Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Date: January 12, 2016 18:26

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 12, 2016 18:27

A friend of mine who go's to Sunny Afternoon, the show about The Kinks quite regular, put this on her FB page, about the tribute from Ray Davies to David Bowie at the end of the show last night.

''Ray came on stage at the end of last night's performance to say a few words about his friend, David Bowie. He told us how they'd first met when David was playing with The Manish Boys and, even then, he could see that he had great talent. Ray recalled the time they performed Waterloo Sunset together on stage, each of them trying to imitate the other. He ended by performing the last couple of verses of Waterloo Sunset with the band, singing alternate lead with Ryan (who was playing Ray last night) whilst the audience sang the "sha la la" bits. It was a lovely gesture and a privilege to be there to experience it. ''

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 14:24 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 12, 2016 18:34

TornAndFried
Great interview with Cameron Crowe from Playboy in 1976. Bowie mentions Mick Jagger several times and gives very candid answers about his sexuality and drug use and talks about how he would like to make his death a sort of performance art.

[www.theuncool.com]

Some great laughs here as he gets into his bisexuality and other matters. Candid indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 18:35 by triceratops.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 12, 2016 18:55

Date: January 12, 2016 19:07

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 12, 2016 19:13

Bowie was the first artist ever to cover a Springsteen composition, recording a version of "Growin' Up" (with Ronnie Wood on lead guitar) in 1973 during the sessions for his album Diamond Dogs. It remained unreleased, however, until the 1990 reissue of his all-covers album Pin Ups.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.backstreets.com]

- Bowie, Sciaky, and Springsteen, Sigma Sound Studio, Philadelphia, 1974. Photograph by John Kalodner

DAVID BOWIE, 1947-2016
In the midst of sad news regarding the death of Rock and Roll Hall of Famer David Bowie, it's worth remembering his significant and longstanding E Street connections. Bowie was the first artist ever to cover a Springsteen composition, recording a version of "Growin' Up" (with Ronnie Wood on lead guitar) in 1973 during the sessions for his album Diamond Dogs. It remained unreleased, however, until the 1990 reissue of his all-covers album Pin Ups.

Bowie recorded "Growin' Up" nine months after seeing his first Springsteen concert at New York's legendary club Max's Kansas City on February 5, 1973. In some of his mid-1980s interviews, Bowie recalled seeing Springsteen and the E Street Band perform that evening; as he said on WNEW in 1986: "I thought it was another Dylan copyist, when he came on and started his acoustic set. Then the band came on, and I think it was probably the best rock band I've ever seen in my life, for about a half an hour.... I went out and bought his album, Asbury Park, and I thought, this is a great songwriter." Click here to view radio.com's animated "minimation" derived from that WNEW interview.

In late November 1974, one year after recording "Growin' Up," Bowie was busy at Philadelphia's famous Sigma Sound Studios working on various tracks for what would become his Young Americans album, including a version of Springsteen's "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City" featuring Roy Bittan on piano. (Bittan later would work with Bowie on several more recordings; see sidebar.)

As the recording session approached midnight, legendary Philly radio personality Ed Sciaky, his wife Judy and their friend Bruce Springsteen arrived at Sigma Sound as invited guests of producer Tony Visconti. Despite Bowie already having seen Springsteen in concert, this was the first time the musicians had a face-to-face meeting.

- Bowie, Sciaky, and Springsteen, Sigma Sound Studio, Philadelphia, 1974. Photograph by John Kalodner

Brucebase has extensive archived materials documenting this in-studio meeting, including more photos and a reprint of an article that appeared in the now-defunct Philly independent newspaper The Drummer. While The Boss and The Thin White Duke hung out and chatted between takes for quite some time, Springsteen never got to hear Bowie's version of "Saint," as Bowie felt it still needed more work. The track remained unreleased until 1989, when it first was released on Bowie's Sound + Vision box set.

On a 1979 BBC Radio One Stars Special, Bowie stated that after hearing Springsteen's original recording of "Saint" on Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, he "never rode the subway again... That really scared the living ones out of me, that."

Roy Bittan on David Bowie
"What a loss. A true original. It was my honor to record with him over the years, especially his Thin White Duke period. In the studio, he would point in a direction and then let you be interpretive. He was always looking for a surprise and an addition he hadn't thought of. A real gentleman and one our most brilliant. I will miss him greatly."
— as told to Chris Phillips. In addition to playing on Bowie's version of "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City," Roy Bittan appears on 1976's Station to Station and 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps).

Bowie's version also appeared on the 1997 benefit tribute CD One Step Up/Two Steps Back: The Songs of Bruce Springsteen, where Bowie recalled his 1974 meeting with Springsteen in his witty liner notes: "Springsteen came down to hear what we were doing with his stuff. He was very shy. I remember sitting in the corridor with him, talking about his lifestyle, which was very Dylanesque — you know, moving from town to town with a guitar on his back, all that kind of thing. Anyway, he didn't like what we were doing, I remember that. At least, he didn't express much enthusiasm. I guess he must have thought it was all kind of odd. I was in another universe at the time. I've got this extraordinarily strange photograph of us all — I look like I'm made out of wax."

