Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Travel Tips for getting to , and around South America.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 6, 2015 21:39

I thought I would start a new thread as I'm looking for the best deal for a return flight from Europe (London or Madrid) ,to Buenos Aires , returning from Sao Paulo or Rio.

Obviously any travel tips about any routes for anyone travelling is very welcome.

Looking around it is much cheaper getting a return flight from BA or Sao Paulo or Rio than into one city and out of another .Sometimes a one way flight is the same as a return.

Any tips on websites or airlines like Iberia etc doing the best deals.

Also internal transport to get from BA to Montevideo and then on to Sao Paulo, Rio and finally Porto Alegre.

I know about the ferry from BA to Montevideo but it is the other internal transport I would like to know. Will probably be flights or bus but any info would be most welcome. smileys with beer

Re: Travel Tips for getting to , and around South America.
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:01

I have done a lot of research on the same routes and the best bet for a multi city flight ticket looks like tam airlines direct from Heathrow.

Nate thumbs up

Date: November 6, 2015 22:04

Cheers Nate. Will have a look at that. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 22:12 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:10

Buses in SA are not so cheap (sometimes a flight ticket is cheaper than a bus ticket) and the distances are huge, so a trip from Montevideo to Rio takes an entire day.

For the foreign tourists, I think you can use the Airpass, which allows you to get cheaper flight tickets to multiple countries.

Date: November 6, 2015 22:13

Cheers Cristiano. Will have a look at that. thumbs up

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:54

If Cuba gets confirmed, I am going to try like hell to get down there!

Date: November 6, 2015 23:15

So will I !

Always wanted to go there but The Stones playing Havana is that extra special reason to go.

No problems with flights or visa as a U.K. guy.

Madrid or London are pretty good for flights .

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:22

I'm in the southeast, and I have no idea how to get down there. Need to start doing some research!

Date: November 8, 2015 03:42

Just booked the flight from Heathrow London to Rio with KLM £400 return trip great price.
Going to do all 4 shows in Brazil and TAM airlines has a 3 flight ticket from Rio to Sao Paulo-Sao Paulo to Porto alegre and then back to Rio for £165

Nate thumbs up

Date: November 8, 2015 03:50

Nate
Just booked the flight from Heathrow London to Rio with KLM £400 return trip great price.
Going to do all 4 shows in Brazil and TAM airlines has a 3 flight ticket from Rio to Sao Paulo-Sao Paulo to Porto alegre and then back to Rio for £165

Nate thumbs up

Great!

Date: November 8, 2015 10:18

That does sound good Nate.

Was going to start in BA and finish in Porto Alegre but may have to rethink my dates and places to go to. smileys with beer

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 8, 2015 11:25

Flying from Rio to San Paulo - I've done this a couple of times for work.

Rio has a small airport right in the city/on the waterfront - Santo Dumont. Easy to get to and with plenty of flights to Sao Paulo. However it is very small/cramped, with water at the ends of the runway.

Sao Paulo has an inner city airport - Congonhas - on top of a hill. not for the fainthearted flyers. But much closer to hotels.

Sao Paulo International - Guarulhos - is further out, bigger. BUt it can take 2 hours by taxi/car into the city. The traffic in SP can be crazy.

Never tried a bus, or hired a car. Navigating traffic in big cities would be interesting, and going into the wrong area ultra-risky. The favelas (semi-organised slums) can be war zones with now law.

Crazy people, great country - but don't get lost!!

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:27

Oh, I have nothing for South America, but today is rainy and in the low to mid 50's in Seattle and since the Seahawks have a bye week I decided to take a nice stroll through the University District. Nothing really caught my eye though. Maybe because of the rain. LOL I guess I'll just have to go back on a sunny day.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 20:28 by aliceinseattle.

Date: November 9, 2015 14:36

Nate

Nate thumbs up

Have you actually booked the internal flights or are you going to wait for a while in case dates are changed ? I have been looking at doing the 4 shows in Brazil and not La Plata or Montevideo.

I can get a very good deal with Iberia from Madrid to Rio for £325 non-stop return , and I will be in Spain at that time anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-09 14:38 by crawdaddy.

Date: November 9, 2015 18:15

Booked the return from London to Rio and will probably book the internal flights this weekend.
We were going to go to Argentina as well but we had a hotel booked in Buenos Aires and getting back there from la plata is apparently a bit of a problem so now we are doing the 4 shows in Brazil.

Nate thumbs up

Date: November 9, 2015 18:23

Yes ! I'm on the verge of booking to Rio and also the internal flights.

I looked at the post of thecitadel and will probably go for the smaller airports at Rio and Sao Paulo as they seem to be a lot nearer to town than the international airports, and the times of the flights aren't bad. smileys with beer

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:21

I want to 'do Rio' but it's starting to look like a stretch. Didn't realize that from the US you DO need a Visa to go to Brazil - to the tune of $160. (other countries should check their entry requirements). When I start adding up air (even if using miles), hotel, cost of the ticket, meals etc. and add that $160 fee just to step foot in the country, it's looking unlikely.

Date: November 11, 2015 05:06

DEmerson
I want to 'do Rio' but it's starting to look like a stretch. Didn't realize that from the US you DO need a Visa to go to Brazil - to the tune of $160. (other countries should check their entry requirements). When I start adding up air (even if using miles), hotel, cost of the ticket, meals etc. and add that $160 fee just to step foot in the country, it's looking unlikely.

Yes, US citizens need a visa for the same reason the Brazilian citizens need a visa to go to USA.

On this link there's a list with all the informations about it: [sistemas.mre.gov.br]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 11, 2015 15:03

Visa and Reciprocity fee info for US citizens.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 15:05 by MingSubu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home