Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 28, 2016 01:16

Essay about Bowie written by Bono, from the current issue of Rolling Stone.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 06:43 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 28, 2016 01:22

One of my friends sent me a photo of the cover of the National Enquirer a few days ago... guess he realized I was still bummed out... they claim Bowie died of AIDS. The headline next to it? 'O.J. Simpson Was Bill Cosby's Drug Dealer'. Seeing that really gave me a good laugh. If it's in print, it's just gotta be true!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 28, 2016 02:45

MisterDDDD
From Rolling Stone
[www.rollingstone.com]

Mick Jagger reflects on his 40-plus year friendship with the singer

I can't remember how I met David — which is weird — but we used to hang out in London a lot in the early days of the Seventies; we were at a lot of parties together. He would come around my house and play me all his music — I remember him playing me different mixes of "Jean Genie," which was really kind of Stones-y, in a way. That's what I enjoyed: watching him develop as an artist.

There was always an exchange of information within our friendship. And I suppose there was always an element of competition between us, but it never felt overwhelming. When he'd come over, we'd talk about our work — a new guitarist, a new way of writing, style and photographers. We had a lot in common in wanting to do big things onstage — using interesting designs, narratives, personalities.

He'd always look at my clothes labels. When he would see me, he'd give me a hug, and I could feel him going up behind the collar of my shirt to see what I was wearing. He used to copy me sometimes, but he'd be very honest about it. If he took one of your moves, he'd say, "That's one of yours — I just tried it." I didn't mind sharing things with him, because he would share so much with me — it was a two-way street.

We were very close in the Eighties in New York. We'd hang out a lot and go out to dance clubs. We were very influenced by the New York downtown scene back then. That's why "Let's Dance" is my favorite song of his — it reminds me of those times, and it has such a great groove. He had a chameleon-like ability to take on any genre, always with a unique take, musically and lyrically.

My favorite memory was the time we did "Dancing in the Street" together. We had to record the song and film the video all in one day. We walked straight from the studio onto the set of the video. At the end of the day, we were saying, "See, it can be done! Why are spending years in the studio?" We enjoyed camping it up. The video is hilarious to watch. It was the only time we really collaborated on anything, which is really stupid when you think about it.

Later on, he bought a house in Mustique, where I have a place, and we used to hang out in the West Indies. David was so relaxed there, and so kind to everyone. He did a lot of work making health care better for local people; I was doing school charity work, and he would come with me there and do story time with the local kids. It was really sweet.

I know David stopped touring around 2004 after having some health problems. After that, he kind of vanished, both from my life and the stage, so to speak, until he came back with an album that was a very interesting piece. It's really sad when somebody leaves and you haven't spoken to them for a long while. You wish you'd done this; you wish you'd done that. But that's what happens. Strange things happen in life.

As told to Patrick Doyle

One of the most introspective and warm Mick interviews I've read, especially that last paragraph. He obviously felt very close to David Bowie. Strange things do indeed happen in life. <3

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 28, 2016 02:49

agreed...very introspective and touching.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 28, 2016 03:23

Nice write-up about Bowie's 10 last years from Rolling Stone :

Inside David Bowie's Final Years: How Bowie stepped away – and came roaring back

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2016 04:10

TornAndFried
with sssoul
treaclefingers
yes, i agree. what a ridiculous thing to postulate.

It's definitely ridiculous - and quite uncharitable - to postulate something like that on the basis of zero evidence.
Just because someone in your family has suffered from mental illness doesn't mean you do,
or that it's something that would suddenly incapacitate someone when they're in their 50s.

Love and light to the man, and thanks and praises.

It's not an entirely improbable situation that Bowie may have experienced some type of mental illness in his later years. Perhaps not such an extreme condition as schizophrenia as his half-brother suffered from, but possibly some degree of depression and even mild paranoia. I recently read an interview with one of his friends who mentioned that in the period following his heart attack in 2004, Bowie was "in a dark place." Perhaps this was a normal reaction to his feeling of mortality following his health scare, but it was certainly unusual for him to make such an abrupt and complete and withdrawal from performing and making pubic appearances over the next decade. It's hard to speculate the reasons behind his almost obsessive need for privacy and reclusive behavior based on such scant evidence. Many of his friends and musical associates (including Mick Jagger) say they completely lost touch with him over the past decade, which seems to suggest something more than just a strong need for privacy and security.

It's not entirely impossible...just like suggestion some of us have a mental condition (which I'm quite sure IS the case) but we actually really don't have a clue and the suggestion was made because the brother has a mental condition. But that idea is based on zero evidence, so why even offer it? It adds nothing to the conversation.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 28, 2016 05:16

[www.economist.com]

A musical child

I was grateful for the insight and sensitivity in your obituary of David Bowie (January 16th). But it is not true that he “grew up as David Jones, a sharp-toothed kid from dull suburban Bromley whose parents held no aspirations for him”. David’s parents, especially his father, “John” Jones, encouraged him from the time he was a toddler. His mother, Peggy, spoke often of our deceased grandfather, who was a bandmaster in the army and played many wind instruments. David’s first instruments, a plastic saxophone, a tin guitar and a xylophone, were given to him before he was an adolescent. He also owned a record player when few children had one.