And speaking of Bowie's famously sly wit, four decades after seeing his first Springsteen show and recording his first Springsteen cover, his The Next Day Extra EP featured the song "Born in a UFO" and a rather familiar-sounding chorus. For old times' sake, Major Tom floated by E Street one more time.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 12, 2016 19:17

This has always been my favorite live track of his since his "return" to form with Outside and Earthling. A 2003 version of Bring Me the Disco King:

[www.youtube.com]

There's tributes all over the web, yet I keep returning to this thread with my fellow IORR's for consolation, solace and reflection.

Date: January 12, 2016 19:25

Wood, Bowie and Iggy Pop

crica 1978

David Bowie and Bobby Keys at a jam session at Peter Sellers' 50th Birthday Party

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 19:37 by exilestones.

Date: January 12, 2016 19:37

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 12, 2016 19:49

exilestones

Any more photos you have please post them. Great photos!

Date: January 12, 2016 19:52

Photos by Photo by Frank Micelotta/ImageDirect and BERTRAND GUAY/AFP/Getty Images

Date: January 12, 2016 19:58

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 12, 2016 20:04

Rollin' Stoner

Nice pic but it's fake, unfortunately.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 12, 2016 20:41

The Joker
If you want to go back in a world where Bowie is still alive, go on his website [www.davidbowie.com]

They/ he did'nt bother to mention his death. .A peculiar detail.This is cool

It's on the website under News, but without a headline. Click on January 10 2016 and you'll see a brief statement.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 12, 2016 20:58

"I’m deeply saddened by such a sudden shock. David was a true original in
everything he did and, along with many others, I’m going to miss him.
Another goodbye to another good friend."
- Keith Richards

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 21:01 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:05

BowieStone
- Keith Richards

thumbs up

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:24

David has just left ,who is next ????

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:36

latcho
David has just left ,who is next ????

The next one............

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:46

Just found out that David did 3 gigs in my home town area on Ziggy Stardust Tour '72 at Toby Jug, Kingston Poly and Ebisham Hall, Epsom .
Bootleg around of Kingston gig as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 13:30 by crawdaddy.

Date: January 12, 2016 22:20

I only saw him ones in '76 not sure the name of the tour....but he played "Station To Station" .........

Just checked out on Google...................

Isolar I Tour
13 May or 14 May 1976 Rotterdam Netherlands Ahoy Rotterdam

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:36

Rest in peace Bowie-you were a trail blazer for sure.

My hometown of Rochester, NY will (unfortunately), have the distinction of having busted you in the mid 1970's for a drug charge which produced that notorious mug shot:

[www.thesmokinggun.com]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:48

BowieStone
- Keith Richards

thumbs upthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:56

Interesting observation from Reddit:
Bowie's "Lazarus" video was released FOUR DAYS before his death. If you Google Lazarus, you get "Lazarus of Bethany, also known as Saint Lazarus or Lazarus of the Four Days" https://www.reddit.com/r/DavidBowie/comments/40n35m/bowies_lazarus_video_was_released_four_days/

It makes me wonder, did Bowie end his own life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 22:57 by Boognish.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 12, 2016 23:05

The last pictures taken of David Bowie published on his birthday, January 8th 2016.
Two days before his death.
Photos by Jimmy King.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 23:09

Incredibly sad but great picsthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 12, 2016 23:17

If anyone wants to read another thing, here's what I wrote on Facebook this morning (with some Stone references). -DE

