Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 19:31

Sorry, it took place 30 years after. Mistyped. Corrected now.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 27, 2015 19:46

erad
GasLightStreet
Turner68
crholmstrom
It was pretty good. Better than the last 3 certainly. I'd say tied for third best with "Return of the Jedi". "Empire" best, 1st one second. Most of the cast good but I thought the villian was a bit of a fop. Hopefully that situation will improve. Thought the end was the best part. A worthy effort overall.

I agree with your ranking actually. Empire is the undisputed champion.

I know some kids, however, who like the first 3. I think that the original trilogy comes off as too dated for millennials. Something for everyone to like I guess.

Millennials know nothing about quality and in this case have no idea about art. In fact, the only thing they know is how to turn their phone on. If it's not appable then it's pointless.
Really? This is such a stereotype and sweeping statement. I'll have you know that I'm 25 and far prefer the OT to the prequels, most people that I know my age do in fact. I frankly find your statement a bit insulting.

If everyone my age knew nothing about quality and art (which in itself is a very subjective thing) then what am I doing posting on a Stones board?

So you are an exception. It's good that you're insulted, because that means you know there's truth to it. All the beards I see are too interested in their phones and ugly clothes. You've stated you are not. Good. Plus 1 for millennials.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 27, 2015 19:51

Now for a review. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. That might be generous.

I'm somewhat disappointed in this movie. First off, it should have been longer, at least three hours or possibly more. Everything felt incredibly rushed. This movie needed a deep story-line and it didn't happen. It had more of a fast-track reunion atmosphere with more emphasis on the appearance of the original characters with a cheap rehashed story, rather than some actual serious scripting with worthy dialogue.

On first view, I thought the writing was weak with the character development empty. The special effects and graphics were brilliant. Harrison Ford was borderline terrible. He obviously has aged and his acting for this type of movie has suffered. This story was poorly written for him. Yet, the Chewbacca character was exactly as he has always been, granted costumes really don't age. A much better script would have rescued Ford and cemented his legacy.

Then the insertion of the diversity element. No problem at all with Finn character but trying to create the white woman, black man relationship seemed to be really pandering to millennial giddiness of racial utopia. Come on, to turn this into a overnight love affair super hero angle was really annoying. The script kept pushing this theme.

The plot was empty. The death star again with the fighter runs to save the universe?

The writing failed, the story was bad, and J.J. Abrams seemed to be in over his head beyond the action scenes. It had its moments but overall too much fluff brought the old saying into play "where's the beef."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-27 19:55 by The Sicilian.

Date: December 27, 2015 19:52

Maybe a second viewing will help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-27 19:53 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 27, 2015 20:36

4 out of 5 stars

I enjoyed it. Much better than the prequles, but doesn't quite live up to the legacy of the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back...About as good as Return of the Jedi.

Loved the new cast and seeing Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill back in their iconic roles was epic...Carrie Fisher seemed a little off...All and all a solid kickoff to the new trilogy, but I hope for a little more with Episodes 8 and 9.

P.S. This movie is a phenomenon. It has already made a billion dollars and is CRUSHING every box office record ever created. It is on pace to become the #1 domestic film of all time in the United States by the week of January 7th. Commercially Star Wars is the Beatles of the film world.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 20:42

Yeah, your review describes a very different movie from what I saw. I saw a very well crafted film, with very strong writing, good acting and finally good dialog. Additionally, amazing special effects. Finally, someone who knows how to utilize old school effects seamlessly with CGI. The story is a basic rehash of the first one, Star Wars a New Hope, but it works. It works because like history, it shows how stories repeat themselves. And this them of a rise of fascism is poignant and fits with even our current issues. I think you comment of diversity aspect of the relationship is very myopic, and actually, this writing was quite brave and innovative. In a film about a galaxy with a plethora of amazing life forms, the fact that a black/white relationship can cause controversy is very powerful. I mean why not an alien! Or a gay relationship? Bring it on! That is what science fiction is all about, pushing our emotions and imagination to the limit. I think this was one of the best Star Wars made and JJ saved the franchise.

