Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Ventilator Blues (New)
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 19, 2016 12:48

I hate the word 'filler' give me filler in my face that I can't afford,
Vent Blues may be filler for my soul backed up against the wall, pist off pushing thru obstacles and craziness all around. I'm familiar.
Can't add to the rich comments made here already,
this songs a '10' for me, and it rolling into 'I Just Want To See His Face'
sublime genius.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 19, 2016 12:59

stewedandkeefed
Ventilator Blues careens along in a totally different sense of time
than any other Stones cut. For that reason alone, it is brilliant.

That's what I wanted to say!
Thanks & praises, Bobby - love & light and thanks & praises

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 19, 2016 14:04

35love
I hate the word 'filler' give me filler in my face that I can't afford,
Vent Blues may be filler for my soul backed up against the wall, pist off pushing thru obstacles and craziness all around. I'm familiar.
Can't add to the rich comments made here already,
this songs a '10' for me, and it rolling into 'I Just Want To See His Face'
sublime genius.

That's the clincher for me too...I dare anyone to come up with two Stones songs more perfectly paired. Maybe a subject for another thread? smiling smiley

Re: Track Talk: Ventilator Blues
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 19, 2016 14:13

DandelionPowderman
It was a stand out track back when I first put on this album as a 12 year old in 1983. This one and Rocks Off.

It sounded so dark, almost scary a dangerous. When the horns kicked in it really took me places.

An absolutely magnificent album track!

Once again, i fully Agree Dandelion. When the stones will give a gig in holland, this or next year, i will buy you some drinks.smileys with beer
Jeroen

Date: January 19, 2016 14:27

corriecas
DandelionPowderman
It was a stand out track back when I first put on this album as a 12 year old in 1983. This one and Rocks Off.

It sounded so dark, almost scary a dangerous. When the horns kicked in it really took me places.

An absolutely magnificent album track!

Once again, i fully Agree Dandelion. When the stones will give a gig in holland, this or next year, i will buy you some drinks.smileys with beer
Jeroen

And I will happily accept, and return the gesture smileys with beer

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 19, 2016 16:34

This song always kind of bored me.
It is less enjoyable than, say, Mixed Emotions, Dont Stop, Keys To Your Love, Highwire, Had It With You and oh so many others. Songs like VB prevent Exile from being a real masterpiece. VB is subpar. On most Stones-albums VB would be the less satisfying song. Not on Exile, since on Exile you can find even more hard to listen to so-so´s, fillers and superfluous tracks. How I wish they´d had released Exile as a single album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2016 17:37

Always sounded like a John Lennon solo style leftover that he would have never released.
Like a poor man's slow and sloppy version of 'Cold Turkey'.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 20, 2016 11:18

HMS
It is less enjoyable than, say, Mixed Emotions, Dont Stop, Keys To Your Love, Highwire, Had It With You and oh so many others. Songs like VB prevent Exile from being a real masterpiece. VB is subpar. On most Stones-albums VB would be the less satisfying song. Not on Exile, since on Exile you can find even more hard to listen to so-so´s, fillers and superfluous tracks. How I wish they´d had released Exile as a single album.

Maybe you should listen to the Beatles more often.

Mathijs

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 20, 2016 11:36

HMS

I hope Turner68 is not having any breakfast when he reads this one.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 20, 2016 12:44

Ventilator is one of the scenes on Exile that explains the origin of this film noir. You can't exclude Cry Baby Cry, Take me back, Long Long Long or anything else for that matter from the White Album.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 20, 2016 13:07

HMS

Seriously???!!!

Ok, to each their own! smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 20, 2016 15:36

Wild Slivovitz
HMS

Seriously???!!!

Ok, to each their own! smileys with beer

Dont take HMS too seriously. Its the wrong time of the month and HMS has The Period of the month.
Jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2016 23:13

Brilliant performance of an average song that fits perfectly on the album. What the stones do best, lemonade from lemons.

Love this, and I agree with some of the other observations, probably couldn't pull it off near as nice live.

It's probably been previously discussed, but is everything ok with Rene? Noticed he hasn't posted in 6 months, I hope all is alright.

Thanks NICOS for carrying the torch.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 21, 2016 06:31

treaclefingers
Brilliant performance of an average song that fits perfectly on the album. What the stones do best, lemonade from lemons.

Love this, and I agree with some of the other observations, probably couldn't pull it off near as nice live.