When he was 11 we danced like possessed elves to the records of Bill Haley, Fats Domino and Elvis Presley. David’s father took him to meet singers and other performers preparing for the Royal Variety Performance. I remember one afternoon in the late 1950s when David was introduced to Dave King, Alma Cogan and Tommy Steele. “My son is going to be an entertainer, too” he said. “Aren’t you, David?” “Yes, Daddy,” David squeaked in his childish high-pitched voice, his face flushed and beaming with pride.

Although Uncle John never lived to see David’s huge success, he was convinced it would become a reality. My beloved David fulfilled and exceeded all his father’s dreams.

KRISTINA AMADEUS
Cousin of David Bowie
Romney Marsh, Kent

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 05:44

Just listened to Blackstar again, 2 more times. That's a total of 3 times since I bought it. Someone posted (Bono?) that it is art. That sounds almost correct. But it is not an album I can enjoy. Sorry, it's a dull as batsh*t.

So genuinely and terribly sorry he's gone and all, but I can't stand to listen to it. And that is the point of music, isn't it?

Back in the rack it goes.

Rod

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 06:27

TornAndFried
Essay about Bowie by Bono from Rolling Stone.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Bono is "tuned in". He sent this poem to DB on his bday, a few days before he died. You can see the fear of death and uncertainty of what's next in David's vids. I hope it created a change in his soul for DB.

Love and fear / Michael Leunig
There are only two feelings, Love and fear:
There are only two languages, Love and fear:
There are only two activities, Love and fear:
There are only two motives, two procedures,
two frameworks, two results, Love and fear,
Love and fear.

Amen, brother.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 08:03

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 15:03 by stones2000.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2016 08:17

Straycat13
He seemed paranoid and fearful of death in his last days.

You were around him in his last days?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 21:34

I doubt a man fearful and paranoid of death would embrace making an entire album and videos about his own death. Actually, from all accounts he was extremely brave and inspired from his impending death.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 28, 2016 22:32

Carlos Alomar has a nice piece honoring Bowie on his website.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 28, 2016 22:54

whitem8
I doubt a man fearful and paranoid of death would embrace making an entire album and videos about his own death. Actually, from all accounts he was extremely brave and inspired from his impending death.
As more time goes by, I'm so happy we have what we have. I still don't like that album, but thats never mattered. The fact that it really was such an orchestrated goodbye feels so proper and respectful. He knew what it would mean for people and even if he just came out with The Next Day, we needed more. We needed something more recent to really say "wow." And to know that he was making this, in spite of his death, as a goodbye, for his fans, I don't think there's anything you can say about it except what an inspiration he is.

As sad as I am about his death, still even weeks later, I'm still happy we got videos and an album and just one more chance to see the great man in action.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2016 06:39

whitem8

thumbs up

Date: January 29, 2016 16:40

RollingFreak
whitem8
As more time goes by, I'm so happy we have what we have. I still don't like that album, but thats never mattered. The fact that it really was such an orchestrated goodbye feels so proper and respectful. He knew what it would mean for people and even if he just came out with The Next Day, we needed more. We needed something more recent to really say "wow." And to know that he was making this, in spite of his death, as a goodbye, for his fans, I don't think there's anything you can say about it except what an inspiration he is.

As sad as I am about his death, still even weeks later, I'm still happy we got videos and an album and just one more chance to see the great man in action.

Totally agree RollingFreak and well put.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 29, 2016 19:39

Just because celebs choose to lower their public profile some people assume they have become a recluse! In reality Bowie soaked all that the New York cultural scene could offer and like Mick had a range of interests which as a man of wealth and taste he dipped into as he wished. He seems to have been out and about a great deal in his latter years,, far more than Keith, for example who in a recent radio interview complained that he can't go to the cinema anymore 'cos of all the hassle. Maybe he needs to dispense with the bandana and/or hat, dark glasses and a team of bodyguards which must only bring attention to himself.
On the subject of 'mental illness', I have always thought that for the last 35 plus years Bowie has handled his life and career as good as anyone in the business. Sure, he was into drugs and to a degree, drink, but compared to many of his peers his intake was relatively controlled.
I was never a great Bowie fan..but thanks to Mr Spotify, I have listened to his final album and it is an excellent piece of work. Not an easy listen, but then neither was the Lennon Primal Scream album, which I still feel is up with the very best.
Bowie will be greatly missed...he wasnt the "last great original" as JL once said...but he was an original...who took chances and trod his own turf. Bless him.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 22:13

Bowie's new album is brilliant, and a great adventure to the ears. I think it is much better than Next Day. And a thrilling passionate statement from a true artist. Love it!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 30, 2016 01:05

whitem8
Bowie's new album is brilliant, and a great adventure to the ears. I think it is much better than Next Day. And a thrilling passionate statement from a true artist. Love it!

