Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19
Re: Instruments used on Ya Yas?
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 8, 2019 18:34

dadrob
Mathijs, I am not here to argue ( God I hate that crap on boards) but I am sure MT is is standard. He played it is standard on Ladies n Gents and when he plays without a slide during the 69 tour on this song the licks are very clearly in standard. he has the country style bend that needs the high E string. I worked out those solos ages ago. You can of course continue to hold your opinion but my eyes and ears tell me otherwise. There are low string runs that have to be standard and since the song is in G MT can work those three middle strings like crazy ..I am assuming you play guitar so this is not gibberish to you.

Mathijs is pretty damn good:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 8, 2019 23:30

all that makes sense....uTubers just tune down the high E to D..It works nicely that way...I can get to those double stops as bar slants if I am in practice for standard tuning slide but it certainly is a hassle and half the point of open tunings is easing one's path...I abused the tune Tulsa Time the other day messing up my bar slants and then losing my place.

I appreciate the deep knowledge and the good humorin this discuss. It is like the opposite of facebook!

Date: February 9, 2019 00:29

dadrob
all that makes sense....uTubers just tune down the high E to D..It works nicely that way..

That's enough to play LiV like Taylor on Yaya's. But for the sake of convenience Stones fans call it open G very often.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 9, 2019 00:31

that typo made me think you meant playing like Liv Tyler! now that would be something!

Date: February 9, 2019 02:00

Also if you watch Mick Taylor at Hyde Park in 1969 he plays LP tuned to open e on No Expectations.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 9, 2019 14:09

His les paul is tuned to open G at Hyde Park.

Date: February 10, 2019 18:15

His Majesty
His les paul is tuned to open G at Hyde Park.

Things are sloppy and terribly out of tune.

Date: February 10, 2019 18:27

TheflyingDutchman

Things are sloppy and terribly out of tune.

Not that bad that one can't identify what open tuning the les paul and ES-330 are in.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: February 11, 2019 06:25

playing solo in g tuning after a slide work is impossible. g tuning is for chord work... one has to relearn

Date: February 11, 2019 06:29

NathanLaze
playing solo in g tuning after a slide work is impossible. g tuning is for chord work... one has to relearn

i mean, live. mt could have overdubbed his parts not a single time on this lp on a wide range of instruments

Date: February 11, 2019 06:41

i even wonder if mt played an open e at hyde.... after no expectations he's doing a chord work on sftd picking barres.... open tuning provides a single chord altogether so no use in picking finger chords... just put on a capo and go for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 06:42 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 06:45

sftd verses are just e-d-a , chorus is a-e... open e would require a barre on 4th fret to hold an a' chord.... while d at 7th and then an open e. way too uncomfortable to play

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 06:48 by NathanLaze.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 11, 2019 08:14

we don't know they were used. they could have been new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 19:41 by hopkins.

Date: February 11, 2019 08:21

sure we don't know. doesn't mean we are not allowed to, though

Date: February 11, 2019 08:33

by the way, jjf is not an open g eithersmiling bouncing smiley watch your copy of circus darlings.... main riff is keef playin e major then open g&d strings... satisfaction's the same, e,f#,g and back and forth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 08:34 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 08:42

NathanLaze
by the way, jjf is not an open g eithersmiling bouncing smiley watch your copy of circus darlings.... main riff is keef playin e major then open g&d strings... satisfaction's the same, e,f#,g and back and forth

keef as well may have tuned his axe to a low (6th) g string instead of e (1,5 tones higher) and still play standard chords that would sound 1.5 tones higher too smileys with beer but that may be just my fantasy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 08:44 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 08:51

various open tunings require far less complicated chord fingering... got it ? for a song in the key of g , you take an open g guitar... for key of a you take an open a.... etc

Date: February 11, 2019 08:52

but you can't play solo on open tuning. only scales

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 11, 2019 10:40

NathanLaze
but you can't play solo on open tuning. only scales

Someone forgot to tell Derek Trucks!

Mathijs

Date: February 11, 2019 12:47

Mick Taylor advised to practice slide starting off with open tuning if you really want to master it.

Date: February 11, 2019 13:30

TheflyingDutchman
Mick Taylor advised to practice slide starting off with open tuning if you really want to master it.

I would advise the contrary. When you play slide in open tuning I find it difficult to extend beyond the standard licks, the ones we've all heard and played a thousand times. When you play slide in standard tuning it really worked for me to basically play the same solo's you play with fingers with the slide. The first solo of Sway is a good example of this. It took me quite some years to be any good at it, and it took some learnings about guitar set up and equipment to sound any good.

To do something that Derek Trucks does is mind blowing to me, to play all those fantastic scales in open E tuning. I can only play scales in standard tuning, in open tuning I find it difficult to go beyond the standard pentatonic stuff.

Mathijs

Date: February 11, 2019 14:05

NathanLaze

I suggest you clear your mind, eyes and ears and go over this stuff again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 14:05 by His Majesty.

Date: February 11, 2019 14:08

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

I would advise the contrary. When you play slide in open tuning I find it difficult to extend beyond the standard licks, the ones we've all heard and played a thousand times. When you play slide in standard tuning it really worked for me to basically play the same solo's you play with fingers with the slide. The first solo of Sway is a good example of this. It took me quite some years to be any good at it, and it took some learnings about guitar set up and equipment to sound any good.

To do something that Derek Trucks does is mind blowing to me, to play all those fantastic scales in open E tuning. I can only play scales in standard tuning, in open tuning I find it difficult to go beyond the standard pentatonic stuff.

Mathijs

I'm very reluctant to contradict Taylor on this subject, but one should do what works best. Lots of great slide players out there indeed. I myself never gave it a serious attempt -too time consuming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 14:14 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 11, 2019 15:47

His Majesty
NathanLaze

I suggest you clear your mind, eyes and ears and go over this stuff again.

ok but look at this... sftd is in e, as i stated above, and jjf is in b, so when tuning 1,5 tone higher then opening e major chord fingering sounds g major and standard g goes b

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 15:52 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 16:04

anyone can see there is a separate guitar tuned in the key of what-to-be song for each number.... no need to learn chords... couple of capos and the guitar plays by itself

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 16:08 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 16:06

open g only on 2 (!!!) songs... so u tell me

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 11, 2019 16:56

Nathan, what on earth are you talking about ?

There aren't different guitars for every key confused smiley

Keith uses an open G tuning for many songs in the catalogue...some of which are in B , with a capo at the fourth fret and the odd song capo'd at the second or the fifth fret.

Rambler, also in B, is played in standard tuning with a capo at the 7th fret.

Blues slide guitar is normally played with open tunings because its easier, with open E , D & G being common options to suite the key of a song.

The occasional genius like Mick Taylor can play fantastic slide in standard tuning just as easily as in open tunings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 17:04 by Spud.

Date: February 11, 2019 17:11

didn't u watch any of stones live dvd boots, my friend ??? keef changes guitars almost after every song.... this can be seen on any official dvd, especially after 89-90 tour. so what the hell he travels with around 50 guitars at any tour...

Date: February 11, 2019 17:16

why using open g for the key of b ?? yes it's capo on 4th fret.... so why care which fret your capo is on------ 7th in standard or 4th in open g... seems not too different eh?? much simpler to tune your whole thing in b altogether and enjoy yourself

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 17:20 by NathanLaze.

Date: February 11, 2019 17:22

NathanLaze
why using open g for the key of b ?? yes it's capo on 4th fret.... so why care which fret your capo is on------ 7th in standard or 4th in open g... seems not too different eh?? much simpler to tune your whole thing in b altogether and enjoy yourself

What a load of utter bollocks.

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home