Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14
Re: Ronnie: Studio in December..
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:43

Foo Fighters packed home, U2 cancelled their Nov. 14/15 shows, Prince has cancelled his (early 2016?) solo piano tour.

Honestly it's a 50/50 thing : the artists don't want to perform and audiences are not really into going to gigs (yet).
It'll take a few weeks before everything goes back to normal here. It's part of the collective mourning process...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:50

Still waiting on some info from Jagger...
Jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 17, 2015 14:02

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage. They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."
Mick Jagger, 2013

People don't like new songs and they glumly at you when these song are like 'Sweet Neo Con', 'Look what the cat...', 'Driving too fast', 'Suck on the Jugular', 'Keys to your love', 'Stealing my Heart', 'Let me down slow'...and all your solo stuff. This is the truth and has to be said.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 17, 2015 14:24

KRiffhard
"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage. They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."
Mick Jagger, 2013

People don't like new songs and they glumly at you when these song are like 'Sweet Neo Con', 'Look what the cat...', 'Driving too fast', 'Suck on the Jugular', 'Keys to your love', 'Stealing my Heart', 'Let me down slow'...and all your solo stuff. This is the truth and has to be said.

It is obviously your subjective truth. It may very well be the subjective truth for a majority of IORR'ians. But it is not the subjective truth for everybody. It is not for me. You are not the spokesman for anybody.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 17, 2015 16:00

Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

It is obviously your subjective truth. It may very well be the subjective truth for a majority of IORR'ians. But it is not the subjective truth for everybody. It is not for me. You are not the spokesman for anybody.

But Mick Jagger IS the spokesman for the Rolling Stones.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:03

Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

The truth hurts!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 17, 2015 16:22

rbk
Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

A good rhetorical point. But the poster that addressed Mick Jagger as you (referring to his solo stuff, even all his solo stuff, as "your solo stuff" ), is not anybody's spokesman. If he claims to be, he thereby qualifies as an imposter.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:24

rbk
Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

One of four..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2015 16:28

Mick said that, yes, and he's right. But they haven't had a great single - ANYTHING - that's grabbed the attention of the public since Start Me Up.

UOTN got notoriety for being banned due to the video, not the song. Sure, the single got up to #9 on Billboard (Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions got to #5 each, their last Top 10 singles) but nothing has grabbed the ear of the listening public since Start Me Up.

Perhaps if Mick was more concerned about coming up with great stuff - even tunes they think they should wipe as they did with SMU - rather then worrying about people thinking they're like The Beach Boys and still doing new albums back in the 1990s... he wouldn't say such a thing.

U2 have been playing SIX songs from SONGS OF INNOCENCE plus the single Invisible, which was from the SOI sessions anyway.

You either continue or, as Ian Astbury says about bands that don't record new music, “So many other acts are impotent … they’ve all fallen away into the Range Rover trailer park in Bel Air.”

Date: November 17, 2015 16:33

GasLightStreet
Mick said that, yes, and he's right. But they haven't had a great single - ANYTHING - that's grabbed the attention of the public since Start Me Up.

UOTN got notoriety for being banned due to the video, not the song. Sure, the single got up to #9 on Billboard (Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions got to #5 each, their last Top 10 singles) but nothing has grabbed the ear of the listening public since Start Me Up.

Perhaps if Mick was more concerned about coming up with great stuff - even tunes they think they should wipe as they did with SMU - rather then worrying about people thinking they're like The Beach Boys and still doing new albums back in the 1990s... he wouldn't say such a thing.

U2 have been playing SIX songs from SONGS OF INNOCENCE plus the single Invisible, which was from the SOI sessions anyway.

You either continue or, as Ian Astbury says about bands that don't record new music, “So many other acts are impotent … they’ve all fallen away into the Range Rover trailer park in Bel Air.”

You're not forgetting Saint Of Me now? I think that grabbed the audiences's attention. At least, they had to re-start it again and again on demand smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 17, 2015 16:42

GasLightStreet

I can't speak for the U2 fans but how do they react to the new songs? Is it underwhelming?

Date: November 17, 2015 16:47

KRiffhard
Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

The truth hurts!

Therein lies the dilemma, and the challenge for the next album and tours to follow.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:52

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

You're not forgetting Saint Of Me now? I think that grabbed the audiences's attention. At least, they had to re-start it again and again on demand smiling smiley

Saint Of Me did not grab the general listening public's attention. It got as high as 26 in the UK and 94 in the US.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:55

Maindefender
GasLightStreet

I can't speak for the U2 fans but how do they react to the new songs? Is it underwhelming?

From what I've read and seen the U2 fans are digging the new tunes. Singing along.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:58

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Saint Of Me did not grab the general listening public's attention. It got as high as 26 in the UK and 94 in the US.

In concert it did.

Date: November 17, 2015 17:05

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

In concert it did.

IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!!

Date: November 17, 2015 17:06

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

In concert it did.

IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!!

I thought that was what Mick was talking about grinning smiley

Date: November 17, 2015 17:13

Did Saint Of Me grab the general listening public's ear like Start Me Up?

No.

So, yeah, that is what Mick was talking about!

What I don't get is if those albums were an excuse to tour, as some people think, why didn't they use great songs on the albums that would be a big hit? Why didn't they work on the songs more? Love Is Strong is remembered more for the video and for sounding like Wicked As It Seems.

It goes back to the set list: the newest tune is Start Me Up.

Date: November 17, 2015 17:20

They didn't «glumly look at them» from 4:03 and on...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 17, 2015 17:23

They can't clap!!!!!!

Date: November 17, 2015 17:24

GasLightStreet
They can't clap!!!!!!