I just listened to Next Day for 1st time in awhile. It is actually quite good. It & Blackstar are 2 very different works. Both worthy of repeated listens & purchasing. I listened to the bonus tracks disc also. Most of that would be on any other artist's main disc. I'm still playing a lot of Bowie since his passing. He left quite a legacy & there is so much variety. I'm going to get the Rolling Stone mag tribute issue. Supposed to be out today.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 30, 2016 22:47

jlowe
Bowie will be greatly missed...he wasnt the "last great original" as JL once said...
but he was an original...who took chances and trod his own turf. Bless him.

Nicely put, jlowe.
As you say Blackstar isn't an easy listen but it's full of beauty.
Thanks and praises to the man - love and light and thanks and praises

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 31, 2016 00:34

I find BlackStar to be an easy listen because it's a great David Bowie release, period. All of his great albums are sooooo good!!!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 31, 2016 10:45

From [www.billboard.com] :

"David Bowie wanted his ashes scattered in Bali "in accordance with the Buddhist rituals," and he left most of his estate to his two children and his widow, the supermodel Iman, according to his will filed Friday (Jan. 29) in Manhattan."

[www.independent.co.uk] · [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 31, 2016 11:00

whitem8
i agree but mostly on the lead track. The song blackstar is his best since aahes or subterreneans. Its one of his best songs if not The best. Fantastic.

Date: January 31, 2016 14:16

The track Blackstar is indeed breathtaking

Maindefender
I find BlackStar to be an easy listen because it's a great David Bowie release, period.

... Saying it's not an easy listen doesn't mean I find it ungreat. It's demanding. It's also rewarding.

At the same time, it's not an easy listen because it's hard for me to hear him singing about dying.
Every time I read the title of this thread something in me rebels - David Bowie can't be dead.

Sorry. I shouldn't post this. Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: January 31, 2016 14:26

with sssoul

Olly
When people talk of this, are they referring to musical styles, or simply image (clothes, hairstyles, hair colours)?

They're talking about personas like Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, the Duke, etc, which Bowie explicitly took on.
He performed "as" those entities - Ziggy Stardust isn't just the name of a song.
He did whole shows as those entities. He sometimes interviewed as those entities...

Do you have any documented examples of this?

I'd be interested to see the differences between interviews.

Olly.

Date: January 31, 2016 14:37

Olly dear, I'm glad you're interested! If I were to google that for you,
I'd check for Ziggy Stardust interviews, Thin White Duke interviews, Bowie talking about living with Ziggy -
that sort of thing. But I reckon you can google it yourself, so I shall let you do that.
Knowledge is in the search :E

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: January 31, 2016 19:48

Olly
with sssoul

Olly
When people talk of this, are they referring to musical styles, or simply image (clothes, hairstyles, hair colours)?

They're talking about personas like Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, the Duke, etc, which Bowie explicitly took on.
He performed "as" those entities - Ziggy Stardust isn't just the name of a song.
He did whole shows as those entities. He sometimes interviewed as those entities...

Do you have any documented examples of this?

I'd be interested to see the differences between interviews.

Dear Olly, I don't know about whether he became these song personas in interviews. But he certainly could be startlingly many-faceted.

Compare his 1974 Russell Harty interview with the later one with the same interviewer. Then try the Dick Cavett Show - that's very intriguing. Later on in the 80s he did "affable bloke". He did fey and delicate, haughty and cold equally well. I was/am profoundly in love with his work!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 1, 2016 00:58

with sssoul
The track Blackstar is indeed breathtaking

Maindefender
I find BlackStar to be an easy listen because it's a great David Bowie release, period.

... Saying it's not an easy listen doesn't mean I find it ungreat. It's demanding. It's also rewarding.

At the same time, it's not an easy listen because it's hard for me to hear him singing about dying.
Every time I read the title of this thread something in me rebels - David Bowie can't be dead.

Sorry. I shouldn't post this. Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

It's all good sssoul.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 1, 2016 02:11

I picked up a bunch of the 1999 remasters yesterday for half price @ Barnes & Noble. I had the Ryko stuff. They sound real good. "Low" & "Heroes" are stupendous. "Let's Dance" is pretty mighty, too.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 1, 2016 03:24

crholmstrom
I picked up a bunch of the 1999 remasters yesterday for half price @ Barnes & Noble. I had the Ryko stuff. They sound real good. "Low" & "Heroes" are stupendous. "Let's Dance" is pretty mighty, too.

Which albums did you pick up at B&N? How does the sound of the 1999 remasters compare to that of the Rykodiscs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-01 04:45 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home