Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Stones Live Album Ratings
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 27, 2015 17:11

Turner68
on what live album do you feel there is a better version of:

- any chuck berry cover
- SFTD
- Rambler
- SFM
- HTW
?

Updated answer:

HTW - better version on Love You Live
SFM - better version on Sweet Summer Sun

Stray Cat Blues, Love In Vain, Midnight Rambler, Live With Me - better versions on Live At The Roundhouse (Sticky-Fingers-Bonus-CD)

Rambler also better on L.A. Friday and later recordings. Live With Me also better on Stripped-Single-B-side.

SFTD - better versions on DVD´s of the so-called "Vegas-years". The original samba-intro is essential, imo. Keith´s solos are better because of the more chopping & cutting guitar sound.

There´s a better version of Little Queenie on official Disc/DVD, but I just cant remember it´s title at the moment. The YaYa´s version is a bit sleepy, imo.

Date: November 27, 2015 17:17

HMS
Turner68
on what live album do you feel there is a better version of:

- any chuck berry cover
- SFTD
- Rambler
- SFM
- HTW
?

Updated answer:

HTW - better version on Love You Live
SFM - better version on Sweet Summer Sun

Stray Cat Blues, Love In Vain, Midnight Rambler, Live With Me - better versions on Live At The Roundhouse (Sticky-Fingers-Bonus-CD)

Rambler also better on L.A. Friday and later recordings. Live With Me also better on Stripped-Single-B-side.

SFTD - better versions on DVD´s of the so-called "Vegas-years". The original samba-intro is essential, imo. Keith´s solos are better because of the more chopping & cutting guitar sound.

There´s a better version of Little Queenie on official Disc/DVD, but I just cant remember it´s title at the moment. The YaYa´s version is a bit sleepy, imo.

Actually, I agree on the selections in bold.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:00

I respect the Roundhouse tracks. Can't argue with them, although I stand by Ya Ya's for my self.

SFM on Sweet Summer Sun, on the other hand.... the song is slowed down so much it's almost unrecognizable, and has lost most of its excitement. There is almost time to yawn between the beats.

Date: November 27, 2015 19:16

It's probably in the correct tempo, while the Ya Yas version is too fast smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:24

"GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT" 3/10

"GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!" 10/10

"LOVE YOU LIVE" 4/10 (very bad Mick's singing on some tracks...)

STILL LIFE 7/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

NO SECURITY 9/10 (I really love it!)

LIVE LICKS 7/10

SHINE A LIGHT 6/10

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:41

laertisflash

STILL LIFE 7/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

LIVE LICKS 7/10

SHINE A LIGHT 6/10

I guess it is a matter of age....

"GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT" 7/10

"LOVE YOU LIVE" 7/10 (very bad Mick's singing on some tracks...)

STILL LIFE 6/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

NO SECURITY 3/10 (I really love it!)

LIVE LICKS 3/10

SHINE A LIGHT 3/10

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:44

mtaylor
laertisflash

STILL LIFE 7/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

LIVE LICKS 7/10

SHINE A LIGHT 6/10

I guess it is a matter of age....

"GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT" 7/10

"LOVE YOU LIVE" 7/10 (very bad Mick's singing on some tracks...)

STILL LIFE 6/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

NO SECURITY 3/10 (I really love it!)

LIVE LICKS 3/10

SHINE A LIGHT 3/10

This based on dis-considering recording quality... you can't judge quality because of old-age recording equipment

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2015 19:47

Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE is supreme.

Street Fighting Man on GET YER YA-YA'S OUT is stellar. The version on LIVE LICKS is decent but it's not nearly as good as the HBO Madison Square Garden version from 2002 (the LIVE LICKS one is edited because of... well, just watch the Twickenham show from FOUR FLICKS and the edit is obvious), which on FOUR FLICKS got a tiny guitar fix (on the PPV broadcast Keith laid a clam going into the first chorus). No matter, the 2003 MSG HBO performance gives the GYYYO! version a run for its money.

I agree that Paint It Black on FLASHPOINT is pretty good but the version on LIVE LICKS... that's possibly better. FLASHPOINT is a strange live album.

Date: November 28, 2015 19:55

HMS
Ya Ya´s was a huge disappointment for me some thirty years ago as I first listened to it. The expanded edition could not change my mind. I still dont dig what is so special about this record/these performances. Most songs are available in better live versions.

That is beyond funny, yet alone wrong. Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE is better. That's it. You won't find a better JJF, they had their chance to possibly improve with SFM but they blew it (although the version on STRIPPED is outstanding but it's still not as good and that's not a live album) and SFTD has never been bettered.

In fact, with exception to HTW, nothing on GYYYO! has been bettered.

HMS
No Security is a good one, although it is partly ruined because of Taj Mahal and Dave Matthews and the inclusion of tracks like Saint Of Me, Out Of Control and Thief In The Night. The rest of the programm is highly enjoyable.

