Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Zika virus disease in Latin America
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 30, 2016 14:43

There is a balance beetween ignorance and panic vs diseases and travel. I would advice anyone who travel to pay attention to the basic rules of staying healthy during travel:

5 ways to stay healthy while traveling abroad
[edition.cnn.com]

Especially:

- Be prepared
- Be aware

Before I left for two months in Latin America this month, I made a visit to our local vaccination office. I do always go there ahead of challenging travels. The vaccination office is a great public service in Norway, you just pay for the vaccination shots. They are staffed with virology doctors who do work professionally with diseases like SARS, bird flu, malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, cholera and so on. I spent more than one hour discussing risk and travel zones this time. Their main concern was the mosquito, Dengue, yellow fever certificate renewal etc. The "dengue mosquito" Aedes aegypti might also carry Zika.

I have most of the vaccination there is, not just to protect myself, but also to protect my family and people around me. If there is a vaccine, you should take it. If there is protection, like mosquito nets and spray, you should use it. Containing diseases and preventing a virus from getting pandemic is a common responsibility for everyone. You may be egoistic and survive on your own but your best friend or neighbor might die because you did not care. Also, having Dengue or Zika or Cholera or other diseases will not improve your life quality.

A lot may said about WHO, the World Health Organization, but they do a lot of very important work. They took control of SARS at a stage when it went out of control in China, they coordinate the Ebola works, they are our best scientific global unit when it comes to collecting worldwide health information and strategies. Just an example... On Jan 14 this year WHO posted on their news pages "Ebola new cases at zero in west africa". The next day Jan 15 they posted an update "New Ebola case in Sierra Leone". In short, which is a very good advice:

" ... the Organization says the job is not over, more flare-ups are expected and that strong surveillance and response systems will be critical in the months to come."

For the lates news about the Zika virus see the world press, while to get the real facts stripped from tabloid talks see the WHO news.

WHO News
[www.who.int]

The mosquito Aedes aegypti feeding on a human host

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-30 14:45 by bv.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 30, 2016 16:10

God help any mosquito that bites Keith or Ron.................

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 30, 2016 19:28

If no one mentioned it, DDT annihilated these kinds of mosquitos; and we all know the bad rap DDT has had. It's difficult to see what is the correct route to go.

This was reported by one of the big news agencies, I forget which article I read it in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-30 19:29 by BroomWagon.

Date: January 30, 2016 19:30

strat72
A storm in a teacup, and nothing new. The W.H.O are a joke!

Tell that to the poor mothers who have had children with small heads and the babies may not live long.

Posted by: BostonBob ()
Date: January 30, 2016 19:44

Hey All, I live in Singapore where the Govt is good at tracking things (yeah all things….unfortunately) We had 636 cases of Dengue Fever reported last week per the Govt website…it is also a debilitating disease can result in death etc yet we all went out to see the Stones when they came to Singapore right BV! Point I am making is there are problems with mosquitos everywhere and what you need to do if going is reduce your chances of getting the bite. Bring OFF with Deet, don't buy it local as it probably is fake, stay away from cheap run down areas with puddles, gutters, leeching fields, standing water areas, etc these are where they breed, they aren't in the city area in a reasonable hotel that has no standing water around it…

use common sense don't let the media hype ruin your mental pleasure for what will be another great tour.

Date: January 30, 2016 19:46

Brazil sent out 200,000 soldiers to combat Zika; but let's not over-exaggerate the problem it could be, the media hype. [www.telesurtv.net]

It should not be a problem and they are mainly concerned with the Olympics.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 20:00

EddieByword
God help any mosquito that bites Keith or Ron.................

Good one! My laugh of the day! thumbs up

Date: January 31, 2016 02:25

BroomWagon
If no one mentioned it, DDT annihilated these kinds of mosquitos; and we all know the bad rap DDT has had. It's difficult to see what is the correct route to go.

This was reported by one of the big news agencies, I forget which article I read it in.

My father used to work with DDT. It was all over, I remember those cans. When it was banned he just stocked up for the next decade or so. It was so efficient in gerring rid of the bugs. He was a gardener. I guess DDT is one of the reasons why he passed away ten years too early. The 50's and 60's were just wild when it comes to protecting farmers and gardeners. And the chemicals were numerous, never tested, just use them.

The DDT Story
[www.panna.org]

The correct route to go is education and education and resources. The mosquitos live in places where there is water. Zanzibar got alomost reid of malaria by banning plastic bags. One of the reasons why mosquitos are so many is because of all the plastic waste. And old car tyres. They just lay around and keep water after rain for weeks. The bugs love it. Waste with water. Mankind and the revenge of the nature.

Bjornulf

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 31, 2016 02:38

sad smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 31, 2016 02:48

bv
BroomWagon

My father used to work with DDT. It was all over, I remember those cans. When it was banned he just stocked up for the next decade or so. It was so efficient in gerring rid of the bugs. He was a gardener. I guess DDT is one of the reasons why he passed away ten years too early. The 50's and 60's were just wild when it comes to protecting farmers and gardeners. And the chemicals were numerous, never tested, just use them.

