a fact ! Olympic was independent, not Decca owned.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 23, 2016 20:18

HMS
I like the piano and the sound of the closing door but that´s all I like about this song. It isnt my cup of tea, to be honest it belongs to my least favorite Stones songs.

Altough I accept the dislike of the song but what is wrong with the sound of the keyring?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:08

bitusa2012
An all time Stones classic. The "riff" on the piano, the footsteps, the clanging door, the hypnotic melody, the trippy lyrics, the phasing production with all the sounds upfront, then "slipping" away to the background, to be replaced by other sounds that slowly appear. Just all round greatness.

thumbs up

Date: March 29, 2016 11:10

Love the «beatlefied» Stones-tunes We Love You and Dandelion!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 19, 2017 16:13

Lennon & McCartney Add Vocal Support To Rolling Stones’ ‘We Love You’

By Paul Sexton July 19, 2017

The albeit fleeting incarceration of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards after their drug convictions of 1967 was one of the biggest stories of what became known — ironically, in their case — as the Summer of Love.

This extraordinary entry in the history of the Rolling Stones was soon illustrated by the band's own memorable single inspired by the affair, 'We Love You.' At a nighttime recording session at Olympic Studios on 19 July that year, backing vocals and percussion for the upcoming Decca release were laid down by Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

The gesture by the two Beatles was a show of solidarity for their friends and a measure of the outrage felt about Jagger and Richards' imprisonment. Even as the case was ongoing, an earlier such gesture had been made by The Who, when they recorded swiftly-convened covers of ‘The Last Time’ and ‘Under My Thumb.'

The Stones were at Olympic recording what became Their Satanic Majesties Request, their sixth British album, which followed in December. 'We Love You' wasn't on it, which gives it an even more distinct place in the events of that year. Opening to the sound of prison doors banging shut, it then featured an imposing piano riff by Nicky Hopkins, and defiant Jagger-Richards lyrics that both showed appreciation for their fans' support during the ordeal, and disdain for the establishment that, in their eyes, condoned it. To make the point even more powerfully, there was a striking promotional film directed by Peter Whitehead.

'We Love You' was released on 18 August in the UK and two weeks later in America. It spent most of September in the British top ten, with a No. 8 peak. In the US, 'Dandelion' was promoted as the A-side of the single and reached No. 14, but interest and airplay for 'We Love You' was enough to earn it a No. 50 peak of its own.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 19, 2017 17:45

We Love You/Dandelion reached nr 1 in The Netherlands - 2-9-67.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 19, 2017 19:59

24FPS
Dandelion is actually the better song on the single, but We Love You has its own merits. Brian looks so wasted in the video that it takes away from his grand additions to the song, and among his last contribution of note.

Really disgusting how they included those bits of Brian in that video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 20:01 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2017 20:12

Looking wasted was cool then.
And from time to time again . .

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 21:47

we love you is one of those great songs that bridges 2 era,s in the stones history.

its similar to jj flash imo.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2168
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home