Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 16, 2017 07:47

Toru A
Rip This
is Rebel Rebel a Keith riff?...I didn't know they were buds.

It was played by Alan Parker. I don't know whose idea it was, though.smiling smiley

It's Bowies riff. It isnt Stonsey at all but thats what he aimed for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 07:48 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2017 22:09

Bowie plays the guitar on Rebel Rebel. It was first written around 73 for a proposed Ziggy musical, aborted, and Bowie fit it into the 1984 story. He plays the guitar. Basically plays all the guitar on Diamond Dogs! There is an alternate US version that is shorter with the backing vocals with Geoff MacCormack. Parker plays guitar on 1984, and Earl Slick plays guitar on Rock and ROll with Me. Bowie's the rest.

I totally disagree it doesn't sound Stonesy. Rebel Rebel along with Watch that Man are two very overt homages to Keith's riffing. Great song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-16 22:10 by whitem8.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 17, 2017 01:35

"Alan Parker played the riff on the record, using a Les Paul standard and a Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker.
He later said Bowie had about three-fourths of the riff down when he played it for Parker on an acoustic guitar: he told Parker to make it a bit more Rolling Stones.
Parker replayed the riff on his electric, adding some clang and bends (Bowie credited Parker with the three final notes of the riff: Ab, D and E).
Its godfather was Keith Richards, who’d made a lifetime habit of compelling two-chord riffs; its target was Mick Ronson, who Bowie seemed to be trying to outdo."

"Herbie Flowers said another of his favourite Bowie memories was from when they recorded the Diamond Dogs album at Decca:
“David said he had an idea, and he sat there cross-legged and scribbled out the lyrics to Rebel Rebel, complete with this lovely guitar rift.
“So we got Alan Parker in, and by the end of the afternoon, the track was complete.”"

I heard Bowie was once thinking to reveal all personnel on Diamond Dogs at later date. But that didn't happen.smiling smiley

Date: January 17, 2017 02:21

Strange, two other sources say Parker only played on 1984, as does the album sleeve I believe.

Date: January 17, 2017 05:04

I've won a tote bag today.smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 17, 2017 08:06

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-type-of-electric-guitar-did-bowie-use-on-diamond-dogs.386025/

But it wasn't all doom and degradation; Diamond Dogs contains three great pop tunes: 'Rebel Rebel', for example, has become a legendary rock track. Alan Parker, who had been called in for the album, remembers working with Bowie on the brilliant riff:

'He's very quick, David. He'd say, "Yeah I like that particular approach", and he'd throw in a couple of thoughts or ideas. On "Rebel Rebel", he had the riff about 75% sorted out. He wanted it a bit like a Stones riff, and he played it to me as such, and I then tinkered around with it. I said, "Well, what if we did this and that and made it sound more clangy and put some bends in it?", and he said, "Yeah, I love that, that's fine"'. I can tell you exactly what I used, it was an old Les Paul standard, a black one, and it was an old Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker in them.'

Bowie remembers 'Alan's additions to the 'Rebel Rebel' riff were the three descending notes, A flat, D and E at the end of each riff. That gave it its nice continuity.'

Date: July 13, 2017 11:23

A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982)

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 14:29

Toru A

A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982)

Preoredred mine yesterday--looks like a wonderful set!

Date: July 15, 2017 23:08

Yes I did as well. I benefitted from a great pre-order price on Amazon. $159. Within an hour it was double the price! Keep checking superdeluxeedition.com for other deals that come up for this box set.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 15, 2017 23:15

whitem8
Yes I did as well. I benefitted from a great pre-order price on Amazon. $159. Within an hour it was double the price! Keep checking superdeluxeedition.com for other deals that come up for this box set.

Wow! So if you find a better price you just cancel your previous order and place a new one at the lower price?

EDIT:
Actually it looks like I'm covered by the Pre-Order Price Guarantee. Duh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 00:17 by LongBeachArena72.

