Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Too Tough
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 9, 2021 11:04

bakersfield
The guitar sound is so bland - they don’t cut through. Similar riffs on ‘Fight’ are much more exciting because the guitars aren’t muffled like they are here. The vocal is distant too.

I agree with you there.

Date: May 9, 2021 12:52

Too much treble, perhaps. Not muffled. I'm pretty sure the guitar take is from Cellophane Trousers and the BAB-sessions. Ronnie’s guitar sound (which is from the Undercover-sessions) is awesome.

I agree about Fight, though. I remember thinking they lifted that part from Too Tough when DW came out.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 9, 2021 14:38

bakersfield
I never liked it
The guitar sound is so bland - they don’t cut through. Similar riffs on ‘Fight’ are much more exciting because the guitars aren’t muffled like they are here. The vocal is distant too.
As Keith Richards described the making of Undercover, ‘we took turns to piss around with the tapes’ . ‘Too Tough’ seems to have suffered from that process. A weak track among many on a weak album. NME reviewed Undercover under the title ‘ this should be the last time‘ and Too Tough typified what was wrong with the record. A stones by numbers song played in a by numbers arrangement.

Yep i remember Keith being all pissed off at the time with Mick over producing the album after Keith left what he thought was a finished album. I got the impression Keith thought a brilliant album got spoiled, or over done.
Probably the result of this album started WW3.

Date: May 9, 2021 15:00

Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it
As Keith Richards described the making of Undercover, ‘we took turns to piss around with the tapes’ . ‘Too Tough’ seems to have suffered from that process. A weak track among many on a weak album. NME reviewed Undercover under the title ‘ this should be the last time‘ and Too Tough typified what was wrong with the record. A stones by numbers song played in a by numbers arrangement.

Yep i remember Keith being all pissed off at the time with Mick over producing the album after Keith left what he thought was a finished album. I got the impression Keith thought a brilliant album got spoiled, or over done.

There are many stories from the mixing process of ER as well.

Date: May 9, 2021 17:34

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it

Yeah it's the same with Emotional Rescue, it's all a bit muddy and unclear, just not as vivid as they could have made it, but in Rescue it adds to the charm, not so sure with something as angry and vibrant as Undercover.
Then with DW it was that awful 80s production that ruined that, the Glimmers have really made a mess of things since Tattoo You with the exception of Voodoo Lounge, it only works when Mick and Keith are looking down the same telescope.

Date: May 9, 2021 17:57

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it

Yeah it's the same with Emotional Rescue, it's all a bit muddy and unclear, just not as vivid as they could have made it, but in Rescue it adds to the charm, not so sure with something as angry and vibrant as Undercover.
Then with DW it was that awful 80s production that ruined that, the Glimmers have really made a mess of things since Tattoo You with the exception of Voodoo Lounge, it only works when Mick and Keith are looking down the same telescope.

? ER is one of the top 3 best-sounding Stones-albums.

I was referring to the start of WWIII smiling smiley

Date: May 9, 2021 18:48

ER is a fine album but way down to number 7 for me.

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

That's how they sound to me winking smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 10, 2021 02:59

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it

Shit happens when you leave sessions early! But, honestly, I don't buy a lot of these stories. As if he does not have a say concerning the final product! Whenever an album is a success, Keith's stories are always like "Mick & I", but when somethings turns out not as successful as hoped for, the tendency of his statements is often like "Well, I wanted to do it differently, but Mick...".

Success has many parents, but failure is an orphan!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-10 03:01 by retired_dog.

Re: Too Tough
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2021 06:53

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

This song from Undercover of the Night is a great rocker, and possibly the best of the entire album. The Keith opening riff is memorable, and Ronnie's guitar work is spot on. Tell me what you think. I love it.

It's not from Undercover Of The Night, it's from UNDERCOVER, and it's far from the best on the entire album that is UNDERCOVER aka U in shorthand since it's one word.

Date: May 10, 2021 09:02

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it

Shit happens when you leave sessions early! But, honestly, I don't buy a lot of these stories. As if he does not have a say concerning the final product! Whenever an album is a success, Keith's stories are always like "Mick & I", but when somethings turns out not as successful as hoped for, the tendency of his statements is often like "Well, I wanted to do it differently, but Mick...".

For ER it was about having a say in the mixing process, and having to fight for it, according to Keith. I haven't heard him complain about the results.

ER sold well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-10 10:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 10, 2021 10:17

Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Yeah, I'd have placed it round there myself (Beggars on top smiling smiley ). However, I was referring to the production of ER, which is great. It sounds great.

Date: May 11, 2021 01:05

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
bakersfield
I never liked it

Yeah i was thinking the same, i can just imagine Keith saying right job done album finished I'm off to party hard, and Mick thinking haha now is my chance to squeeze Keith out of the mix grinning smiley

Date: May 11, 2021 01:15

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Yeah, I'd have placed it round there myself (Beggars on top smiling smiley ). However, I was referring to the production of ER, which is great. It sounds great.

