Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14
Re: Ronnie: Studio in December..
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2015 01:04

RoughJusticeOnYa
STRIPPED was a different concept - it was partly 'unplugged' (semi-/acoustic) studio work (remember this was the "MTV Unplugged" area in full rage), partly live club show (Paradiso, Brixton Academy).

It wan nót 'just' a re-recording of old hits/ forgotten songs/ complete or chunks of albums...

Well, in a way it was re-recording, just from a different angle ie not just to record them again. The approach was, to use a somewhat lame term, a reboot.

Which I really liked. Updating something like Spider And The Fly, Not Fade Away and Honest I Do was genius. And the different way of Sweet Virgina was really nice too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2015 02:11

Turner68
Hound Dog
If after 10 years all they came out with was an album of old songs re-recorded it would be embarrassing.

this is what the fonda theater album was?

Yes to a point, but LIVE...warts and all (give or take a bit of cleaning up),
Like any other 'live' album, but with the focus on a particular chapter rather than 'greatest hits'.

I think what the original post was referring to was re-record tunes in a studio - sterlized and polished.
Can you imagine something like Sympathy or CYHMK being re-recorded in a studio today? Many obvious reasons why that's probably not a good idea
Out of curiosity might be slightly 'interesting' for a minute, but in a morbid way - like looking at a car accident while driving by.
Kind of sacrelige imo.

Date: November 14, 2015 03:15

MacLaurens
GasLightStreet
MacLaurens
A also think that is a cool idea to re-record old songs. I have thought about that for a long time actually. KISS made a similar thing with their Sonic Boom record in 2009. I would love to hear how they would record JJF, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, SFM, etc. - songs that have they have developed and changed a lot during the years, just like dennycranium says.

I don't how you feel about it, but as far as I know the majority of the songs on Stripped are recorded live... I want a studio album.

It's likely they are all recorded live. Recorded rehearsals... with acoustic guitars. In studios and on stages. The studio recordings being very focused.

It's a nice touch, especially considering how that tour was a bit brutal in some ways musically.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 14, 2015 08:52

Forget what Ronnie says, and Keith for that matter! When Jagger says they are going into the studio......... that's when we can get excited. It's not gonna happen unless Jagger says so!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 14, 2015 10:16

Hound Dog
If after 10 years all they came out with was an album of old songs re-recorded it would be embarrassing.

Exactly.

Date: November 14, 2015 15:27

strat72
Forget what Ronnie says, and Keith for that matter! When Jagger says they are going into the studio......... that's when we can get excited. It's not gonna happen unless Jagger says so!

Unfortunately that's probably the absolute truth.

It's beyond tiring. If it's so important why haven't they done - they could've done FIVE albums by now...

Date: November 14, 2015 18:49

GasLightStreet
strat72

It's beyond tiring. If it's so important why haven't they done - they could've done FIVE albums by now...

Desperation is setting in amongst Stones fans for a new album, and the natives are getting restless.
I'm almost willing to settle for another Mick dominated album to love, cherish, and admire - or maybe not...moody smiley

Posted by: KeefTaylor72 ()
Date: November 14, 2015 21:36

I've read that they must all agree and say "yes" when it comes to touring and recording songs, and according to Keith, Jagger and Watts have said yes. Now, they have to agree on when....and they aren't getting any younger sitting around. I just hope they dig deep into a groove-roots rock/blues style with very cool sounding groove-based guitars. Also, imperative would be to get Bill or another blues roots rock style Bass Player for the new recordings. Keith needs to play over the top of a bass that can hold a rootsy groove yet still play simple riffs under Keith's guitar. The Stones bass needs to enhance Charlie and Keith's playing, and that has been missing since Darryl has been there. That has been another aspect to the breakdown of the Stones recording success over the past 25 years.

Date: November 14, 2015 21:44

Hairball
GasLightStreet
strat72

Desperation is setting in amongst Stones fans for a new album, and the natives are getting restless.
I'm almost willing to settle for another Mick dominated album to love, cherish, and admire - or maybe not...moody smiley

I'll take the not.

