Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bluegrass Stones Music
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 22, 2016 17:16

I have difficulty sometimes classifying music, as there are so much diversity now. But I think this is classic bluegrass music. This is a wild, exuberant ride sung and played with great pace and enthusiasm. Is is called Turd on the Run. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the only true bluegrass song they ever recorded.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Bluegrass Stones Music
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 22, 2016 17:23

I would not classify TOTR as bluegrass. It is blues. Yes, it is wild and exuberant but I think at its core, it is blues. However, now that you mention, I can see how a banjo or mandolin could fit into it.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 22, 2016 18:29

Though I could easily imagine one of the many bluegrass bands here in E.TN being able to perform TOTR in bluegrass style, I wouldn't say the Stones version is a bluegrass style. Rock & Roll yes. Blues possibly. One of the main things that makes the Stones version NOT bluegrass, in my mind, is the piano. Drums are also not typically a part of traditional bluegrass but have been somewhat accepted, along with the accordion & electrified versions of traditional acoustic bluegrass instruments, in what is sometimes referred to as "Newgrass" music". Still, although I'm sure there are examples of it, I'd have to guess that you'd have a rough time finding examples of piano in bluegrass outside of church music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 22, 2016 18:46

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 22, 2016 19:17

Definitely NOT bluegrass. The closest song the Stones ever played to bluegrass was "Dear Doctor" with its Appalachian theme.

You need a fiddle and a banjo to play bluegrass.

Date: January 22, 2016 20:34

loog droog
[www.youtube.com]

That I would refer to as Bluegrass music. However it's title/theme/lyrics might make it a bit tough to get performed at a bluegrass festival.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 22, 2016 20:38

Without drums, and with acoustic guitars, TOTR could have been bluegrass. Rhythm-wise it's very close.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 22, 2016 21:15

mr_dja
Though I could easily imagine one of the many bluegrass bands here in E.TN being able to perform TOTR in bluegrass style, I wouldn't say the Stones version is a bluegrass style. Rock & Roll yes. Blues possibly. One of the main things that makes the Stones version NOT bluegrass, in my mind, is the piano. Drums are also not typically a part of traditional bluegrass but have been somewhat accepted, along with the accordion & electrified versions of traditional acoustic bluegrass instruments, in what is sometimes referred to as "Newgrass" music". Still, although I'm sure there are examples of it, I'd have to guess that you'd have a rough time finding examples of piano in bluegrass outside of church music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Just too hard to get the piano out to the campfire circles or onto the front porch for the pickup jams. winking smiley

I agree with your post. TOTR isn't a bluegrass tune, imo. It's obviously just a sped up version of a Bo Diddley style riff, although I can see how people might confuse the fast rhythm with bluegrass' It's obviously missing a vocal with the high lonesome style or bluegrass harmonies too.

I always thought The Last Time had certain elements of bluegrass in it though. smoking smiley One cool thing about a lot of great songs is they can be played in different styles and still be great. True for many Stones tunes.

Date: January 22, 2016 21:57

Naturalust
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Just too hard to get the piano out to the campfire circles or onto the front porch for the pickup jams. winking smiley

I agree with your post. TOTR isn't a bluegrass tune, imo. It's obviously just a sped up version of a Bo Diddley style riff, although I can see how people might confuse the fast rhythm with bluegrass' It's obviously missing a vocal with the high lonesome style or bluegrass harmonies too.

I always thought The Last Time had certain elements of bluegrass in it though. smoking smiley One cool thing about a lot of great songs is they can be played in different styles and still be great. True for many Stones tunes.

I just surprised myself when I ran a youtube search for a bluegrass version of "The Last Time". VERY surprised that it turned up nothing. When I saw the suggestion in your post, it made perfect sense to me. Looks like you can be the first to post one! I'm pretty sure you've got far more "acoustic" abilities than I do, how are your bluegrass chops?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2016 22:01

Check out Wild Horses on Old And In The Way. Performed by Jerry Garcia, Vassar Clements, etc.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 22, 2016 22:18

Date: January 22, 2016 22:30

Elmo Lewis
Check out Wild Horses on Old And In The Way. Performed by Jerry Garcia, Vassar Clements, etc.

[www.youtube.com]

VERY COOL! I LOVED the Grateful Dawg movie so that was cool to hear.

Also, after the thought of a youtube search for "Pickin of the Rolling Stones" I found these:

Some are fairly predictable and some are better than others. I didn't bother posting the link for You Can't Always... as it did NOTHING for me. My favorites were probably Paint it Black & Under My Thumb. Unfortunately "Sympathy" wouldn't pull up for me. I wanted to hear that one.

Apparently there are some bluegrass fans who like The Stones.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 23, 2016 00:03

mr_dja
I just surprised myself when I ran a youtube search for a bluegrass version of "The Last Time". VERY surprised that it turned up nothing. When I saw the suggestion in your post, it made perfect sense to me. Looks like you can be the first to post one! I'm pretty sure you've got far more "acoustic" abilities than I do, how are your bluegrass chops?

Peace,
Mr DJA

There was a time when played a lot of bluegrass with college buddies and I learned a shitload of standards. I do play guitar, mandolin, banjo and dobro but have mostly played rock music with those instruments for the past decade, something I have always loved. I'd say my bluegrass chops have fallen off considerably unfortunately. smoking smiley I still play Sailors Hornpipe and few others mostly as warm up exercises since that flat and cross picking style is so good for getting loose in a hurry.

Glad that you too can hear the possibilities for a bluegrass The Last Time. I can hear a banjo just tearing that one one up and perfect bluegrass harmonies too.

Sympathy woks just fine for me and is really tasty actually. Sweet banjo and mandolin for sure. Here is is hopefully you can check it out.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 23, 2016 00:21

Lovin' that version of Sympathy... Works for sure! Thanks Naturalust!

Also: I've got a buddy who is very avid traditional bluegrass player/fan/teacher who has a VERY open mind, I'm going to put in a request to him for "The Last Time" and see if he a) takes the bait or b) can point me in the direction of someone who has already worked it up. I'll keep you posted.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 23, 2016 01:11

mr_dja
Lovin' that version of Sympathy... Works for sure! Thanks Naturalust!

Also: I've got a buddy who is very avid traditional bluegrass player/fan/teacher who has a VERY open mind, I'm going to put in a request to him for "The Last Time" and see if he a) takes the bait or b) can point me in the direction of someone who has already worked it up. I'll keep you posted.

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up No worries dja, and yes I'd love to hear TLT cooked up bluegrass style. Should be a no brainer, the song practically plays itself. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home