Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819
Current Page: 19 of 19
Re: Instruments used on Ya Yas?
Date: February 13, 2019 01:05

bleedingman

Jeff Beck.

Thank You. Jeff Beck also plays microtones with his whammy bar in combination with his slide that creates this melancholic Indian Raga feel every now and then. He's one of a kind.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 13, 2019 02:05

TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman

Jeff Beck.

Thank You. Jeff Beck also plays microtones with his whammy bar in combination with his slide that creates this melancholic Indian Raga feel every now and then. He's one of a kind.

And the volume knob! All fingers, no pick.

Date: February 13, 2019 12:55

bleedingman
TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman

Jeff Beck.

Correct Sir.

Where were You??

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 13, 2019 13:15

Mathijs
NathanLaze
well yes i too wanted to say that muting strings in standart slide is a mess... so,,,,, why using it anyways when you can afford any open tuning u like... or overdub as much as u can

Raise the action of your guitar, find the slide that works for you and practice, practice, practice.

Mathijs
it's like basic 101 of guitar and why people don't get this .

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2019 10:34

TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman
TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman

Jeff Beck.

Correct Sir.

Where were You??

We ought to leave Jeff Beck out of it.

He doesn't count .
What he does with a guitar isn't musicianship...it's Witchcraft

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 14, 2019 11:02

TheGreek
Mathijs

Raise the action of your guitar, find the slide that works for you and practice, practice, practice.

Mathijs

Raised action is not essential though.

I don't bother raising the action and, tuning aside, just use my guitar as is.

Pretty sure that goes for Brian and Keith in 60's and I assume Taylor too.

Date: February 14, 2019 11:26

TheGreek
Mathijs
NathanLaze
well yes i too wanted to say that muting strings in standart slide is a mess... so,,,,, why using it anyways when you can afford any open tuning u like... or overdub as much as u can

Mathijs

For some of us I don't think "practice, practice, practice" is quite enough when it comes to playing acceptable slide in standard tuning.

As a player with limited actual talent ...I probably just don't have a good enough ear and/or motor skills to master it .

Date: February 14, 2019 11:31

His Majesty
TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs

As witnessed for example by the sound of the slide rattling on the frets of Brian's guitar on No Expectations. grinning smiley

A is better to raise the action for slide though...and if you have a guitar dedicated to slide, there's no reason not to,

Date: February 14, 2019 13:12

Spud
TheGreek
Mathijs
NathanLaze

Mathijs

For some of us I don't think "practice, practice, practice" is quite enough when it comes to playing acceptable slide in standard tuning.

As a player with limited actual talent ...I probably just don't have a good enough ear and/or motor skills to master it .
My ear is to critical . With practice and luck sometimes I find the right notes and then trying to recreate it or recapture that lick or phrase is the challenge for me .

Date: February 14, 2019 13:13

Spud
TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman
TheflyingDutchman
bleedingman

Jeff Beck.

Correct Sir.

Where were You??

We ought to leave Jeff Beck out of it.

He doesn't count .
What he does with a guitar isn't musicianship...it's Witchcraft
I love your perspective on Jeff Beck , because none of us can play like him .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2019 14:49

His Majesty
TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs

Chances are that you're guitar already has medium to high action.

To me it was quite a revelation though. I have played for 20 years with 011's and a very low action. This enabled me to play fast solo's, but my slide playing was quite messy. Then I found that Taylor played thin strings -009's- and a fairly high action. This enabled him to play slide very clean, and due to the thinner strings still play fast with wide bends. I also changed from heavy brass slides to lighter glass and a piece of pipe of unknown to me material, and I think I play much better slide now. I never could play Taylor's slide part of 1972 live versions of All Down TL properly, and now I can.

Mathijs

Date: February 14, 2019 15:01

Mathijs
His Majesty
TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs

Chances are that you're guitar already has medium to high action.

To me it was quite a revelation though. I have played for 20 years with 011's and a very low action. This enabled me to play fast solo's, but my slide playing was quite messy. Then I found that Taylor played thin strings -009's- and a fairly high action. This enabled him to play slide very clean, and due to the thinner strings still play fast with wide bends. I also changed from heavy brass slides to lighter glass and a piece of pipe of unknown to me material, and I think I play much better slide now. I never could play Taylor's slide part of 1972 live versions of All Down TL properly, and now I can.

Mathijs
really interesting thread (aside from those few insanities a few pages back) - I also had a major epiphany with Slide some years back. It bothered me that I saw people like Taylor or George Harrison play beautiful slide on what looked like regular guitars . I always had to have high action to get it right. Glass slide made big difference, but with me I went opposite of what Mathijs said; I went with way bigger strings. But I had to compensate with amp get sound right.
Just as a note - years ago I saw Taylor in a small club, and talked with him afterwards. I asked him about open tuning vs standard on slide in '69, and he said he always played in standard on LIV etc. ( But he was very much on top of what guitars were used etc. he mentioned his SG, and the Les Paul that Keith used for HTW; and also a 335 on tour with them, but he said there were several of those )
But - we were pretty drunk by then; and who knows what memory tells us? I can't recall what guitar I played yesterday. And I did not want to press him and seem uncool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 16:31 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 18, 2019 01:35

dadrob
Mathijs, I am not here to argue ( God I hate that crap on boards) but I am sure MT is is standard. He played it is standard on Ladies n Gents and when he plays without a slide during the 69 tour on this song the licks are very clearly in standard. he has the country style bend that needs the high E string. I worked out those solos ages ago. You can of course continue to hold your opinion but my eyes and ears tell me otherwise. There are low string runs that have to be standard and since the song is in G MT can work those three middle strings like crazy ..I am assuming you play guitar so this is not gibberish to you.