Date: December 27, 2015 21:41

whitem8
Yeah, your review describes a very different movie from what I saw. I saw a very well crafted film, with very strong writing, good acting and finally good dialog. The story is a basic rehash of the first one, Star Wars a New Hope, but it works. It works because like history, it shows how stories repeat themselves. And this them of a rise of fascism is poignant and fits with even our current issues.

Seven Star Wars episodes in and I don't think viewers need a history lesson in cause and effect of war. Nor do we need the subliminal messages of current or past events. This is not the era of radio and newspapers. Tell us a story that we don't know or expect, It is a lazy script that lacks creative writing. It had its moments, and there were some very good things in it, but too many negatives. We all knew the special effects would be brilliant, and they were, but the movie is way more than effects and graphics. There is a story to be told and it needs more than two hours and fifteen minutes to tell 30 years of it. This one is a run to the bus (bank) story.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 27, 2015 22:02

While coincidence has always played a part in Star Wars (Vader built 3PO? Really?) TFA really pushes its luck to the extreme. Rey randomly meets BB-8, then Finn, then the Falcon, then Han Solo, then they happen to go meet an old friend of Han's who just happens to have Luke's light saber which he lost on Bespin, the saber triggers a vision which provides clues to Rey's past, then R2 happens to have the rest of the map that for some reason leads to Luke.

The First Order is too trigger happy, several times almost blowing up the droid they needed to get the map. The bad guy happens to be Han and Leia's kid, who has already committed cold blooded genocide, yet trusting old Han thinks he can talk him down (all while storm troopers watch, instead of just blowing Han away. Would they have shot "Ben" if he did give Han his weapon, hug and kiss, and agree to go with him?). Then comes the big show down, and Rey suddenly, with no training, takes out a guy who (albeit wounded) could Force push her, stop laser blasts, etc.

Driver was terrible, the new Emperor ("Snoke", give me a break) is laughable and not intimidating in the least.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 27, 2015 22:43

I've seen Star Wars - The Force Awakens in 3-D few days ago. Its truly a fanastic movie.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 27, 2015 22:56

Browsing through the comments on this thread, I am reminded of the quote: Opinions are like a**holes - everybody's got one.

About the movie, yeah, it harkens back to the first Star Wars movie in 1977 in that it's an origin story. It weaves the new with the old. Yet, it takes us to a place that's different with a strong self reliant woman as the main character, the emergent leader. The bad guys were kind of cardboard characters, underdeveloped, but so was Vader and or the Empire in the 1977 movie, IMHO.

It will be interesting to see where the next movie goes in terms of explaining Rae's background and embodiment of The Force, what happened with Luke, what role Finn will play in the overall story and Rae's life, the Oedipal complex that will haunt Han and Leia's son, Chewie and Rae's being a team, etc. So many plot lines left to explore.

Re the political aspects of the movie, the prior Star Wars flicks all contained political undertones. They all touched upon themes still being worked out around this world regarding freedom, choice, suppression, beliefs, control, etc., and the need for people to unite and stand up against what is wrong or bad.

And, now, having had my say for the moment, I remind y'all to go back and read the first thing I wrote in this comment.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 23:55

Just saw it for the second time in IMAX 3D yesterday. I absolutely love it, can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray and have it on the shelf next to 1-6.
Whoops, accidentally posted a spoiler for about 2 minutes in my comment before I immediately pulled it. I'm so sorry if anyone saw before seeing the movie sad smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 00:01 by stones2000.

Date: December 28, 2015 00:13

Spoiler: Han doesn't shoot first this time.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 28, 2015 00:52

Agree with everything The Sicilian said above. To summarize: Great special effects, mediocre script and weak storyline with too many plot holes, forgettable characters, wrong casting, not enough substance, tries to be too P.C., way too short for such a complex story. Decent comeback (compared to the last 3 clunkers) but falls far short of all the hype. If "Stars Wars" was a Stones album it would be "Steel Wheels"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 01:00 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 28, 2015 01:12

Does anyone know were the actual island, with Luke, in the final scene is located?

Date: December 28, 2015 01:27

swimtothemoon
Does anyone know were the actual island, with Luke, in the final scene is located?

