Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Association Football
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 01:06

im a celtic fan, so thats at least 2 on here, but ive always liked english football from days gone by, money has ruined club football in many countries, i also think english clubs get far more money from sky that they are entitled to regarding viewing figures. when rangers were in the spl, celtic or rangers games v teams like hearts, hibs or aberdeen would be far more interesting than mid table english games like stoke v west brom, and get almost as many viewing but when the money gets divied out, scottish teams got peanuts in comparisen, so really we were subsidising the epl to a degree.

also theres the farce that the championship play off winners can make far more money than the championship outright winners despite play off winners potentially finishing as low as 6th, that is just plain wrong, being rewarded for failure, while a more succesfull team misses out on the financial pot. whoever thought that up. it lacks sporting integrity and makes a mockery of common sense.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 8, 2015 04:34

Nice to know there's another Celtic fan on the board.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2015 15:58

We're all Celtic-Fans...thumbs up

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 9, 2015 15:41

Hail hail the king of kings

Re: OT: The Premier League
Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: October 9, 2015 16:49

buttons67
its not the best league in the world despite being reported many times as being that.

european results in recent seasons show where english football stands and it is 2nd best to the spanish league, anyone who says otherwise just dosent understand the importance of results.

from midtable to the lower end of the premiership some of the football is mediocre and many players dont have a football brain, they cant spot a pass quickly, they dribble with the ball when the better option is to pass to a teammate in space who has a better chance to score.

the league this season though is exciting, man city as leaders have already lost twice, and the top teams can all take points from each other. hopefully it dosent become a 1 horse race, if arsenal can be more consistant then it could be interesting come the end of the season.

In Spain it is either Barcelona or Real Madrid, at least in England the odd wildcard still has a chance...

Re: OT: The Premier League
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:28

Great to see Wales and and Northern Ireland qualify for Euro 2016, their first major tournaments since 1958 and 1986 respectively.

Olly.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:26

As there are norwegians in prominent positions in Celtic, the media here follows the club closely and hence people are rooting for them.

A talented team, which still has a long way to go to establish themselves among the best European teams, imo.

Date: October 11, 2015 22:21

Yes, DandelionPowderman, Celtic have a very long way to go if they are to compete consistently with Europe's elite, although they have beaten Barcelona in recent years.

One of the main factors inhibiting their development is the lack of competition they face in the Scottish Premiership, made worse by the absence of Rangers in recent years.

There has been a long-running debate on whether Celtic and Rangers should join the Premier League in England, to provide the elite Scottish clubs with greater attendances, income and coverage, but I would be very surprised if this ever came to pass.

Olly.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:44

Olly
Yes, DandelionPowderman, Celtic have a very long way to go if they are to compete consistently with Europe's elite, although they have beaten Barcelona in recent years.

One of the main factors inhibiting their development is the lack of competition they face in the Scottish Premiership, made worse by the absence of Rangers in recent years.

There has been a long-running debate on whether Celtic and Rangers should join the Premier League in England, to provide the elite Scottish clubs with greater attendances, income and coverage, but I would be very surprised if this ever came to pass.

thumbs up

It sometimes suprises me the BBC coverage of the scottish football, even sometimes over covering the football league.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 11, 2015 23:39

DandelionPowderman
As there are norwegians in prominent positions in Celtic, the media here follows the club closely and hence people are rooting for them.

A talented team, which still has a long way to go to establish themselves among the best European teams, imo.

With the inclusion of Welsh teams in the English leagues, the likes of Celtic would only benefit by joining Swansea and Cardiff. The Scottish game is weak. If Celtic want to compete with the best on a competitive playing field, they need to be playing top-class opposition week-in, week-out. Let's see how they fair in, say, The Championship (England's second-tier) and take it from there.

Date: October 11, 2015 23:44

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

With the inclusion of Welsh teams in the English leagues, the likes of Celtic would only benefit by joining Swansea and Cardiff. The Scottish game is weak. If Celtic want to compete with the best on a competitive playing field, they need to be playing top-class opposition week-in, week-out. Let's see how they fair in, say, The Championship (England's second-tier) and take it from there.

That would indeed be interesting, as that's a very tough league to win.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 00:07

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Hi, I'm Scottish and a big Hearts fan. Imho, there is zero chance of this ever happening. There are historic exceptions, such as Cardiff & Swansea, but UEFA are generally dead against cross border leagues. Otherwise you'd have Ajax, Feyenoord and Anderlecht wanting to join the Bundesliga, Benfica, Sporting and Porto joining La Liga etc. Also, why would the English league want to let Celtic and Rangers in? They bring a certain historic baggage that most English fans are now well aware of and they neither need nor want it as they don't currently have anything similar amongst any of their own clubs.

Date: October 12, 2015 00:13

grzegorz67, what do you mean by 'historic baggage'? There's plenty of history amongst the English clubs.

Olly.

Date: October 12, 2015 00:44

Olly
grzegorz67, what do you mean by 'historic baggage'? There's plenty of history amongst the English clubs.

