Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rolling Stones - Ealing Club ad...
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 14, 2017 22:03

It's always been accepted that this is the advert placed by Brian and I'd always assumed that he was putting himself as the guitarist and vocalist.
But who knows? It is known that he wanted Paul Jones to sing with his band so maybe...

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Rolling Stones - [...] earliest ad (JAZZ News): puzzling...
Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: May 3, 2018 02:51

RoughJusticeOnYa
I hope nobody minds if I revive this 'old one' yet again;
but I just realized I had some (recurring) puzzling thoughts about this (alledged?) ad "that started it all " ; the one that Brian Jones (supposedly) put in Jazz News in May, 1962...
So finally, I thought I might as well put these questions of mine out in the open over here!

- supposing Brian is the 'Guitarist': who's the 'Vocalist' he's reffering to? (Or should we think he meant: "guitarist ànd vocalist", as in one & the same person? (Shouldn't it have read "requireS", then? After all: correct grammar was a big thing, in those days.) If so: was Brian planning on being the lead singer himself?

- Why would Brian be looking for a harmonica player? I thought he had mastered that instrument by then?

- the 'Tenor Sax' seems a bit out of reach, regarding what he was listening to ànd aiming for (Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy, Jimmy Reed, ...) as far as I can tell. (P.S.: what I know about Brian's early days, I mostly know from Paul Trynka's biography. And I quite possible overlooked or even forgotten stuff in it already.)

- And probably the most puzzling to me: why would he be looking for a Piano player? He already teamed up with Stu - or didn't he?

I guess all of this would make a lot more sense if it actually would've been Mick & Keith who'd put this exact ad up. But then again: they were working as 'Little Boy Blue & the Blue Boys ' by then, weren't they? Not that they didn't need decdent harmonica and/or tenor sax and drums & ... (etc.); but even so: the 'LBB & the
BB
' not being a full outfit yet in those days doesn't prevent it from being a bit more than just "Guitarist and Vocalist"... right?

Anyway: thanx in advance for your thoughts, opinions, knowledge & insights.
Sorry if all of this already has been discussed to respectable extent elsewhere (thx for directing me there, in that case...) -
and sorry also if I could 've answered all these questions myself if I'd bothered to get one or two of 'them books' out... smoking smiley
Still: would appreciate some back-&-forth feedback from you on this!

What I want to know is what was the first date this issue hit the street? Does Week ending May 2nd mean it was on the newsstand on April 26th (a Thursday) to May 2nd (a Wednesday)? I'm wondering what date people consider the birthdate of the band? People can say when Mick & Keith met Brian but I consider it starts from the ad.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 3, 2018 06:43

Note that Brian's vision of his band did not include a second guitar. I remember reading somewhere that Keith only got into the band because Mick wouldn't join without him.

Date: May 3, 2018 12:31

dave9199
RoughJusticeOnYa
I hope nobody minds if I revive this 'old one' yet again;
but I just realized I had some (recurring) puzzling thoughts about this (alledged?) ad "that started it all " ; the one that Brian Jones (supposedly) put in Jazz News in May, 1962...
So finally, I thought I might as well put these questions of mine out in the open over here!

- supposing Brian is the 'Guitarist': who's the 'Vocalist' he's reffering to? (Or should we think he meant: "guitarist ànd vocalist", as in one & the same person? (Shouldn't it have read "requireS", then? After all: correct grammar was a big thing, in those days.) If so: was Brian planning on being the lead singer himself?

- Why would Brian be looking for a harmonica player? I thought he had mastered that instrument by then?

- the 'Tenor Sax' seems a bit out of reach, regarding what he was listening to ànd aiming for (Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy, Jimmy Reed, ...) as far as I can tell. (P.S.: what I know about Brian's early days, I mostly know from Paul Trynka's biography. And I quite possible overlooked or even forgotten stuff in it already.)

- And probably the most puzzling to me: why would he be looking for a Piano player? He already teamed up with Stu - or didn't he?

