Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: R.I.P. Glenn Frey
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 19, 2016 15:33

I can relate to those who say this one really makes them sad. I really can't explain it, either. I always liked Henley more than Frey, thought Don was more talented and a better singer, but when I saw the History of the Eagles tour and realized how many of the good guitar parts were played by Frey, I had to re-assess Frey's contributions.

For some reason, maybe because it just compounds the increased passing of my youth that was magnified with Bowie's death, hearing about Frey really has put me in a funk. We all become fans of people and groups to varying degrees and through their work feel like we know them, so maybe that's it. But selfishly I think the feeling is these guys aren't allowed to die until either it's obvious they're infirm or I'm gone, and last I checked I'm still here.

I'll wager most of us here are of a "certain age" (me fast approaching 58) so one last supposition from me regarding "why so sad" is that since death usually doesn't knock first, when it does hit us in the face with people like Natalie Cole, Bowie, Frey, etc., in such short order, it just serves as a harsh reminder that our "heroes" are not immortal and by extension, neither are we. But the work they left behind makes them live forever. A not so subtle reminder then that maybe I should do what I can to improve myself while there's still time. One small way to honor those no longer here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 15:36 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 19, 2016 15:38

RIP Glenn. I can't thank you enough for all the music you were a part of giving us to enjoy. I'm glad I got to see you live. A great evening. Funny for me to think back to when I was learning to play the bass (who am I kidding, I'm still learning) about how many times I must have played along with the Eagles Live album. I'm going to have to pull that one out in the next couple of days. Nice memory to think of how it was "Hotel California" that finally offered me a breakthrough in figuring out how to use a 5-string bass.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 19, 2016 16:10

RIP Glenn and thanks for the music.

I first saw the Eagles on the Hotel California Tour at Wembley Arena in 1976, what a night! Joe Walsh had not long joined the band and they rocked. It was some years later that I next saw them on the infamous 'Hell Freezes Over' Tour, this time at Wembley Stadium......another great show with support from a 17 year old Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:02

Dammit...Glenn was a great original
...already gone...

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:05

R.I.P. GLF --- you'll always be remembered and loved...

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:32

Not another one...who's next I wonder?? I know death is part of life, but many of these "elder statesmen/women of the blues and rock 'n roll" are dying too young. Except for B.B. King. I know...if you're in your twenties, anyone over 40 is considered ancient. Plus, many of these rockers jokingly said in their younger days that they didn't expect to live until 40 either!! But, it appears that many are dying in the age range between their mid-60's to early 70's, which really isn't that old given the fact people are living well into their 90's nowadays.

These musicians are the Stones' peers..makes me wonder what they feel about their friends and colleagues dying. Can't help but feeling a little bit scared maybe or maybe not.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:52

Aquamarine
Unlike Bowie, this is leading on the CNN news broadcasts.

I guess you are in the US Aquamarine. It's not a competition but Bowie was absolutely everywhere all day on Monday here in the UK. Lead item on all news bulletins and many many minutes devoted to him.

R.I.P. Glenn Frey

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:58

R.I.P. Glenn

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 19, 2016 19:05

Wow this is a shocker! Had no idea he had been in poor health.

A lot of great music - music of a lifetime for many.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2016 20:18

More sad news.

First song I learned to play was "Take It Easy' - no barre chords.

BTW, second one was Buffett's "Get Drunk and Screw".

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 20, 2016 01:43

It will be interesting to see if this means the end of The Eagles as a performing band. He was the founder and integral vocalist and song-writer. I personally don't think they should try to keep playing shows. There's no point. However if Don Henley did want to keep things going I think the only replacement that would do Glenn justice would be Jackson Browne. He was like an un-official Eagle anyway. But I don't think Jackson would do it except for maybe a couple of shows just for the novelty of it. I say let the Eagles fade away with dignity.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2016 01:48

I agree Bungo - there's no point and hopefully it will never happen.
Don Henley can continue with his solo country career.

RIP Glenn Frey.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 02:06

Bungo
It will be interesting to see if this means the end of The Eagles as a performing band. He was the founder and integral vocalist and song-writer. I personally don't think they should try to keep playing shows. There's no point. However if Don Henley did want to keep things going I think the only replacement that would do Glenn justice would be Jackson Browne. He was like an un-official Eagle anyway. But I don't think Jackson would do it except for maybe a couple of shows just for the novelty of it. I say let the Eagles fade away with dignity.