Eh, I'll agree with you on Memory Motel but the rest of it is stellar, especially Thief In The Night. Seeing that you think DIRTY WORK is a classic Stones album it makes sense that you wouldn't like anything post DIRTY WORK on a live album (even though, fortunately, they have been smart enough to not have anything from DIRTY WORK on any live album) yet alone anything that's good, like Saint Of Me, which is pretty good on NO SECURITY.

HMS
Shine A Light seems to be a very underrated gem amongst fans, I can honestly say I enjoy it very very much from start to finish. But on top of it all sits L.A. Friday, it´s pure pleasure and delight.

SHINE A LIGHT sucks. Stevie Wonder can see that.

Date: November 28, 2015 20:00

Turner68
Flashpoint I agree is not particularly good for anyone but a collector/fanatic, it does have the best versions of PIB and SMU and the factory girl, ruby tuesday, and 2000 light years from home are very nice to have. But if a new Stones fan was considering starting off with it, I'd strongly push them in a different direction.

Any collector/fanatic needs the Highwire CD single to have 2000 Light Years since it's not on FLASHPOINT...

What a BONEHEADED decision eh? To not include 2000LYFH on the live album? Blows my mind.

Date: November 28, 2015 21:27

A better JJF than the YaY´s version can be very easily found, imo. There are excellent and very powerful versions recorded in 1994-2015. Compared to these the YaYa´s version is almost boring.

Date: November 28, 2015 22:39

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT 10/10 (Where it all began with me)

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! 9/10

LOVE YOU LIVE 6/10

STILL LIFE 7/10

FLASHPOINT 7/10

NO SECURITY 6/10

LIVE LICKS 4/10

SHINE A LIGHT 6/10

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 29, 2015 00:56

Love you live has got to be number 1

Followed by Brussels Affair and Roundhay

Date: November 29, 2015 17:42

HMS
A better JJF than the YaY´s version can be very easily found, imo. There are excellent and very powerful versions recorded in 1994-2015. Compared to these the YaYa´s version is almost boring.

Name a live album that has a better version of Jumpin' Jack Flash than GYYYO.

Ohhhh that's right. You can't.

Because there isn't one.

Facts, man, stick to the facts.

Date: November 30, 2015 12:26

IORRanians, please help me in my search for a better JJF-version than the one on GYYY at least to prove that GLS is wrong for just one single time.

Date: November 30, 2015 12:33

HMS
IORRanians, please help me in my search for a better JJF-version than the one on GYYY at least to prove that GLS is wrong for just one single time.

Rock'n'Roll Circus. There Mick sings the real melody, at least for a while.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 30, 2015 12:57

DandelionPowderman
HMS

RNR Circus
Brussels
Texas 78
Hampton

1969 version too slow, too bluesy, too Heavy .....for me

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2015 13:38

I need to say that GasLightStreet's and HMS's correspondence is one of the funniest things happened here lately. IORR would be much funnier place if many others with such differing or even drastically conflicting opinions would have such a good humor as these two gentlemen do.thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: November 30, 2015 15:45

Doxa
I need to say that GasLightStreet's and HMS's correspondence is one of the funniest things happened here lately. IORR would be much funnier place if many others with such differing or even drastically conflicting opinions would have such a good humor as these two gentlemen do.thumbs up

- Doxa

Yeah, OK, fine, but I'm right!

Date: November 30, 2015 15:46

Tops
DandelionPowderman
HMS

RNR Circus
Brussels
Texas 78
Hampton

Those are all decent, and at times, like Texas and Hampton, entertaining. But not as good as GYYYO.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 30, 2015 17:49

HMS

GYYY is a great version and I love Charlie's drumming on it, but it's not the best.

These versions are better IMO:

Wembley 1st & 2nd 1999
Leeds 1971
Circus Krone 2003
Astoria Theatre 2003

To name a few...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-30 17:55 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: November 30, 2015 18:42

GasLightStreet
Tops
DandelionPowderman
HMS

RNR Circus
Brussels
Texas 78
Hampton

Those are all decent, and at times, like Texas and Hampton, entertaining. But not as good as GYYYO.

RnR circus is pretty close. I think reasonable people can argue that they like it better. I prefer GYYYO but respect and love the Rnr circus version.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 30, 2015 23:37

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet
matxil
HMS
Amost all of them are GREAT. 10/10 for (almost) all of them. Nothing can beat The Rolling Stones live.

Good but not really great are:
Ya Ya´s - 4/10
Flashpoint - 7/10
Live In Tokyo 5/10

The greatest of all is:
L.A. Friday - 11/10

I like Live Licks & Shine A Light very much too.

Sometimes, I have the serious impression you love to go against the general grain.

Anyone that thinks DIRTY WORK is a classic album isn't going against the grain - there is no grain, just a constant drain. FLASHPOINT better than GYYYO?

No serious true Stones fan thinks that way. It's one thing to love Indian Girl and say it's a great track, it's knowledgeable to admit that it doesn't hold a candle to great Stones songs and therefor is not a great track.

Etc.