Date: July 16, 2017 03:25

[www.youtube.com]
Crystal Japan

This is TV ad for Japanese Shochu.
Shochu is distilled from buckwheat, rice, sweet potatoes, barley or brown sugar.

Date: July 16, 2017 05:26

Redhotcarpet
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-type-of-electric-guitar-did-bowie-use-on-diamond-dogs.386025/

But it wasn't all doom and degradation; Diamond Dogs contains three great pop tunes: 'Rebel Rebel', for example, has become a legendary rock track. Alan Parker, who had been called in for the album, remembers working with Bowie on the brilliant riff:

'He's very quick, David. He'd say, "Yeah I like that particular approach", and he'd throw in a couple of thoughts or ideas. On "Rebel Rebel", he had the riff about 75% sorted out. He wanted it a bit like a Stones riff, and he played it to me as such, and I then tinkered around with it. I said, "Well, what if we did this and that and made it sound more clangy and put some bends in it?", and he said, "Yeah, I love that, that's fine"'. I can tell you exactly what I used, it was an old Les Paul standard, a black one, and it was an old Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker in them.'

Bowie remembers 'Alan's additions to the 'Rebel Rebel' riff were the three descending notes, A flat, D and E at the end of each riff. That gave it its nice continuity.'

That makes sense.Bowie himself only sings the riff w/o those very 3 notes.
I agree with RedHot that the riff is not like a Stones riff. It is Ersatz Stones. What others come up with when they want to write Stones. Like Elton and "Saturday Nights Alright". Closest the Stones themselves ever came up with a riff of that type is "Im Goin Down".

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 27, 2017 00:53

Very nice interview with David on German TV show
(without translation and subtitles):

[www.youtube.com]

with a nice live performance of "Everyone Says Hi"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 00:56 by TooTough.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2017 22:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 17, 2017 23:06

Dirty Boulevard. David gets down with Lou Reed. A tremendous Power-Plus meetup.
Both gone; hard to believe. Ever eternal thopugh, we have this...
...hard material; sensitive to neogitate this stuff with this kind of impact and smarts imo...major meetup in Homage and Respect of Each Other. I'm 'late to the party' w this; but for me personally a Major find for me this year: This clip.
Especially since losing David so recently.
[www.youtube.com]

Here's David so beautiful; loose as a goose and enjoying his audience.
Beautiful stuff. Important song; Intense lovely guy. RIP David.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 00:30 by hopkins.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 17, 2017 23:42

Rockman

Many thanks for this article. I’ve always been intrigued with DB’s association with Australia as he did live in an apartment in Sydney for a while. I would love to have this book (limited edition) but yikes - the price.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 17, 2017 23:53

hopkins
...hard material; sensitive to neogitate this stuff with this kind of impact and smarts imo...major meetup in Homage and Respect of Each Other. I'm 'late to the party' w this; but for me personally a Major find for me this year: This clip.

[www.youtube.com]

Still kills me that we don't have either of these guys anymore. I never thought I could picture a world without them. In that very small group of people like Dylan, Neil Young, maybe McCartney and Jagger/Richards.

Date: December 18, 2017 00:10

RollingFreak
hopkins

[www.youtube.com]

Still kills me that we don't have either of these guys anymore. I never thought I could picture a world without them. In that very small group of people like Dylan, Neil Young, maybe McCartney and Jagger/Richards.

thumbs up

Date: December 18, 2017 01:53

Rockman thanks for posting that Bowie article from down under! Great to see that picture of him so happy and healthy. How couldn't you be in Australia?

He is missed greatly. I have had him on heavy rotation this last month. I love the A New Career in a New Town box set. His immortality on wax...low...heroes...lodger...scary monsters.... whew what a run that was!

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 18, 2017 02:06

whitem8
Rockman thanks for posting that Bowie article from down under! Great to see that picture of him so happy and healthy. How couldn't you be in Australia?

He is missed greatly. I have had him on heavy rotation this last month. I love the A New Career in a New Town box set. His immortality on wax...low...heroes...lodger...scary monsters.... whew what a run that was!