Very interesting thought about Jackson Browne - personally I would love to see that happen, but unfortunately I think the Eagles are over now. I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Walsh goes back to Ringo's All-Star Band, and Don Henley continues his solo touring.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 20, 2016 02:17

Henley has always used at least some of the Eagles side players, including guitarist Steuart Smith, in his solo bands. I'm not sure who gets custody of Tim Schmidt.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 20, 2016 06:07

So sad.

Thanks for all the great music Glen. R.I.P.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:43

sad news still going on...
I remember Glenn Frey singing Tequila Sunrise, I first heard this song in 1983 in London and I never forgot this one.
Thanks for your music and your feeling.

Glenn Frey RIP ...
Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 01:15

what a shocker....

Re: Glenn Frey RIP ...
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: January 19, 2016 01:52

Shit. What a fcking January

Date: January 19, 2016 02:06

Damn... sad smiley

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: January 19, 2016 02:24

Just woke up to this...wth? That's 3 in less than a month. Hopin' the boys are taking good care of themselves.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: January 19, 2016 02:34

Never a big Eagles fan but they weren't hacks and obviously took their craft seriously ....superlative players and singers who could reproduce the licks and harmonies in concert-I understand Randy Meisner is real rough shape...raise a glass to a real pillar of the 70's music scene...

Date: January 19, 2016 02:45

From the L.A. Times:

"The Eagles were to have been recognized with a 2015 Kennedy Center Honor in December,
but in November the band requested that it be put off until “all four Eagles -- Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- can attend.”
In a statement released at that time, the Eagles said Frey had suffered a recurrence of “previous intestinal issues, which will require major surgery and a lengthy recovery period.”'

RIP Glenn Frey

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 20, 2016 22:11

Bungo

Just before the start of the two-year long "History of the Eagles" tour (2013-15), Henley implied pretty strongly that this was likely it for them, noting the two-year length and their ages at the end of the tour.

I was lucky enough to see them at The Forum in Los Angeles two years ago (first and only time)...it was a great performance. I agree about them fading away with dignity and, with the last tour, being able to go out on their own terms.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 20, 2016 22:55

Take another shot of courage
Wonder why the right words never come
You just get numb

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 20, 2016 23:00

Randy Meisner and Don Felder, both of whom left the Eagles mostly due to difficulties with Frey, are both very sad about his passing.

Felder's statement:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Meisner:

[www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 20, 2016 23:35

Growing up in Cali, the Eagles were a big part of my growing up.

Huge loss. very sad.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: January 21, 2016 02:58

Long John Stoner
I can relate to those who say this one really makes them sad. I really can't explain it, either. I always liked Henley more than Frey, thought Don was more talented and a better singer, but when I saw the History of the Eagles tour and realized how many of the good guitar parts were played by Frey, I had to re-assess Frey's contributions.

For some reason, maybe because it just compounds the increased passing of my youth that was magnified with Bowie's death, hearing about Frey really has put me in a funk. We all become fans of people and groups to varying degrees and through their work feel like we know them, so maybe that's it. But selfishly I think the feeling is these guys aren't allowed to die until either it's obvious they're infirm or I'm gone, and last I checked I'm still here.

I'll wager most of us here are of a "certain age" (me fast approaching 58) so one last supposition from me regarding "why so sad" is that since death usually doesn't knock first, when it does hit us in the face with people like Natalie Cole, Bowie, Frey, etc., in such short order, it just serves as a harsh reminder that our "heroes" are not immortal and by extension, neither are we. But the work they left behind makes them live forever. A not so subtle reminder then that maybe I should do what I can to improve myself while there's still time. One small way to honor those no longer here.

Great post, Long John!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 02:59 by dj.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 21, 2016 04:51

dj
Long John Stoner

Great post, Long John!

Thanks!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2016 11:00

marianna
Randy Meisner and Don Felder, both of whom left the Eagles mostly due to difficulties with Frey, are both very sad about his passing.

Felder's statement:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Meisner:

[www.nydailynews.com]

Very gracious statement by Felder considering all the animosity.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2016 00:33

Herald Sun -- 22 January 2016

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1305
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home