Of course Flashpoint is better than Ya Ya´s imo, because it has all the massive hits and a couple of deep cuts that Ya Ya´s hasnt.

Nope. You think DIRTY WORK is a classic album and FLASHPOINT is better than GYYYO because it has more hits on it!!!??

That's nothing but pure kook.

The playing and singing on Flashpoint is top notch and you can find some of their greatest songs ever on the album. Yes, it´s true there are a bit too much horns and keys, that´s the main reason I gave it only a 7-star-rating. But overall I do indeed think it´s a better live album than Ya Ya´s. To a Stones-newbie I´d rather recommend Flashpoint than Ya Ya´s.

+1

Date: December 1, 2015 04:54

HMS
The playing and singing on Flashpoint is top notch and you can find some of their greatest songs ever on the album.

Eh, if you like clean strings and grunting. Greatest songs? So what. That's no automatic reason it's a good album - otherwise LIVE LICKS would be rated 11.

Start Me Up is stellar, even with the heavy Ronnie overdub; a few others are pretty good but overall it's bland. Very sterile sounding, very average, too clean. There's nothing loose, nothing a big wonky, no movement. It's The Corporate Stones. FLASHPOINT was heavily overdubbed, unlike GYYYO.

Date: December 1, 2015 04:55

Charlie's POUNDING kick pedal on JJF and SFM on GYYYO is outstanding. Never again would he sound that fluid or powerful. Just one more reason why GYYYO is the supreme live Stones album.

Date: December 1, 2015 05:28

GasLightStreet
Charlie's POUNDING kick pedal on JJF and SFM on GYYYO is outstanding. Never again would he sound that fluid or powerful. Just one more reason why GYYYO is the supreme live Stones album.

i think the whole rhythm section is on fire. for me, they're as important as the lead guitar in making the berry covers on Ya-Ya's so great.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 1, 2015 09:58

Doxa

- Doxa
i waa just about to say that! HMS salutes dirty work, i disagree but i wil go on record saying sticky is one of the most overrated records ever. Wild horses is a horrible tearjerker that sucks in comparison to a gem like till the next time.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: December 1, 2015 10:03

GasLightStreet
Never again would he sound that fluid or powerful. Just one more reason why GYYYO is the supreme live Stones album.

I'm a bit surprised - but I probobly shouldn't - too see GYYO being so heavily praised. It's not in the same League as Brussels or Hampton IMO.

Being a great fan of the JJF studio version I rembember being extremely surprised and dissapointed when I first Heard GYYO. It wasnt the same song. 25 years later I can appreciate the GYYO version but can't say I'm a fan of it.

Great to see so many people being enthusistiatic about it. A good album.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 1, 2015 10:30

GasLightStreet
HMS
The playing and singing on Flashpoint is top notch and you can find some of their greatest songs ever on the album.

Eh, if you like clean strings and grunting. Greatest songs? So what. That's no automatic reason it's a good album - otherwise LIVE LICKS would be rated 11.

Start Me Up is stellar, even with the heavy Ronnie overdub; a few others are pretty good but overall it's bland. Very sterile sounding, very average, too clean. There's nothing loose, nothing a big wonky, no movement. It's The Corporate Stones. FLASHPOINT was heavily overdubbed, unlike GYYYO.

thumbs up

Date: December 1, 2015 16:23

Tops
GasLightStreet
Never again would he sound that fluid or powerful. Just one more reason why GYYYO is the supreme live Stones album.

I'm a bit surprised - but I probobly shouldn't - too see GYYO being so heavily praised. It's not in the same League as Brussels or Hampton IMO.

Being a great fan of the JJF studio version I rembember being extremely surprised and dissapointed when I first Heard GYYO. It wasnt the same song. 25 years later I can appreciate the GYYO version but can't say I'm a fan of it.

Great to see so many people being enthusistiatic about it. A good album.

It's the second of the "official" live albums, which ends with SHINE A LIGHT I suppose. Essentially pre-Google Music/From The Vault live albums - but not excluding those either. I suppose SWEET SUMMER SUN could count as an "official" live album. In other words, live albums during the time; the official live albums came out between, during or within a year of the tour.

JJF in GIMME SHELTER is, to my ears, the best they've ever done it. How they sound completely different on GYYYO and in GIMME SHELTER blows my mind. In GIMME SHELTER you hear how it was done live - big, chunky, full of swagger and counter notes and a vocal delivery that fit the mood; it was brilliantly different than the single version. On GYYYO you get the silly vocal overdubs to make it sound more like the single version but overall it's still a mean menacing song. Regardless, both performances have a vibrancy to their rhythm that started to fade away and by the 1972 tour they had sped it up and it started to lose its menace. It was completely gone by 1975. It's been the same ever since: dumbed down.

It's had some moments. A good one is LIVE IN TEXAS; it's got that punkness they were doing at the time. Gave it a slightly new edge, especially compared to the 75-76 tours. By 1981-82 it sounded like a bunch of kids playing with Tonka toys.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home