Yes but it's being a cheeky monkey to say me and the boys at iorr have decided ER is third best Stones album sound wise, i mean REALLY.winking smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 03:27

But most of the songs on ER are pretentious,mannered and weak

Date: May 11, 2021 04:34

Taylor1

No they're not. That would be DIRTY WORK. Your understanding of context is biased it seems.

Date: May 11, 2021 09:09

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Yes but it's being a cheeky monkey to say me and the boys at iorr have decided ER is third best Stones album sound wise, i mean REALLY.winking smiley

Cheeky monkey? Just stating my opinion. Although music and sound is subjective, I also have produced a few albums myself. It comes down to my taste sound-wise.

However, it wouldn't be surprising if many had these albums high up on their list when it comes to sound:

Black And Blue
Tattoo You
ER
Sticky Fingers

Date: May 11, 2021 11:09

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Cheeky monkey? Just stating my opinion. Although music and sound is subjective, I also have produced a few albums myself. It comes down to my taste sound-wise.

However, it wouldn't be surprising if many had these albums high up on their list when it comes to sound:

Black And Blue
Tattoo You
ER
Sticky Fingers

Yes and i was giving my opinion, do you see how this works, no need to put question marks over peoples opinions, that's cheeky and you have produced albums and so have thousands of people, it doesn't qualify them to officially list sound quality order on albums produced by Mick or Keith like this is the way it is.
I think in each of our minds we all see the Stones as our band, you know I've always seen this band as my band and I'm sure you and others on here do to, it's great that way, i happen to like some of Dirty Work, it's a crap shoot here to admit that but it's my opinion there are a couple tracks on DW that i prefer over ER. I just don't think anyone should question that i like DW, disagree yes, have your own opinion but don't question my tastes. It's like questioning a person liking Jazz, Rap or classical music, it's gaslighting in a way.

Date: May 11, 2021 12:16

GasLightStreet
Taylor1

No they're not. That would be DIRTY WORK. Your understanding of context is biased it seems.
Biased? How ridiculous is that? So someone can’t have an opinion about music? To mesongs like Dance , Indian Girl, Down in the Hole , Emotional Rescue, Send it to Me, She’s So Cold are weak. All the people who rip Micks solo music like Goddess in the Doorway andsongs like Blinded by Rainbows andAnybody Seen My Baby are biased I guess under your rules

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 12:22 by Taylor1.

Date: May 11, 2021 12:30

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Black And Blue
Tattoo You
ER
Sticky Fingers

Yes and i was giving my opinion, do you see how this works, no need to put question marks over peoples opinions, that's cheeky and you have produced albums and so have thousands of people, it doesn't qualify them to officially list sound quality order on albums produced by Mick or Keith like this is the way it is.
I think in each of our minds we all see the Stones as our band, you know I've always seen this band as my band and I'm sure you and others on here do to, it's great that way, i happen to like some of Dirty Work, it's a crap shoot here to admit that but it's my opinion there are a couple tracks on DW that i prefer over ER. I just don't think anyone should question that i like DW, disagree yes, have your own opinion but don't question my tastes. It's like questioning a person liking Jazz, Rap or classical music, it's gaslighting in a way.

Although the perception of music is subjective, there also are facts involved.

When you say this "Yeah it's the same with Emotional Rescue, it's all a bit muddy and unclear" it's wrong. It's not an opinion I disagree with, but wrong.

On that album the sound is crisp, and it's very easy to hear the different instruments.

However, the original reason I reacted to your post had to do with your theory about the "WWIII", when you stated that the Undercover sessions must have triggered the conflict. It was the ER-sessions, when Keith stated that he was clean and ready to take on a heavier load musically (and that Mick wouldn't let him).

It's good with opinions, but they should be based on facts, if possible.

Date: May 11, 2021 14:34

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Black And Blue
Tattoo You
ER
Sticky Fingers

When you say this "Yeah it's the same with Emotional Rescue, it's all a bit muddy and unclear" it's wrong. It's not an opinion I disagree with, but wrong.

On that album the sound is crisp, and it's very easy to hear the different instruments.

However, the original reason I reacted to your post had to do with your theory about the "WWIII", when you stated that the Undercover sessions must have triggered the conflict. It was the ER-sessions, when Keith stated that he was clean and ready to take on a heavier load musically (and that Mick wouldn't let him).

Sorry mate i got out of bed the wrong way this morning eye rolling smiley
Unnecessary rant on my part.

Yes wasn't it Some Girls when Keith said he was back, over his Heroin addiction and wanted to help out more with the album, then he realised Mick had got used to taking the reigns and Keith felt Mick was perceiving Keith's enthusiasm as a power struggle, and once a person thinks he has a power struggle you have a power struggle. So maybe WW3 goes back to Some Girls ?