Date: November 15, 2015 01:37

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
strat72

I'll take the not.

Yeah same here...

I'm still loving, cherishing, and admiring Crosseyed Heart, and if that's the last Stones related release I ever get, they certainly went out on a high note imo.

Date: November 15, 2015 01:40

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
strat72

I'll take the not.

Yeah same here...

I'm still loving, cherishing, and admiring Crosseyed Heart, and if that's the last Stones related release I ever get, they certainly went out on a high note imo.

HA HA HA HA HA! Yeah! SOMEONE did!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 15, 2015 18:26

There is no need to rush the recording of the next album in December. If it goes well in the upcoming month, they can take early next year for the recordings and then put it out in the summer.

I'm glad, however, that Keith's solo album has stirred things up so much that they consider writing and recording new songs as a band again.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 18:35

Does anybody here has seen Keith or the boys together in London?!cool smileycool smileythumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2015 19:23

mailexile67
Does anybody here has seen Keith or the boys together in London?!cool smileycool smileythumbs upthumbs up

Yeah, in 1963
jeroen

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 19:56

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileywinking smiley

Date: November 15, 2015 20:02

I suppose we'll have to put up with another variation of the logo if... they record a new album.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 15, 2015 21:32

They should make a statement and record the new CD in Paris.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:21

mtaylor

Not sure how much of a statement recording in Paris would be since it's arguably one of their favorite places to do so. winking smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:37

mailexile67
They have all tracks almost ready...They'll must work entirely on 4/5 tracks only...Then a touch here and there and new album will be ready!I think that they are into a studio right now for a couple of weeks then they'll come back in Late April/May for another couple of weeks, then mixing and overdubs and the new album will be ready in September with a new North American Tour with major cities...
It is possible that now they'll cut 2/3 tracks for the upcoming Southamerican Tour...

This.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:17

Turner68
there appears to be some concern that things might not go swimmingly in the studio... I wonder why they would think that? ; -)

...because it's very hard to come up with something worthwhile album-length wise. You have to match your older Albums (let's not talk of the classics but of the recent ones) and at the same time you have to offer something new. I so not think that this is very easy,certainly not as easy as a solo album.

And Songs like 'Come on little baby, I'l get you any time' do not really work if performed by poeple aged 70+.

Date: November 16, 2015 20:09

Naturalust
mtaylor

Not sure how much of a statement recording in Paris would be since it's arguably one of their favorite places to do so. winking smiley
Well, bands like Eagles of Death Metal, Coldplay, Prince, U2, Foo Fighters, Deftones and other ones are cancelling their tours or concerts in Paris. Then a great gesture to Paris and music should be to record the next CD in Paris and name it after Paris, maybe "Batalclan remains forever".....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 20:12 by mtaylor.

Date: November 16, 2015 20:31

mtaylor
Naturalust
mtaylor

Well, bands like Eagles of Death Metal, Coldplay, Prince, U2, Foo Fighters, Deftones and other ones are cancelling their tours or concerts in Paris. Then a great gesture to Paris and music should be to record the next CD in Paris and name it after Paris, maybe "Batalclan remains forever".....

Can't argue with that logic. Really sorry to hear that Paris will be missing out on many musical acts as a result the attacks. However prudent that may seem, I have respect for artists who decide to play there, both to make a statement that terrorists can't beat them and as a sign of support for the Parisians.

I figure if this happens in December they will probably pick some warm tropical island get away from the madness in the Cities and the cold winter weather, but I'm unconvinced it will happen so soon. More likely next Spring/Summer if at all, imo.

Date: November 16, 2015 21:46

Naturalust
mtaylor
Naturalust
mtaylor

Can't argue with that logic. Really sorry to hear that Paris will be missing out on many musical acts as a result the attacks. However prudent that may seem, I have respect for artists who decide to play there, both to make a statement that terrorists can't beat them and as a sign of support for the Parisians.

