Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 1, 2016 05:11

TornAndFried
crholmstrom
I picked up a bunch of the 1999 remasters yesterday for half price @ Barnes & Noble. I had the Ryko stuff. They sound real good. "Low" & "Heroes" are stupendous. "Let's Dance" is pretty mighty, too.

Which albums did you pick up at B&N? How does the sound of the 1999 remasters compare to that of the Rykodiscs?

If you know the sound of the original releases (ie on vinyl), both the Ryko's & the 1999 remasters don't sound that good at all. However the 1999 remasters have a punchier sound that might appeal to some but their sound is pretty harsh at the same time.

For the 5 first albums (from David Bowie to Pin Ups), I would recommend getting Parlophone remasters from last year. They're the closest to the original vinyl releases (though far from perfect) and they usually cheap (10€ each on Amazon...)

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 1, 2016 05:22

kowalski
TornAndFried
crholmstrom
I picked up a bunch of the 1999 remasters yesterday for half price @ Barnes & Noble. I had the Ryko stuff. They sound real good. "Low" & "Heroes" are stupendous. "Let's Dance" is pretty mighty, too.

Which albums did you pick up at B&N? How does the sound of the 1999 remasters compare to that of the Rykodiscs?

If you know the sound of the original releases (ie on vinyl), both the Ryko's & the 1999 remasters don't sound that good at all. However the 1999 remasters have a punchier sound that might appeal to some but their sound is pretty harsh at the same time.

For the 5 first albums (from David Bowie to Pin Ups), I would recommend getting Parlophone remasters from last year. They're the closest to the original vinyl releases (though far from perfect) and they usually cheap (10€ each on Amazon...)

Good to know. I liked that the Ryko had some bonus tracks on each release but generally those are not so great. Which are the best remasters for 'Aladin Sane' thru 'Scary Monsters'?

Date: February 1, 2016 09:01

TornAndFried

Good to know. I liked that the Ryko had some bonus tracks on each release but generally those are not so great. Which are the best remasters for 'Aladin Sane' thru 'Scary Monsters'?

Aladdin Sane and Pin Ups are part of last year remasters. But from Diamond Dogs to Scary Monsters, there's no good remaster available currently. For those you'll have to wait for the next batch of remasters on Parlophone. If you can't wait, the 1999 remasters are the easiest way to get these albums on CD though.

There's one exception though : Station To Station was reissued in 2010 in a deluxe edition with an excellent "flat" remaster. But the box set is arre and quite expensive nowadays.

To sum up :

David Bowie aka Space Oddity -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (or the 2009 40th anniversary edition which has a lot of interesting bonus tracks)
The Man Who Sold The World -> 2015 Parlophone remaster
Hunky Dory -> 2015 Parlophone remaster
Ziggy Stardust -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (or the 2012 40th anniversary edition which is the same)
Aladdin Sane -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (same as the 2013 40th anniversary edition)
Pin Ups -> 2015 Parlophone remaster

From Diamonds Dogs to Scary Monsters : wait for the next Parlophone box set

From Let's Dance : get the original CD's.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 1, 2016 11:23

The ones I got for $7.99 each were:
Low
Heroes
Let's Dance
Diamond Dogs

To my ears they sound better than the Ryko discs. I had some holes in the collection from when I had $ trouble. I do have a SACD of Ziggy. Thinking about the 5 years box set but its a little spendy for me. I've also got DVD audio of David Live & Stage that sound pretty good.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: February 1, 2016 13:54

The orignal RCA West Germany cd's are still the best for the sound.
The Station To Station 2010 version has the orignal RCA West Germany also inside.
For Let's Dance and Tonight are the original EMI made in West Germany the best.
These cd's are not available anymore but you can still found them on ebay.

Date: February 1, 2016 15:25

BOW2007
The orignal RCA West Germany cd's are still the best for the sound.
The Station To Station 2010 version has the orignal RCA West Germany also inside.
For Let's Dance and Tonight are the original EMI made in West Germany the best.
These cd's are not available anymore but you can still found them on ebay.

