Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dave Davies Says the Distorted Guitar Tone He Created Influenced Keith Richards
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2016 18:48

A few months ago, during various interviews Keith Richards did to promote his new solo album, Crosseyed Heart, the Rolling Stones guitarist shared some negative opinions about several well-known bands, including Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Metallica and even The Beatles. In the wake of those comments, The Kinks’ Dave Davies, whose band emerged from the same 1960s London scene as The Stones, says he’s surprised that Richards has never had much to say — good or bad — about his influential group.

Davies tells ABC Radio that he feels the distorted guitar sound he created that’s heard on The Kinks’ classic 1964 hit “You Really Got Me” must have influenced Keith’s fuzzed-out solo on The Stones’ breakout 1965 single “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

“You never heard The Stones talk about The Kinks, and never pay any kind of comment or critique or criticism or anything about ‘You Really Got Me,'” Dave maintains. “I mean, the guitar sound [on that song] was actually, like Jimi Hendrix said…a landmark guitar sound. You never hear [Richards] talk about The Kinks’ influence on their music or music per se.”

Davies adds, “My guitar tone…there was no one doing that in England. I don’t know if anybody in the world was. But [‘You Really Got Me’] had to be a good year…before ‘Satisfaction.'”

Dave says he does think “‘Satisfaction’ was a great record,” while noting that Richards plays “single lines through a fuzz box” on that track, in comparison with the power chords Davies plays on “You Really Got Me.”

Meanwhile, Davies tells ABC Radio that he agrees with Richards’ assessment of The Grateful Dead, which Keith called “boring” in an interview with Billboard.

“To be honest, I never understood The Grateful Dead,” says Dave. “I never really knew what all the fuss was about.”

The 68-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Famer had kinder words for a couple other Americans bands that date back to the 1960s.

“The Byrds were a really big influence on me, personally, and The Lovin’ Spoonful, I think, had to be one of the most underrated bands that came out of America at that time,” he tells ABC Radio. He adds that he and his brother, Kinks frontman Ray Davies, “were listening to The Lovin’ Spoonful above and beyond The Beatles.”

Dave says what was significant about The Lovin’ Spoonful was they “started off that kind of integrating lots of different elements — blues, country and folk music and a bit of rock.” He explains that he also is drawn to the music of The Band for the same reason.

As previously reported, Ray Davies made a surprise appearance last month at a solo concert by Dave in London, marking the first time since The Kinks’ last tour ended in 1996 that the Davies brothers have performed on stage together. Dave has yet to announce any tour plans for 2016.

[kwbe.com]

Re: Dave Davies Says the Distorted Guitar Tone He Created Influenced Keith Richards
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 19:21

This guy's mind is "distorted"

Re: Dave Davies Says the Distorted Guitar Tone He Created Influenced Keith Richards
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 19:37

He's right about the grateful dead though...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 19, 2016 19:52

Cristiano Radtke
“I never really knew what all the fuss was about.”

Apparently he doesn't know what the fuzz is about either. smoking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 19, 2016 20:11

Turner68

I can't claim to be a regular listener to the output from the Grateful Dead, and I don't know them in depth in any way. What I have got from them, is their first five studio albums and probably three first live albums (two doubles and one triple?).

Especially their more experimentative second and third studio albums ANTHEM OF THE SUN and AOXOAMOXOA I have really liked formerly. So generally boring they can't be.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2016 20:15

Koen
Cristiano Radtke
“I never really knew what all the fuss was about.”

Apparently he doesn't know what the fuzz is about either. smoking smiley

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 19, 2016 20:25

Dave, what about Link Wray?

Two clues : "1958" "Rumble"...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:04

Turner68

I agree

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:06

Witness
Turner68

I can't claim to be a regular listener to the output from the Grateful Dead, and I don't know them in depth in any way. What I have got from them, is their first five studio albums and probably three first live albums (two doubles and one triple?).

Especially their more experimentative second and third studio albums ANTHEM OF THE SUN and AOXOAMOXOA I have really liked formerly. So generally boring they can't be.

