Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stray Cat Blues - Guitar-only track
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 3, 2015 05:58

Re: Stray Cat Blues - Guitar-only track
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 08:04

that guitar might not be completely in tune...;-)

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: December 3, 2015 12:28

derty!

Keith..the original punk!

I seriously can't think of another guitarplayer that cuts through the bone like this, and I've heard 'em all

someone's gotta be the king right? smiling smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 3, 2015 14:10

Terrible and awesome at the same time. Cool.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 14:38

That was terrific. Thanks.

Date: December 3, 2015 14:50

Some of the most vital guitar playing on a Stones track ever thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-03 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 3, 2015 14:54

Great, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 3, 2015 18:09

Good grief, what an obnoxious punch in when he starts those lead lines! And then at the end! That's awesome.

No end lick! Why did they fade it out!! DAMMIT!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2015 18:11

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-05 00:57 by dcba.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2015 23:05

That is dirty....love it.....b.t.w. I did known this one is available as a multi track recording

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: December 4, 2015 04:43

I hear a lot of VU White Light/White Heat guitar licks all over this...I think I read somewhere thats what the Stones were going for...especially the opening note (Heroin)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 4, 2015 04:46

Great rhythm! Ouch that lead....

Posted by: swampnuts ()
Date: December 4, 2015 06:56

video: [www.youtube.com] Johnny Winter's version is as good or better than the Stones

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 07:03 by swampnuts.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 07:12

swampnuts
video: [www.youtube.com] Johnny Winter's version is as good or better than the Stones

wow. it completely lacks the heart and soul of the stones version IMO. sounds very sterile.

Posted by: swampnuts ()
Date: December 4, 2015 07:32

Turner68
swampnuts

wow. it completely lacks the heart and soul of the stones version IMO. sounds very sterile.

I would say that Mick's voice is better but, Johnny's lead work is better so maybe a wash. Not one of either artist better songs though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 07:33 by swampnuts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2015 07:45

swampnuts
Turner68
swampnuts

I would say that Mick's voice is better but, Johnny's lead work is better so maybe a wash. Not one of either artist better songs though.

I love Johnny Winter, but have to say this cover is way inferior to the Stones version.
While the lead guitars are blazing indeed, it's all a big muddy mish mash - bad production could be partially the blame.

Date: December 4, 2015 10:33

Turner68
swampnuts

+1 (like most cover versions of Stones tunes do)

Date: December 4, 2015 10:33

More Hot Rocks
Great rhythm! Ouch that GREAT lead....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 10:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 4, 2015 10:37

swampnuts
Turner68
swampnuts

What does ANY lead work have to do with the atmosphere and danger the Stones create here? I'd go out on a limb and say that what we consider brilliant lead work in general will destroy this tune smiling smiley

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 4, 2015 14:48

And now over to Bill on bass.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 4, 2015 15:07

Wish there were isolated tracks for guitars on Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 15:14

Open D. Awesome. Hopkins' piano licks, Bill bass, Charlies drums and Mick's vocals.
Top Rolling Stones experience!

video: [www.youtube.com]

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 15:15 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 4, 2015 23:31

Think this cover isn't bad either..................

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 23:34 by NICOS.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 03:26

DandelionPowderman
swampnuts
Turner68
swampnuts

What does ANY lead work have to do with the atmosphere and danger the Stones create here? I'd go out on a limb and say that what we consider brilliant lead work in general will destroy this tune smiling smiley

Yes.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2015 03:41

TeddyB1018
DandelionPowderman
swampnuts
Turner68
swampnuts

Yes.

I doubt brilliant lead work could destroy this tune. I think Johnny Winter proves that quite well. It just takes the song to a different place. I like the Stones version better, it obviously doesn't rely of brilliant lead work, but I have no doubt if Mick Taylor was ripping some brilliant lead on it it would have still been great, possibly even better.

Date: December 5, 2015 05:05

Naturalust
TeddyB1018
DandelionPowderman
swampnuts
Turner68
swampnuts

Yes.

I doubt brilliant lead work could destroy this tune. I think Johnny Winter proves that quite well. It just takes the song to a different place. I like the Stones version better, it obviously doesn't rely of brilliant lead work, but I have no doubt if Mick Taylor was ripping some brilliant lead on it it would have still been great, possibly even better.

As the old saying goes, sometimes less is more.

Date: December 5, 2015 05:23

Hairball

yeah yeah sometimes is the key word there. If Taylor had played on that tune it probably would have been a warhorse by now. winking smiley

Date: December 5, 2015 05:46

Naturalust
Hairball

yeah yeah sometimes is the key word there. If Taylor had played on that tune it probably would have been a warhorse by now. winking smiley

OK try this then:

As the old saying goes, less is more.

And as you know, Taylor played on it many times live. Some of those versions are better than others, but the tune always takes on a different vibe because of him. None of them however match the straightforward studio version imo, and I say this as someone who loves Mick Taylor. Some tunes are best simply left in their original form without adding too much 'icing' shall we say. Just my personal preference as I'm sure there are others who like the live versions better - maybe you do?

Date: December 5, 2015 07:16

Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball

OK try this then:

And as you know, Taylor played on it many times live. Some of those versions are better than others, but the tune always takes on a different vibe because of him. None of them however match the straightforward studio version imo, and I say this as someone who loves Mick Taylor. Some tunes are best simply left in their original form without adding too much 'icing' shall we say. Just my personal preference as I'm sure there are others who like the live versions better - maybe you do?

Actually there are very few Stones songs I like live better than the studio versions, I admit I like the studio version of this one best although I also love Taylors playing on some of the live versions. Like most Stones songs for me there is a disconnect between the live and studio stuff, they were just so damn good in the studio, especially during their golden period. If you took Taylor's playing off those live versions it still wouldn't resemble what they had captured in the studio. So I guess my point is that if Taylor played on the studio original it might even have been better. I could hear him overdubbing on the released version now actually and like what I imagine. smoking smiley

Date: December 5, 2015 07:53

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball

OK try this then:

Actually there are very few Stones songs I like live better than the studio versions, I admit I like the studio version of this one best although I also love Taylors playing on some of the live versions. Like most Stones songs for me there is a disconnect between the live and studio stuff, they were just so damn good in the studio, especially during their golden period. If you took Taylor's playing off those live versions it still wouldn't resemble what they had captured in the studio. So I guess my point is that if Taylor played on the studio original it might even have been better. I could hear him overdubbing on the released version now actually and like what I imagine. smoking smiley

Haha no no...I imagine it would result in 'Plundered my Stray Cat'. smiling smiley

Except for Midnight Rambler*, there aren't any live versions of Stones songs that I like better than studio versions that I can think of right now.
I obviously love them live, but there's something sacred about all those studio recordings.

"I like the MR studio version alot also, but it seems to find a new life when played live as if it was written to be played LIVE.

I have a fond memory from the free NRDC show at Staples Center Feb. 6, '03 during the Licks tour. I was right against the B-stage when they unleashed into Midnight Rambler - I pretty much reverted back to a teenager not believing my eyes what I was witnessing, having flashbacks of listening to it endlessly when I was a kid. Granted, the playing itself didn't quite match their glory years, but to watch Mick spaz out, and Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie switching gears, blasting into overdrive, slowing it down, and kicking it up a notch again...it ranks up their with my favorite Stones memories of all time. Somewhere I have crappy little pics taken with a disposable camera I had with me - memories for a lifetime! thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home