Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: OT: Lady Gaga Grammy Bowie Tribute
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:12

marianna
People either love or hate the Gaga. I didn't see the tribute because I got tired of the show and kept tuning out. She is overexposed and overused, especially for someone who had not had a hit in a very long time, unless you count her duets with Tony Bennett, which was hardly a big smash. Yes, it would have been better to show Bowie clips or use some musicians who are actually influenced by David.

I don't dislike her, I think she's talented, and maybe it wasn't her fault, just thought it was subpar.

Space Oddity was pretty good, went downhill from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 15:13 by kovach.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:12

I thought this Gaga tribute was unintentionally hilarious. A dragged up Angie Bowie doing karaoke. She gave it her all and I don't doubt it was well intended but it was ultimately abysmal but thoroughly entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:19

It started out promising

Date: February 16, 2016 15:28

Am I the only one who thought it was (at the very least) decent? No, I wasn't thrilled by the 'Under Pressure' teaser, did I think there was too much going on at times? Yes. Did I still enjoy a newer artist paying tribute to a music legend? You bet.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:47

Cringe-worthy cruise ship karaoke cabaret....Bowie probably would have gotten a chuckle out of it....

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:57

What you have to remember in ANY of these sorts of presentations- This is a TELEVISION SHOW FIRST!

All things related are designed and geared to gain viewership and sell advertising. THIS and this alone, are the primary driving force of these performances.

We're on a Rolling Stones website, talking at length about her performance.

Looks like it was a huge success.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 16, 2016 16:01

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Am I the only one who thought it was (at the very least) decent? No, I wasn't thrilled by the 'Under Pressure' teaser, did I think there was too much going on at times? Yes. Did I still enjoy a newer artist paying tribute to a music legend? You bet.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Nope, just watched it on YT and found it rather good too, especially after all the crapping that took place in this thread...it seems some people have double (or more) standards ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:03

Just watched it this morning. I agree that her heart was probably in the right place, but it was too much about Gaga and not enough about Bowie.

The BB King tribute was much better.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:07

Maybe several artists should have contributed instead of one artist. But I don't know how she could have done much better, it was well choreographed

Date: February 16, 2016 17:14

Maindefender
Maybe several artists should have contributed instead of one artist. But I don't know how she could have done much better, it was well choreographed

Too well, Main. That's what stuck out for me - oh look, Gaga is doing this, now she's doing that! For me, it got in the way of the music, except for when she was performing close to the guitarist.

BTW, Kendrick Lamar was jaw dropping, and I mean that in a good way.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:21

Adding to above, yes, BB King tribute was excellent, "Thrill is Gone," with Bonnie Rait, Chris Stapleton and Gary Clark Jr., all on voice and guitar.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:25

If you were going to get a female singer for this tribute wouldn't someone like..I dunno..Bjork been much closer to the spirit of Bowies music? Maybe Grace Jones if you wanted to go surreal....
Im sure Gaga was no worse than Taylor Swift or Gwen Stefani or Beyoncé or any other pop culture contemporary but ....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:31

latebloomer
Maindefender

Too well, Main. That's what stuck out for me - oh look, Gaga is doing this, now she's doing that! For me, it got in the way of the music, except for when she was performing close to the guitarist.

BTW, Kendrick Lamar was jaw dropping, and I mean that in a good way.

Who can touch Bowie anyway, ya know what I mean??

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:38

angee
Adding to above, yes, BB King tribute was excellent, "Thrill is Gone," with Bonnie Rait, Chris Stapleton and Gary Clark Jr., all on voice and guitar.

I didn't see that one, but did see the Glenn Frey tribute, with all the Eagles and Jackson Browne. They all were visibly upset to play there with him missing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 16, 2016 18:06

Koen
angee

I didn't see that one, but did see the Glenn Frey tribute, with all the Eagles and Jackson Browne. They all were visibly upset to play there with him missing.

yes i noticed that also

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 16, 2016 18:37

I generally like Lady Ga Ga, but i thought her tribute was pretty mediocre.

On the other hand I thought the Eagles tribute to Glen Frey was excellent as was the tribute to B.B. King.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 16, 2016 19:41

I thought it was pretty good. Understand the frustration about the short clips of songs, but maybe they tried to pack in as much as possible with little time? I also like there was only one shot of Bowie at the end, it seemed perfect tribute to me. The imagery, costumes, make-up, stage and dance were well done in my opinion. I'm not a Gaga fan per se but I appreciate what she tries to do at least.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 16, 2016 20:31

Just viewed the tribute on YouTube: mixed feelings. I partly feel it was a genuine and heartfelt tribute from a fan - of which I suspect Ga Ga is -, whilst another aspect reeked of the God-awful. There are elements of genuine goodness, mixed with atrocity. As others here have suggested, however; Bowie would have probably loved it. And for that, well, perhaps it was fitting.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 20:42

roryfaninva
If you were going to get a female singer for this tribute wouldn't someone like..I dunno..Bjork been much closer to the spirit of Bowies music? Maybe Grace Jones if you wanted to go surreal....
Im sure Gaga was no worse than Taylor Swift or Gwen Stefani or Beyoncé or any other pop culture contemporary but ....