I guess all of this would make a lot more sense if it actually would've been Mick & Keith who'd put this exact ad up. But then again: they were working as 'Little Boy Blue & the Blue Boys ' by then, weren't they? Not that they didn't need decdent harmonica and/or tenor sax and drums & ... (etc.); but even so: the 'LBB & the
BB
' not being a full outfit yet in those days doesn't prevent it from being a bit more than just "Guitarist and Vocalist"... right?

Anyway: thanx in advance for your thoughts, opinions, knowledge & insights.
Sorry if all of this already has been discussed to respectable extent elsewhere (thx for directing me there, in that case...) -
and sorry also if I could 've answered all these questions myself if I'd bothered to get one or two of 'them books' out... smoking smiley
Still: would appreciate some back-&-forth feedback from you on this!

What I want to know is what was the first date this issue hit the street? Does Week ending May 2nd mean it was on the newsstand on April 26th (a Thursday) to May 2nd (a Wednesday)? I'm wondering what date people consider the birthdate of the band? People can say when Mick & Keith met Brian but I consider it starts from the ad.

Jazz News was, at the time, a weekly publication that was available every Wednesday.

Mick and Keith had already met Brian at the Ealing Club on April 7th almost a month before this advert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 13:08 by Deltics.

Date: May 3, 2018 15:06

I'm confused though because I've seen it as 'Week ending May 2nd' and that was a Wednesday. Are you saying its street date was May 2nd?

Date: May 3, 2018 15:29

dave9199
I'm confused though because I've seen it as 'Week ending May 2nd' and that was a Wednesday. Are you saying its street date was May 2nd?

It was in the shops to buy every Wednesday.
This was so that it could list gig dates for that night and the coming weekend.

Submissions had to be in by the previous Friday for inclusion in that week's edition.

The "Club Diary" pages for the May 2 edition:
[archive.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk]

Larger view:
[s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 15:40 by Deltics.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 3, 2018 16:34

dave9199
I'm wondering what date people consider the birthdate of the band? People can say when Mick & Keith met Brian but I consider it starts from the ad.

...Well, straight from the horse's mouth (c.q. Keith himself): that would be when Charlie joined, wouldn't it?
Everyhting before that was just "conception "; nót "birth "...

Anyway: not to take anything away from Brian (he was captain of the ship, steering the thing right right from the very start - and, indeed, even before...): the fact that Mick & Keith teamed up musically (cfr. Little Boy Blue & the Blue Boys) well before them & Brian & Stu met (and roughly around the same time when Brian & Stu teamed up...), does make a case for possible 'Mick- & Keithsters' to claim it as (an equal) "part-of-the-start " for the band as well, I'd say.

I know "the ad " is widely considered as "the official kick-off " for the band; I see it more as just a piece of it - an 'instrumental' (pun unintended) part of the Rolling Stones' conception indeed.

As stated above: the line-up Brian is quoting makes me feel he only had a rough - if any - 'vision' about what this band would need to sound like... He wanted to play the blues, with some kindred spirits; that's about it. (And it turned out to be more than enough, I 'd add.)

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: May 3, 2018 21:28

Re an earlier post in this thread.
Paul Jones told me some years ago that Brian could already play harmonica when he met Paul in Oxford on his way to London. In fact he said Brian taught him a few things about playing the mouth harp in a blues style. I believe it may also be true that Brian taught Jagger to play ( or Jagger picked it up by watching Brian and others ).
Hope this helps...it came face to face direct from Paul Jones.

Date: May 4, 2018 00:56

Deltics
dave9199

It was in the shops to buy every Wednesday.
This was so that it could list gig dates for that night and the coming weekend.

Submissions had to be in by the previous Friday for inclusion in that week's edition.

The "Club Diary" pages for the May 2 edition:
[archive.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk]

Larger view:
[s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com]

So it looks like the street date was May 2nd. That's what I would consider the birthdate of the band because that ad provide the momentum for it. I think had the ad not happened, Brian, Mick & Keith still would've gotten together.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home