I had to sadly send mine back. The mix on It’s No Game on Scary Monsters was really bad IMHO. As you know there was the problem with Heroes too. I know that they’ve since fixed Heroes. I’ll have to wait for the rest.

Date: December 21, 2017 00:33

[www.youtube.com]

I referenced this clip in the above post; but then failed to include it;
I 'fixed' that post but think this clip is so beautiful, I wanted to share it for sure. TY.
It's a tremendously moving performance for me; both of these guys in clear Homage with so much respect for each other.
This song is so down dirty; David understands and does beautifully here.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 1, 2018 08:57

The new Glastonbury 2000 release is amazing. The master at the height of his powers. Get the version with the dvd!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:36

I love Glastonbury 2000, as I've just been listening to it.

It's amazing how comfortable Bowie is, or was, with his back catalogue at this time. It's a bit of contrast from the live material on the Loving The Alien box set; we are spoiled with Bowie at the moment. I wonder what 2019 has in store from the vaults ?

Date: December 1, 2018 11:28

tomcasagranda
I love Glastonbury 2000, as I've just been listening to it.

It's amazing how comfortable Bowie is, or was, with his back catalogue at this time. It's a bit of contrast from the live material on the Loving The Alien box set; we are spoiled with Bowie at the moment. I wonder what 2019 has in store from the vaults ?

thumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 1, 2018 12:44

If you like "Heroes" check this out.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Date: December 1, 2018 12:54

drewmaster

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

thanks. the performance of "heroes" at glastonbury is a special one. "heroes" is 1 of my favorite bowie songs. i can remember sitting on the floor at my grandparent's house with my great grandfather there & watching bowie perform "heroes" on the (last) bing crosby xmas special. i was already onto bowie at age 13 or so. don't have much family now, kind of a good memory.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 1, 2018 13:37

Thank you Drewmaster: amazing description in details of the musical construction of: "Heroes".
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 1, 2018 14:49

From his diary.
Another thing that I had forgotten is that I need a band.
One great disadvantage of being a solo artist is that because I tour fairly infrequently and often only for a couple of weeks, stopping just before it gets boring.
I have no immediate body of stout hearted fellows, proud and true, who know my songs inside out without the necessity of actually having to learn them.

That's why the Rolling Stones are still touring.smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 1, 2018 15:09

drewmaster

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Brilliant...thank you.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:09

crholmstrom
The new Glastonbury 2000 release is amazing. The master at the height of his powers. Get the version with the dvd!

Just picked it up, about to listen soon.

tomcasagranda
It's amazing how comfortable Bowie is, or was, with his back catalogue at this time. It's a bit of contrast from the live material on the Loving The Alien box set

I actually don't think he was. I mean probably a bit moreso than in the 90s, but I think he did it here out of necessity and not choice. That hours album did not sell (unfortunately, because I think its great) and then the short promo tour he did (I'm not sure if he planned a full one that just got cancelled) focused on a lot of older material to compensate. Sad, because its actually one of the rare later albums I actually like from him, but I can't complain with then getting an older more mature Bowie just playing the classics. Thats amazing too. But yeah, I don't know if he was ever really comfortable with his back catalogue, maybe besides on the Reality tour where he did truly seem to find a balance and appreciation for all of his old stuff. So sad, what could have followed if we had more tours like the Reality one. I think that diary entry is evidence of that. He'd finally found guys he LOVES playing with and that KNOW his music. Its not just a gig to them, they are there for him. Its sad he didn't have more tours with that lineup.

Toru A
From his diary.
Another thing that I had forgotten is that I need a band.
One great disadvantage of being a solo artist is that because I tour fairly infrequently and often only for a couple of weeks, stopping just before it gets boring.
I have no immediate body of stout hearted fellows, proud and true, who know my songs inside out without the necessity of actually having to learn them.

But this Glastonbury performance seems like one of the extremely rare times he's exclusively looking back. I feel you can even tell from his look at the time this is a weird transition mode for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 19:11 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home