It's funny because when i first listened to ER on my cassette player lol, I didn't think the album was crisp and clear at all, especially from the perspective of Keiths guitar sound, gone was the thundering riffs and classic rock , more of a muffled Keith, his guitar seemed to lose its edge, i felt disappointed with the sound initially, listening to it now it's fantastic, unique really but it was all a bit boring and grown up like the second side of TY. Of course i was wrong and grew to love both albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 15:05 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: May 11, 2021 15:22

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

Exile
Let It Bleed
Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tahoo You

Level pegging ER & GHS

Black And Blue
Tattoo You
ER
Sticky Fingers

Sorry mate i got out of bed the wrong way this morning eye rolling smiley
Unnecessary rant on my part.

Yes wasn't it Some Girls when Keith said he was back, over his Heroin addiction and wanted to help out more with the album, then he realised Mick had got used to taking the reigns and Keith felt Mick was perceiving Keith's enthusiasm as a power struggle, and once a person thinks he has a power struggle you have a power struggle. So maybe WW3 goes back to Some Girls ?

It's funny because when i first listened to ER on my cassette player lol, I didn't think the album was crisp and clear at all, especially from the perspective of Keiths guitar sound, gone was the thundering riffs and classic rock , more of a muffled Keith, his guitar seemed to lose its edge, i felt disappointed with the sound initially, listening to it now it's fantastic, unique really but it was all a bit boring and grown up like the second side of TY. Of course i was wrong and grew to love both albums.

No worries, mate thumbs up

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: May 11, 2021 15:58

I always figured this song was about Bianca

Date: May 11, 2021 18:56

longlongwinter
I always figured this song was about Bianca

And there was me thinking these were Keith's lyrics

Date: May 11, 2021 20:16

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Biased? How ridiculous is that? So someone can’t have an opinion about music? To mesongs like Dance , Indian Girl, Down in the Hole , Emotional Rescue, Send it to Me, She’s So Cold are weak. All the people who rip Micks solo music like Goddess in the Doorway andsongs like Blinded by Rainbows andAnybody Seen My Baby are biased I guess under your rules

Oh wow, my rules. That's a load.

Are Mick's songs on GITD good? That's not bias. Rolling Stone giving it a 5 star review or whatever is bias.

Mannered? Of course they're mannered. All their songs are mannered. All songs are mannered.

Pretentious? Not sure about that. It seems that a few songs are done a bit tongue and cheek lyrically. Maybe that's what you mean by pretentious.

Weak? Well, that may have some truth to it. It doesn't matter how well produced something is or how great it's mixed, a weak song is a weak song. Of the songs you mentioned I can understand how you - and a lot of people - think Indian Girl is weak. But the title track, She's So Cold, Dance and Down In The Hole are weak? They're not. Send It To Me is funny. It's musically fantastic. As a song? Yeah, it's weak.

I'm not stuck in whatever mentality it is that people have about what isn't the 1968-1972 Rolling Stones music, which is why I said your understanding of the context is biased IT SEEMS.

Date: May 11, 2021 20:26

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Oh wow, my rules.

Are Mick's songs on GITD good? That's not bias. Rolling Stone giving it a 5 star review or whatever is bias.

Mannered? Of course they're mannered. All their songs are mannered. All songs are mannered.

Pretentious? Not sure about that. It seems that a few songs are done a bit tongue and cheek lyrically. Maybe that's what you mean by pretentious.

Weak? Well, that may have some truth to it. It doesn't matter how well produced something is or how great it's mixed, a weak song is a weak song. Of the songs you mentioned I can understand how you - and a lot of people - think Indian Girl is weak. But the title track, She's So Cold, Dance and Down In The Hole are weak? They're not. Send It To Me is funny. It's musically fantastic. As a song? Yeah, it's weak.

I'm not stuck in whatever mentality it is that people have about what isn't the 1968-1972 Rolling Stones music, which is why I said your understanding of the context is biased IT SEEMS.
I like the 1989-1997 albumsway better than ER, Dirty Work and Undercover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 21:24 by Taylor1.

Date: May 12, 2021 03:46

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Oh wow, my rules.

I've often felt that STEEL WHEELS could've been mixed better. It's a bit flat, maybe a little too clean. VOODOO and BRIGES certainly have some vitality to them, regardless of the mixed bag of songs on both. Perhaps it's the different focus they had going on vs ER-DW albums. There is a bit of a progression of similarity between SG through U even though they all sound, for the most part, anyway, completely different.

Given the body of work they have it's nice to have a few loose bolts in the bag.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2021 03:53

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Oh wow, my rules.

I don't know how old you are, but that seems like maybe they were your first albums? (dirty work asides - I think we have consensus on that one.)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2021 11:01

DandelionPowderman

And the story that Keith envisioned "Dance pt.1" as an instrumental track (which imo would have been great) but no Mick had written pages of lyrics for that song.

Date: May 12, 2021 11:17

dcba
DandelionPowderman

And the story that Keith envisioned "Dance pt.1" as an instrumental track (which imo would have been great) but no Mick had written pages of lyrics for that song.

Yep, although they "released" the instrumental (Dance, Pt. 3) as a radio promo.

Love it!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-12 11:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home