I figure if this happens in December they will probably pick some warm tropical island get away from the madness in the Cities and the cold winter weather, but I'm unconvinced it will happen so soon. More likely next Spring/Summer if at all, imo.
Have to say, I have my doubts if there will be a new record.
If there will be one, I will drink to it.smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 16, 2015 22:08

mtaylor
a great gesture to Paris and music should be to record the next CD in Paris

I was thinking the opposite : logically they'll never record in Paris again nor will they ever use their usual "Parisian" rehearsal spot. Better safe than... well you know.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 17, 2015 00:31

pepganzo
mailexile67
They have all tracks almost ready...They'll must work entirely on 4/5 tracks only...Then a touch here and there and new album will be ready!I think that they are into a studio right now for a couple of weeks then they'll come back in Late April/May for another couple of weeks, then mixing and overdubs and the new album will be ready in September with a new North American Tour with major cities...
It is possible that now they'll cut 2/3 tracks for the upcoming Southamerican Tour...

This.

Was the information, provided by Mailexile67, above correct or an educated guess?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: November 17, 2015 05:30

Just put the thing out when it's ready, with no advance notice or fanfare. Elite media coverage will do nothing for sales, and they've already demonstrated that they no longer need new material to tour behind. Whoever's gonna buy it, is gonna buy it.

Date: November 17, 2015 06:17

Naturalust
mtaylor
Naturalust
mtaylor

That's quite noble of you, but there's a lot more factors going on than an artist simply bowing out to save their hide.
The way you make it sound is that artists who have cancelled are helpless and defeated, and have no support for Parisians. confused smiley

Date: November 17, 2015 06:53

Hairball
Naturalust
mtaylor
Naturalust
mtaylor

That's quite noble of you, but there's a lot more factors going on than an artist simply bowing out to save their hide.
The way you make it sound is that artists who have cancelled are helpless and defeated, and have no support for Parisians. confused smiley

I really don't know from over here Hairball, that's just how it sounded to me from that post. gwen seems to have cleared it up a bit on the Paris thread, which sounded more reasonable, who knows. If all big concerts were put on hold for a while it would make sense that it's not the artists fear (not lack of support) that is preventing the shows. I'd still like to know who is playing in Paris in the wake of the attacks, if anyone.

Perhaps someone from Paris will clear this up for us, because even if it isn't the artists themselves cancelling these shows, it sure looks like a sign of helplessness and defeat from the outside. If it's the administration saying no shows since they don't want large assemblies or something yet that's still a sign of fear and helplessness, no?

Date: November 17, 2015 07:11

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
mtaylor
Naturalust
mtaylor

I really don't know from over here Hairball, that's just how it sounded to me from that post. gwen seems to have cleared it up a bit on the Paris thread, which sounded more reasonable, who knows. If all big concerts were put on hold for a while it would make sense that it's not the artists fear (not lack of support) that is preventing the shows. I'd still like to know who is playing in Paris in the wake of the attacks, if anyone.

Perhaps someone from Paris will clear this up for us, because even if it isn't the artists themselves cancelling these shows, it sure looks like a sign of helplessness and defeat from the outside. If it's the administration saying no shows since they don't want large assemblies or something yet that's still a sign of fear and helplessness, no?

Considering it's only been three days since the tragedy, I'd think it's more along the lines of being cautionary rather than a case of 'fear and helplessness'.
Still lots of unknown issues going on...it seems a bit premature to think everyone should already be happy go lucky,hunky dory, and dancing in the streets without a care in the world.
There's still mourning going in, and perhaps some shock and disbelief still - I'm sure that in time things will get back to 'normal' and strength shall overcome.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:40

Naturalust

I m not in the secret of the authorities but I can think of 3 reasons:
1) three days of national mourning were decided, it kind of makes sense that big festive events are cancelled during that time.
2) it seems some of the attackers may be on the run and may think of causing further damage.
3) simultaneous attacks are a trademark of these groups, as are delayed replica attacks. There was obviously a fear of another attack that would be targetting gatherings in the following days.

That said, smaller concerts took place last night. And bigger events are starting again tonight with Simple Minds.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home