Well if you like your CD's with tape hiss, RCA CD's sound the best. ;-) But that's true they have a more natural (or "analog" ) sound than the remasters that followed. The thing is they're really expensive nowadays.
That's why I think the best solution in 2016 is to get the latest remasters (again you can get each remastered album for cheap) and wait for the 2nd box set that will most likely come later this year for the albums that came up after Pin Ups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-01 15:26 by kowalski.

Date: February 1, 2016 15:27

kowalski
TornAndFried

Aladdin Sane and Pin Ups are part of last year remasters. But from Diamond Dogs to Scary Monsters, there's no good remaster available currently. For those you'll have to wait for the next batch of remasters on Parlophone. If you can't wait, the 1999 remasters are the easiest way to get these albums on CD though.

There's one exception though : Station To Station was reissued in 2010 in a deluxe edition with an excellent "flat" remaster. But the box set is arre and quite expensive nowadays.

To sum up :

David Bowie aka Space Oddity -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (or the 2009 40th anniversary edition which has a lot of interesting bonus tracks)
The Man Who Sold The World -> 2015 Parlophone remaster
Hunky Dory -> 2015 Parlophone remaster
Ziggy Stardust -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (or the 2012 40th anniversary edition which is the same)
Aladdin Sane -> 2015 Parlophone remaster (same as the 2013 40th anniversary edition)
Pin Ups -> 2015 Parlophone remaster

From Diamonds Dogs to Scary Monsters : wait for the next Parlophone box set

From Let's Dance : get the original CD's.

Very useful.information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll wait until the Parlophone remasters come out for the Berlin Trilogy and Scary Monsters albums. I always wanted to compare the sound of the Ryko Au20 gold discs to that of the regular versions but unfortunately, missed getting them when they first came out and now they are an expensive collectors item. I think maybe Ziggy Stardust also came out in a gold CD by Mobile Fidelity.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 1, 2016 22:27

Yes, the Station to Station deluxe set is simply amazing. That box set has three different CD mixes of the album, vinyl, and vinyl of the boot Suffragette City. A beautiful poster, backstage passes, and a press kit with black and white glossies. You can choose from the RCA analog master and several other mixes.

The Five Years box set on vinyl sounds amazing. They did it right! And it comes with Santa Monica 72! Which I feel is better than the Ziggy Motion Picture soundtrack. A better show.

I think the Ryko actually sound pretty good. The deluxe Ziggy and Aladin Sane are wonderful with a lot of great outtakes, and presented in a nice booklet format. Diamond Dogs they cheaped out on. Sounds great, but they didn't package it well.

I have all the old RCA CDs and to me a lot of them sound very flat. The Five Years box set (vinyl) sounds far superior to me.

Date: February 1, 2016 23:00

Radio interview with Mike Garson, David Bowie's long-time pianist. He talks about his musical relationship with Bowie and plays some piano pieces. Excellent.

[mikegarson.com]

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 1, 2016 23:57

Local bar had a Bowie dance party Saturday night. This was the best dressed couple I saw there:

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 2, 2016 00:08

I've got most (if not all) cd's from Ryko. Very happy with these. They sound good to my ears and the artwork is very good too, plus you get a lot of bonus tracks.

The Man Who Sold The World is from the same time frame as the Ryko's, also with bonus tracks, and artwork has the different sleeves (nice touch). This one is from EMI actually.

Date: February 2, 2016 04:27

barbabang
I've got most (if not all) cd's from Ryko. Very happy with these. They sound good to my ears and the artwork is very good too, plus you get a lot of bonus tracks.

I like them too (I discovered Bowie 70's albums on these Ryko reissues). The exclusive bonus tracks make them still valuable. But as I said if you listen to the original vinyl albums the Ryko's pale in comparison. Albums like Scary Monsters or Heroes just don't sound right on Ryko reissues.