[www.irishtimes.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2015 04:10

whitem8
Yeah, your review describes a very different movie from what I saw. I saw a very well crafted film, with very strong writing, good acting and finally good dialog. Additionally, amazing special effects. Finally, someone who knows how to utilize old school effects seamlessly with CGI. The story is a basic rehash of the first one, Star Wars a New Hope, but it works. It works because like history, it shows how stories repeat themselves. And this them of a rise of fascism is poignant and fits with even our current issues. I think you comment of diversity aspect of the relationship is very myopic, and actually, this writing was quite brave and innovative. In a film about a galaxy with a plethora of amazing life forms, the fact that a black/white relationship can cause controversy is very powerful. I mean why not an alien! Or a gay relationship? Bring it on! That is what science fiction is all about, pushing our emotions and imagination to the limit. I think this was one of the best Star Wars made and JJ saved the franchise.

Best Han Solo movie, with TESB second.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:01

dmay
About the movie, yeah, it harkens back to the first Star Wars movie in 1977 in that it's an origin story. It weaves the new with the old. Yet, it takes us to a place that's different with a strong self reliant woman as the main character, the emergent leader.

I really enjoyed it, but if you don't admit the plot was a rehash you're either in denial or haven't seen ANH that many times. It was the same exact movie with a facelift. If it weren't I wouldn't have been able to figure out plot points and twists 20-30 minutes in advance just by running through the events of ANH in my mind. I thought it was a really well-made film, just not original at all. What they didn't lift from the OT they lifted from the EU. There have been many Star Wars books and games that managed to come up with a completely new story and not just copy a film we've already seen. I'm just a little disappointed they couldn't do it with the movie.

As it stands, I prefer the continuation that they gave us in the Thrawn trilogy. So much more interesting than reliving EP IV again, and the end battle at the shipyards with the mole miners and hijacked ships was so much cooler than just building another Death Star.

Date: December 28, 2015 05:10

NoCode0680
dmay
About the movie, yeah, it harkens back to the first Star Wars movie in 1977 in that it's an origin story. It weaves the new with the old. Yet, it takes us to a place that's different with a strong self reliant woman as the main character, the emergent leader.

I really enjoyed it, but if you don't admit the plot was a rehash you're either in denial or haven't seen ANH that many times. It was the same exact movie with a facelift. If it weren't I wouldn't have been able to figure out plot points and twists 20-30 minutes in advance just by running through the events of ANH in my mind. I thought it was a really well-made film, just not original at all. What they didn't lift from the OT they lifted from the EU. There have been many Star Wars books and games that managed to come up with a completely new story and not just copy a film we've already seen. I'm just a little disappointed they couldn't do it with the movie.

As it stands, I prefer the continuation that they gave us in the Thrawn trilogy. So much more interesting than reliving EP IV again, and the end battle at the shipyards with the mole miners and hijacked ships was so much cooler than just building another Death Star.

note to bad guys, stop building a weakness in every mass weapon

Date: December 28, 2015 05:13

How does this Finn character walk onto the set after one mission as a storm trooper and start wielding a lightsaber like a seasoned Jedi? He also activates it initially like he carried one his entire life.

Just another tick in the poor directing column.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 28, 2015 05:17

I also got a kick out of the temper tantrums that Solos son through. Reminded me of the time I smashed my transistor radio after the StL Cardinals blew a game in the 9th inning. I was 12.

Date: December 28, 2015 05:29

DrPete
I also got a kick out of the temper tantrums that Solos son through. Reminded me of the time I smashed my transistor radio after the StL Cardinals blew a game in the 9th inning. I was 12.

He was all man compared to his Emo grandfather.

Date: December 28, 2015 05:38

The Sicilian
How does this Finn character walk onto the set after one mission as a storm trooper and start wielding a lightsaber like a seasoned Jedi? He also activates it initially like he carried one his entire life.

To be fair, he lost every lightsaber duel he fought. He wasn't portrayed as being very skilled with a lightsaber, just as being able to hold onto it and hold off enemies for a very short time. Also, maybe the activation switch on a lightsaber is very obvious. There isn't much reference to how much knowledge is commonly known about lightsabers and how to use them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 05:42 by stones2000.

Date: December 28, 2015 05:45

GasLightStreet
So you are an exception. It's good that you're insulted, because that means you know there's truth to it. All the beards I see are too interested in their phones and ugly clothes. You've stated you are not. Good. Plus 1 for millennials.

