Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards - No regrets Rolling Stone Interview 1981
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:28

Just bumped into this on Facebook:

[www.rollingstone.com]

It's not new, but still very interesting to read.

Re: Keith Richards - No regrets Rolling Stone Interview 1981
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:34

could be talking about the comedy in the US presidential election

season, now:

How do you feel about the situation there politically? Are you at all political?

No. I watch it, you know. It's the height of cynicism for me to watch that whole power play go down. Just to see such hams get away with such a bad act over and over again, you know. I mean, it's an ongoing soap opera of the worst kind, but people still watch it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:51

One of my favorites, enjoyed again thanks-

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:55

duke richardson
could be talking about the comedy in the US presidential election

season, now:

How do you feel about the situation there politically? Are you at all political?

No. I watch it, you know. It's the height of cynicism for me to watch that whole power play go down. Just to see such hams get away with such a bad act over and over again, you know. I mean, it's an ongoing soap opera of the worst kind, but people still watch it.

yep, sums it up very well.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 23:03

I remember buying that issue when it came out, I still have it somewhere. Can't believe that was 34 years ago!

Date: November 12, 2015 23:06

DGA35
I remember buying that issue when it came out, I still have it somewhere. Can't believe that was 34 years ago!

it was one of my first i think. i remember thinking how audacious it was to put a lead guitarist on the cover, a guy who wasn't even the singer of the band's songs. i guess keith was a trailblazer in that way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 23:54

I've wondered, what does it mean to be "closeted with Napoleon" anyway?

Love wears a white Stetson.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2015 23:59

here is the first Keith Rolling Stone cover. from 1971 ..?

great interview too, with Robert Greenfield.

here's the interview. pretty long..

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 00:04 by duke richardson.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 13, 2015 01:04

Man those old interviews are great! Thanks for the posts. Back in a time when all the stories Keith told weren't recycled 100 times and his answers were long and detailed instead of short and anecdotal. Good stuff.

Date: November 13, 2015 04:17

Naturalust
Man those old interviews are great! Thanks for the posts. Back in a time when all the stories Keith told weren't recycled 100 times and his answers were long and detailed instead of short and anecdotal. Good stuff.

it's possible that it's media that has changed more than keith as far as the style...

also, if you're interviewed less often, it's easier to come up with new material.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 13, 2015 04:24

Turner68
Naturalust

it's possible that it's media that has changed more than keith as far as the style...

also, if you're interviewed less often, it's easier to come up with new material.

It's also possible that Keith is a bit less motor mouthed due to the change of stimulants in his daily diet. Hell even Anita was piping in during that 1971 interview. lol

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 13, 2015 09:59

Really good interviews! Read those two and there will be no reason to read "Life"...

Date: November 13, 2015 11:14

«I was the one who was most apprehensive about taking Ronnie into this. He's a very good friend of mine, and I've worked on his solo albums. But he doesn't play like me. To me, Ronnie's keeping together that idea of the Stones sound that Brian and I had. That's how I feel about Ronnie. He has an instinctive feel for what Brian and I originally worked out as far as guitars and the music go. Siamese twins — they both play. Look at it like this: there's one guy, he's just got four arms. That's the way I like to feel about it. Because when it comes out, it doesn't matter how many people are playing and who's doing what. When that sound comes out, does it hit you between the eyes and does it grab you?»

Love it! thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:50

That's my favorite quote as well from the interview.

Thanks for pulling it out.

Date: November 13, 2015 16:52

DandelionPowderman
«I was the one who was most apprehensive about taking Ronnie into this. He's a very good friend of mine, and I've worked on his solo albums. But he doesn't play like me. To me, Ronnie's keeping together that idea of the Stones sound that Brian and I had. That's how I feel about Ronnie. He has an instinctive feel for what Brian and I originally worked out as far as guitars and the music go. Siamese twins — they both play. Look at it like this: there's one guy, he's just got four arms. That's the way I like to feel about it. Because when it comes out, it doesn't matter how many people are playing and who's doing what. When that sound comes out, does it hit you between the eyes and does it grab you?»

Love it! thumbs up

People do seem to forget that Keith makes it clear that it all started with him and Brian.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: November 13, 2015 21:37

"What a dopey drug, you know — dopey in the sense of nondope. What a dopey nondope."

Keith's take on methadone has been my favorite Keith line since the day I read it in 1981.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: November 13, 2015 21:39

First issue of Rolling Stone I ever bought and still have it. Used to be such a great magazine. Now it's MSNBC in print.

Date: November 14, 2015 01:06

Come on! Someone lay out what "closeted with Napoleon" means! It's such a bizarre statement. I don't have the faintest idea what the hell he meant! I guess it's safe to say it's about Mick...

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 14, 2015 21:31

great read

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 14, 2015 23:24

duke richardson

[www.rollingstone.com]

Also a great interview.
And coming 6 months after the Wenner/Lennon interview. Both Keith and John at the time were a journalists dream. Opiniated, unguarded, articulate, contrary...fabulous stuff.
The opiates both were taking at the time probably helped of course.