On the recent reissues I've heard, only Ziggy Stardust on vinyl from the 2012 vinyl/DVD combo reissue and Station To Station from the 2010 box set impressed me.
The Ziggy Stardust 2012 vinyl is possibly the best version ever.

The 2015 CD box set is nice but the albums have quite a loud sound though kept to a reasonable level (ie not brickwalled). I've not heard the same box set on vinyl.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 03:34

A cool article with Bowie content at the end. . .

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 3, 2016 06:29

I listened to The Next Day today in the car on a long ride...what a gift that was in retrospect...

Date: February 3, 2016 09:32

Rip This
I listened to The Next Day today in the car on a long ride...what a gift that was in retrospect...

thumbs up

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 3, 2016 10:52

Rip This

Yes, I remember saying at the time it was a keeper and I think time has verified that. Dusted off once a year or so it always sounds mighty fine.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 16:49

yes

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 4, 2016 17:57

Ironic that Mick saw little at all of Bowie the last 10 years or so.
This, despite the fact that they shared the same Business Managers and of course Mick (and Keith) do spend quite a bit of time in NYC.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 4, 2016 18:05

Bowie appreciated those who worked for him and left money to staff members. According to this article we haven't heard the last of his music either.

[yournewswire.com]

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: February 4, 2016 20:57

Nice to read that! An estate of 100 million-wow.

Date: February 4, 2016 21:10

mgguy

Bowie's actual net worth has been estimated at closer to $200 million, and likely he gave away millions anonymously to various charities.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: February 4, 2016 22:41

TornAndFried
mgguy

Bowie's actual net worth has been estimated at closer to $200 million, and likely he gave away millions anonymously to various charities.

another impressive part to an impressive figure who will remain impressive for the ages.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 6, 2016 11:04

Random anecdote:
I'm laying on the couch reading while a Lifetime movie is on TV. There's a scene in some kind of cabin and on the shelf of vinyl records there sits Bowie's Low album cover. It struck me as funny because Lifetime movies are hyper generic and so the sight of Bowie struck me as the most real and alive thing in the movie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 11:07 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 7, 2016 12:43

More news from the U.K. Album Chart :-

Blackstar has fallen one place to #2, whilst Bowie's 2002 compilation, The Best Of Bowie, has climbed to #1 for the first time, after an incredible 301 weeks in the chart. The release's original chart-run only resulted in a #11 chart-placing. I do wonder if there are many, if any, releases that have reached top-spot so long after their chart debut. In this particular album's case, it's taken almost fourteen years. I know the Stones finally achieved a #1 placing with Exile on Main St., but I was discounting that on the basis of it being a deluxe re-release, etc.

Mick Jagger pays special TV tribute to David Bowie
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 7, 2016 00:00

"Rocker Mick Jagger has made last-minute changes to his 1970s TV rock drama Vinyl to include a tribute to David Bowie .

Sir Mick’s old pal was due to feature in an episode of the new sex, drugs and rock ’n roll saga, which starts next week.

But it has been hastily reworked and renamed in honour of Bowie, who died last month aged 69.

Now the episode will be called Memoriam and will include a personal tribute from the Rolling Stone frontman at the end.

Vinyl tells the story of the US record business in the early 1970s and lookalike actor Noah Bean plays Bowie during his Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs phase.

Read more: Is Bowie having last laugh from beyond the grave?

Sir Mick, 72, revealed: “The series is a way to honour him. His presence in the series will be a way to pay our respects, a positive way to remember and honour his life."

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Re: Mick Jagger pays special TV tribute to David Bowie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 7, 2016 00:15

Good on Mick.
I hope I'll be able to see it somehow.

Love & light to David Bowie, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 7, 2016 00:36

This will be broadcast in the U.K on sky Atlantic channel starting Monday 15th February.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 7, 2016 00:57

Fair play to Mick.

Simply Mr Bowie comes across as a very nice guy, and Mick does see that.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 9, 2016 20:31

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 07:40 by colonial.

Date: February 10, 2016 09:00

colonial
David Bowie the archetype of cool a gifted genius

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home