dadrob- I am trying to figure out the guitar TAB parts for Mick Taylor on Jumping Jack Flash from Gimme Shelter movie. Curious if you have those or know where I could get them? You can contact me at ssigel@rochester.rr.com. Thanks.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 18, 2019 05:34

Sighunt
dadrob
Mathijs, I am not here to argue ( God I hate that crap on boards) but I am sure MT is is standard. He played it is standard on Ladies n Gents and when he plays without a slide during the 69 tour on this song the licks are very clearly in standard. he has the country style bend that needs the high E string. I worked out those solos ages ago. You can of course continue to hold your opinion but my eyes and ears tell me otherwise. There are low string runs that have to be standard and since the song is in G MT can work those three middle strings like crazy ..I am assuming you play guitar so this is not gibberish to you.

dadrob- I am trying to figure out the guitar TAB parts for Mick Taylor on Jumping Jack Flash from Gimme Shelter movie. Curious if you have those or know where I could get them? You can contact me at ssigel@rochester.rr.com. Thanks.

Why do you need the tab. just put on a headset and figure it out.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 19, 2019 21:08

Cooltoplady
Sighunt
dadrob

Why do you need the tab. just put on a headset and figure it out.

...unfortunately, if it was as simple for me as being able to put on a headset "and figure it out" I wouldn't be asking for help now, would I?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 19, 2019 23:28

sorry I have not used tabs to learn in decades. I either listen and figure stuff out ( so much easier in the digital ages that the LPs days..I was crazy enough to learn a lot of Jeff Beck's There and back offa LPs) or watch a uTube video if I get stuck on chords. there is a guy on youtube maybe jimmyjames??? who does play alongs to lots of Stones and classic rock stuff.

those are amazing lead breaks.

Date: February 20, 2019 16:30

dadrob
sorry I have not used tabs to learn in decades. I either listen and figure stuff out ( so much easier in the digital ages that the LPs days..I was crazy enough to learn a lot of Jeff Beck's There and back offa LPs) or watch a uTube video if I get stuck on chords. there is a guy on youtube maybe jimmyjames??? who does play alongs to lots of Stones and classic rock stuff.

those are amazing lead breaks.
JamesJames/Private Tricker is fantastic! He helped me out a lot when I was beginning about 3 years ago since his approach to teaching and playing is perfect.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: February 23, 2019 21:24

dadrob
of course one can play minor chords in open tunings. you just need three notes.

SURE MY FRIEND! IN YER SWEETEST DREAMS.... g minor chord (G-D-G-Bb-D) can't be played in open g major tuning as it requires a Bb note which is BEYOND the guitar neck! remember that g major is G-D-G-B-D.... u see, no Bb which is a semitone LOWER!!! the next position is on 12th fret when you are obliged to play capo on every string exerpt 2nd string, a higher B ! would you play capo with your little finger and ring finger simultaneously ,,, will ya grinning smiley

show to the stupid ones, please smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 21:47 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 24, 2019 12:21

NathanLaze
dadrob
of course one can play minor chords in open tunings. you just need three notes.

SURE MY FRIEND! IN YER SWEETEST DREAMS.... g minor chord (G-D-G-Bb-D) can't be played in open g major tuning as it requires a Bb note which is BEYOND the guitar neck! remember that g major is G-D-G-B-D.... u see, no Bb which is a semitone LOWER!!! the next position is on 12th fret when you are obliged to play capo on every string exerpt 2nd string, a higher B ! would you play capo with your little finger and ring finger simultaneously ,,, will ya grinning smiley

show to the stupid ones, please smiling bouncing smiley

Of course you can play a g-minor chord in open G, it's perfectly simple. Nor ok for slide though, unless you play it melodic.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: February 24, 2019 13:08

u can write it 1000 times over and over as well, my friend.... or just post a pic of yer left hand holding g min in open g..... sure u'll never do it because

U CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHEHEHE

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 24, 2019 13:10

NathanLaze
u can write it 1000 times over and over as well, my friend.... or just post a pic of yer left hand holding g min in open g..... sure u'll never do it because

There are numerous ways to play minor chords in open G tuning.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 13:13 by His Majesty.

Date: February 24, 2019 13:33

His Majesty
NathanLaze

There are numerous ways to play minor chords in open G tuning.

[www.youtube.com]

I hope this is convincing.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 24, 2019 20:05

Open G - minor Triads tab
Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm
D|--2-----4-----5-----7-----9-----10-----12--|
B|--1-----3-----4-----6-----8-----9------11--|
G|--2-----4-----5-----7-----9-----10-----12--|
D|--X-----X-----X-----X-----X-----X------X---|
G|--X-----X-----X-----X-----X-----X------X---|
D|--X-----X-----X-----X-----X-----X------X---|

Who knew?
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 12, 2023 14:30

I just read that the cover design of Ya Yas is based on Dylan's lyrics from 'Visions of Johanna'

Specifically

"Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule"

You probably already knew that but I never did

Re: Who knew?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:40

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2023 17:18

Not me

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: July 12, 2023 18:04

Everybody knows that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819
Current Page: 19 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home