I think the Keith interview was summer 1971 ....he had been using H for a few years, off and on, but I dont believe this fact was universally known.....of course when the French authorities issued the warrants a few months later, the cat was out the bag.
Nonetheless, from memory I believe Keith tells interviewer Greenfield that he's "clean", certainly when going through customs!
Ironic, given what happened in Toronto some years later.

Love the quote about "the mafia being better than the CIA'.
Shows what an unreal life Keith and Anita were living at the time.

Date: November 14, 2015 23:30

oh, he is still living an unreal life... ;-)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 15, 2015 02:09

duke richardson

[www.rollingstone.com]

So many books used a large % of that interview for their content.

Funny cos there are so many exaggerations etc in it. He lived at Courtfield Road for 2 years? Not even Brian lived there that long. grinning smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 15, 2015 08:33

Date: November 15, 2015 08:55

His Majesty
duke richardson

[www.rollingstone.com]

Funny cos there are so many exaggerations etc in it. He lived at Courtfield Road for 2 years? Not even Brian lived there that long. grinning smiley

Keith was screwing around with the interviewer a lot, as he still does. He says his father was injured in Wwi ("gassed I think"). His father obviously was way too young to be in Wwi and in fact was injured in wwii.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 15, 2015 09:18

DandelionPowderman

Love it! thumbs up

I could be wrong but I don't recall Keith mentioning Brian much in the media
interviews in the last decade or two.

Date: November 15, 2015 11:36

swimtothemoon
DandelionPowderman

Love it! thumbs up

I could be wrong but I don't recall Keith mentioning Brian much in the media
interviews in the last decade or two.

He often does within this context.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 15, 2015 14:54

GasLightStreet
Come on! Someone lay out what "closeted with Napoleon" means! It's such a bizarre statement. I don't have the faintest idea what the hell he meant! I guess it's safe to say it's about Mick...

Okay, GLS, you got me curious so I did some internet browsing. Keith may have been reading up on Napoleon and I think he's just using it ironically. One of Napoleon's generals was worried about the emperor spending time with someone shady, whom the general believed to be a traitor. I think Keith's just twisting the quote to mean he's been closeted (in close, intimate contact) with the band (as in a bunch of shady characters) at Long View Farm.

Date: November 15, 2015 17:01

latebloomer
GasLightStreet

Okay, GLS, you got me curious so I did some internet browsing. Keith may have been reading up on Napoleon and I think he's just using it ironically. One of Napoleon's generals was worried about the emperor spending time with someone shady, whom the general believed to be a traitor. I think Keith's just twisting the quote to mean he's been closeted (in close, intimate contact) with the band (as in a bunch of shady characters) at Long View Farm.

OK. Thanks. For some reason I couldn't make the connection. It's such a strange thing to say. It's the context that gave me a WTF. The context of the beginning of the article is about how Mick is sick and that Keith "seemed unfazed by the loss of a much-needed all-night rehearsal", which does not say he hung out with the band or they rehearsed without Jagger.

Of course, it doesn't say he didn't, either. Maybe they had a short rehearsal. I dunno.

It is something said by the guy that told Ronnie and Bill "to show up in New York City for a band meeting - Be here tomorrow or you're not on the album cover - , then flies off for a holiday with Patti Hansen in Florida."

HA HA! I almost fell out of my chair when I read that last night. I read it some time ago but this time it really made me laugh. Just not sure what all to believe. And the following helped me almost fall out of my chair even more:

May 26, 1981: Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman meet in New York City to discuss the next
tour and album. Keith Richards fails to show up as promised.

May 29, 1981: Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman listen to the nearly-finished Tattoo You
album at Mick Jagger's apartment in New York City. Ron Wood shows up very late.

June 1, 1981: Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts meet with Bill Wyman at his hotel room in New York City.
Keith Richards is still in Florida. They discuss the Stones' near future.

June 5, 1981: With Keith Richards still not having shown up, Bill Wyman returns to England.

June 7, 1981: Bill Wyman gets a drunken phone call from Charlie Watts in New York saying the Rolling
Stones are finished and he will not tour with them.

That chronicle at timeisonourside.com is hilarious. It's got all of their travelling details and who's overdosing and whatever and then there's October 18, 1981: After the last concert in San Francisco at Candlestick Park, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie
Watts and friends eat for $866 at a restaurant.

The bit about Keith hitting Ronnie in San Francisco: their versions are so opposite of each other that it probably never happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-15 17:06 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: November 15, 2015 17:37

Turner68
His Majesty
duke richardson

[www.rollingstone.com]

Keith was screwing around with the interviewer a lot, as he still does. He says his father
er was injured in Wwi ("gassed I think"). His father obviously was way too young to be in Wwi and in fact was injured in wwii.

Think that he may have mixed his father up with Grandfather Gus?

Date: November 15, 2015 17:41

WW1, WW2... like Fox News and CNN - they're both pretty much the same.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home