The millennials I know all prefer the OT to the PT. In fact their film tastes seem to be mostly 60's through 90's. Because they're kind of hipsters, and for whatever reason (I just happen to agree) are very cynical about the pop culture of their own generation and prefer "the old stuff". Except music, I have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to music. But when we talk about movies they want to hear stories about how I went to see whatever movie back during the 80's and 90's. When I tell them I saw movies like Return Of The Jedi and Batman in the theater, you'd think I told them I was at Woodstock.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 28, 2015 06:03

I have a question for all. What is,the function of the white armour suits that the Storm Troopers wear in the film? Besides making them easier to be seen and restricting movement it apparently offers no real protection from any type of weapons.

Date: December 28, 2015 06:23

TornAndFried
I have a question for all. What is,the function of the white armour suits that the Storm Troopers wear in the film? Besides making them easier to be seen and restricting movement it apparently offers no real protection from any type of weapons.

Like a lot of armor, they do provide some protection but not total. They won't stop direct blaster fire but will absorb the energy of glancing blows and less powerful weapons. Not every planet the Empire was trying to conquer or hold was as well armed as the Rebellion.

I believe there's also a psychological element. Both for the opposition and so the Stormtrooper at least feels a little bit protected. But basically the Empire/First Order doesn't value human life enough to really try and protect them. They try to give them a little bit of a fighting chance, but they're not going to spend too much on developing armor for cannon fodder.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 28, 2015 06:35

NoCode0680
TornAndFried

Like a lot of armor, they do provide some protection but not total. They won't stop direct blaster fire but will absorb the energy of glancing blows and less powerful weapons. Not every planet the Empire was trying to conquer or hold was as well armed as the Rebellion.

I believe there's also a psychological element. Both for the opposition and so the Stormtrooper at least feels a little bit protected. But basically the Empire/First Order doesn't value human life enough to really try and protect them. They try to give them a little bit of a fighting chance, but they're not going to spend too much on developing armor for cannon fodder.

I think it's time to remind you guys this is only a movie. grinning smiley

Date: December 28, 2015 06:38

Naturalust
NoCode0680
TornAndFried

I think it's time to remind you guys this is only a movie. grinning smiley

Maybe you need to be reminded the Stones are "just a band"?

Date: December 28, 2015 07:14

stones2000
The Sicilian

To be fair, he lost every lightsaber duel he fought. He wasn't portrayed as being very skilled with a lightsaber, just as being able to hold onto it and hold off enemies for a very short time. Also, maybe the activation switch on a lightsaber is very obvious. There isn't much reference to how much knowledge is commonly known about lightsabers and how to use them

To be fair, such a unique weapon is only used by Jedi or the Sith and not by stormtroopers. He handled it too well further dumbing down its aura.

Unless, he suddenly becomes Lando Calrissian's lost son in the next couple episodes.

Date: December 28, 2015 07:33

The Sicilian
stones2000
The Sicilian

To be fair, such a unique weapon is only used by Jedi or the Sith and not by stormtroopers. He handled it too well further dumbing down its aura.

Unless, he suddenly becomes Lando Calrissian's lost son in the next couple episodes.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but you sound a little irritated in this reply. I meant no disrespect to you or your opinion, I was only suggesting a possible explanation for what you were calling a sign of poor directing

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 08:04 by stones2000.

Date: December 28, 2015 07:36

The Sicilian
stones2000
The Sicilian

There's been a lot of criticism, and I agree to some extent, that Rey picked up the Force a little too quickly. She basically became a Jedi without any training or guidance. You could argue that Kylo was injured and it affected his fighting ability, but she just suddenly knew how to use kinetic Force powers and her Force power was stronger than Kylo's. It was a little far-fetched even within the realm of Star Wars. But hey, it's the Force, anything can happen I guess. Truth be told a Star Wars movie needs a lightsaber fight, and there really wasn't anybody else in the story who could fill the role. As I don't guess Finn is really a Force user. I'd have paid a month's salary to see Chewie flip that bitch on and slice Kylo in half for what he did to Han. I need to see a Wookie with a lightsaber.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home