Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: Ronnie: Studio in December..
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: November 13, 2015 13:39

mr edward
MisterDDDD
geordiestone
dennycranium
I'd personally be interested in the Stones doing their own "tribute album."
INXS did something similar in 2011 with Original Sin. They re-recorded their tracks with different singers.

Keith always claims their songs are "babies" once they record them. They then see how the songs "grow up" on tour. I don't want tribute singers. I want the band to re-cut some classic tracks.
Instead of another forgettable album of the odd decent track- I'd like to see how they'd record HTW, Start Me Up, JJF- anything to see how these tracks have evolved.
It'd certainly be better than 60 licks.
Anybody remember Stripped? I still play it often.
Thoughts?
That's a great idea!

Love that idea.

Really? An entire album of re-recorded old hits? That taking expoiting nostalgia/artistic laziness to a whole new level.

Sticky Fingers Live ..........

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 13, 2015 14:10

A also think that is a cool idea to re-record old songs. I have thought about that for a long time actually. KISS made a similar thing with their Sonic Boom record in 2009. I would love to hear how they would record JJF, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, SFM, etc. - songs that have they have developed and changed a lot during the years, just like dennycranium says.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 13, 2015 14:12

HighwireC
mr edward
MisterDDDD
geordiestone
dennycranium
INXS did something similar in 2011 with Original Sin. They re-recorded their tracks with different singers.

Keith always claims their songs are "babies" once they record them. They then see how the songs "grow up" on tour. I don't want tribute singers. I want the band to re-cut some classic tracks.
Instead of another forgettable album of the odd decent track- I'd like to see how they'd record HTW, Start Me Up, JJF- anything to see how these tracks have evolved.
Thoughts?
That's a great idea!

Love that idea.

Really? An entire album of re-recorded old hits? That taking expoiting nostalgia/artistic laziness to a whole new level.

but that's live

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 13, 2015 14:20

GetYerAngie
HighwireC
mr edward
MisterDDDD
geordiestone
dennycranium

Thoughts?
That's a great idea!

Love that idea.

but that's live

Exactly.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 13, 2015 15:06

I would take a batch of newly-composed, collaborative efforts over this any day, but a re-recording of their U.K. debut LP would bmise good fun, I think. If they were to ever rework any old studio-cuts or so-called 'classics', a bluesy, rhythm-and-blues effort would be more enticing for me than, say, 'Paint It, Black 2015' These mid-to-late 60's tracks are too ingrained on our consciousness to work. If they covered their earliest-recorded material, it could be a success of sorts. Essentially, they're the standard-fare of the day and open to re-investigation.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:00

Re-recording any of their albums would be @#$%& ridiculous.

New material please.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:03

+1 thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:05

MingSubu

New material please.

Agree!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:10

TeddyB1018
Even Dirty Work had a particular feel.

Ha ha ha ha! Not a good one!!!

Date: November 13, 2015 16:12

gotdablouse
Nice write-up Rocky (and I'd never heard of the 2001 concepts being thrown around we were in the internet age though! I remember everyone on RO being quite surprised by the sudden appearance of Goddess), you forgot the 2002 Paris Sessions though and that's another possible scenario for the likely upcoming sessions. They spend time in the studio, record an album's worth of decent songs...and don't release it but just pick 4 for a compilation album. Well this won't happen this time as they have no "landmark" to celebrate in 2016 but whatever they do might stay in the can.

I'm going to guess that is precisely why Rocky left that one out: it didn't amount to anything.

Date: November 13, 2015 16:14

swimtothemoon
I might have missed some news but isn't this all just a guess so far in
that the band may just record a couple of new tunes and the rest will
merly be leftovers from previous sessions?

Sounds like it's your guess and it's now thrown in with the rest of the guesses.

Date: November 13, 2015 16:18

geordiestone
dennycranium

Thoughts?
That's a great idea!

Ouch.

That's a horrible idea. Not only have they been imitating themselves over the past 5 albums, why suggest that they devolve even further in the "being a band" concept and have them hurdle over The Beach Boys by recording their own songs again?

Yes, let's not bother with writing new material and still be "relevant", let's cover ourselves!

Hell no.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:23

dennycranium

Thoughts?

Absolute rubbish and bad idea.
Jeroen

Date: November 13, 2015 16:32

You say this first...

HMS
Dont Stop, Keys To Your Love, Stealing My Heart & Losing my touch are songs that are very enjoyable. If they had completet a full album back then, it would have been a very very good Stones-album.

... and then you say this?

HMS
Regarding Voodoo-Lounge, I know these famous box-sets like "Stew" and "Brew" etc. Listened to it only once. Where are "great songs, better than on the album" on these bootlegs to find? Nowhere. It´s a bunch of sketches, halfbaked rhythmn tracks and nothing more. There is not one single good song to find. They released the best of what they had back then (and a little more). The VL-outtakes are just awful, except Honest Man.