The DDT Story
[www.panna.org]

The correct route to go is education and education and resources. The mosquitos live in places where there is water. Zanzibar got alomost reid of malaria by banning plastic bags. One of the reasons why mosquitos are so many is because of all the plastic waste. And old car tyres. They just lay around and keep water after rain for weeks. The bugs love it. Waste with water. Mankind and the revenge of the nature.
This year has been terrible rainy in Brazil and other SA countries (El Ninjo problem). Hence, lots of water all over (I was three for my annual 3 weeks vacation). When the authorities have no interest in cleaning up the problem, a smaller previous issue becomes enormous. That is why this year is a disaster. And a real disaster with lots of new babies born with a damaged brain not at all resolvable.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: January 31, 2016 02:51

I cancelled my Brazil trip. There are too many unknowns which could be a risky gamble as my wife and I would like to get pregnant.

Cancelled 3 shows. See you all in Mexico and in Cuba hopefully..

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 31, 2016 08:21

Mosquitoes suck.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: buffalo 81 ()
Date: January 31, 2016 09:42

Every case here in Argentina had been infected in other countries. It's safe here.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 2, 2016 14:33

Its only risky around the humid/wet areas of sth america.
Cities like bogota, lima etc you would be fine.
Remember Brazil is enormous...and there's no doubt those humid areas of the amazonas would be a huge risk.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2016 19:39

dcba
chatoyancy
A doctor on the news said to slather yourself with DEET lotion if going to South America, and wear long sleeves and long pants.

Yeah usually mosquitos sting at night so a good mosquito tent removes most of the problems.
But the one that conveys Zika is the tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus), and it stings during the day... That's baaaad shhhhhhiiit!

Mosquitoes don't sting.

Bees, wasps, hornets, scorpions and a few other bugs sting.

Mosquitoes bite (suck). Like fleas and flies. And only female mosquitoes bite.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: February 2, 2016 20:52

1. This virus is essentially harmless. 80-90% that contract it show zero symptoms. The rest fight it off as our immune systems are designed to do.

2. There is zero link between this virus and small heads/brains in new born.

3. Small heads at birth linked to pesticides, this has been proved.

Fear not the WHO are a corrupt organization in cahoots with the pharmaceutical industry.

link these 2 pesticides are reportedly used in Brazil to this day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-02 20:58 by Markdog.

Date: February 2, 2016 21:58

If you love to play russian roulette and you are pregnant then feel free to go to any countries where there are signs of Zika. Anywhere there might be Dengue Fever there might be Zika.

Ask the mothers of those 4,000 children with brain damage if they are happy with the situation. It is a tragedy. Unless you live in South America, don't go there if you are pregnant. If fact, if you are pregnant don't travel out of your comfort zone. Any professional travel doctor say the same. A pregnancy is not something you bring into a danger zone. You want your baby to be healthy and normal.

By the way there was 3,800 children with brain damage last week, this weekl it is 4,300, and by the end of the year, I am afraid it is a tragedy, a big scary number. Please please don't be paret of it if you can avoid it.

And if you hate WHO for some political reason, please do NOT bring your political campaigns here. The World Health Organization is here to coordinate the world health. Nobody else can do that. Sure there are local miracle doctors, but health is global these days.

Bjornulf

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 03:32

Bv, thanks for your post. I have lived in Southeast Asia for 14 years, South Asia for 3 years, and South America for 2 years. You don't want to fool around with any mosquito born viruses. I have had Dengue fever twice, which is transmitted from the same mosquito that Zika is transpitted from, and also there is Chickengunya. The World Health Organization does amazing work throughout the world, and when they are worried everyone should listen. This stuff is not to be trifled with.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 3, 2016 12:50

A case of sexually transmitted zika: [www.bbc.com]
Be careful people

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 4, 2016 00:55

Florida in the US has just delcared a health crisis in several counties due to the Zika virus.

Date: February 4, 2016 03:32

whitem8
Florida in the US has just delcared a health crisis in several counties due to the Zika virus.

Someone said the government of El Salvador has told their women not to have any babies until 2018!

[gosporttimes.com]

Posted by: mrsw ()
Date: February 4, 2016 17:07

I find it a bit alarming that Sally Wood is on tour with them.Up to her but not worth the risk as mosquitos are everywhere.Just a bit worried for her.

Date: February 4, 2016 18:37

Sally is not on tour with the boys. A wise decision.

Posted by: mrsw ()
Date: February 4, 2016 20:31

Thank god for that

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 4, 2016 23:28

Saw an analogy...

Mosquitoes are like a bunch of dirty infected flying syringe needles... coming right for you.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 12, 2016 01:39

I just watched newsnight here in the U.K and they had a report about the zika virus in Columbia,it seems that the virus is getting stronger and making some people seriously sick,a doctor who was interviewed said it was a kind of zika plus virus a new stronger version of the virus.

Nate

Date: February 12, 2016 02:59

They say, if you are pregnant, or you intend to get pregnant within the next couple of years, then don't go to South America.

Also, the reccomendation is they say young girls should get the Zika virus now like with children's diseases, then they will be immune for a later virus. I assume the researchers work on a vaccine now but it takes time.

Bjornulf

Date: February 12, 2016 04:00

It might be more dangerous than that..

[www.reuters.com]

the BIG problem with zika at the moment is that they have no clue.. they 'think' this, or it is 'likely' that.. I'm a scientist and if I say things like that, I mean "I don't know really"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home