Let's just say that I'm going to respect Bjornulf's (very sensible) rule of 'No religion or politics'. That covers it very nicely. If you're not Scottish or Irish and you want to know more just do some googling. English clubs do have plenty of history, but they tend to keep most of theirs on the field.

Date: October 12, 2015 00:48

Ah, I see, you mean the 'historic baggage' between Celtic and Rangers specifically, in this instance.

Olly.

Date: October 12, 2015 00:57

Olly,

Hospital accident and emergency departments in the Glasgow area are normally absolute carnage on match days between the pair. The violence often takes place in pubs and people's homes and not necessarily in the stadium and around. There's also a big spike in domestic violence after matches. Imho, there's a 0% chance of any other league ever accepting them. Which for me is a real pity as the rest of the Scottish league would be quite competitive without them, if a bit poorer.

Date: October 18, 2015 21:00

DandelionPowderman
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

That would indeed be interesting, as that's a very tough league to win.

It is, yes. The same applies to League One and Two. As I made clear in an earlier comment in this thread; in my opinion, lower-league football is where it's at. Many may snigger, I'm sure, but I am getting more enjoyment from following my local League One team, than, say, Manchester United, whom I am partial to.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 18, 2015 22:22

the idea of celtic going to play football in the english league is fantasy.

it isnt going to happen or we will have full scale anarchy all over the world of football, as many clubs will want to pick and choose which league they want in, and the teams in that league will reject them.

if celtic were to play in the english premiership, they would need to start at the bottom, and i dont mean the 4rth tier league which is called league 2, they would start where afc wimbledon started, at the 10th tier league of english football, so in theory celtic would need to wait 9 years to hit the premiership and thats only if they get promoted every season.

if celtic were allowed into english football, a lot of clubs would want to change leagues, how would that work, its unfeasable as it would create a free for all menatality, who would administer each league, who would decide how many qualify for europe from each league, how would the coefficients of each nation and individual clubs be worked out that allows seeding in europe and the amount of teams that participate from each country, what if many clubs decided to change leagues more than once over a short period of time, what if clubs already excisting in a league didnt want another club joining and voted them to not be allowed in, what if clubs went to uefa, or court of arbritation for sport if they wernt happy with decisions and there would no doubt be a lot of arguments if clubs had the freedom to go where they liked. what if clubs wanted to switch continent, ie egypts champions wanting to play in turkey and the champions league.

people who have this fantasy about celtic playing in england just dont see the big picture and all the problems i have mentioned above.

sadly celtic are stuck in the scottish league for the forseable future.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 21, 2015 03:50

Olly

Celtic and Sevco Rangers are not elite Scottish clubs. They are no more deserving of being given a golden egg chance at greater attendances, income and coverage via English league than any other Scottish club.

Olly

The main factor inhabiting their development is the club itself. It's delusions of grandeur, sense of entitlement and cheated never defeated attitude.

Pretty sure the English league would rather do without all the related baggage of septic racism, terrorist supporting ways etc etc. IRA songs being sang during remembrance day minutes silence? thumbs down

This fantasy of moving to English league only confirms how delusional the club and many fans are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 04:09 by His Majesty.

Date: November 16, 2015 20:47

All of dmay's 'Happy b'day' threads have reminded me: Today is Paul Scholes' B'day, regarded by many as the greatest midfielder of his generation, renowned for his tactical vision as well as his strikes and volleys from distance.

Feast your eyes on these beauties.

Against Barcelona:

[www.youtube.com]

Against Aston Villa:

[www.youtube.com]

Against Bradford:

[www.youtube.com]

Olly.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:40

i like Aston Villa. And Celtic, Glentoran, HSV, Portadown and Magdeburg. Dunno why.

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:31

For those who like football this saturday we have a Madrid vs FC. Barcelona ...

subir imagenes

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 19:36 by Stones CAT.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:54

i like Aston Villa. And Celtic, Glentoran, HSV, Portadown and Magdeburg. Dunno why.

Another Villa fan on the board. Who'd have thought it!

Date: November 18, 2015 14:40

Scooby

Another Villa fan on the board. Who'd have thought it!
where is Peter Withe today ?

Date: November 18, 2015 19:04

I don't know the exact whereabouts of Withe, but his son is still managing in Thailand, I believe.

It's possible he splits his time between the UK and the Land of Smiles.

Olly.

Date: November 18, 2015 21:40

was in the amateur team of Valur when valur were champions of iceland 1980 and played Aston Villa in the 1 round of euoropean cup next season. thei beat us heavily and got all the way to the final.

Date: November 19, 2015 01:13

Stones CAT

And we have Manchester City vs Liverpool.

Olly.

Date: November 19, 2015 09:41

was in the amateur team of Valur when valur were champions of iceland 1980 and played Aston Villa in the 1 round of euoropean cup next season. thei beat us heavily and got all the way to the final.

You featured in a professional football match? Villa were a strong team in the early 80's, I believe. Could you kindly tell us more?

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: November 19, 2015 13:28

Olly
Stones CAT

What's the big Soccerball game in the MLS?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 19, 2015 13:59

Olly
Stones CAT

Come on you Blues! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home