Mick interrupts them on the wrong beat (like he always does) smiling smiley

Date: November 17, 2015 17:39

Witness
rbk
Witness
KRiffhard
Mick Jagger, 2013

A good rhetorical point. But the poster that addressed Mick Jagger as you (referring to his solo stuff, even all his solo stuff, as "your solo stuff" ), is not anybody's spokesman. If he claims to be, he thereby qualifies as an imposter.

'Spokesman Imposter' or 'Anybody's Spokesman'...could be a good album title.

Date: November 17, 2015 18:30

Ronnie in Toronto Sun

The Rolling Stones really aren’t gathering any moss.

Guitarist Ronnie Wood says when the veteran British rockers go back into the studio next month – before embarking on a February-March tour of Latin America – they’ll do it with current music in mind. “(Singer) Mick (Jagger) always keeps a keen eye out of what’s going on,” said Wood, 68, in a Canadian exclusive chat with Postmedia Network.

“He’s always listening to new bands and keeping up with the modern way of thinking; injecting a little bit of that into our music. We’re going to go in before Christmas. We’re all looking forward to that. And then if that goes well we’ll carry on after South America.”

Sergio

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 18:31

...How many stories!Music Bands makes new tunes, new records every three, four, five years or so...Simply it is their life, their passion, their attitude, their work...How many stupid excuses, how many hilarious alibi..."They would re-recording old studio albums or they would working on old outtakes of thirty o forty years ago..."After eleven years they don't be able to make a dozen of decent songs!?!Stranglers,AC/DC,U2,Deep Purple and so on do it...there is who makes big hits and who don't see their albums in the first 100 billboard position chart, so...What's the matter?!?Let come into a studio, record twelve strong songs and open the cage, man!thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2015 18:43

buenosairesstones
Ronnie in Toronto Sun

Guitarist Ronnie Wood says when the veteran British rockers go back into the studio next month – before embarking on a February-March tour of Latin America – they’ll do it with current music in mind. “(Singer) Mick (Jagger) always keeps a keen eye out of what’s going on,” said Wood, 68, in a Canadian exclusive chat with Postmedia Network.

“He’s always listening to new bands and keeping up with the modern way of thinking; injecting a little bit of that into our music. We’re going to go in before Christmas. We’re all looking forward to that. And then if that goes well we’ll carry on after South America.”

Sergio

Can anyone inform (and forewarn) me on what the latest craze is in the contemporary Pop music scene?
Need to be prepared...

Glad to hear they're gonna try and get it together prior to Christmas - hopefully it 'goes well'!

Date: November 17, 2015 18:48

mailexile67
...How many stories!Music Bands makes new tunes, new records every three, four, five years or so...Simply it is their life, their passion, their attitude, their work...How many stupid excuses, how many hilarious alibi..."They would re-recording old studio albums or they would working on old outtakes of thirty o forty years ago..."After eleven years they don't be able to make a dozen of decent songs!?!Stranglers,AC/DC,U2,Deep Purple and so on do it...there is who makes big hits and who don't see their albums in the first 100 billboard position chart, so...What's the matter?!?Let come into a studio, record twelve strong songs and open the cage, man!thumbs upthumbs up

A BIGGER BANG came out in 2005. That hasn't been every three, four or five years or so. It's now into year 11.

And who you listed that are making albums? THEY WANT TO. They probably aren't too concerned with charting anymore either, unlike someone in the Stones.

Although AC/DC has sort of been cranking them out every, uh, five years or... more.

1990 The Razor's Edge
1995 Ballbreaker
2000 Stiff Upper Lip
2008 Black Ice
2014 Rock Or Bust

The Rolling Stones
1989 Steel Wheels
1994 Voodoo Lounge
1997 Bridges To Babylon
2005 A Bigger Bang

AC/DC has (although not technically) done 3 LPs in the Twenty Hundreds. The Stones have done one.

That's not passion. Nor is it their life. Nor is it an attitude... other than an attitude of NOT recording new albums. It's only been their last 5 LPs that they haven't used old recordings (or songs started for previous sessions and recorded new yet again) from previous sessions like they did up to UNDERCOVER. Think about that for a minute. 5 LPs ago was DIRTY WORK. In 1986.

That's a span of 1968-1983 that they've done that, used leftovers. There's been some suggestion recently that some VOODOO songs may've been held over and recorded again for BRIDGES but so far that is all it remains.

Date: November 17, 2015 18:50

Hairball
buenosairesstones
Ronnie in Toronto Sun

Sergio

Can anyone inform (and forewarn) me on what the latest craze is in the contemporary Pop music scene?
Need to be prepared...

Glad to hear they're gonna try and get it together prior to Christmas - hopefully it 'goes well'!

lol that's a great(scary) question Hairball

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 18:51 by Maindefender.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:11

buenosairesstones
Ronnie in Toronto Sun

He’s always listening to new bands and keeping up with the modern way of thinking; injecting a little bit of that into our music. We’re going to go in before Christmas. We’re all looking forward to that. And then if that goes well we’ll carry on after South America.”

Sergio

Promising news!

Date: November 17, 2015 20:29

GetYerAngie
buenosairesstones
Ronnie in Toronto Sun

He’s always listening to new bands and keeping up with the modern way of thinking; injecting a little bit of that into our music. We’re going to go in before Christmas. We’re all looking forward to that. And then if that goes well we’ll carry on after South America.”

Sergio

Promising news!

...or demos ala 'Superheavy'?! eye rolling smiley

Date: November 17, 2015 20:43

Mick would be very happy to sing with Aviciiconfused smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home