This will be rather long.
I’ve never been quite able to explain to others, or even myself really, why it is David Bowie had such an effect on me. InDEed, the guy for well over 40 years had a hold on me not unlike Dracula’s spell over me as his Renfield. I know I’m not alone in this sentiment – I’ve been lucky enough to meet so many others over the past several years with the same affliction.
I thought I had maybe put my finger on it once, at one of his famed ‘Roseland shows’ in NY. Here, was the living version of some fantasy version of myself. Oh, to be that talented. That famous, that creative, that good looking, that charismatic, that artistic, that adored, that glamorous, that intelligent, that mysterious. That rich! But even that wasn’t quite it.
In reading so many posts since yesterday’s horrible news, so many of them start with things like “when I was 14…”, people trying to explain their grief – many almost apologizing ‘I never even met the man, but feel like I lost my best friend.” That was just one of Bowie’s gifts I guess. He maDE you feel like not only did you know him, but that he knew you. My Mom (RIP) used to say Sinatra had the gift, that every person in the audience felt he was singing just to you. Likewise, when Bowie stared down at an audience with those other worldly eyes of his, and that smile (!), everyone in the 1st few rows went home that night saying “he looked right at me!”
I’ve loved rock music since I was a kid of about 5, when the Beatles and the Stones 1st hit the scene. I still do. And I still have the same enthusiasm for so many great acts: The B-52’s, Zeppelin, Bruce, so many more. But Bowie was different. I would always say, ‘there’s Bowie, and then there’s everyone else.’ The one constant in my life – even when he wasn’t around much in recent years. Oh the timing of all this! He JUST released a brilliant new album! I listened on headphones Saturday night, marveling once again at the genius of it. While The Next Day DElighted us simply with his coming back a couple years ago, this new album Blackstar was Bowie once again creating something totally new, unlike anything he or anybody has done. His voice, that incredible voice – sounding fantastic. Amazing. Maybe he’ll do some shows!
I never gave up hope that he would give us one more show. One song even. How much a ticket? A thousand? Done.
Last time I saw David Bowie, I took a bus to NY for the start of the Highline Festival. DB had started this festival (that he was supposed to play at, but then pulled out), but he put on some silent Spanish films at a small movie theater downtown. I sat a couple rows in front of him, spending a lot time, fixing my coat so I’d have a reason to turn around and see him sitting there, eating popcorn. Later on I turned around, and he and his small group had left. I think somebody beat me to grabbing the popcorn box. Later, super fans Simone and Lady of the Lake and I went to see the band The Polyphonic Spree, who had opened some of his Reality tour shows. The rumor was DB was going to join them. He didn’t. So how DEvoted a fan was/am I? I spent 4 hours on a Greyhound bus, each way, to catch a glimpse of the guy eating some popcorn! And the really scary thing? I know people who have gone through more, for less.
I was lucky enough to see David Bowie in concert, TV appearances and other things almost 60 times, dating back to 1974. I was very fortunate to ‘meet’ him several times – meet, usually meaning many hours spent outside stage doors, for a quick autograph, or a handshake, surrounDEd by other crazed fans like myself. I even got to exchange a few words with him a few times. Usually things like, “You again? Security!”
I’m thankful for all that. I’m so grateful for the lifetime of amazing music, films and memories. I’m especially thankful for all the incredible people I’ve met through BowieNet and here on FB, due to a mutual love and admiration for this incredible man. Many of whom I got to see again in NY just a few short weeks ago at the premier of the play Lazarus.
David Bowie is and was the greatest artist of all time as far as I’m concerned, and the coolest guy to ever walk this, or any other planet. Yesterday hit me really hard – and I know it’s probably the same to anyone who might be reading this.
I could go on and on. Yesterday should have been an exciting day – I got my passport back with my attached Visa to Brazil, for a planned upcoming trip to Rio next month to see the Rolling Stones. Instead, it feels like the day the music died. I know that’s not how he wanted it. That’s why he gave us one last great work to remember him by. And I can’t end this without sending prayers and thoughts to Iman, Lexi, Duncan and those that truly knew and loved David Jones.
So I’m thankful for all David Bowie has given us. But right now? I’m @#$%&’ DEvastated.

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: January 12, 2016 23:23

Boognish
Interesting observation from Reddit:
Bowie's "Lazarus" video was released FOUR DAYS before his death. If you Google Lazarus, you get "Lazarus of Bethany, also known as Saint Lazarus or Lazarus of the Four Days" https://www.reddit.com/r/DavidBowie/comments/40n35m/bowies_lazarus_video_was_released_four_days/

It makes me wonder, did Bowie end his own life?

Wow, this is indeed a very spooky thing.

Just found this comment on tumblr today:

"But look at how he died! This is the most David Bowie thing he has ever done! He released a massively popular TEN MINUTE single, released an album on his 69th birthday to rave reviews that had everyone talking about how he is still a genius while he was still around to hear it, and he made a video called @#$%& “Lazarus” to blow our little minds after he died. That is the most baller, epic, dramatic, conceptual death ever. He turned his passing into a kind of installation art, and we all get to take part in it. It is increadibly sad that he is gone, but what a perfect way to go. There couldn’t be a more perfect end to the life and career of David Bowie."

Still very hard to cope with it.

Date: January 12, 2016 23:29

DEmerson
If anyone wants to read another thing, here's what I wrote on Facebook this morning (with some Stone references). -DE
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ So I’m thankful for all David Bowie has given us. But right now? I’m @#$%&’ DEvastated.

Great post DEmerson I know what you feel................

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 12, 2016 23:43

One of the best pieces i've read in the last days about David Bowie. It's called Afterword by Stuart Berman.A great piece. It's on Pitchfork.

[pitchfork.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2016 00:38

Rollin' Stoner

I bought the Alladin Sane 8-track when I was about 13 in '76.
Finally saw him live at the US Festival '83 (a 3 day festival) as grand finale headliner - the one and only time I saw him.
My friends and I had partied ferociously in our rented RV, and hardly slept the entire three nights, so any memory of his set is a bit of a blur...good times. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home