Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Under My Thumb (New)
Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: December 14, 2015 21:41

DandelionPowderman
MisterAccapella
Noticeably influenced by the Four Tops hits "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) and "It's the Same Old Song" that were hits in 1965.

How?

[www.youtube.com]

It's all about that bass:video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 14, 2015 21:42

Such an amazing track. So carnal, so slinky, so perfect in every way. Brian's marimbas create a hushed, mesmerizing ambience. And Bill's fuzz bass generates an irresistible groove.

Simply magical.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-19 03:36 by drewmaster.

Date: December 14, 2015 21:45

MisterAccapella
DandelionPowderman
MisterAccapella
Noticeably influenced by the Four Tops hits "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) and "It's the Same Old Song" that were hits in 1965.

How?

[www.youtube.com]

It's all about that bass:video: [www.youtube.com]

Melody-wise, no. Rhythm-wise, perhaps.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 14, 2015 22:17

Hmmm, it sure does have some similarities to It's The Same Old Song.
It's a superb track though, as is Same Old Song. Possibly the stand-out on the UK Aftermath. Top marks to Brian for the marimba but everything works well on it from the composition through the arrangement to the finished product.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 22:36

All rock songs are related to one another. It's a very simple musical form. Not a hanging matter.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 14, 2015 22:52

Probably their greatest mid-60's recording to not be released as a single. It's certainly a masterful performance and a brilliant piece of song-writing from the ,then infant, Jagger-Richards partnership. An atmospheric, brooding number, oozing 1960's London 'cool' and all that. It reeks of Soho and Carnaby Street. Terrific!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 14, 2015 22:56

From Wiki:

After "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" hit #1 in June 1965, The Four Tops' former label, Columbia Records, wanting to cash in on the group's success, re-released the Tops' 1960 Columbia single "Ain't That Love". Berry Gordy ordered that a new Four Tops single had to be released within a day's time.

At 3 o'clock that afternoon, the Holland brothers and Lamont Dozier wrote "It's the Same Old Song". Four Tops tenor Abdul "Duke" Fakir recalled:

"Lamont Dozier and I were both a little tipsy and he was changing the channels on the radio. He said, 'It sounds like the same old song.' And then he said, "Wait a minute." So he took "I Can't Help Myself" and reversed it using the same chord changes. The next day, we went to the studio and recorded it, and then they put it on acetate and released to radio stations across the country." ”
The engineering team worked around the clock perfecting the single's mix and making hand-cut vinyl records so that Berry Gordy's sister Esther in the Artist Development department could critique them and select the best ones for single release. By 3 P.M. the next day, 1500 copies of "It's the Same Song" had been delivered to radio DJs across the country, and the song eventually made it to number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number two on the R&B chart.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home