You are correct. The Grateful Dead, in any incarnation, are not boring. Terrible, unlistenable, with fans who actually think they were a good cover band, but never boring.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:15

Well he's right about the The Lovin’ Spoonful............as for Keith, he never talked about the influence of the British 60's music........except for the old black blues...................

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:30

Marty Robbins - Don't Worry with Grady Martin on guitar, 1960.
[www.youtube.com]

Apparently a damaged amp.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:32

I don't understand why all of these rock stars are so against The Dead. The inventiveness, creativity, and beautiful melodies/lyrics that their music has far surpasses most bands' music. Obviously I don't think they stack up against The Stones or Beatles, but I'd take The Dead over The Kinks any day.

Date: January 19, 2016 21:39

Bobbyb98
I don't understand why all of these rock stars are so against The Dead. The inventiveness, creativity, and beautiful melodies/lyrics that their music has far surpasses most bands' music. Obviously I don't think they stack up against The Stones or Beatles, but I'd take The Dead over The Kinks any day.

the dead were great up until 1973. after pigpen left and then passed something with the magic changed. there are several really good years after that, 1974, 1978, 1989, 1990, but overall it wasn't the same.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:58

Keith used a pedal fuzz effect. Pedal fuzz boxes had been around for a few years by that point, so no, it had nothing to do with Dave and his little green amp.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2016 22:03

Bobbyb98

thumbs up Most of these rock stars have probably never been to a Dead show. The Dead were a live band, more so than the Beatles or the Stones. Their best music was always played live and not in the studio like the Beatles and Stones. They were never able to capture that magic in the studio, imo. That's probably why people like Keith and Dave Davies will never understand them.

And I seriously doubt Keith was thinking about You Really Got Me when he decided to use a fuzz tone on Satisfaction. The reason the Stones don't talk about the Kinks influence on their music is because they had none.

Kudos to Dave though for his comments on Little Feat not being in the R&R Hall of Fame: (from a Brian Ives inetrview)

"Rock critics?
Rock critics are the worst people to be doing it! Are Little Feat in it?

No.
You’re kidding me! Why not?

They’re not even on the ballot.
Get out of here! How can you not have Little Feat in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? You’re kidding me! They were incredibly influential. They were like The Band. That kind of down-home humor and feel and groove — it was fabulous. Rock and roll is about feel! I would definitely vote for them. And Deep Purple! If if’s a real “Rock and Roll” Hall of Fame, they have to have Little Feat and Deep Purple in there — before anyone else!

That kind of comment makes me think Dave would have understood if he would have caught a live Dead show.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 22:10

Well he is right about teh dead

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2016 22:50

Naturalust
Most of these rock stars have probably never been to a Dead show. The Dead were a live band, more so than the Beatles or the Stones. Their best music was always played live and not in the studio like the Beatles and Stones. They were never able to capture that magic in the studio, imo.

I saw the Grateful Dead in 1978 and was bored to tears - it was quite a letdown considering I liked alot of their studio output (and still do).
Rambling meandering jams with no end in sight...I suppose I didn't quite 'get it'.

Some of the deadhead acquaintances I knew from high school at the time would leave town for months following the Dead,
and would return missing a large amount of brain cells - just a total mess. Kind of felt sorry for them, but too much acid has a tendency to mess with people.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2016 22:51

I don't think either that "You Really Got Me" directly influenced "Satisfaction" (the use of fuzz tone). If I recall right Keith has talking about using the fuzz box being a "gimmick" to cover the "silly kind of riff" being so damn "basic". And in some other occassion he talks about trying to imitate the sound of horns. (Which make sense, since it was the horn riff from "Nowhere To Run" that come across while he was sleeping...)

If there is some Kinks influence in Stones' music I think one should look mostly at BETWEEN THE BUTTONS.

That said, "You Really Got Me" was a groundbreaking song guitarwise. Hendrix got that right.