Noooooo! Listen to the rehearsals of this song and I'm positive you'll agree with me that that Ventilator could've surpassed even Midnight Rambler as the best live warhorse. Many people dismiss this song as 'average' or 'filler' and not without reason - the album version is jerky & robotic. But the rehearsals prove that the Stones committed an enormous goof by not re-working it. It could've been one of their iconic tunes.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: January 21, 2016 07:08

I love the riff from Ventilator Blues. The song has a great rhythm to it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 07:09 by stones2000.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 21, 2016 19:19

It's a beast of a track--so much sweat and tension.

And Nicky Hopkins plays like a madman...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 21, 2016 23:15

Swayed1967
...It could've been one of their iconic tunes.

it IS one of their iconic tunes, as is!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 21, 2016 23:17

I think it's still a great track to perform live....a bit practicing for the right beat and an other warhorse is born.............

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 22, 2016 13:05

Rev. Robert W.

Yep! You said it.
Its building like crazy though what must have been the hazy summer madness.
I`ve loved it for soooo many years but it still reveals itself to me.
Such a marvellous, marvellous piece of emotionally driven, authentic music.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 22, 2016 13:42

RobberBride
Rev. Robert W.

Yep! You said it.
Its building like crazy though what must have been the hazy summer madness.
I`ve loved it for soooo many years but it still reveals itself to me.
Such a marvellous, marvellous piece of emotionally driven, authentic music.

True. Same here. For example, it's only thanks to reading the messages on this forum that I started to pay attention to the drums. I'm sure subconsciously the rhythm of the track always had to do with my love for this song, but when I focussed on the drums, it just added another layer to my appreciation. Maybe part of the magic of EOMS, in general, is the amount of layers to each song. (Although I don't think its magic can ever be completely explained.)

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 22, 2016 14:00

matxil
Maybe part of the magic of EOMS, in general, is the amount of layers to each song. (Although I don't think its magic can ever be completely explained.)

Oh yes! Took me until last winter (28 years) to hear the wonderful track entering on 0:46, slidework that shadows Keiths main riff thoughout in a "straighter way", fattening Keiths track, adding a flare here and there. Think it is a Taylor addition. Feather in the hat.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 22, 2016 22:12

Swayed1967
treaclefingers

Noooooo! Listen to the rehearsals of this song and I'm positive you'll agree with me that that Ventilator could've surpassed even Midnight Rambler as the best live warhorse. Many people dismiss this song as 'average' or 'filler' and not without reason - the album version is jerky & robotic. But the rehearsals prove that the Stones committed an enormous goof by not re-working it. It could've been one of their iconic tunes.

ok settle down...they can't even play a far better track from the same album, Rocks Off, live very well.

no, what they do magnificently is squeeze the most out of otherwise average songs and make them great on record. Theoretically this should work live as well, but for whatever reason lots of songs can't cross the rubicon.

Take She's So Cold...I love that tune. But no one else could make that sound as magical, because it simply isn't that good of a song. But the recorded performance on vinyl is transcendent.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 13:00

Swayed1967
treaclefingers

I"m not sure what you mean by robotic, but for me the "jerkiness" is part of what makes the song great.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 23, 2016 14:22

treaclefingers

It's probably been previously discussed, but is everything ok with Rene? Noticed he hasn't posted in 6 months, I hope all is alright.

Thanks NICOS for carrying the torch.

Agree! Average song on its own but is like a jigsaw piece on the Exile album.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 12:29

HMS

I almost choked on a slice of cold Italian pizza when I read this

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 23, 2019 11:51

I just saw an interesting comment by Jimmy Miller's daughter Deena on YouTube and she said VB was her fathers favorite track off of Exile and one of his favorite tracks he worked on during his time with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 13:33 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 23, 2019 13:26

marcovandereijk
Played on stage in Vancouver 1972.
After that heard in a couple of rehearsals (Toronto 1994, Amsterdam 1999, London 2012)
but never done in concert by the Stones.
One of those songs that have an atmosphere on the album that can never be replicated
on stage, I guess.

I guess they don't play it not because it "can never be replicated on stage'. They don't play it because they are a Greatest Hits-Las Vegas-act. Most people in the audience are far away from being real Stones- let alone Bluesrock-Fans. They want the Party bullshit (SFTD, HTW, MY, IORR etc.), not obscure slow Blues numbers. Unfortunately.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home