As a huge Bowie fan I can tell you I can't think of too many contemporary artists closer in spirit to Bowie than Gaga. Certainly far more than Bjork or Grace Jones.

I didn't love the tribute and thought it would have worked best as just 2-3 songs but I'd glad it was Gaga that got to do it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 16, 2016 20:54

Lady Gaga is a great, versatile singer. Wish she had done better service to one of her heroes with just one song instead of a medley. Perhaps "Heroes" would have been a good choice.

(ps
Horrified that Taylor Swift got album of the year instead of Alabama Shakes.)

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 16, 2016 20:56

jrcjohnny99
roryfaninva

As a huge Bowie fan I can tell you I can't think of too many contemporary artists closer in spirit to Bowie than Gaga. Certainly far more than Bjork or Grace Jones.

I didn't love the tribute and thought it would have worked best as just 2-3 songs but I'd glad it was Gaga that got to do it.

How is Lady Gaga "close in spirit" to the artistry of David Bowie? I don't dislike her. I think she is quite talented and an interesting and eclectic performer but also a bit of a media whore. And she hasn't grown much as a recording artist in the last 5 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 21:11 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 16, 2016 20:59

Lol Henley looked like he wanted to fight someone.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 16, 2016 21:07

stupidguy2
I bet Bowie would have loved the spectacle. You guys seem to be under the impression that Bowie liked decorum, convention..
Gaga's tribute was just over the top and out there enough to make sense in a Bowie tribute. What would you have preferred? Someone solemnly standing under a white light center stage singing Rebel, Rebel?
I bet that would have bored him to tears and would have been rolling his eyes. Bowie was a rock and roll iconoclast, eternal outsider and appealed to the freak in all of us. When older rock fans mock Gaga for being out there, I just have to laugh.
Another time, another era, and like her, hate her or dismiss her but she embodies his ethos in a way not many artists do these days - and so I think she was the perfect performer to pay tribute. A lot of people didn't get Bowie either.. Either hated or loved him. It was appropriate.

Well said stupidguy !!

Date: February 16, 2016 22:50

umakmehrd
stupidguy2
I bet Bowie would have loved the spectacle. You guys seem to be under the impression that Bowie liked decorum, convention..
Gaga's tribute was just over the top and out there enough to make sense in a Bowie tribute. What would you have preferred? Someone solemnly standing under a white light center stage singing Rebel, Rebel?
I bet that would have bored him to tears and would have been rolling his eyes. Bowie was a rock and roll iconoclast, eternal outsider and appealed to the freak in all of us. When older rock fans mock Gaga for being out there, I just have to laugh.
Another time, another era, and like her, hate her or dismiss her but she embodies his ethos in a way not many artists do these days - and so I think she was the perfect performer to pay tribute. A lot of people didn't get Bowie either.. Either hated or loved him. It was appropriate.

Well said stupidguy !!

Yeah, but it was all too perfectly planned. I get that on that type of venue, that's the way it goes, but I would have liked something a little messier, more spontaneous, even if just for a few minutes. Perhaps that's asking too much these days, but her performance just didn't feel authentic to me, like she really meant it. That's what I loved about Kendrick Lamar - the intensity on his face said it all. Like his music or not, the man was INTO what he was doing last night. Gotta respect that...just my rambling take on it. smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 16, 2016 22:50

BB King tribute : [youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 22:51

TornAndFried
jrcjohnny99
roryfaninva

How is Lady Gaga "close in spirit" to the artistry of David Bowie? I don't dislike her. I think she is quite talented and an interesting and eclectic performer but also a bit of a media whore. And she hasn't grown much as a recording artist in the last 5 years.

And you don't think Bowie was a media whore???

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 16, 2016 22:53

I never watch this wet-behind-the-ear wannabe garbarge show anymore, I can't relate to any of this trash, if they do have anyone classic on there, they will make you wait forever through all the clutter, I'll just Youtube what I want to see....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 16, 2016 22:56

David's son, Duncan Jones apparently wasn't too pleased with it.
Tweeted his displeasure...

Shortly after the performance, David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, fired off a somewhat cryptic tweet: "Overexcited or irrational, typically as a result of infatuation or excessive enthusiasm; mentally confused." Damn it! What IS that word!?"

[www.nbcnews.com]

Not as upset as the family of Natalie Cole however, who were very upset she ranked just a mention in the memorial instead of tribute..

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 16, 2016 23:04

gotdablouse
BB King tribute : [youtu.be]

VERY NICE! Thanks for posting. My wife had told me they had done a good job but this is the first I've actually seen it. I may just end up having to break down and become a fan of Chris Stapleton.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 16, 2016 23:08

MingSubu
Lol Henley looked like he wanted to fight someone.

Yeah, but at least he can move his face - Jackson Browne's looks a little too tight. grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home