Clearly you haven't listened to the tracks enough or at all, because you said you listened to "it" only once and out of all of it Honest Man, which is just Mick playing Sweet Thing really fast and doing his greatest Kenny Loggins impersonation, is the one that is not awful? Coming from someone that uses DIRTY WORK and the 4 LICKS tracks as the bar of excellence it's no wonder you can't hear anything in the VOODOO leftovers.

Those VOODOO leftovers are, just like the SOME GIRLS leftovers, unedited. They're also, like a lot of the SOME GIRLS leftovers, not finished.

Here is one example of something that, had they finished it, would've been a great track on VOODOO, just as with leftovers from SOME GIRLS.

It's Funny
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:33

MingSubu

New material please.

So I take it you didn't like the re-recording of Sticky Fingers live at the Fonda...

Date: November 13, 2015 16:35

MacLaurens
A also think that is a cool idea to re-record old songs. I have thought about that for a long time actually. KISS made a similar thing with their Sonic Boom record in 2009. I would love to hear how they would record JJF, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, SFM, etc. - songs that have they have developed and changed a lot during the years, just like dennycranium says.

Date: November 13, 2015 16:37

Turner68
MingSubu

New material please.

So I take it you didn't like the re-recording of Sticky Fingers live at the Fonda...

But... they never had STICKY FINGERS LIVE to begin with! How can they re-record STICKY FINGERS LIVE 1 and release STICKY FINGERS LIVE 2 if they didn't have 1?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:41

Turner68
MingSubu

New material please.

That was a live album. I wouldn't mind them doing that for previous albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 16:42 by MingSubu.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:43

MingSubu

New material please.

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 13, 2015 16:44

MingSubu

New material please.

smileys with beersmoking smileyhot smileysmileys with beer
One Love !!
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2015 17:25

MingSubu
Turner68
MingSubu

New material please.

I agree that re-recording any of their albums LIVE wouldn't be bad - even if their playing isn't up to snuff.
More 'unplugged' or 'stripped' type stuff could be great.

But to re-record anything in the studio would be ridiculous for a variety of reasons imo.
Might as well throw in the towel and announce to the world "we got nothing".
And can't imagine them investing the time and energy to do that, it will never happen.

Date: November 13, 2015 17:30

Hairball
MingSubu
Turner68
MingSubu

New material please.

This is how i interpreted 40 licks and Grrr.

Date: November 13, 2015 17:36

STRIPPED was nice because they were taking the essence of the songs and playing with it, recording them in a mild manner. They slowed down and funked up Not Fade Away like the way they were playing it on the tour, which is far better than their original recording back in 1964. Some tracks were cleaned up and given a bit more of a sheen, like Love In Vain or, for some reason, the dismal I'm Free and oddly flat Wild Horses.

Some of the tracks that didn't make the release are interesting. I suppose that's the purpose of the whole thing. Memory Motel turned out pretty good.

LSTNT
[www.youtube.com]

No Expectations
[www.youtube.com]

Memory Motel
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 13, 2015 17:37

STRIPPED was a different concept - it was partly 'unplugged' (semi-/acoustic) studio work (remember this was the "MTV Unplugged" area in full rage), partly live club show (Paradiso, Brixton Academy).

It wan nót 'just' a re-recording of old hits/ forgotten songs/ complete or chunks of albums...

Date: November 13, 2015 17:48

Turner68
Hairball
MingSubu
Turner68
MingSubu

New material please.

This is how i interpreted 40 licks and Grrr.

Yes kind of true I suppose.
And to avoid confusion by the way you took that one sentence out of context from my original post... smiling smiley
I did agree that that re-recording/re-working any of their studio albums LIVE wouldn't be a bad idea ('stripped' or 'unplugged'), and I wouldn't really consider that 'throwing in the towel" so to speak.
Might show a lack of creativity in the songwriting department, but in a live setting might be somewhat enjoyable - again, even if the playing isn't up to snuff compared with original recordings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 17:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 13, 2015 22:39

GasLightStreet
MacLaurens

I don't how you feel about it, but as far as I know the majority of the songs on Stripped are recorded live... I want a studio album.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 13, 2015 22:56

just randomly pick out a dozen classical blues songs, get in the studio, record them and put them out on a record! Where's the problem?
Bob Dylan's coving Sinatra with marvelous results (you have to see/hear him sing that stuff live)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 13, 2015 23:10

If after 10 years all they came out with was an album of old songs re-recorded it would be embarrassing.

Date: November 13, 2015 23:19

Yes indeed pointless and embarrassing.
Leave that kind of stunt to bands like INXS -I think they even had a contest and the winning grand prize was to become the band's lead singer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 23:20 by Hairball.

Date: November 13, 2015 23:29

Hound Dog
If after 10 years all they came out with was an album of old songs re-recorded it would be embarrassing.

this is what the fonda theater album was?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home