- Doxa

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 19, 2016 23:03

BluzDude
Turner68

I agree

me too.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2016 23:09

sorry, wrong thread... edited.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 23:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 19, 2016 23:31

There's also the Stones version of 'I Wanna Be Your Man.' The overall guitar sound and Brian's solo on that record (released almost a year earlier than the Kinks YRGM) were pretty heavy for its time. Did that influence Dave? (He doesn't mention it)

While I don't like Keith Richard's method of promoting his solo album, I don't think many took his comments seriously (especially the ones about the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album). It sounds like Dave Davies is doing the same thing as Keith (trying to grab headlines for his tour).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 23:34 by nightskyman.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 20, 2016 00:01

nightskyman
There's also the Stones version of 'I Wanna Be Your Man.' The overall guitar sound and Brian's solo on that record (released almost a year earlier than the Kinks YRGM) were pretty heavy for its time. Did that influence Dave? (He doesn't mention it)

While I don't like Keith Richard's method of promoting his solo album, I don't think many took his comments seriously (especially the ones about the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album). It sounds like Dave Davies is doing the same thing as Keith (trying to grab headlines for his tour).

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2016 00:18

Love the Kinks, but shouldn't it be Keith saying whether or not he was influenced by DD and not the other way around?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:18

More Hot Rocks
BluzDude
Turner68

I agree

me too.

I hope dead heads take it in stride, although a lot of them don't. It's amazing that I hear their absolutely dreadful croaking, and their fans call it beautiful harmonies. I read really stupid lyrics and their fans proclaim them to be profound. I see them get delighted at a cover like Shine On Your Love Light and all I hear is actual caterwauling. It must be fantastic to have a bent tuning fork in your head that tells you that this is good music. And that it should be played for 20 minute jams. Lucky bastards.

And no, I don't think Satisfaction and You Really Got Me are related at all.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:41

Apart from American Beauty And Workingmans Dead, where their output WAS great as it seemed they at least tried to make properly constructed songs to my ears, and these are great albums, the rest of the Dead's output had been dreadful and totally self indulgent. You have to be on something, surely, to get it?

Rod

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:21

More Hot Rocks
BluzDude
Turner68

I agree

me too.

I agree too. The one and only song I like from the Dead is 'Friend of the Devil. But to give Jerry his due, Riders of the Purple Sage were better than the Kinks & Dead combined.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:23

I don't know but I have Always thought that Jimi Hendrix were the guy that really changed something in the guitarsound with his 'overdrive-sound'...at least Zappa were very influenced by that...and now we're talking Guitarists nameing Jimi and Frank..Dave Davies..was his guitar even plugged in on the Kinks live concerts?...or was it the other famous brother Tom Fogerty that wasn't...
And Dave! who is Muddy Waters? and what sound does he has already in the 50ies..??

2 1 2 0

Date: January 20, 2016 10:44

Come On
I don't know but I have Always thought that Jimi Hendrix were the guy that really changed something in the guitarsound with his 'overdrive-sound'...at least Zappa were very influenced by that...and now we're talking Guitarists nameing Jimi and Frank..Dave Davies..was his guitar even plugged in on the Kinks live concerts?...or was it the other famous brother Tom Fogerty that wasn't...
And Dave! who is Muddy Waters? and what sound does he has already in the 50ies..??

Your out on deep waters here now, Come On grinning smiley

Keep in mind that Jimi came a little later. The fuzz-guitars had been around for a while..

Let me show you some ace Dave stuff:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 20, 2016 10:46

bitusa2012
Apart from American Beauty And Workingmans Dead, where their output WAS great as it seemed they at least tried to make properly constructed songs to my ears, and these are great albums, the rest of the Dead's output had been dreadful and totally self indulgent. You have to be on something, surely, to get it?

the dead also had several non album songs during this time that were great. "Tennessee jed", "ramble on rose", "Chinatown shuffle", "jack straw", "he's gone", "mr charlie", ""brown-eyed woman", "the stranger (two souls in communion)".

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 20, 2016 13:09

Love the Dead!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home